Will the players get out of these charges?

Florida codes, the ones cited on their jail logs have nothing to do with dollar value. It is strictly based on weight of the narcotic. In this case, the weight of narcotic sold falls within the specifics of the code. The values are listed for trafficking, they met those values. Dollars mean nothing. Snitch or not, the tapes verify the transactions, the audio alone verifies they understood they were breaking the law but still proceeded - they aren't walking away scott free on this one.

If there are manditory minimum sentances by law, then those have to be followed, I would think. I think there are too many "people" watching to see what happens, that they won't get off too easy. Maybe the minimum.

IF convicted and IF they are prosecuted on all charges. Those are some big IFs prior to trial.

This is why I'm so angry with Misty and her failure to grasp the gravity of the situation. If she knows what happened to Haleigh, now is the time to spill it. It's her only chance for another shot at a decent life while she is still so young. WTH? Is no one explaining this to her? Just saying "You'll be old and gray like me" isn't going to cut it. Someone needs to explain this to her until she understands it. In the meantime, everyone is having to play all these games with her.

Quite frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if her low IQ might be a defense.

Misty needs a lawyer that is adept at plea bargains. Does Fields usually handle criminal cases? Trials? I don't envy him, that's for sure. Misty is a loose cannon that is likely to run her mouth at any time.

Just the fact that he has dropped her once already (when she appeared on the morning talk show), makes me have respect for him and tells me he does have her best interest at heart. If Fields only wanted publicity, he would have been on that show with her.

I'm wondering about the alleged dentist who allegedly gave her free dental care and then wrote scripts. What is in it for him? Not a lot of $$. My former doc was arrested for prescribing pain pills in exchange for sex. Will we know when or if the alleged dentist is arrested?

Not fair by the way. I have a cracked tooth and need a couple of fillings but I don't get free medical care. Oh, well.

I think the best legal advice Misty could get is to spill everything to her lawyer-no matter what it is-& let him prepare her defense. Even if she killed Haleigh & by herself, disposed of her body, he needs to have legatimate answers & responses for court. I think her lack of criminal record, her age, & like SoSueMe said, her low IQ COULD work in her favor-but her lawyer has gotta have something to work with. He needs to drill in her head, that an unprepared defense is the worst defense.

personally i think the key here is "induces a person to commit an offense which the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit".

ask me to go get you some roxies and i dont' care who you are or how many times you ask, the answer is no. mainly because i don't even know what they are or where i would begin to look for them. so just the fact that they knew how and where tells me they would have done it anyway. as for the guy continuing to approach her, there is this little thing we have these days called the ignore button on the phone and "tell them i ain't home" when they come to the door if you really don't want to be bothered. so i don't see a good defense here. but that could just be the old woman coming out in me.

In the Sheriff's statement he said they had been told Ron and Misty were selling drugs in the area.

If they have statements from people saying that then the police have the right to do anything to try to get them to sell to them.

They won't get out of the charges, but IMO they won't serve a ton of time for it either. There are just too many criminals and not enough space and time- they'll most likely plea and maybe get a split sentence where they serve a certain amount in prison and the rest on probation or parole.

And I hate to say it, but they'll just be smarter about it the next time.

IF convicted and IF they are prosecuted on all charges. Those are some big IFs prior to trial.

Thank you SoSueMe. We all know why Misty and Ron were targeted. I'm not saying they are innocent, it is on tape. But putting a snitch on the stand with an extensive criminal background and having him/her convince a jury that he did this for other reasons than to save his/her own butt is a big risk. And it also depends on his/her level of involvement did he/she entice others to enter into criminal activity? A jury can be very unpredictable.

They are in jail for now, this was the goal. Now let's see which one squeals the loudest.

