Winter Storms Q, Rocky and other 2013 winter storms; How Much Snow/Ice Will You Get

Well, that was unique. Dead grass now encased in ice and looking like acres of frozen, tightly packed, slightly off-color corn niblets after "thunder sleet" somewhere around five this morning. Still thundering. A half hour of pissy snow, thirty minutes of sleet, an hour of occasionally heavy rain - YOUR Winter Storm Q in northeast Oklahoma so far, wf_godot!

:floorlaugh:

wfgodot has frozen off color corn niblet pre-pissed on snow!

Our snow is intense tiny fierce blowing mini flakes.

News channel has upped our accumulation a few more inches.

Wichita has 12" of snow so best friend with Q surname is happy to be staying indoors today emailing me pictures of it.

Wet snow is the prettiest - big, thick flakes that look beautiful when falling. But it's worst to shovel.

Dry, cold snow is worst when falling, it's usually blowing into your face making your skin sting. But it's easiest to shovel.

Not sure what I'd do with pissy corn niblet ice pellets. Dont look out windows, and later Throw some salt and wait for the sun to hit it, maybe? :giggle:

Raining hard again with occasional "ice pellets" hitting window and startling the dog. Incredibly ugly out there, like a bombed out town in World War I, missing only the ruined cathedrals and other shelled-out structures of ancient design, or the battlefield at Passchendaele during third Ypres. Dispiriting weather event then! To the trenches, Bobbles!

Wet snow is the prettiest - big, thick flakes that look beautiful when falling. But it's worst to shovel.

Dry, cold snow is worst when falling, it's usually blowing into your face making your skin sting. But it's easiest to shovel.

Not sure what I'd do with pissy corn niblet ice pellets. Dont look out windows, and later Throw some salt and wait for the sun to hit it, maybe? :giggle:

One year we had the most ginormous snowflakes, I swear were three inches across. We saw them from far above fluttering down. Absolutely beautiful and yeah a nightmare to shovel.

Raining hard again with occasional "ice pellets" hitting window and startling the dog. Incredibly ugly out there, like a bombed out town in World War I, missing only the ruined cathedrals and other shelled-out structures of ancient design, or the battlefield at Passchendaele during third Ypres. Dispiriting weather event then! To the trenches, Bobbles!
:floorlaugh:

Well heck weather channel upped our total snowfall AGAIN. Telling us up to 15 inches. I guess I shouldn't complain as we have had it easier than most people this winter. Still.....wahhhhh. Dogs want to go outside, feel the stinging snow, then look at us like...'Really?'

Neighbors homes across the street are starting to disappear in the sideways blowing snow and it is accumulating quickly. Fewer vehicles on the street and most of the schools and businesses are closed. Flakes are getting bigger and we've only just begun!

I have over 10 inches and weather says 6 more today. Loving it! Lots of banks, government offices etc. closed. I'm anxiously waiting word from my husband to see if he made it work safely.

Oh, did anyone get the awesome thunder snow we had this morning. SO neat. My doggies were confused lol.

Oh, did anyone get the awesome thunder snow we had this morning. SO neat. My doggies were confused lol.
Thunder ice pellets here. Eerie sound. Dog took affright and burrowed deeper under covers.

We have thunder snow all around us yet so far have not heard it.

Lots of wrecks on the highways and streets though traffic is very light.

One of our dogs hates, hates thunder, scares the crap out of her. This will confuse her also.

Hope your hubby is safe.

Crap my brother and his significant other had to go to work! I don't think they can get back home even if their jobs let them leave at this point.

I hope we don't lose power. I can deal with the cold easier than no internet access.

Crap my brother and his significant other had to go to work! I don't think they can get back home even if their jobs let them leave at this point.

I hope we don't lose power. I can deal with the cold easier than no internet access.
Exactly.

Most of our highways traffic is either stopped or at a crawl.

Snow is a little lighter and then will pick back up.

Hubby is thinking of getting the leaf blower out to clear a path for dogs to do their business. Snow is light and fluffy so it ought to work good.

Friend Q in Wichita reports 4-6" more snow expected tomorrow and in today's snowfall lightning started a house fire in the city.
AccuWeather.com ‏@breakingweather
Dangerous conditions have closed I-70 in north central Kansas from Salina to Hays.

Friend Q in Wichita reports 4-6" more snow expected tomorrow and in today's snowfall lightning started a house in the city.

Bummer if the fire trucks can't get to the house.

We've had some stretches of the highways closed. Roads are a mess with many cars off the road. Snow tapered off for the moment, then perhaps sleet, then we will get the back end of the storm. Seven inches so far, maybe only half way to our total.

Salina to Hays closure (driven it often) is a pretty long stretch of highway, 96 miles.

Okay I am in Eastern Iowa...and I think it just started snowing like 1/2 hour ago...and the ground is almost covered! I have class at 6:30 and I am checking my email every 5 seconds to see if it's canceled. I don't want to go :(

It's not a stupid question. If you are going to get a LOT of snow the staff may not be able to go to work, or management might figure it'd be cheaper to close than waste electricity, or the power may go out. We've had stores close down in really bad snowstorms, though it's a rare event.

Awesome you live so close to a store...can easily jaunt across the street when you are cooking and forgot something.

Q reminds me of a James Bond movie.

Okay, thanks. I normally do my shopping on Friday, but I went today instead. And when you said management, at first, I thought you meant the management of my apartment building, like they might choose to turn off the electricity, and I almost had a heart attack.

Yeah, it is awesome living so close to the grocery store, except it's a small one so they are missing some items/brands, and not much variety.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back