AL - Karen Shahan, 53, murdered, Homewood, 23 July 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he charged with first degree murder or has the degree of charges not been set yet? I'm wondering if it was premeditated.

Is he charged with first degree murder or has the degree of charges not been set yet? I'm wondering if it was premeditated.

I don't believe we know yet what the charges are. I'm thinking LE knows waaaaaaay more than we think.

2ewfrs3.jpg
Screen shot from below link/article.

Alabama pastor collared in wife’s murder while boarding flight to Germany
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...der-boarding-flight-germany-article-1.1564920

Friend of slain Homewood pastor's wife speaks out after pastor's arrest

Jan 03, 2014

Nix says Karen's co-workers at Hobby Lobby had many questions after her death and struggled to make sense of what happened to their friend. Her death was so painful, Nix says some co-workers had to take "cry breaks" from work to cope with their grief.

"She was probably the meekest, the most humble, most beautiful person that you would ever meet," Nix continued. "At Hobby Lobby we certainly enjoyed having her there. She was uplifting, she was always singing, she was always happy, she was never negative, she was the greatest person to be around. She was such a joy to be around. She's missed, she is missed terribly."

Read more/Video: http://www.wsfa.com/story/24351887/...-pastors-wife-speaks-out-after-pastors-arrest

Whatever happened to innocent before PROVEN guilty?
We are awfully quick to jump at what we "think" is the truth. Remember this man has family and friends just like we all do.
Maybe a prayer before an instant judgment would be better?
Just a thought!

I am no lawyer, but what I know is the presumption of innocence applies to a court of law, not the court of public opinion. I don't pray.

I am hoping this is a step in moving toward this beautiful woman, Karen Shahan, having justice served on behalf of her life that was brutally taken from her, as well as her being brutally taken from the so very many who love her.

My prayers also go out to the so very many wonderful, loving people who are/and have been hurt by the tragic loss of Karen.. Especially those of our friends here, at Websleuths, that have been negatively impacted by the loss of Karen and continue dealing with the outward, ripple effect that so very sadly includes their own innocent children..

We, as adults struggle to understand, much less having to try and explain a situation to our children..an explanation that even us, as the adults, don't even begin to have a rational explanation for such a tragic, unnecessary loss of a beautiful woman's life...
kahne9, you and your family will continue to be in my prayers..my heart aches for the loss you guys are suffering, only compounded by the recent arrest:hug:

Interesting... No doubt...

And in the above link...:

"ABC 33/40 spoke with Richard Shahan. He was not willing to talk with us about the mission trip - saying he wants to remain private."

since when do missionaries wish to remain private about their mission work... When, by definition, missions are a means to spread the word!?!? :what:

And... He is not so private as to not wish to publicly ask for funds for his mission trip!

:banghead:

So, it appears that RS got all the $$ he needed to fund his mission trip to Germany for three years. That must be pricey. I kind of feel bad for the people that gave him money in good faith. :moo:

Roberson said that Shahan is their only suspect in this case at this time, and he is confident that they obtained the warrant for the person responsible for killing Karen Shahan.

Roberson said the evidence didn't support a burglary gone wrong and Shahan's inconsistent statements made him the top suspect in his wife's slaying.

"Certain inconsistencies...in his interviews kept leading us back to him," Roberson said.

In today's news conference, Roberson referenced media reports that Karen Shahan had been stabbed to death, but would not confirm or deny that information. He said it will become "readily apparent" how and why Karen Shahan was killed as the case moves toward a trial.
m.myfoxal.com/

IMO, these above words spoken directly from the mouth of Chief Roberson really, really for me, personally, are very very solid and are directly to the point on they're having arrested the one and only person solely responsible for the extremely brutal slaughter of the victim, Karen Shahan.

I, personally have no doubt that we will see it come to fruition, just as the chief says, once the trial commences..we all will be able to clearly and easily discern what the evidence proves regarding they're indeed having arrested/charged the one person that's fully responsible for Karen's murder, along wth us being able to easily see and discern what the evidence proves was this perpetrator's motive for cruelly taking Karen's life from her, and her from the lives of all the many who love her.

Jmo, but the words directly from the chief's mouth hold much weight..but again that's jmo, tho!

I am not so sure, i think if they had everything they needed they would have arrested him long before. His being sent on ministry may have tripped the arrest but i am convinced LE is hoping to plea bargain and pretend they have more than they had (as in the Elaina case) to get a guilty plea.

When you know your church is now going to be under a microscope b/c a pastor on your staff has been arrested for murder, it might be good to reread the statement on your website...

There he was? Either they're missing the end of their thought on that sentence, or they should have said "He was there..."

"There,(meaning Germany), he was going to teach...

2ewfrs3.jpg
Screen shot from below link/article.

Alabama pastor collared in wife’s murder while boarding flight to Germany
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...der-boarding-flight-germany-article-1.1564920

This article has LIES:
1-he did not run or flee to anywhere he announced to many for months he was leaving.
2-he was not fired. The church supported his new ministry position.
3-he was not yanked out of line,he was sitting there working on his Sunday sermon when they approached him.
Stop blowing it out of proportion to make it more "interesting" just to keep people reading.