If Ron's lawyer can keep his arrest record out of court, & I'm sure he can, I don't see him doing much time. 5 years, maybe? It's hard for me to imagine a judge or jury not being lenient in this situation. to go from no criminal record to drug trafficking? that's gonna be a hard sell. I look for Donna Brock to serve a small sentence,( less than a year), go to rehab, & have a long probation- unless they can tie all of the pills to her. If she has a criminal record, that could also hurt. I see Tommy, ironically enough, having the books thrown @ him. He has a record & I think was on probation. I look for @ least 5+ years-unless he gets a really good lawyer, & I honestly don't see that happening. & before y'all get mad @ me, lol, these are just guesses based on what I've seen from the past. Also, I have to remind myself that most juries won't know a thing about Haleigh.

If Ron's lawyer can keep his arrest record out of court, & I'm sure he can, I don't see him doing much time. 5 years, maybe? It's hard for me to imagine a judge or jury not being lenient in this situation. to go from no criminal record to drug trafficking? that's gonna be a hard sell. I look for Donna Brock to serve a small sentence,( less than a year), go to rehab, & have a long probation- unless they can tie all of the pills to her. If she has a criminal record, that could also hurt. I see Tommy, ironically enough, having the books thrown @ him. He has a record & I think was on probation. I look for @ least 5+ years-unless he gets a really good lawyer, & I honestly don't see that happening. & before y'all get mad @ me, lol, these are just guesses based on what I've seen from the past. Also, I have to remind myself that most juries won't know a thing about Haleigh.

I don't expect any of them to actually go to trial. I think they will take a reduction in charges and do their time (whatever it might be). But like Lil Momma said a few posts back, there are "minimum maximum" sentences and if the DA stands firm on the trafficking charges and they are convicted, then they very well may do the minimum of 25 years. I'm not sure a judge or jury would have any discretion over sentencing when it's already dictated by law.

Dodie, I basically agree with you on Ron - perhaps 3-5 years, but I'm thinking that would be a plea bargain. The only reason I would single him out with any real time is because of his past history with drug charges. Although a jury might not see his past record, the DA who will make the deal surely will. Let's face it, with the videos, RC would be a fool to take this to a jury with that "minimum maximum" hanging over his head.

As for Tommy, he's a petty thief. I don't really see anything in his past that would warrant a huge sentence. Same with Donna unless she has a past that we don't know about.

I just think when they are making deals, their past drug history plays a big part, OMO.

As for Misty, who knows.

I think the best legal advice Misty could get is to spill everything to her lawyer-no matter what it is-& let him prepare her defense. Even if she killed Haleigh & by herself, disposed of her body, he needs to have legatimate answers & responses for court. I think her lack of criminal record, her age, & like SoSueMe said, her low IQ COULD work in her favor-but her lawyer has gotta have something to work with. He needs to drill in her head, that an unprepared defense is the worst defense.

Has it been documented that Misty has a low IQ ? She seems plenty smart to me, not necessarily in a good way. This is no dumb little girl.

Has it been documented that Misty has a low IQ ? She seems plenty smart to me, not necessarily in a good way. This is no dumb little girl.

Charlie, we've known that from the get-go. There's a lot of ways people make it through life. Misty has perfected and mastered the way she gets through hers. She is very wise in the ways of ....... whatever it is you call her lifestyle. She has the doe-eyed ingenue look perfected, as well. It fooled a lot of very sympathetic people, I'm sure.

I'm not sure about the low IQ, but if the 6th grade education is true, & some proof of a learning disability is presented, I honestly don't see how it couldn't be a factor. In this day & age, a 6th grade education is a huge deal that can't be overlooked. & I don't care how wild she was, somebody besides her parents, dropped the ball on that. It's not unreasonable to consider age, maturity & mentality. That's the main reason I've, personally given her more than one benefit of the doubt. I see her as a dumb kid, & I THINK a judge might do the same. & then when you add in the adult Ron factor, she could be seen as a dumb kid who got in way over her head. It might be in her best interest to hurry the legal process along-before she gets any older & harder, because the young, dumb, & innocent defense is her best bet.

It's hard to say RaisinCharlie. At best, she is illiterate. When she says she can't read, I think she means she doesn't comprehend what she's reading. I'm sure some of the larger words are also difficult for her. But in this day and age, it would be difficult to even get to the 6th grade if you couldn't read.

