Zahau Death Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that what Bremner was trying to say was that someone used a SouthWest Airlines branded credit card to access the site on the computer........as far as I know, the airlines do not include remote access of computers as part of their services while on board flights.

Oh, Ok. That makes more sense. Thank you for the clarification.

If the day the computer was accessed for kiddie Asian *advertiser censored* is 7/12/11 at 3am or 3pm, that suggests that someone was out to frame Rebecca the day before her death. That would mean Rebecca's murder was premeditated and not due to a heat of the moment rage.

Adam did not arrive in Coronado until 4 or 5pm on 7/12/11, correct?

Can someone physically far from the Spreckels gain access to Spreckels computer?

Also, since Adam allegedly admitted to watching *advertiser censored* right before he claims he discovered Rebecca wouldn't the association of Adam with *advertiser censored* make sense. He could have accessed *advertiser censored* on her computer the day he flew in and then also again after her death.

According to Bremner he admitted to watching *advertiser censored* on his iPhone before 6:30 AM. Did SDSO even examine his iPhone or check the computer for his prints? Could Adam have used his iPhone to access Rebecca's computer by using a SW airline account? Did SDSO even check any of that out? No? Great job. Sherlock, scores again.

'Also on Bremner's Facebook page Friday evening was a posting that read, "…a person of interest in the case viewed *advertiser censored* on his iPhone before ‘discovering' her body.'"

The Facebook posting has since been removed but Sheriff's investigators have said it was Adam Shacknai who discovered Zahau's body around 6:30 a.m. on July 13.

Bremner said Adam Shacknai claimed during a lie detector examination that he was viewing *advertiser censored* on his iPhone just before he walked out of the mansion guest house and found Zahau hanging.

Adam Shaknai did not respond to voicemail messages left on both his home phone and cell phone seeking comment.'

http://www.cbs8.com/story/16083634/... censored*-found-on-coronado-mansion-computer

'Who was walking around her house that night before she was killed?'

'The person walking around the mansion the evening before the incident was identified, and her actions matched those described by a witness who saw her. Simply stated, she was a family member looking to see if anyone was home at the mansion.'

http://www.sdsheriff.net/coronado/faq.html

The person seen was identified by the witness mentioned here as Dina Shackni. He identified Dina by physical description and in a picture. However that blows her claim that she was at the hospital that night. Therefore, Dina did not have an alibi other than a cell phone ping. Also, Dina should have been considered a POI since a police officer documented that Rebecca stated, 'Dina's going to kill me.' after Max's accident.

Also, in light of Dina's current campaign to accuse Rebecca of murdering Max you have to wonder why she was never considered a POI.

BBM ... interesting that he said her 'actions' matched those the witness described. Bet he doesn't ever say, "The clothes and purse description was way off though".

We all know that there is something hinky about Nina's detail of her clothing and purse. And, I think the witness knew what they saw and knew who it was.

quote: "There was activity on Rebecca’s computer the day before the incident. The forensic examination of the hard drive showed the file access at about 3:00 am the morning of the event was likely a “cookie” left behind by an automated update for a tool bar.'" end quote

BBM Unless I have misunderstood what Gore is stating, this is one of the most preposterous things I've ever heard and have yet to understand why Gore hasn't been called on this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong... Cookies do NOT access files all by themselves while a computer is sleeping or turned off! Cookies store information about sites the user visits and information, such as passwords and usernames, etc., so the user doesn't have to type it in every time. Cookies do NOT automatically update tool bars. In fact, they don't do anythings UNLESS the computer is in use.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie"]HTTP cookie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

If there was activity on that computer at 3AM, then someone was USING that computer at 3AM.

I believe that what Bremner was trying to say was that someone used a SouthWest Airlines branded credit card to access the site on the computer........as far as I know, the airlines do not include remote access of computers as part of their services while on board flights.

Well, this makes more sense to me if true. You are saying they used an 'airlines' credit card to pay for *advertiser censored* on Rebecca's computer, right?

If that is true then Adam was on a flight at the time (wasn't the time given in the afternoon or was it just 'before Rebecca died'?)? If both are true, then I'd think someone else accessed her computer. With Rebecca gone for quite a while on Tuesday, someone could have accessed her computer directly? And, who was unaccounted for?

