Zodiac 340 Cryptogram Solution

The original first raw Graysmith translation can be seen here, starting on p. 102:

http://foia.fbi.gov/zodiac/zodiac5.pdf

Personally, however, I think the solution I posted here is correct, or more correct. Kite and several other researchers made some minor corrections and improvements.

The solution I posted here has amazing cryptic words finds, like the diagonal LIST and BOMBS, the backwards GAME and the vertical DUEL, LEASH and BARS.

Some of what seems like gibberish makes sense when you apply a Caesar Code with 0-3-6-9 shift values. For example, ASK DLA becomes, with a 000 333 application, ASK GOD.

For your responses you made.

I just wanted to see if I a could be more exact in the spelling or wording by looking at the two side by side. I wont try using the shift values with the 000 333 application. Ill leave that to you and the other experts on the case. Using your application, can you tell me what
TNMR would be?

I am interested in finding out if
LAKE PHNEAHA
PHNEAHA LAKE
Has any meaning to the zodiac case.
That was a tough one to crack, and i would be surprised if it was gibberish or had no meaning at all.
I would give that to the FBI people you have been chatting with.

17 or so?
There are killings that were done, that the zodiac confessed to.
But they have never been found!

THESEFOOLSHALLSEE

Its either
THESE FOOLS HALL SEE
or
THESE FOOL SHALL SEE

We are missing an S for it to be

THESE FOOLS SHALL SEE.

It is fairly easy to do a Caesar Code shift for 0-3-6-9.

So you said TMNR.

Take the T, and look at the letters 3, 6 and 9 spaces ahead and behind it.

So it would be K..N..Q..T..W..Z..C

See? Just do that for each letter.

Zodiac is confirmed to have killed 5, and suspected by police for a total of up to 11. Zodiac himself claimed credit for 37 murders by 1974, and Robert Graysmith identified 49 in which he considered him a suspect.

Not sure about the Lake clue. Would have to look at a California map, or list of California - Nevada - West Coast lakes maybe. But I agree with you there is likely something there, I will have to study that further. Could it be HAPPEN LAKE? The words SALT also appear in the solution.

I think Zodiac "double used" the "S", so that the 8th line reads as:

THESE FOOLSHALL SEE

But it means:

THESE FOOLS SHALL SEE

It is fairly easy to do a Caesar Code shift for 0-3-6-9.

So you said TMNR.

Take the T, and look at the letters 3, 6 and 9 spaces ahead and behind it.

So it would be K..N..Q..T..W..Z..C

See? Just do that for each letter.

Zodiac is confirmed to have killed 5, and suspected by police for a total of up to 11. Zodiac himself claimed credit for 37 murders by 1974, and Robert Graysmith identified 49 in which he considered him a suspect.

Not sure about the Lake clue. Would have to look at a California map, or list of California - Nevada - West Coast lakes maybe. But I agree with you there is likely something there, I will have to study that further. Could it be HAPPEN LAKE? The words SALT also appear in the solution.

I think Zodiac "double used" the "S", so that the 8th line reads as:

THESE FOOLSHALL SEE

But it means:

THESE FOOLS SHALL SEE
AHPHNEAEAKL
PHNEAHALAKE

I am as 100 percent certain, as anyone could be, that it is PHNEAHA LAKE

14 lines down
7 lines up from the bottom.
21? a solstice perhaps date?

AHPHNEAEAKL
PHNEAHALAKE

I am as 100 percent certain, as anyone could be, that it is PHNEAHA LAKE

14 lines down
7 lines up from the bottom.
21? a solstice perhaps date?

7 rows down
11 columns over

SHBLLEI
BELLISH
or
SHBLLEI
HIBELLS

HI BELLS
Melvin-Belli200.jpg

Melvin Belli

Are we to assume, that this last name is just a coincidence?
Or could it had been a personal statement to Melvin Belli as in

Bellish
or
Hi Bells
These fools shall see?

If zodiac did-not know about this person, until after he sent the 340. i would say it was just a coincidence.

If he knew of this man, BEFORE sending the 340. Then i would guess, speculate that perhaps that the next sentence was for Mr. Belli.