I don't think Misty can tell time. When she is questioned about time she gets confused and can't remember. She will say, 3:00 or 4:00 or maybe it was 5:00. Haleigh weighed between 30 and 60 lbs. This girl has no clue. I do think she saw a "3" on a digital clock the night Haleigh disappeared, but doesn't connect the other numbers like a normal person tells time. And forget about the big hand and the little hand because I simply don't think she knows any of that.

She obviously doesn't understand what a co-defendant is or what trafficking is as evidenced by her jailhouse videos and we've all seen her math skills.

So, although Misty is conniving and a survivor on the streets, yeah, I think her IQ is pretty low. I'm not saying it's a defense, but it might be a consideration. I don't know. I was just throwing it out there.

I'm going to add that it's all a shame because Misty seems like she could be very bright and a quick study if she would/could take the opportunities available to her to learn.

UC's are used all the time. It's not entrapment. Ron and Co. want you to believe that they are "special" and therefore common police procedure should not be used on them, lol, but I don't think that's gonna werk this time.

I agree. As long as this was done by the book, text book then .... it will depend on the undercover video recordings and overall procedure handling.

If this was a properly documented sting and given the repeated transactions there is a chance of reduced sentences but both Misty and Ron are done IMO.

From the little I have seen of the undercover videos, while they are antsy they are very willing participants -- with Misty running the sale and Ron controlling the cash.

Just because someone wants to buy doesn't make it legal or right to sell and, even for DB just being around a drug transaction doesn't make you innocent. No excuses.

I just read here and hardly ever post, but didn't Misty offer the UC agent pills at a future date on one of the police reports. Said that he would have to wait three months though. Doesn't sound like entrapment to me. She wasn't forced to continue dealing. JMO

Off now, to catch up on the other threads.

You all are great at this.

I'm not sure about the low IQ, but if the 6th grade education is true, & some proof of a learning disability is presented, I honestly don't see how it couldn't be a factor. In this day & age, a 6th grade education is a huge deal that can't be overlooked. & I don't care how wild she was, somebody besides her parents, dropped the ball on that. It's not unreasonable to consider age, maturity & mentality. That's the main reason I've, personally given her more than one benefit of the doubt. I see her as a dumb kid, & I THINK a judge might do the same. & then when you add in the adult Ron factor, she could be seen as a dumb kid who got in way over her head. It might be in her best interest to hurry the legal process along-before she gets any older & harder, because the young, dumb, & innocent defense is her best bet.

Hmmmm? :waitasec: I have to think about that. Misty is VERY 'street smart' but not 'book smart'. She is impulsive. Her attorney can address the lack of education by making sure she understands the charges and her options. She knew it was illegal activity and very dangerous and either way .... lack of knowledge of the law is not an excuse. Stupidity is not an excuse.

I could be wrong, but if Florida has a mandatory minimum of 25 years, then I don't think even the judge can change that. The only way I can see Misty getting less if is her lawyer files for youthful offender and first time offense-that may cut her a break.

It's hard to say RaisinCharlie. At best, she is illiterate. When she says she can't read, I think she means she doesn't comprehend what she's reading. I'm sure some of the larger words are also difficult for her. But in this day and age, it would be difficult to even get to the 6th grade if you couldn't read.

I don't think Misty can tell time. When she is questioned about time she gets confused and can't remember. She will say, 3:00 or 4:00 or maybe it was 5:00. Haleigh weighed between 30 and 60 lbs. This girl has no clue. I do think she saw a "3" on a digital clock the night Haleigh disappeared, but doesn't connect the other numbers like a normal person tells time. And forget about the big hand and the little hand because I simply don't think she knows any of that.

She obviously doesn't understand what a co-defendant is or what trafficking is as evidenced by her jailhouse videos and we've all seen her math skills.

So, although Misty is conniving and a survivor on the streets, yeah, I think her IQ is pretty low. I'm not saying it's a defense, but it might be a consideration. I don't know. I was just throwing it out there.

I'm going to add that it's all a shame because Misty seems like she could be very bright and a quick study if she would/could take the opportunities available to her to learn.

I heard Misty say she was fed breakfast in jail at 4 am. Anyone know if this is true?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back