Woman Gives Birth To Octuplets In California

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01312009/news/nationalnews/whoa__momma____152878.htm

"Suleman's father Ed, a Palestinian immigrant who hails from Jerusalem, brought bags of cookies and diapers into the family's three-bedroom house yesterday. He said the eight new bundles of joy were "God's wish," and added, "I have no idea what to do with God."

According to one neighbor, Suleman used the same sperm donor for all 14 kids. The donor was an acquaintance, who after getting married recently, asked her no longer to use his sperm, a neighbor said. "But she did it anyway," the neighbor said."

Yikes, I'd hate to be this guys new wife.

No doubt about that lucky181 on the guy and his new wife. It might prove to be a difficulty for them in their marriage, I hope not though.

I wanted to add, that the more the grandparents say the more that I like their sense of humor through this all. They seem like the salt of the earth type of people in their sayings, I wish them the best in dealing with this daughter and her children.

Wow. I would hate to be him, too! It would be worse to be his wife tho. She is looking at a lifetime of giving up their own family dreams for his eight new children who they probably won't even see unless it is on television (plus aren't the other six his, too?!).

I'd hate to be him.

There is precedent in California that if the father can be determined he will be required to support the children. That's why you hear about ANONYMOUS sperm donation. There was another case I read about recently (but I don't think it was in California) where a man donated sperm to a lesbian couple so that they could have children - 18 years later they came after him for 18 years of child support and he had to pay. Talk about an act of kindness coming back & biting you in the *advertiser censored*.

The theory is that the rights of the children to support are paramount, and cannot be waived by the mother on the child's behalf.
This case is going to be examined and re-examined on every possible level.It will be a case study for several issues. I am really so over this lady I can hardly stand it.

OT~ I wonder how long before her story hits the magazine stands...say for example "people" or NE?

The scary part? She'll probably use the money from any interviews or whatever to go and have more kids if she's as obsessed as her mom says she is (and evidence would tend to suggest that she is).

Seems this story has taken on a life of it's own. It's been on almost every news broadcast since the blessed event.

Maybe this woman will meet her goal of $2m. She may not need Oprah after all! ;)

JMHO
fran

OT~ I wonder how long before her story hits the magazine stands...say for example "people" or NE?

Possibly as long as it takes the mother to cut a good deal and get the most money?

All I can think of is the nursery rhyme....

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.

She had so many children she didn't know what to do....

(Hope she gets help!)

She needs help, and I ain't just talking childcare! :whistle:

Just wondering if the sperm donor guy could file for custody? Seeing as she cannot financially support 14 children.

I surely hope the child welfare keeps a close eye on all these children.

The scary part? She'll probably use the money from any interviews or whatever to go and have more kids if she's as obsessed as her mom says she is (and evidence would tend to suggest that she is).

I hope that's not true. I read in one article that her Mom said she had always wanted a dozen from the time she was a young girl, so maybe she WILL stop....I guess we'll see.

I hope that's not true. I read in one article that her Mom said she had always wanted a dozen from the time she was a young girl, so maybe she WILL stop....I guess we'll see.

I hope you are right.

When I was young I always thought I wanted 10 kids and that "dream" faded quickly (Thank God!)... I love my kids and am thankful to have them, but NO WAY could I handle 11 more! :crazy:

I hope you are right.

When I was young I always thought I wanted 10 kids and that "dream" faded quickly (Thank God!)... I love my kids and am thankful to have them, but NO WAY could I handle 11 more! :crazy:

Yes, I too have a near-impossible time relating to someone who wants that many children. At the same time, I have a hard time getting behind limiting people from doing this if they are not neglecting or abusing their children.

Yes, I too have a near-impossible time relating to someone who wants that many children. At the same time, I have a hard time getting behind limiting people from doing this if they are not neglecting or abusing their children.

In this situation, there are so many questions and it's hard to picture this woman being able to care for these children in all aspects (financial, emotional, etc...)

I really feel sorry for the people her decision has impacted~ :blowkiss:

In this situation, there are so many questions and it's hard to picture this woman being able to care for these children in all aspects (financial, emotional, etc...)

I really feel sorry for the people her decision has impacted~ :blowkiss:

You are right - there are many unanswereds here - from the woman'd mental state to the decisions of the doctor to implant so many.

I have a question for my pro-lifer friends. It sounds like the drs wanted her to thin out some of the fetuses, but she wouldn't. I am assuming that is a prolife stance and was interested in y'all thoughts on the subject.

So many ethical considerations raised here.

I think it is probable that all 14 of these children will not receive the proper care. It is obvious that this mother is not thinking clearly or making appropriate decisions about her life or her children's lives. She has provided NO CARE to those other six children for at least the last several months that she has been hospitalized. Her parents look and sound exhausted and frustrated....not the best condition for someone who is now physically and financially responsible for 17 people. An unemployed mother who has been using worker's compensation and using student loans to finance her in vitro could also be criminally prosecuted for fraud and put into prison. Who will be caring for those children then, as her mother has said she will be gone when the new babies come home? The hospital bill for the octuplets will be in the MILLIONS of dollars, and these costs are passed on to all of us by the medical system when they are "comped" to the family. The hospital simply charges more to everyone else for their services to cover the expenses of these types of cases.

I think that says it all, doesn't it?! $$$$$$$$

I truly don't think she had all toese kids just for money's sake. That said, I can't blame her for trying to take money where she can get it in order for her to raise them.

Still, she can't win for losing probably - if she tried to get money to talk about her story, she's a gold-digger. If she doesn't try to get money to talk about her story, it's pretty obvious she will have to rely in some form on taxpayers and she will be called a sponge.

I'm willing to reserve my judgment until I hear more details about all of this. A large part of me just wants to assume she's mentally ill, but I would like to hear much more before I form my opinion. Lots of mixed feelings in me on this case.

You are right - there are many unanswereds here - from the woman'd mental state to the decisions of the doctor to implant so many.

I have a question for my pro-lifer friends. It sounds like the drs wanted her to thin out some of the fetuses, but she wouldn't. I am assuming that is a prolife stance and was interested in y'all thoughts on the subject.

So many ethical considerations raised here.

If I was in her situation regarding the 8 fetuses alone, no, I would not abort them.

However, I would not, if I were a single woman (especially if I already had 6 kids), be getting the fetuses implanted by myself... in fact, I wouldn't be seeking to have children without being married anyways...

But in regards to the pro-life aspect, I can understand why she would not want to abort the babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member