Winter Storms Q, Rocky and other 2013 winter storms; How Much Snow/Ice Will You Get

I have a friend flying back home from Des Moines tonight. I see conditions right now are "snow and freezing fog." Yikes!

UPDATE:

Already had two flights cancelled so he's booked a room and is headed downstairs to the bar. 6-9" expected.

AccuWeather.com ‏@breakingweather
MT @nwswichita: NWS Wichita recorded 14.2" of snow as of 4:40pm, just shy of the all-time record of 15"

We have over 14" according to my husband :) It's still snowing lightly. I wish it would keep going and going. Us farmers need the moisture so badly. I hope everyone is warm and safe!

We've been watching the Jodi Arias trial all day--riveting.

We have over 14" according to my husband :) It's still snowing lightly. I wish it would keep going and going. Us farmers need the moisture so badly. I hope everyone is warm and safe!

From my friend in Wichita yesterday re: need for precipitation:
We need 10 inches of moisture to break the drought. 1 ft of snow = 1 inch of moisture. Therefore, we need 10 feet of snow.

Okay, thanks. I normally do my shopping on Friday, but I went today instead. And when you said management, at first, I thought you meant the management of my apartment building, like they might choose to turn off the electricity, and I almost had a heart attack.

Yeah, it is awesome living so close to the grocery store, except it's a small one so they are missing some items/brands, and not much variety.

:floorlaugh: Sorry I wasn't more clear on store management versus apartment management.

One of our favorite stores closed early today due to weather so I was glad I was able to go yesterday and stock up. Looks like tomorrow will suck for us travel wise so yippee we don't have to drive anywhere.

We too need the moisture though not as badly as a farm needs the moisture. I just wish it would rain instead of snow. I hate being snowbound and worry my mom and elderly relatives might need help and we can't get to them.

Okay I am in Eastern Iowa...and I think it just started snowing like 1/2 hour ago...and the ground is almost covered! I have class at 6:30 and I am checking my email every 5 seconds to see if it's canceled. I don't want to go :(

I, too live in eastern Iowa. It looks like where I'm at is expected to get 3-6 inches (as of the 10pm news tonight)...and I'd say I've got close to 3 inches when I went outside about 20mins ago. I don't mind the snow--I've got a gas station, a grocery store and 2 bars that I can make it to in my town.

And since my college actually cancelled classes at 5pm tonight in anticipation of the snow, I wouldn't be surprised if there's no classes tomorrow.

Yesterday morning the news said the official snow amount was 14 inches @ 6am. Then at 10 pm they said the official amount was 13.5 inches. So it snowed hard all day and lost a half inche of snow that's hard to believe. So I don't know how much we got I'am guessing somewhere around 16 to 17 inches.

I think we got between 8-10 inches total, hard to judge with drifts. Watching local news for amounts. Lots of businesses and schools still closed. Traffic looks slow and steady. Hubby is out shoveling again. Not as bad as predicted though I didn't have to drive in it. Our road crews have done an excellent job on the main roads and highways. Hope they continue their great job on our street soon. Very cold outside.

Q has moved off and headed to the east. Hoping Q is not as bad for our east coast friends.

We received 9 inches of snow and are expecting another storm Sunday or Monday. Hundreds of cars stranded and will be towed at owner's expense. Getting your car back may take a lot of time as the person in charge of where the cars are towed to is overwhelmed. City really ought to have more than one person! Last night even four wheel drive vehicles were having a tough time navigating the snow.

There was NO snow coming down at 6am (when they have to make the call on schools) It started at 7am and we have been getting an inch an hour and it was total white out this morning driving. Worst white out I have ever seen! And yet, there were still idiots without their lights on ugh!

Yep--my college cancelled classes for the day! I would say we got at least 6 inches here. I went out and cleared my car off at 1am, so it's really not too bad right now--I'm not sure I could back out of the driveway and get drive back up it without it being cleared, though!

Everything is so beautiful covered with sparkly fresh snow. I'm going to make snow ice cream in a bit :) Staying away from the yellow snow, though ;)

I see we could have another "significant" snow starting Sunday?! Bring it!

All we had is a little rain. I did hear sleet falling this morning when I went out on the porch. I hope for all of you that received a foot of snow that it will melt soon!

We got a few inches... but apparently it's winter storm Rocky, not "Q"?
I did not know we'd moved on from "Q".

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-rocky-west-midwest-northeast-20130222

Weather channel is saying what's left of Q moving east over the weekend. We also have Rocky.

If storms collide what is the storm called? By both names? Gets a little confusing.

Next storm we will have this weekend, in Midwest, will be worse they are predicting.

I want Spring! April showers and flowers and all that jazz.

Ha, ha they are calling this next storm "the blizzard of oz" for us Kansans.

Yes, Monday storm may even find the NE corner of OK with snow. Fingers crossed for luck.

Friend who was scheduled to fly out of Des Moines Thursday has finally flown into Chicago and thence homeward.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back