Why have Lisa's parents stopped talking to the media?

Thanks for your reply Eileen. I can seen a reason why the networks and other national shows may ignore the anniversary of Lisa's disappearance. You mention the Penn State scandal as a possible reason why ABC lost interest in the Lisa Irwin case.

If another big story breaks at the time of the anniversary and no new information is available in the Lisa Irwin case, I wouldn't be surprised if an anniversary recap show would be bumped by the major media players. Then you have the presidential election on Nov. 6 drawing a lot of attention. So I don't know, I guess we'll have to wait and see. JMO

If something huge were to break, and every show was dedicated to talking about it, we probably wouldn't see much TV coverage, but that doesn't mean the networks couldn't write an article and put it on their website. Even when the Aurora shooting was receiving wall-to-wall coverage, there were still headlines for other stories on their websites.

If something huge were to break, and every show was dedicated to talking about it, we probably wouldn't see much TV coverage, but that doesn't mean the networks couldn't write an article and put it on their website. Even when the Aurora shooting was receiving wall-to-wall coverage, there were still headlines for other stories on their websites.

I agree. To expect that there would be zero coverage of the anniversary by all media sources would be unrealistic. How much coverage and by who is yet to been seen.

I still like your example of ABC going hot and heavy with the Lisa Irwin story and then almost dropping it completely. I guess it's all about the ratings. JMO.

Hard for the media to do a story when the parents refuse to talk to them.

Hard for the media to do a story when the parents refuse to talk to them.

While I'm sure that the media and especially the local media would love to talk to Lisa's parents, I'm sure that they could do a story if they like to. JMO.

I agree. To expect that there would be zero coverage of the anniversary by all media sources would be unrealistic. How much coverage and by who is yet to been seen.

I still like your example of ABC going hot and heavy with the Lisa Irwin story and then almost dropping it completely. I guess it's all about the ratings. JMO.

But the case had to be showing pretty high public interest for GMA to talk about it for almost a month straight....:waitasec:

But the case had to be showing pretty high public interest for GMA to talk about it for almost a month straight....:waitasec:

That sounds good to me. The first month of this case is a bit different news wise than the one year anniversary. At least it is to me. Like you said, maybe the Penn State scandal was big enough to get the coverage and that later on the Lisa Irwin case just wasn't worth it for them to cover. JMO.

If the parents desire coverage, do you all think it would be difficult for them to obtain?
If they don't actively seek coverage, do you think it's because they have something to hide or because they feel so persecuted by the media?

I do agree that the media can (and should) cover this whether or not the parents contribute. As a matter of fact, IMO, their contribution or lack thereof could be a major point of the presentation ~ as I have lost hope that any further publicity would actually help find Baby Lisa.

If the parents desire coverage, do you all think it would be difficult for them to obtain?
If they don't actively seek coverage, do you think it's because they have something to hide or because they feel so persecuted by the media?

I do agree that the media can (and should) cover this whether or not the parents contribute. As a matter of fact, IMO, their contribution or lack thereof could be a major point of the presentation ~ as I have lost hope that any further publicity would actually help find Baby Lisa.

If DB and JI get any coverage for this case it may depend on if they have something new to say. Whether they seek media coverage or not won't tell me if their trying to hide something. I think that mainstream media has been fair with them but maybe they feel different.

Even if Lisa's parents don't participate in any kind of media coverage , I think that the media could come up with some story's that would honor and respect Lisa Irwin no matter where she is or what happened to her.

If DB and JI get any coverage for this case it may depend on if they have something new to say. Whether they seek media coverage or not won't tell me if their trying to hide something. I think that mainstream media has been fair with them but maybe they feel different.

Even if Lisa's parents don't participate in any kind of media coverage , I think that the media could come up with some story's that would honor and respect Lisa Irwin no matter where she is or what happened to her.

I, too, wish the media would do a story out of honor and respect for Lisa Irwin but I am too jaded to believe that would be their motivation.

I would be critical of DB and JI if they refused further coverage even though I've little confidence that it would help find this sweet baby. I would think that they see no profit by the exposure. Because I have perused so many other cases here on WS where the family and friends (and even WS members) are running around posting flyers and calling in all their chits with people in public positions to get any word out, I would fault the parents for losing a valuable advantage that is hard to come by. Even if they had nothing new to say. It would be, even as you said, a small way to honor and respect their missing baby; wouldn't it?

I don't know how anyone could defend the parents not talking to the media for the anniversary. They did interviews with two media outlets back in May, so they can't use the excuse that they think the media is biased against them, since they obviously feel pretty positive about those two shows.

I, too, wish the media would do a story out of honor and respect for Lisa Irwin but I am too jaded to believe that would be their motivation.

