Worker killed at Walmart in Black Friday stampede, woman miscarries

I once thought my family was going to be trampled at an outdoor July 4th display by a bunch of upstanding people after some idiot screamed tornado when a sudden rain and windstorm blew up. I thought quick and would rather face a tornado when I looked up and a wave of people were running towards us. I grabbed the kids and darted sideways up next to a tree. I think there's mob mentality in all classes. Black Friday is a fitting name and bad idea unless they have a bunch of police or security guards manning the doors demanding orderly entry.

This is just crazy and idiotic. I think they should stop these sales all together if people are going to go nuts and trample others. Nothing is worth a human life and needed that much. My God, it's just a sale item.

Always
Gozgals

People acted like animals over these sales well before the economy turned bad. I'm sure nothing they were waiting in line for was a necessity. The store will probably get more of whatever the item was and possibly have it priced less as Christmas gets nearer. I never understood the need for anything that would make me get up at 2:00 a.m. and stand in line, taking the chance of getting trampled (unless I was starving and it was food or healthcare that I needed for my kids).

Best Buy has a better way of handling it. They have someone walk down the line and ask each person what is ONE thing that they are there to buy or the one thing they want the most. They are then given a ticket for that item. That way there's no fighting over the last one. They also have security there. The only reason I know is because my son's girlfriend's brother goes there every Black Friday (course he's about six-four and probably around two hundred pounds).

Limited items should be raffled during the daytime hours rather than a mad rush to get in at opening time.
Our mall opened at midnight and it was the most orderly thing I have ever seen. Everyone got their bargains and had a good time.

I don't think this is the first year the big rush has happened. I think Wal-Mart was aware this could happen. They should be sued.

They could have put a barrier around the door, so employees would have time to unlock the door and get out of the way.

As for the people who did it, they have to live with this.

And as for the heart attack, everyone's heart stops when they die. imo

I did go to the sales, deliberately waiting 1/2 hour for the crazy to die down. We went to Target first, and I heard people complimenting the employees for their organization-lots of complaints about WalMart and their lack thereof. Target had checkout lines marked off, and several people directing things, making sure everything was fair. No line waited longer than any other. Maybe WalMart will look at ways to make things better next year. Storming the doors before they were unlocked? That I don't think any retailer can anticipate.

Must be something with Wal-mart. I heard through a source in security that the one near my house had 3 incidents. One involved a guy who threatened to go to his car and get his gun, one was a fistfight, and the third involved a walmart associate choking a customer.

But how do you walk on someone's body, feel their body under your feet, and not feel SOMETHING? I hope if there is no security camera to bring any charges to the people responsible that at least the guilt haunts them for the rest of their lives.

Somehow, I doubt guilt will factor in as the mob protested and practically rioted when the store closed down for a few hours after the man was trampled and taken to the hospital where he died.

snipped
Must be something with Wal-mart. I heard through a source in security that the one near my house had 3 incidents. One involved a guy who threatened to go to his car and get his gun, one was a fistfight, and the third involved a walmart associate choking a customer.
At least they had their guns in their car. Look what happened at Toys 'R' Us on Friday, they were carrying theirs and killed one another!

I've been in one really serious Black Friday mob situation before, and let me tell, I wanted OUT and I was willing go elsewhere and pay more than full price even while it was happening. It would be interesting to see if there are pictures of what happened. I forget if I took any because of how crazy it was.

Anyways, several hundred people were in line and some teenagers bum rushed the doors when they opened them at midnight. It was absolute chaos inside, and even while trying to escape I got slammed into metal shelving inside multiple times. I remember getting severe bruises but no cuts bad enough to require stitches. I actually went into full panic attack mode, as did others, but while I became paralyzed, others just started screaming, scratching and hitting others.

Several police officers appeared and had to arrest people to get them to stop being crazy. I remember at least three people who had were climbing the shelving all the way up to about three stories and ripping open the plastic wrapped products to get what they wanted. Some people were physically fighting over items. So weird.

For me in the past, I like Black Friday for the social experience and chatting with people in line and going 'treasure hunting'. I've definitely noticed that the experienced people who are going for fun/the event do not go to stores that don't hand out tickets and/or handle the badly behaved (usually by even kicking them out). One nice thing in my area is that stores have had 'trial' runs before this in the last week or two to simulate Black Friday to find any areas of concern and to train staff.

Oh, and that store with the chaos, they went bankrupt. :D
And if you need something to celebrate on the Friday after Thanksgiving, it's also National Sleep In Day. :D

I find this insane. Not much more to say.

But how do you walk on someone's body, feel their body under your feet, and not feel SOMETHING? I hope if there is no security camera to bring any charges to the people responsible that at least the guilt haunts them for the rest of their lives.

I believe Walmart encourages this type of behavior. Years ago you could go pick the items you wanted,early, you just couldn't pay for them until 5AM. Now they put everything in a block with tape around it and don't let people get them until 5AM. So people are knocking people down so they can get the items. There were fights and arrests in my area Walmart too. One black Friday shopping trip was enough for me.

I find this story really disgusting. ... This is what Christmas has turned into....it's all about the gifts now. Someone had to die for people to get a couple of hundred dollars off of a big screen tv??? As a christian, I think what does God think about all of this? It is a wake up call for me that I need to try to teach my children the best I can what Christmas is REALLY supposed to be about. We should be celebrating the birth of the man who died for our sins and not what a great deal we got on crap at Wal-mart on Black Friday!

There is a tiny irony that when you click on the news link the top of the page is Home Depot advertising gift buying for the holidays.

This story just haunts me, that poor poor walmart worker!! Has anybody seen something posted where something is being done for his family? I would like to send my condolences. I don't know if he was married, had kids but there has to be people who are just broken hearted with what happened.

VB

I heard several riots almost broke out at local Wal-Marts where I lived over the TV's they had for sale. They only had 4 in stock. I blame both the animals that trampled this poor man to death and WalMart for creating this chaos. I avoid Wal-Mart like the plague in between Thanksgiving and Christmas because of the insanity that always ensues. I do go to Kohls on Black Friday, #1 because it os only blocks from my house #2 the people don't act like animals #3 everything is very orderly and if there are rebates they tape the rebate forms to the boxes #5 they always have everything in stock and in large amounts that are on sale. If WalMart did the same this may have been avoided. No cheap Walmart TV is worth a human life!

I am at work today in the community where this happened and the kids are horrified! They can't believe it is in their town. Many of them said they have never been to a Wal-Mart and they said now they'd probably never go.

I place more blame on the animals who rushed the door. The mall's bad reputation comes from its clientele, as mentioned before.

MG

What happened is just disgusting. It really demonstrates how screwed up some people's priorities are and the power of group think. Regardless of if someone died or not just the behavior leading up it is despicable in itself. Pounding on the doors before the store opened, stampeding in, pushing and shoving eachother simply to save some money on a piece of merchandise.

The people who were apart of this mob who rushed in are responsible for this man's death and the other injuries people sustained. They were acting like a pack of raving, starving dogs. Even after people knew the man had been knocked down and ultimately died they just kept shopping and one woman even said that she had been there all night and nothing was going to stop her. How did people get to a point where getting a bargain is worth more than a man's life, worth more than their own integrity?

However, Wal-Mart should also be held accountable. They did not provide adequate security and did not provide their employees with adequate training on how to deal with a situation like this. The employees were the barricade for god sakes! They stood in front of the doors when they were opened in an attempt to stop the rush. The manager should have called for police back-up when it became obvious these people were out of control outside.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back