Well, this makes more sense to me if true. You are saying they used an 'airlines' credit card to pay for *advertiser censored* on Rebecca's computer, right?

If that is true then Adam was on a flight at the time (wasn't the time given in the afternoon or was it just 'before Rebecca died'?)? If both are true, then I'd think someone else accessed her computer. With Rebecca gone for quite a while on Tuesday, someone could have accessed her computer directly? And, who was unaccounted for?

No, the computer was accessed after she died, like 3 am on 7/13.........Adam arrived at 4:10 pm ish on 7/12....if the computer was accessed earlier, well, IMO, <modsnip>.........

quote: "There was activity on Rebecca’s computer the day before the incident. The forensic examination of the hard drive showed the file access at about 3:00 am the morning of the event was likely a “cookie” left behind by an automated update for a tool bar.'" end quote

BBM Unless I have misunderstood what Gore is stating, this is one of the most preposterous things I've ever heard and have yet to understand why Gore hasn't been called on this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong... Cookies do NOT access files all by themselves while a computer is sleeping or turned off! Cookies store information about sites the user visits and information, such as passwords and usernames, etc., so the user doesn't have to type it in every time. Cookies do NOT automatically update tool bars. In fact, they don't do anythings UNLESS the computer is in use.
HTTP cookie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If there was activity on that computer at 3AM, then someone was USING that computer at 3AM.

I think he was saying that an automatic browser updater left behind a cookie. I'm not sure if automatic updaters work when you computer hard drive is asleep, certainly not when it is turned off. I don't know if an updater would leave a new cookie behind either.

I hope Bremner has access to a copy of the hard drive.

News 8 asked Sheriff Bill Gore whether *advertiser censored* was found on Zahau's computer at a news conference Wednesday, but he refused to comment on the content recovered.

"That information is now in the possession of Anne Bremner if she'd like to discuss that with you," said Gore. "We're not really putting out all the specifics of the information found on the computer."

Those specifics are contained in the forensic computer report that Sheriff Gore also said he is not inclined to release.

"We released what we thought was pertinent so the public could understand how we arrived at our conclusions. To release the whole file would not be in keeping with our own policy," said Gore.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/16083634/... censored*-found-on-coronado-mansion-computer

It's difficult to say how thorough the forensic computer report is given this was deemed not to be a criminal matter and no trial took place. Even in trials, if the prosecutor/LE does not think it's advantageous to do more advance computer forensics, they don't do it.

No, the computer was accessed after she died, like 3 am on 7/13.........Adam arrived at 4:10 pm ish on 7/12....if the computer was accessed earlier, well, IMO, <modsnip>.........

Inparadise, there were two events. One on 7/12/11, no time given. A second event occured at 3:00 AM on 7/13/11.

Gore attempted to confuse the two events by using tricky wording. He mentioned the first event in the first sentence but gave no time or other information except that it occurred "before the incident".

In the second sentence he mentions that the computer was accessed at 3:00 AM the "morning of the event". That would have been on 7/13/11. Bremner also stated in MSM releases that Rebecca's computer was remotely accessed before her death and also accessed after her death. So it looks like there were two events where her computer was accessed by someone else.

<modsnip> or someone else could have accessed it before Rebecca's death or it could have been remotely accessed on 7/12/11 by someone using a SW airlines account like Bremner suggested.

I think he was saying that an automatic browser updater left behind a cookie. I'm not sure if automatic updaters work when you computer hard drive is asleep, certainly not when it is turned off. I don't know if an updater would leave a new cookie behind either.

I hope Bremner has access to a copy of the hard drive.

It's difficult to say how thorough the forensic computer report is given this was deemed not to be a criminal matter and no trial took place. Even in trials, if the prosecutor/LE does not think it's advantageous to do more advance computer forensics, they don't do it.

BBM

From the Microsoft.com library:

My computer is turned off during a scheduled update?

Any updates that have been downloaded are not installed. Instead, updates are installed the next time you start your computer. If you are an administrator for your computer, the Windows Update icon appears in the notification area whenever updates are ready to install. If you like, you can click the icon and install new updates before the scheduled time.

