Found Deceased CA - Donna Lass, 25, South Lake Tahoe, 6 Sept 1970

He was my "first" as well. I was still a kid and living in Southern, not Northern, California at the time he was active. I still remember the news showing their rendiition of the whole get up he was reportedly wearing at the LB killings and he totally scared the bejesus out of me.

Can't say he still scares me because I beleive he is most likely dead, but he was certainly one scary dude in his day and a true mystery that will, IMO, never be solved.

The sketch you refer to was drawn by Robert Graysmith, who was a political cartoonist for the San Francisco Chronicle. He wrote the now famous book about Zodiac in 1986. The sketch appears both in that book and in the movie based on the book.

The sketch is of a man with a black hood over his head and a circle with a cross through it on his chest. He is holding an automatic pistol in his hand and has a knife in a sheath hanging from his belt. It was based on the description given by Bryan Hartnell, the boy who survived the attack at Lake Berryessa.

I don't think this was the Zodiac killer. I always go by two mottos. When your hear hoof beats its usually horses not zebras. And its usually in-laws not outlaws. This seems like a boyfriend/someone she was dating murder. The calls especially point me in that direction. I think the zodiac letter was written by the person who killed her, not the zodiac. Whoever called her work, landlord wanted to buy time. I would say detectives should interview the roommate, who they supposedly never spoke to, and other friends/family.

I grew up in Wichita, KS during the BTK era - it's believed he borrowed some of his tactics from ZK.

I hear you on the just-beyond-scared. My blood still runs absolutely cold over certain aspects of that case. I still have a tough time sleeping at home alone…we have so many security lights you can see them from space! Don't think I'll ever really get over it, tell you the truth.

I don't have any info on Donna Ann Lass. But I had read about the Zodiac Killer on several occasions. The Crytpograms were of interest to me. Anyway, my point to this post is about The Zodiac killer. It was said in the stories I have read that they were able to pick up a few prints from a few of the scenes. Some in and around the first victims car. To a print on a public phone used to taunt the police and paper. Then there was one on the car of the cab driver. It was said that they were unable to match the prints to any known criminal. HOWEVER, my question is were these prints found at different scenes matching each other?

I don't think this was the Zodiac killer. I always go by two mottos. When your hear hoof beats its usually horses not zebras. And its usually in-laws not outlaws. This seems like a boyfriend/someone she was dating murder. The calls especially point me in that direction. I think the zodiac letter was written by the person who killed her, not the zodiac. Whoever called her work, landlord wanted to buy time. I would say detectives should interview the roommate, who they supposedly never spoke to, and other friends/family.

I agree with your analysis. The person responsible for Donna's disappearance knew who her employer and landlord were, and made calls to them. This was not a totally random act - as Zodiac's more likely murders seemed to be.

Zodiac did make phone calls after some of his killings, but it was immediately after the crime and to police. In those calls, he informed them of where the victims were, and other bits of information - he did not call anyone in an attempt to delay an investigation.

The Peek through the Pines card might have been written by Zodiac, but by the time he wrote it, information about Donna's disappearance had been made public and police already were investigating it. The Card could have been Zodiac trying to take credit. Or it could have been a different killer trying to get Zodiac blamed for it. Or it could have been some copycat writer (neither Zodiac or the killer) trying to get into the act.

If Donna's disappearance was due to Zodiac, it would mean that he had some connection to her.

I grew up in Wichita, KS during the BTK era - it's believed he borrowed some of his tactics from ZK.

I hear you on the just-beyond-scared. My blood still runs absolutely cold over certain aspects of that case. I still have a tough time sleeping at home alone…we have so many security lights you can see them from space! Don't think I'll ever really get over it, tell you the truth.

I have come to believe that the Zodiac may be most similiar to BTK insofar as I think he was a fairly regular guy on the surface. A Dennis Rader type, married with children. I think that is likely why he was never identified after death, because his family covered up whatever evidence he left behind to prove his identity and I do think he would have left evidence to prove it.