This article has LIES:
1-he did not run or flee to anywhere he announced to many for months he was leaving.
2-he was not fired. The church supported his new ministry position.
3-he was not yanked out of line,he was sitting there working on his Sunday sermon when they approached him.
Stop blowing it out of proportion to make it more "interesting" just to keep people reading.
This man like many of us has a mom, children and grandchildren that need our support and prayers.

I am curious if there are links to the information provided above...

He resigned from pastor of his church December 31st...

So... Where was he to preach the sermon he was preparing that is being referred to in the above post..

TIA...:seeya:

There is a lot of information missing for us to determine what actually happened so the result is over-speculation and the truth is never what we expect. We should be hearing something soon because he is entitled to a hearing regarding his charges, I believe. Maybe we will hear something then. jmo

Attorneys Wendell Sheffield and John Lentine, who are representing Shahan, say statements implying that Shahan was fleeing the country are disingenuous and misleading.

"Some of the inferences that were put out there in the news conference made it sound like Richard was trying to leave the country and never come back," Lentine said. "Anybody who's been keeping up with this knows that Richard had announced months ago that he was planning on going on another mission trip like he did in 2012."

Sheffield said that arresting Shahan in that manner was done intentionally so he could be held without bond after police described him as a flight risk.

"The investigation has been pending for half a year," Sheffield said. "Is he supposed to put his life on hold until they come to a determination not to arrest him?"

The attorneys also contest investigators' comments about inconsistencies in Shahan's statements.

"The chief is saying 'We've got our man,' then saying it's an ongoing investigation," Lentine said. "There's your inconsistency. The reality is they've always looked at Richard, and they didn't bother to look any further out than that."

They believe Shahan will waive extradition in order to return as soon as possible for a hearing in Jefferson County.

"Ultimately, the facts and issues will be resolved in a courtroom," Lentine said.

I am curious if there are links to the information provided above...

He resigned from pastor of his church December 31st...

So... Where was he to preach the sermon he was preparing that is being referred to in the above post..

TIA...:seeya:

He was suppose to be beginning his new missionary job, that includes preaching sometimes especially if they know you're a pastor, they almost always ask you to preach when you are there. I know they do not celebrate Christmas till later in the year and on thing R told the church he was looking forward to was telling the true meaning if Christmas again to children.

Attorneys Wendell Sheffield and John Lentine, who are representing Shahan, say statements implying that Shahan was fleeing the country are disingenuous and misleading.

"Some of the inferences that were put out there in the news conference made it sound like Richard was trying to leave the country and never come back," Lentine said. "Anybody who's been keeping up with this knows that Richard had announced months ago that he was planning on going on another mission trip like he did in 2012."

Sheffield said that arresting Shahan in that manner was done intentionally so he could be held without bond after police described him as a flight risk.

"The investigation has been pending for half a year," Sheffield said. "Is he supposed to put his life on hold until they come to a determination not to arrest him?"

The attorneys also contest investigators' comments about inconsistencies in Shahan's statements.

"The chief is saying 'We've got our man,' then saying it's an ongoing investigation," Lentine said. "There's your inconsistency. The reality is they've always looked at Richard, and they didn't bother to look any further out than that."

They believe Shahan will waive extradition in order to return as soon as possible for a hearing in Jefferson County.

"Ultimately, the facts and issues will be resolved in a courtroom," Lentine said.

Personally, yes.....my life would be literally on hold if my spouse was brutally murdered within my home and the murderer was still on the loose. And the horrific crime was not that long ago either. For me, yes, I would be doing everything to bring justice to my beloved. You know, such things as hiring a private investigator, personal reward money for information offered, I'd hang flyers everywhere, and I'd be pushing for answers, posters up, social media awareness blogs, etc. etc.

But heck, that's me.....your average "joe sinner".....

I know I'd never be leaving the country. Nope. Never.

Not until I found some sense of closure, peace, and justice.

moo

Attorney John Lentine, who is representing Shahan, told Al.com the statements that his client was attempting to flee the country were misleading.

'Some of the inferences that were put out there in the news conference made it sound like Richard was trying to leave the country and never come back,' Mr Lentine said.

'Anybody who's been keeping up with this knows that Richard had announced months ago that he was planning on going on another mission trip like he did in 2012.'

Statements from defense lawyers, IMO, should be taken with a grain of salt...

It is their job, unfortunately, to twist, turn, obliterate, etc. the facts to present their clients in the best light...

All is speculation at this time until more is revealed at trial...

JMO

Personally, yes.....my life would be literally on hold if my spouse was brutally murdered within my home and the murderer was still on the loose. And the horrific crime was not that long ago either. For me, yes, I would be doing everything to bring justice to my beloved. You know, such things as hiring a private investigator, personal reward money for information offered, I'd hang flyers everywhere, and I'd be pushing for answers, posters up, social media awareness blogs, etc. etc.

But heck, that's me.....your average "joe sinner".....

I know I'd never be leaving the country. Nope. Never.

Not until I found some sense of closure, peace, and justice.

moo

Exactly! I would not be going on business as usual as if nothing had happened. I wouldn't cancel the mission trip, but I would certainly move it back a year or three until the investigation wrapped up, and I could grieve properly. However, RS has apparently carried on as if nothing has happened. As a Christian, I know if my spouse were brutally murdered, I could take comfort in the fact of knowing he is in a better place, however, I would still need time to grieve his loss and put my life back together. But, hey, I'm just a joe sinner too.....

Those who are supporting RS need to understand how cold and guilty this makes him look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member