I never turn off my computer?

If you use the Automatic (recommended) setting, or scheduled updates, Windows will download new updates whenever you are connected to the Internet. Updates are installed at the scheduled time, as long as your computer is turned on. If any updates require you to accept an End User License Agreement (EULA), Windows will notify you and the updates will not be installed until you view and accept the agreement.

Some updates cannot be installed unless your computer is restarted. For these, Windows notifies you that your computer needs to be restarted for security maintenance. If you are an administrator for your computer, you can delay the restart. Otherwise, Windows will warn you and then restart your computer so the updates can begin to help protect your computer.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780490(v=WS.10).aspx#BKMK_ComputerOff

The SDSO should have looked at this more closely. Afterall, a woman was found dead, no? And her computer was accessed after her death. Sounds like murder to me. A very, very poor investigation was done here, imo.

This thread should be re-titled 'The Zahau Death Non-Investigation'. I was reviewing the Zahau search warrants in an effort phathom the apparently unphathomable science and logic used to investigate the items on the list.

However, it occurred to me that we have not heard much about the analysis done on many of the items. I wonder why items that the field officer found to be of interest were never pursued as such. Some examples:

Underwear; The search warrant does not stipulate whether they are mens/womens underwear or where they were found. That does not appear to be a scientific or accurate method of inventoring evidence. Was this the same as the panties found in the guest house trash or not? Possibly, since the SDSO FAQ page stated that the panties were not tested. Why not test the evidence? Imo, their answer didn't wash away the question.

Paper towel/w red stains, Tissue w/red stains; From which rooms were these items taken? How were they considered significant to a death investigation? Were these items ever tested for blood? If, so then whose blood was it?

Water bottle, Dr. Pepper bottle, two red cups; From which rooms were these taken? Whose DNA was on these items? If not tested, then why were they taken into evidence?

There were so many other items on the search warrants that were not discussed or ever addressed at the presser that it appears the investigation done here was exceptionally scanty. Is that par for the course with all SDSO investigations or was something else going on here?

Inparadise, there were two events. One on 7/12/11, no time given. A second event occured at 3:00 AM on 7/13/11.

Gore attempted to confuse the two events by using tricky wording. He mentioned the first event in the first sentence but gave no time or other information except that it occurred "before the incident".

In the second sentence he mentions that the computer was accessed at 3:00 AM the "morning of the event". That would have been on 7/13/11. Bremner also stated in MSM releases that Rebecca's computer was remotely accessed before her death and also accessed after her death. So it looks like there were two events where her computer was accessed by someone else.

Nina's son or someone else could have accessed it before Rebecca's death or it could have been remotely accessed on 7/12/11 by someone using a SW airlines account like Bremner suggested.

Thank you for clarifying this! Too bad the initial reports were so confusing.

Per the first access on 7/12/11 - no time given:

~ We need clarification of what this means used an "airline account" - I wonder if Bremner would just answer that question. So far, we have two possibilities...

* Southwest Airlines branded credit card was used.
.....I assume this means to pay for *advertiser censored*
.....It seems unlikely Adam would have a card like this as the purpose is to rack up FF miles and get free tickets, isn't it? A SW card would be beneficial to someone flying often and where SW has a lot of nonstop routes/flights from Phoenix to San Diego (and probably other California destinations). The route from Memphis is NOT very easy as far as I can tell. Of course, I guess JS could have given AS his CC # to purchase a ticket?
.....If this is the case, then Rebecca's computer could have been accessed at the mansion directly and possibly remotely (should we wonder if the WiFi access was known, unprotected, etc.). Seems the former is much cleaner and Rebecca was gone a lot that day.
.....If Adam accessed the computer this way, he must have done so after dinner, after 8 pm?

* Rebecca's computer was accessed in flight by someone.
.....This means it was not only in flight but remotely?
.....Not all SW flights have WiFi enabled access
.....If it was Adam, it would have had to be before 3-4 pm and it appears somehow prearranged (because why would he do this on his own and conjur up what he would like to do to Rebecca while on a flight to see his nephew in the hospital and know how to access her computer remotely?)
.....Was anyone else taking a flight that day?

