WI WI - Kelly Nolan, 22, Madison, 23 Jun 2007 #2

Soooooo the police just kinda forget that they were planning a press conference, and the media just kinda lets them get away with it...

Meanwhile a killer is on the loose...

The WI crime lab is a VERY popular target for local LE not solving crimes. I'm not saying that there's not a backlog, but DNA doesn't solve crimes. Crimes were being solved for hundreds/thousands of years before this using DETECTIVE work... DNA is supposed to confirm, not find the culprit.
Exactly right!! They would probably have someone in their sight right now if they had kept the public involved in their initial investigation instead of being so cavalier about it, too!! Forensic evidence is a wonderful TOOL...but without a perp to match it to...they don't have a thing!

Exactly right!! They would probably have someone in their sight right now if they had kept the public involved in their initial investigation instead of being so cavalier about it, too!! Forensic evidence is a wonderful TOOL...but without a perp to match it to...they don't have a thing!

Even if the DNA comes back (assuming they're waiting on DNA...) you're right - they need the match. AND - it seems likely that this may be a first time crime... if the perp is a college-age student - so there may not be a DNA profile for him. Thus, good old fashioned detective work must happen first.
I know the crime lab is backed up, but it can't be blamed for all the problems.

Soooooo the police just kinda forget that they were planning a press conference, and the media just kinda lets them get away with it...

Meanwhile a killer is on the loose...

The WI crime lab is a VERY popular target for local LE not solving crimes. I'm not saying that there's not a backlog, but DNA doesn't solve crimes. Crimes were being solved for hundreds/thousands of years before this using DETECTIVE work... DNA is supposed to confirm, not find the culprit.

Hi everyone. Sorry for my absence... I'm very upset that there has been NOTHING done with the Kelly Nolan case. Does anyone remember there being such a horrible backlog at the state crime lab when Theresa Halbach was murdered? I sure don't.

This is from the link I posted the other day.

http://wkow.madison.com/News/index.php?ID=13779

Ahhhh I see it now. The trick word is "Tentatively"

Thanks for the article, I am glad that Greta has taken this subject up in her blog and informed viewers, hopefully this can help expedite the process and push Madison LE.

The delay and secrecy is pointless. The more time it takes to nail down the killer, the chances of him relocating and killing more women.:(

Hi everyone. Sorry for my absence... I'm very upset that there has been NOTHING done with the Kelly Nolan case. Does anyone remember there being such a horrible backlog at the state crime lab when Theresa Halbach was murdered? I sure don't.

Excellent point!! They shipped off her car and got results on at least some of the materials VERY quickly. But then, of course, they had a SUSPECT... and didn't have to blame the crime lab because the case wasn't moving forward...

I feel very sorry for all parents of students going back into UW schools this fall. They must be frantic about this murder.

Thanks for the article, I am glad that Greta has taken this subject up in her blog and informed viewers, hopefully this can help expedite the process and push Madison LE.

The delay and secrecy is pointless. The more time it takes to nail down the killer, the chances of him relocating and killing more women.:(
What makes you think this killer has to relocate? Seems he could simply kill more women where he is and get away scot free...just as one has done in the past. Have you SEEN the number of unsolved cases in their jurisdiction?!

Perp would be a fool to relocate he has it made here in Wis / he got away with murder & probably could again & again!!!!!

What makes you think this killer has to relocate? Seems he could simply kill more women where he is and get away scot free...just as one has done in the past. Have you SEEN the number of unsolved cases in their jurisdiction?!

Relocate???? No way!

Your research has found there's no place safer than Madison for a killer to hide out!!

Maybe if they haven't...they need to finally consult with the probably retired detectives on the other cold case files.

Excellent point!! They shipped off her car and got results on at least some of the materials VERY quickly. But then, of course, they had a SUSPECT... and didn't have to blame the crime lab because the case wasn't moving forward...

Yes Ma'am.. you have it spot on.

Absolutely, we have been discussing it for months. Then what's the hold up?

I can't believe it either - no news... of course if LE manages to solve the crime they will all pat each other on the back and say how they managed to keep everything under wraps...

I can't believe it either - no news... of course if LE manages to solve the crime they will all pat each other on the back and say how they managed to keep everything under wraps...

Ang,

LE should of been all over this case, tossing every tidbit out to the media to keep it in the spotlight.
Makes me so :banghead:

The only thing I find heartening about this is that Kelly's family is quiet. Either they're consumed with grief, or LE has told them what is going on and asked them to keep things under wraps. Otherwise, if this were my family, I would be doing what I could to keep it in the media.

Another homicide (man at a motel)

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/breaking_news/index.php?ntid=206693

I doubt it's connected. However, it seems to me that this is a pretty high homicide rate (2 that I know of) in Madison this year. When I was on campus, there was a drug-related murder, and I believe at that time it was the first in 5 years. Maybe that was only campus...

Any Madisonites know the stats?

Another forum discussing the lack of media coverage for Kelly...

http://www.madison.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28996

It cites another article saying that Downtown officers are looking closer at male-female couples where the woman is drunk.

Predator camouflage'

Making things feel safer is another goal of the initiative, especially after the unsolved murder of 22-year-old Kelly Nolan, who disappeared June 23 after a night of partying in Downtown Madison. Her body was found July 9 in the town of Dunn, but authorities still have not released the cause of her death.

Police believe Nolan, who had been drinking, likely left the Downtown area on the arm of her killer, a probability that haunts Downtown officers, McCaw said.

"We believe, if not one of us, then all of us may have driven right by them," without noticing anything amiss about a man and woman walking together, McCaw said. "It's absolutely perfect predator camouflage."

The night Nolan disappeared wasn't one of the nine special enforcement nights held so far under the initiative. But it has prompted police to pay closer attention to male-female couples where the woman looks impaired.

Officers have been told to question the man in such instances, asking him for the woman's cell-phone number, for example, or her address or middle name.

"We want better looks at (those) couples," McCaw instructed the officers during a briefing before the teams went out last Saturday. "If you don't like what you're seeing or hearing, deal with it."

Thanks for all your updates, you'd think they would have something by now!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back