WI WI - Mary Ellen Kaldenberg, 17, Kenosha, 14 Feb 1967

The impound lot where they take vehicles that are towed, yes?

(Which if I am right means that there should be records of vehicles towed to the impound lot?)

I was wondering what other crime scene regions you might have been referring to......and what year was the rambler?

Hi Tam:

I was just thinking of a teenage girl, Shirley Collins, who was smashed under a concrete slab in Australia in 1953 so that's why I said no more - too much of a stretch.

It says the Rambler was a 1962 model.

The hearse had been there previously, how long I don't know. But I do know it had been there for a while, I believe it may have either had flat tires or maybe missing tires. don't know but it was already there prior to this maniac leaving HER there. What kind of person does something like this?! Leaving a poor stabbed to death young innocent girl in a hearse before her time. What do you think he was trying to say by choosing the hearse? What kind of fascination with the dead does this say? Sure wish we had the answers. Hell at this stage I will take a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The impound lot where they take vehicles that are towed, yes?

(Which if I am right means that there should be records of vehicles towed to the impound lot?)

Correct and I would think.

They did know who used the hearse and that it was towed in, I think, because it was blocking a snow plow from doing its work.

The account I have says that the hearse had been there several months.

I don't know if it could be seen by anyone walking past the lot but perhaps that was the case.

Apparently, a 1948 Packard hearse was considered next to junk in 1967. Today, I think it would be worth over $100,000.

The hearse was in a police lot where they stored old vehicles. So was known by many people. The public was aware as the lot was about to auction off the old hearse. Also it was a place where kids would go to roam around & play as it was 3 children that discovered Mary Ellens body. So seems that the killer had to either be a local or maybe knew someone that was from the area that told the killer about it or maybe had gone there in the past. I find it strange that the killer just put her in that hearse because he stumbled upon it. Highly unlikely but who knows. To me the hearse if very significant. I think he was making some sort of statement by putting her in there. Maybe for shock value. I find the thinking rather of a young mind, immature mind or someone of a "slow" mind. Perhaps the actions show some sort of logic as that's where a body ends up right, in a hearse. Like a young person might think. Who knows.

I also should have said that the hearse prior to being taken off the road & put in the auto pound lot it was used sometimes for hauling around a baseball team. Don't know if that was a little league team or what type of team. But strangely enough that was one of it's uses.

Yes, I know!!!!!! How about that info. Since 1995 he has been posting on Ancestry.com that he is a writer looking for info on her murder. He has asked for pictures and also specifically looking for a friend of hers from the 60's. Then states he needs one more piece of information to finalize his research and he will reveal the killer. Interesting. The problem I have with this is then why hasn't he taken his information to the police, which I know for a fact he has not!!!!!!! If I already knew who the killer was I sure would pass that information over to the detectives. Oh and he states that he himself knew her, he says he was a good friend of her brother Eddie growing up. He is a local of Kenosha, WI Robert Crane if you have solved this PLEASE call the Kenosha, WI police dept & speak with Sgt Tappa or if you are still not ready to do that will you email me at tammyjolene@roadrunner.com & offer our family some hope.

So happy there are people out there who care about Mary Ellen's unsolved murder. I received private message from you "D" you are so kind. I emailed you back today. Sorry for the delay. I have been ill and unable to be on computer. If anyone has any thoughts on murders in the Michigan area from the 60's, 70's and even 80's would you please private message me. Any murderer out there could be a possible suspect and may help. PLEASE someone out there help us solve this horrific crime. I ask all to pray to God to guide us in the right direction.

Being from Wisconsin myself this case caught my eye.

I think the hearse was simply opportunistic for disposal but I do agree whomever used it for that purpose knew it was there.

Is there any possibility Mary Ellen may have been pregnant at the time of her murder? The concrete being staged across the abdomen makes me wonder.

Was her boyfriend ever interviewed? Did he know she planned on running to the store before their date? Was there perhaps a phone call to a friend before she left the house?
How did the boyfriend react to her murder? (Not trying to implicate the boyfriend but we have learned much in terms of criminology since this murder)

A possible suspect is mentioned in one of the articles but not named - what was that possible suspect's relationship to Mary Ellen? Was the murder also committed in the hearse? How close to the impound 'lot' was the store? Did she have to pass by the lot to get there? Did anyone see her on the way to the store?

I am from the town where this happened and from what I have learned in articles (I was 5 at the time it happened), the impound lot was about a mile away. I agree that she may have been placed there after the murder. When this happened there were 2 large manufacturing plants, several taverns, and 3 stores in the area so I am not sure which store she was going to. Also I don't recall if she ever made it to the store. I am surprised that no one remembers anything since the elementary school, junior high school, and a park in the area so there must have been some kids around because it wasn't too late. This is very strange and has been on my mind for a long time.

I must concur with those posters who have seen a 'ritualistic' element in the combination of shoes placed beside her, concrete slab placed on her abdomen and her body placed in the hearse.

Seems to me a kind of "burial" ritual. Almost reverent. I'd be interested in any reports concerning local mental patients with a history of violence, religious mania or harassing women, possibly recently released from hospital or jail at the time.

Something (mainly that the location took some effort to get to, rather than a vacant house or lot with more convenient, faster access) tells me the hearse was known to this person, it meant something to them (personally or symbolically) and that they were probably local.

Bizarre ritual says to me: the guy may have had mental problems. It's possible he was locally treated for those.

So happy there are people out there who care about Mary Ellen's unsolved murder. I received private message from you "D" you are so kind. I emailed you back today. Sorry for the delay. I have been ill and unable to be on computer. If anyone has any thoughts on murders in the Michigan area from the 60's, 70's and even 80's would you please private message me. Any murderer out there could be a possible suspect and may help. PLEASE someone out there help us solve this horrific crime. I ask all to pray to God to guide us in the right direction.
ooops I meant WISCONSIN (not michigan) ugh

I wonder if LE still have the concrete slab-can they get DNA or fingerprints off it now-I know its been a long time!
Unsure of that, however a concrete slab is so bumpy, seems it would be difficult. I would say however at the time I am sure they would have checked for fingerprints back then. Thank you for your interest, God Bless.

I must concur with those posters who have seen a 'ritualistic' element in the combination of shoes placed beside her, concrete slab placed on her abdomen and her body placed in the hearse.

Seems to me a kind of "burial" ritual. Almost reverent. I'd be interested in any reports concerning local mental patients with a history of violence, religious mania or harassing women, possibly recently released from hospital or jail at the time.

Something (mainly that the location took some effort to get to, rather than a vacant house or lot with more convenient, faster access) tells me the hearse was known to this person, it meant something to them (personally or symbolically) and that they were probably local.

Bizarre ritual says to me: the guy may have had mental problems. It's possible he was locally treated for those.
Thank you for your insight. I too feel a definite significance to her being placed in the hearse. Logical? Crazy? Shock Value? All of the above? I continue to pray we will get our answers and solve this crime. I ask all who are aware of this story please pray for guidance and direction from God to assist the authorities in finding this murderer and bring them to justice. God Bless.

While I would think the bumpy of a block would help not hinder DNA attaching to an object. Skin cells would be easier taken off a body,(by the roughness of the block) and even old body fluids might be there. I am also curious if they tested any of her clothing for DNA? Also, while I understand why the writer included all of the other murders in his/her newspaper article, it is painfully obvious that the male shooting victims, at the least probably are not related.
Also, it says her body was "frozen" when found? Was the hearse hidden well enough for her body to have been there that long?
Sorry, not trying to ask hurtful questions, simply attempting to pin down some facts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back