To me, it seems the SW credit card is most likely and most likely it wasn't Adam accessing Rebecca's computer - but maybe my thinking is in error somewhere.

BBM

From the Microsoft.com library:

My computer is turned off during a scheduled update?

Any updates that have been downloaded are not installed. Instead, updates are installed the next time you start your computer. If you are an administrator for your computer, the Windows Update icon appears in the notification area whenever updates are ready to install. If you like, you can click the icon and install new updates before the scheduled time.

I never turn off my computer?

If you use the Automatic (recommended) setting, or scheduled updates, Windows will download new updates whenever you are connected to the Internet. Updates are installed at the scheduled time, as long as your computer is turned on. If any updates require you to accept an End User License Agreement (EULA), Windows will notify you and the updates will not be installed until you view and accept the agreement.

Some updates cannot be installed unless your computer is restarted. For these, Windows notifies you that your computer needs to be restarted for security maintenance. If you are an administrator for your computer, you can delay the restart. Otherwise, Windows will warn you and then restart your computer so the updates can begin to help protect your computer.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780490(v=WS.10).aspx#BKMK_ComputerOff

The SDSO should have looked at this more closely. Afterall, a woman was found dead, no? And her computer was accessed after her death. Sounds like murder to me. A very, very poor investigation was done here, imo.

Thanks... I have a Mac and it doesn't do updating all the time like my husbands PC does. I guess he has to agree also to updates. But updates to the browser? Is this a PC thing that happens a lot also?

PURPLE - this is the bottom line. It sounds like they did not do more than cursory computer forensics.

I am more concerned about the earlier access of bondage anime *advertiser censored*. Come on, something is up with that even given the little we know about it. Not just the fricking topic which is a bombshell but how the computer was accessed and at what time. They surely can compare when Rebecca was gone from the house that day with the time it was accessed also. IF something was paid for or another account used for access, then there is more info there.

Thank you for clarifying this! Too bad the initial reports were so confusing.

Per the first access on 7/12/11 - no time given:

~ We need clarification of what this means used an "airline account" - I wonder if Bremner would just answer that question. So far, we have two possibilities...

* Southwest Airlines branded credit card was used.
.....I assume this means to pay for *advertiser censored*
.....It seems unlikely Adam would have a card like this as the purpose is to rack up FF miles and get free tickets, isn't it? A SW card would be beneficial to someone flying often and where SW has a lot of nonstop routes/flights from Phoenix to San Diego (and probably other California destinations). The route from Memphis is NOT very easy as far as I can tell. Of course, I guess JS could have given AS his CC # to purchase a ticket?
.....If this is the case, then Rebecca's computer could have been accessed at the mansion directly and possibly remotely (should we wonder if the WiFi access was known, unprotected, etc.). Seems the former is much cleaner and Rebecca was gone a lot that day.
.....If Adam accessed the computer this way, he must have done so after dinner, after 8 pm?

* Rebecca's computer was accessed in flight by someone.
.....This means it was not only in flight but remotely?
.....Not all SW flights have WiFi enabled access
.....If it was Adam, it would have had to be before 3-4 pm and it appears somehow prearranged (because why would he do this on his own and conjur up what he would like to do to Rebecca while on a flight to see his nephew in the hospital and know how to access her computer remotely?)
.....Was anyone else taking a flight that day?

To me, it seems the SW credit card is most likely and most likely it wasn't Adam accessing Rebecca's computer - but maybe my thinking is in error somewhere.

Hi, time. The only information I have on this are Bremner's statements. However, I can't vouch for the accuracy of her statements and their meaning are not a 100% clear, imo.

I am assuming that in the interval since she recieved the information she has researched and discovered more information. Hopefully, we should hear soon one way or another. Here is the MSM Blurb again.

CBS8 aired this.

'On November 18, Anne Bremner stated on her Facebook page "Someone accessed Rebecca Zahau's computer from SW Airlines before she died. Someone also accessed her computer after she died."