I am going to stop trying to spell words correctly.
i see from searching the zodiac may or may not spell a word correctly even though it would sound the same if it was correctly spelled. So i am just going to post words and or sentences and let you decide if it is the same kind of writing known to be associated with the Zodiac.

I will do this quickly.
And update later perhaps.
FIRST LINE
HERCEANB
HERB CAEN

FIRST LINE SECOND LINE
I GIVE THEM HELL TOO
2 LINES DOWN
BTSALTE
BATTLES
BATTLESS

4LINES DOWN
SEE A NAME

6 LINES DOWN
EMRNPAOD
PARDON ME
ME PARDON

7 LINES DOWN
ALSTB
BLAST

7 LINES DOWN
BLLEI
BELLI

8 LINES DOWN
THESEFOOLSHALLSEE
9 LINES DOWN
ILKLER
KILLER

12 13 LINES DOWN
ARFIEATAILLLLP
LAESS
I FEAR A TAILLLL PLEASS...

14 LINES DOWN
AHPHNEAEAKL
PHNEAHA LAKE

15LINES DOWN
BALLL
BALLL
BALLLS
SEAECBU
BECAUSE
EADL
LEAD
DEAL
INCLUDING THE I ON THE NEXT LINE.
DIAL
I DEAL
I LEAD
SLSVEESE
SLEEVESS
SLEEVE

16LINES DOWN
STOENL
STOLEN
EITHE
EITHER
I STOLEN THERE WILL
THEIR STOLEN WLL
THERE WILL I STOLEN
u can include the R from the next line first column to get THERE or THEIR.

18 LINES DOWN
IOSHTATHE
IPG
I SHOT THE PIG
THAT PIG TOSCHI

20 LINES DOWN (LAST)
CITHHEGSL
HITCHLEGS
HITCH LEGS
LEGS HITCH

Good work! Lots of clues and words to ponder.

A yahoo search for LAKE PHNEAHA revealed nothing, but asked me if I meant PH LAKE. I searched that and it gave me PYRAMID LAKE, NEVADA. Zodiac is suspected in the murder of South Lake Tahoe, Nevada resident Donna Lass, and attacked Shepherd and Hartnell at Lake Berryessa, CA.

LAKE PHNEAHA

LAKE PYRAMID

Many other possible clues and word finds I will have to study...

But BELLI stands out. Only thing is we might expect to see "Melvin", or "Attorney" or "lawyer" near it. But the BELLI part seems pretty clear, and he was connected to the case.

Melvin Bello was a famous SF attorney. The Zodiac, or more likely someone pretending to be him, called a local show asking to speak to him.

But the real Zodiac sent in a bit of Paul Stine's bloody shirt with this letter to the attorney.

Good work! Lots of clues and words to ponder.

A yahoo search for LAKE PHNEAHA revealed nothing, but asked me if I meant PH LAKE. I searched that and it gave me PYRAMID LAKE, NEVADA. Zodiac is suspected in the murder of South Lake Tahoe, Nevada resident Donna Lass, and attacked Shepherd and Hartnell at Lake Berryessa, CA.

LAKE PHNEAHA

LAKE PYRAMID

Many other possible clues and word finds I will have to study...

But BELLI stands out. Only thing is we might expect to see "Melvin", or "Attorney" or "lawyer" near it. But the BELLI part seems pretty clear, and he was connected to the case.

Melvin Bello was a famous SF attorney. The Zodiac, or more likely someone pretending to be him, called a local show asking to speak to him.

But the real Zodiac sent in a bit of Paul Stine's bloody shirt with this letter to the attorney.

I will keep searching about that lake. I know i was reading about it last night or so with that spelling i gave. But now, when i want to see it again, i cannot locate it....I leave it be for now.

quick statements.

11 lines down

ULRAA

LAURA

Still working on the rest of that line.

And i have hi-lighted some names i have found.

Mostly diagonal and spells word forward or backwards.

I want to post them, to see if any rings a bell.