As for Donna Lass, no I don't think she was a Zodiac victim, just another one of many cases that some researchers seem intent on connecting with Zodiac.
Happens with all famous serial killers. There are the "known" victims and then the ones that people try to tie to them with sometimes sketchy, at best, connections.

Zodiac never bothered to cover up his kills, quite the opposite he seemed anxious for them to be discovered, and I agree that this sounds much more like someone who knew Donna and the phone calls were to buy time.

This case doesn't fit Zodiac based on what I've read & shows I've watched. I think it more likely that someone else killed her and tried make it appear that it was Zodiak.

The more I think about this one(barring Zodiac actually being someone in her personal circle) the call to her work just makes me think it was not Zodiac.
Reminds me of Charles Whitman phoning in his mother and wife off sick to work after he killed them.
He was very familiar with their personal obligations and wanted to buy himself time.
"Oh geez,this person has to be to work in the morning and their Boss is going to be pissed and ask questions." just doesnt seem like something a stranger killer would consider immediatly.

It seems that Zodiac was the "hit and run" type, if you base it only on his confirmed victims.

However, in 1970, the same year Lass disappeared, a woman named Kathleen Johns was abducted by a man believed to be Zodiac, although I am not sure that it was conclusively linked to him.

She barely escaped the stranger, from what I remember reading, and this happened in a rural area of central California. So if it was in fact Z, he did operate differently than ambush style gun/knife attacks.

I grew up in Vallejo, at the time Zodiac first started killing. I knew Darlene, and her family.

I myself never thought Lass was one of his victims. Despite the card that was sent. You would not believe the amount of people claiming to either be the Zodiac, or they knew who he was. Just me personally, I heard a different version of who he was from so many people, I could not count. I was just a teenager at that time. But multiply that for the rest of the population, and you can kind of see what the police had to follow up on at the time. When looking back at it, the behavior,and the view of the people was really out there. Even some L.E. acted unprofessional, and got the Zodiac disease! Of course this was also during Height Ashbury, and a heavy drug use period of time.

I recall that SF Chronicle staff found a letter stuffed in their files postmarked from Eureka, California, in 1990.

It had a creepy Christmas theme, with a rabbit on it, and had photocopies of post office box keys on it.

http://zodiackillerfacts.com/zodiac-christmas-card.htm

I wonder if the keys had any significance to the Lass case. The card itself has weird parallels to the Eureka card, IMHO.

I recall that SF Chronicle staff found a letter stuffed in their files postmarked from Eureka, California, in 1990.

It had a creepy Christmas theme, with a rabbit on it, and had photocopies of post office box keys on it.

http://zodiackillerfacts.com/zodiac-christmas-card.htm

I wonder if the keys had any significance to the Lass case. The card itself has weird parallels to the Eureka card, IMHO.

I will go read it. I did not think there was anything about the zodiac that I had not read. I can tell you this. The cab driver Paul Stine, his cab keys, and wallet and his eyeglasses was missing. Some of the photos of Paul Stine, are with him dead,and eyes were actually painted on his lids. Yeah, maybe those are some kind of post office keys. They sure not car keys. I think I did read this long ago. After the first initial killings, he started taking things to provide proof that it was him for the S.F. Chronicle and I guess the police. After killing Paul Stine, he took the time, to rip part of Stines shirt, and took his wallet and the glasses, keys,to the cab. Parts of the shirt he would send along with the letter for proof. Not sure what to think of the Eureka letter, but it does have parts to it, that sound like him.