On November 19, local news channel CBS8 stated in a phone interview with Bremner she confirmed there were a dozen searches using terms like "raped, sexy Asian girls, and bondage anime" accessed on a computer in the mansion the day before Zahau's death. Bremner told CBS8 "It's important to the investigation because there is an image from anime called bond anime and it shows an Asian woman bound."

Bremner also said it was not Zahau who looked at the content but that it may have been accessed by someone using an airline account.

http://news.yahoo.com/rebecca-zahau-...172600607.html

As to Bremner's statement, "Someone accessed Rebecca Zahau's computer from SW Airlines before she died. Someone also accessed her computer after she died.", could this mean that Rebecca's computer was accessed before she died from the airport or with an airport account whether in flight or at a terminal? Do any airlines provide computers in the terminal for customer use? I dunno.

However, in the last sentence she stated it was an airline account. So maybe she meant someone used a credit card to access *advertiser censored*. I dunno.

Adam did not fly in via SouthWest but he may have an account with them nonetheless. Since the flight was last minute he probably took whatever airline had a seat, no?

Thanks... I have a Mac and it doesn't do updating all the time like my husbands PC does. I guess he has to agree also to updates. But updates to the browser? Is this a PC thing that happens a lot also?

PURPLE - this is the bottom line. It sounds like they did not do more than cursory computer forensics.

I am more concerned about the earlier access of bondage anime *advertiser censored*. Come on, something is up with that even given the little we know about it. Not just the fricking topic which is a bombshell but how the computer was accessed and at what time. They surely can compare when Rebecca was gone from the house that day with the time it was accessed also. IF something was paid for or another account used for access, then there is more info there.

BBM

According to the SDSO FAQ page the hard drive showed a file access. It that the same as a browser update?

'There was activity on Rebecca&#8217;s computer the day before the incident. The forensic examination of the hard drive showed the file access at about 3:00 am the morning of the event was likely a &#8220;cookie&#8221; left behind by an automated update for a tool bar.'

I also think the concern is that SDSO did not prove that computer was not accessed by a human being at 3:00 AM. So that leaves the question of whether the murderer was in the house at 3:00 AM.

However, the *advertiser censored* searched done the day before was a prelude to the murder. The report that Adam watched *advertiser censored* on his iPhone right before he found her body continued the theme, imo.

BBM

According to the SDSO FAQ page the hard drive showed a file access. It that the same as a browser update?

'There was activity on Rebecca&#8217;s computer the day before the incident. The forensic examination of the hard drive showed the file access at about 3:00 am the morning of the event was likely a &#8220;cookie&#8221; left behind by an automated update for a tool bar.'

I also think the concern is that SDSO did not prove that computer was not accessed by a human being at 3:00 AM. So that leaves the question of whether the murderer was in the house at 3:00 AM.

Yeah, I don't know. It sounds like two events or that when a file was accessed it created a cookie, but that's not exactly how he is explaining it. Yes, it stills leaves a question about a person accessing the computer.

The quirky thing my husband's PC does that mine doesn't do, is show anything you've searched, opened, etc. on the computer, in the browser. I'm not sure if this creates a cookie as cookies are for tracking purposes. So would a browser update create a cookie? And, there are supercookies that end up on a different part of your computer altogether.

However, the *advertiser censored* searched done the day before was a prelude to the murder. The report that Adam watched *advertiser censored* on his iPhone right before he found her body continued the theme, imo.
It does continue the theme of *advertiser censored*, but was Adam accessing some particular *advertiser censored* them such as the day before? Maybe not. Maybe someone knows or just figured he uses *advertiser censored*.

It just doesn't make sense to me that he did this while on the plane and then it is somehow connected to the way Rebecca was murdered, not that it isn't possible. I suppose it's also possible he did it and told someone about it? I still think whoever killed Rebecca did some planning in advance and was doing that all day on Tuesday.

It will be good when we get more info on all this so we can rule out certain things!!!!!

Hi, time. The only information I have on this are Bremner's statements. However, I can't vouch for the accuracy of her statements and their meaning are not a 100% clear, imo.

I am assuming that in the interval since she recieved the information she has researched and discovered more information. Hopefully, we should hear soon one way or another. Here is the MSM Blurb again.

CBS8 aired this.