MEL
POE
MIA
FAIL
TOES
LOEL
SPIL,LIPS
PEEL LEEP
TASE
PALL,PAL LAP
NEIL,LIEN
LEAH
LEE
KATE
NATE
SLOP
BETH
ALAN

LASS
Zodiac is suspected in the murder of South Lake Tahoe, Nevada resident Donna Lass,
13 LINES DOWN
7COLUMNS OVER FROM THE LEFT
N
E
I
L
A
S
S
E
S
A
G
I see other words here, though not sure of a connection
Gases lass alien neil gasess lien lasses

Mel is located first line last column.
MEL spelled diagonally.

I am trying not to force things, and just let them appear naturally. Just an FYI.

2 lines down
7 columns over

OBTSALTESEHLSE
LETSSBOTHSEELA

LETSS BOTH SEE LA

I am going to wait a few days before commenting again on this
thread, to see if anything develops overtime.

Forgot to add

TNMR

Is a Acronym for
Texas New Mexico Rail Road?
And is rarely used these days.

4 lines down
9 columns over

BWEOLLRSE
BELLOWERS

Last line (Bottom)
11 Columns over

OMAISNL
OSMANLI

Line 2
8 Columns over
OBTSAL

Then if you go down to line 7 starting in the first column
you see
OALSTB

They both start with letter O and then spell BLAST?

In the bottom one, on line 7, 6 columns over, the letter B spells BOMBS going in a diagonal direction up towards, and passess BWEOLLRSE and the S Connects with the word OBTSAL on the second line.

Which maybe BELLOWERS

THEY connect each other
blast, then bombs then BELLOWERS
DO you see it??

I don't think that word on the second line is salt, but BLAST or BATTLES?

and in TOO after HELL, i wonder if the TOO has only one O, and not two?
like the one down below on the 7th line?

OALSTB

Mr. TT made some interesting observations about the 340 Code solution.

She noted BELLI (famed SF attorney who was contacted by a fake [?] Zodiac by phone and then the real Zodiac by letter), LASS (meaning probable future Zodiac victim and Nevada nurse Donna Lass?) and an anagram for I SHOT AT THE PIG (reference to past attempt on the life of a policeman, or to the future murder of SFPD Officer Radetich?).

zodiac22.jpg

attachment.php

I believe, but not certain the above two scrambled words spell
SEA VESSEL
STOLEN
or

SLSVEESEAECBU
VESSEL BECAUSE

The following are some names and words i have found.
Many are repeats or may have no value.

attachment.php

attachment.php

SLSVEE
VESSEL
or
SELVES

LASI
SAIL

TEMLPES
TEMPLES

Temples is scrambled and going in diagonally direction at the top.

SEAECBU
BECAUSE
or
The SEA in BECAUSE could be use to spell
SEA-VESSEL?

Can you supply any links to websites, that are currently discussing this 340?
I would like to join them and see if we can solve this message.
Thank-you.

A poster here, Morf, runs a site devoted to the Zodiac case, with some discussion of other crimes, called www.zodiackillersite.forummotion.com . I am a moderator there, and we would welcome having you join TT, as well as other interested researchers.

Douglas Oswell runs www.unazod.com which has a message board you can join. I am a member there, as is code expert Mr. Kite, and we do get some in depth discussions going on the codes, as well as the possible Zodiac - Kaczynski link.

In the general Zodiac world Tom Voigt runs a site called www.zodiackiller.com , however, be warned, while it is the biggest site and has lots of good info and posters, you have to pay $10 to join, and they often do not treat people with minority viewpoints on the case very nicely IMO.

Michael Butterfiled runs www.zodiackillerfacts.com , and the message board there has some good researchers on the code.

At www.zodiackillersite.forummotion.com and www.unazod.com you will find myself and other posters who think that this modified Graysmith 340 solution is likely the correct first step to solving the puzzle, at www.zodiackiller.com and www.zodiackillerfacts.com you will find most do not agree with that idea.

attachment.php

Why would the top NOT be

ARFIEATAILLLL

IFEARATAILLLL

I FEAR A TAILLLL

post 51 52 54

My Letter Boxes for the above posts have disappeared?
Without the letter boxes, they don't make sense?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back