I would be critical of DB and JI if they refused further coverage even though I've little confidence that it would help find this sweet baby. I would think that they see no profit by the exposure. Because I have perused so many other cases here on WS where the family and friends (and even WS members) are running around posting flyers and calling in all their chits with people in public positions to get any word out, I would fault the parents for losing a valuable advantage that is hard to come by. Even if they had nothing new to say. It would be, even as you said, a small way to honor and respect their missing baby; wouldn't it?

I am in no way defending DB and JI in their lack of cooperation with the media. And I would hope that no one profits from a child being taken from her home. I'm not going to rely on anyone but myself to honor and respect Lisa Irwin. JMO.

I don't know how anyone could defend the parents not talking to the media for the anniversary. They did interviews with two media outlets back in May, so they can't use the excuse that they think the media is biased against them, since they obviously feel pretty positive about those two shows.

I guess that we will have to wait and see if they refuse to talk to the media about Lisa on the anniversary of her disappearance. Then I would assume we could discuss whether anyone defending them would be right or not.

Here is my theory about ABC’s coverage of the case. I think when the story first broke, producers decided that this case would be the successor to the Anthony case. But they had to convince the public of that. I think GMA decided to use the tactic of giving a case significant coverage, of talking about anything related to the case, in the hopes that they could generate enormous public interest. Now I believe there was interest in Lisa’s case, but it’s hard for me to be convinced that interest was so high that the public wanted to see the family trick-or-treating, especially when coverage decreased dramatically in November.

Now, I think the producers for GMA saw that interest in the case was not high enough to continue to justify being in Kansas City, and of desperately trying to find something to talk about. Also, it was becoming obvious that the case wasn’t going to trial, and I don’t think they wanted to pursue an unsolved case. I think they decided that they would talk about the case when something happened, or if the parents decided to talk.

So, from Halloween to early February, we don’t hear from D&J. I believe their team decided that it would be beneficial for them to lay low for a few months so when they finally talked, interest would be very high. So with the parents not talking, and LE not releasing any new information, GMA pretty much dropped the case.

In my opinion, the reason why interest in this case waned after a month, is because of the media’s desire to make this the new Casey/Caylee case. People were frusturated that Casey got away with murder, and turned into a celebrity in the process. People hear about the media deal, the New York lawyers, and the benefactor, and it left a bad taste in their mouth. I think people could just *feel* the media trying to make Deborah into the new Casey, and they (consciously or unconsciously) changed the channel.

Locals have contacted the KC media and they tell them that they'd be delighted to do a story on Lisa, but the parents won't do it. Simple as that.

Locals have contacted the KC media and they tell them that they'd be delighted to do a story on Lisa, but the parents won't do it. Simple as that.

But they don't need the parents' permission, or an interview to write something about the case. I guess you could say nothing is happening, but I feel like they won't do anything that requires effort, such as interviewing other people besides the parents. Why not get a source inside LE to leak things about the case? Okay, that's a bit unethical, but that's what media does when they want to cover a case but LE isn't talking. Why not investigate that media deal that the local media likes to repeat over and over about? Maybe they would be delighted to do a story on Lisa, but I'm just not seeing much local media interest.

Remember the balloon launch and how only one media was there and reported on it? So were all the local news channels invited and only one showed up? Or did the parents just invite one network? Why would they do that?

But they don't need the parents' permission, or an interview to write something about the case. I guess you could say nothing is happening, but I feel like they won't do anything that requires effort, such as interviewing other people besides the parents. Why not get a source inside LE to leak things about the case? Okay, that's a bit unethical, but that's what media does when they want to cover a case but LE isn't talking. Why not investigate that media deal that the local media likes to repeat over and over about? Maybe they would be delighted to do a story on Lisa, but I'm just not seeing much local media interest.

Remember the balloon launch and how only one media was there and reported on it? So were all the local news channels invited and only one showed up? Or did the parents just invite one network? Why would they do that?

Not for sure, but a neighbor said that they (neighbor) called the media when they saw them doing it.

There's more to this story than Lisa's parents opinion of things. Maybe these locals can call the media back and remind them of that.

Is it just me....or does the local media sound passive aggressive here?

Is it just me....or does the local media sound passive aggressive here?

Oh, I'm sure they are still miffed about the initial snub in this case, and I can't say I blame them.

The thing is, the story is getting DB and JI to talk. Without that what else is there really to report? :dunno:

Oh, I'm sure they are still miffed about the initial snub in this case, and I can't say I blame them.

The thing is, the story is getting DB and JI to talk. Without that what else is there really to report? :dunno:

There is more to this story than just getting DB and JI to talk. Heck do a story about them not talking. How about talking to LE and maybe interviewing some attorney's about this case possibly becoming a cold case. How about getting a dog expert to talk about the dog hit in the bedroom. I don't think that the local media is all that interested in doing any stories about Lisa right now. Maybe at the one year anniversary they will. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back