'On November 18, Anne Bremner stated on her Facebook page "Someone accessed Rebecca Zahau's computer from SW Airlines before she died. Someone also accessed her computer after she died."

On November 19, local news channel CBS8 stated in a phone interview with Bremner she confirmed there were a dozen searches using terms like "raped, sexy Asian girls, and bondage anime" accessed on a computer in the mansion the day before Zahau's death. Bremner told CBS8 "It's important to the investigation because there is an image from anime called bond anime and it shows an Asian woman bound."

Bremner also said it was not Zahau who looked at the content but that it may have been accessed by someone using an airline account.

http://news.yahoo.com/rebecca-zahau-...172600607.html

As to Bremner's statement, "Someone accessed Rebecca Zahau's computer from SW Airlines before she died. Someone also accessed her computer after she died.", could this mean that Rebecca's computer was accessed before she died from the airport or with an airport account whether in flight or at a terminal? Do any airlines provide computers in the terminal for customer use? I dunno.

However, in the last sentence she stated it was an airline account. So maybe she meant someone used a credit card to access *advertiser censored*. I dunno.

Adam did not fly in via SouthWest but he may have an account with them nonetheless. Since the flight was last minute he probably took whatever airline had a seat, no?

I would like to know when Adam's flight was booked, by whom and most importantly, who paid for it?

This thread should be re-titled 'The Zahau Death Non-Investigation'...(respectfully snipped)
I was just surfing for anything new about these people and came across an article that proves your point (not that you need any help!):

July 25, 2011, quote from The Examiner:

>>>snip

…Despite the circumstances surrounding Zahau's death, authorities have said they believe she committed suicide, but are awaiting results to determine a definitive cause of death.

Max' s death has been ruled an accident….

(article continues)

<<<snip

http://www.examiner.com/article/jon...millionaire-who-s-silent-about-mansion-deaths

Rebecca's "suicide" was already a "belief" of "authorities" by 7/25/2012, so "discoveries" were made which supported that belief, and then presented to the public as "facts".

But don't stop what you're doing here, freespeech. It's powerful.

I was just surfing for anything new about these people and came across an article that proves your point (not that you need any help!):

July 25, 2011, quote from The Examiner:

>>>snip

…Despite the circumstances surrounding Zahau's death, authorities have said they believe she committed suicide, but are awaiting results to determine a definitive cause of death.

Max' s death has been ruled an accident….

(article continues)

<<<snip

http://www.examiner.com/article/jon...millionaire-who-s-silent-about-mansion-deaths

Rebecca's "suicide" was already a "belief" of "authorities" by 7/25/2012, so "discoveries" were made which supported that belief, and then presented to the public as "facts".

But don't stop what you're doing here, freespeech. It's powerful.

The talk from CPD is that within a very short time of Rebecca's body being discovered, LE was already believing the suicide BS.........the seed had been planted.

BBM

'There was activity on Rebecca’s computer the day before the incident. The forensic examination of the hard drive showed the file access at about 3:00 am the morning of the event was likely a “cookie” left behind by an automated update for a tool bar.'

I would love to ask someone from an IT department if a cookie update is considered a " file access"

And that business with AS admitedly watching( ughhh)<modsnip> *advertiser censored* from his iphone arghhh:furious:

I would love to ask someone from an IT department if a cookie update is considered a " file access"

And that business with AS admitedly watching( ughhh)<modsnip> *advertiser censored* from his iphone arghhh:furious:

Some info explaining "cookies": A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is usually a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in a user's web browser while a user is browsing a website. When the user browses the same website in the future, the data stored in the cookie can be retrieved by the website to notify the website of the user's previous activity.[1] Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember the state of the website or activity the user had taken in the past. This can include clicking particular buttons, logging in, or a record of which pages were visited by the user even months or years ago.

It is likely that whomever was using the computer at 3am visited a site that was previously not visited, and a cookie was left behind on the computer. About the file on the hard drive being accessed, I would be curious to know what operating system was running, as well as what browser (IE, Firefox etc.), and the version of said browser. My gut instinct tells me that SDSO just made up a bunch of BS about what was accessed because they really didn't do anything much with the computer, since they were convinced that it was SUICIDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike