Worker killed at Walmart in Black Friday stampede, woman miscarries

Can someone find out how long this Location has been open? Until this news story broke, I didn't even know there was a Wal-Mart there. (The only other Wal-Marts I know of on LI are in East Meadow & Farmingdale, more than 1/2 hour drive from my house) Sad, but true. Long Island isn't a typical Wal-Mart area.

Could it be that people didn't know what to expect?

I think Target has the right idea. I went out early last year to get my son a Wii. They had 25 of them. They handed out tickets at like 3am. You could go home, go to bed and come back later. If you didn't have a ticket you didn't get one!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,459068,00.html

NEW YORK — Police were reviewing video from surveillance cameras in an attempt to identify people who trampled on a Wal-Mart worker killed when a crowd of post-Thanksgiving shoppers burst through the doors at a suburban store and knocked him down.

Good luck on that one. Have any of you seen the pictures of this? There was a huge crowd, and I don't know how they could pick out any one person, let alone know who that person is.

Two of my daughters went on Black Friday, and one told me her sister almost got beat up and arrested. Seems my little "treasure" was chatting up some guys at the front of the line right before the doors opened and went in with them. Well, the crowd was furious and went after her, pointing her out to a policeman. He was about to nab her when someone bumped into him and he was lucky to stay on his feet. Then the crowd surged on through and she disappeared in the shuffle.

I have lots more to say about Christmas, but this is all I care to express at the present time - the rest is too controversial.

This reminds me of the women who go to get wedding dresses at a deep discount and the many videos I have seen of them going haywire in their desperate attempts to garner the coveted dresses. It appears to be "survival of the fittest" and it is wrong to place people in such a scenario, imo. What do they expect to happen?!

I refuse to do "Black Friday" shopping because of the mentality required to engage in what is designed to only boost sales quotas for the stores without safety in mind. I have tried to teach my adult children not to go out in the middle of the night as nothing good ever happens after midnight. Not only is it unsafe to go out at 4:00 am, it is equally unsafe to roam parking lots, parking garages, etc. If you make it that far...then there is the worry of being trampled on top of it?! All in the name of saving a few dollars. Is your life really worth it?

Maybe manufacturers need to anticipate how many items they need to have onhand for retail in order to stop the crunch. If the supply is such that everyone who would like one can buy it, but priced so everyone can afford to buy it...this kind of shopping/feeding frenzy would stop. Offer the deep discounts to people willing to put in orders a year ahead and wait for the product to become available. The stores still make their money when people come in to pick them up (at different designated times), but the ultimate and dangerous rush of customers is alleviated.

They really need to get rid of the first come, first serve mentallity and go with having a drawing say two hours after the place opens.

Not to be funny but i work at Wal-Mart and we had several cops there. We had no problems at all. Personally i think just this location did not have enough security and they should be held liable for it. We are also a 24hr Wal-Mart,im not sure as to if this particular one is or isn't so the doors were already unlocked. The part i dont understand is to why this one and only guy was to unlock the doors.

I agree that Wal-Mart should be held responsible for not having enough security. This is rediculous. I go to black friday sales, but have never had a bad experience. At walmart everyone stands around the wrapped packaging chatting until 5am when an associate comes and cuts open the packaging. I have never even seen other people fighting over items, but our area has been through much worse so maybe that helps keep things in perspective.
As far as buying the stuff online, I did get a few of the items i was looking for, but alot of them said they were sold out online.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back