I've never seen Donna Lass as a Zodiac victim. She just doesn't fit. Too many deviations from his usual pattern. I've always believed Cheri-Jo Bates was a probable Zodiac victim, especially since the Riverside Police Department's long-time favourite suspect was recently ruled out with DNA evidence (taken from some male hairs clutched in her hand, almost certainly from her attacker). And I also believe the June 4 1963 double-murder of Linda Edwards and Robert Domingos in Santa Barabara county was an early Zodiac crime - possibly his first. That particular case has Zodiac written all over it. The victim profile, the MO, the location - it all fits with Zodiac's later attacks on young couples. Granted, he showed he was willing to break his own mold when he murdered cab driver Paul Stine on a busy San Fran Street. But Lass, to me, is not a compelling possibility. I'd need to see some convincing evidence before I even considered her a Z victim. Thus far I have not.

I note that Darkblue above has linked to Mike Butterfield's site: Zodiackillerfacts.com IMO, that is the site for solid, objective information on the Zodiac crimes. Mike has always taken great pains to maintain an open mind, while taking a good, hard, skeptical look at the facts, thus presenting the evidence as it is, not as he wishes it to be. That is something that can be said about few other "zodiolgists". In many ways, Zodiac is one of the most frustrating cases to discuss online. I was relieved to wade through this thread and not see a bunch of speculation based on what Darlene Ferrin's two wacky sisters decided to make up years after the fact. There have been far too many pixels wasted rehashing the ever-changing stories of those two flakes: strange men showing up at Darlene's parties, stalkers, "strangers" lurking and learing at the restaurant where she worked, etc. Mike Butterfield has examined the original police reports, including the original interviews with the sisters and friends of Darlene Ferrin. NONE of those stories were shared with police in the days and weeks and months after the crime. Not until the 1980s did they start coming up with those stories. Some of their nonsense even made its way into John Douglas's book.

And then there are the Arthur Leigh Allen devotees. Yes, he was a fascinating suspect. He was also ruled out by every piece of forensic evidence developed from the crime scenes and the known Zodiac letters. Handwriting analysis ruled him out as author of the letters. His palm print did not match the "writer's palm" recovered from one of the letters. His fingerprints did not match the bloody print found at the Stine scene. Finally, his DNA did not match DNA recovered from the stamp of one of the known Zodiac letters. It wasn't him. But thanks in large part to Robert Graysmith's Zodiac Unmasked, largely a self-serving historical fiction, and the (admittedly excellent, though even more sensationalized) movie based on the book, millions remain convinced of Arthur Leigh Allen's guilt.

If Zodiac is alive and can be caught, or even if there is a chance of identifying him, the case has to be investigated again from the ground up.

BTW, I read "Zodiac Unmasked", and even then, Graysmith didn't convince me either.
I think there is a chance Allen was living vicariously through Zodiac, or pretending to be him when it suited his purposes, but wasn't him.

If he was, the forensic evidence would have matched, and surely the police would have found something on his property.

Just a clarification to something I mentioned above. The Eureka card has weird parallels to the Peek through the Pines card, I should have written.

Just a clarification to something I mentioned above. The Eureka card has weird parallels to the Peek through the Pines card, I should have written.

That Eureka card is a strange one. Butterfield isn't convinced that the handwriting analysts who ruled it out as an authentic Zodiac letter were correct.

Speaking from a law enforcement perspective, I apologize for the long post

There's simply not enough facts listed to draw a conclusion

All we know for a fact is that she went missing after leaving work, her car, and "belongings" were still at her home.

The day after "someone" called both her employer and her landlord saying she wouldn't be returning, due to a family emergency

It also doesn't state which belongings, were they things she would grab to run out ?? EX her purse?

Other accounts also state that a Zodiac letter was later sent claiming responsibility, and that belongings of hers were found in a shallow, grave however it doesn't state if the letter from the "Zodiac" identified the location of the items themselves .

Although possible Zodiac, wanted credit for the disappearance, its also possible that whomever is responsible for her disappearance , may have faked, the letter to Law enforcement to shift the scope of the investigation.

Why Bury items??.. Zodiac had never done that before , why lead Law enforcement to them later, if not to her body if you really want credit for here disappearance?

There's a chance she simply wanted to disappear , and someone pretending to be the zodiac, just laid claim to it

Then there's also the chance, she wanted to disappear, and used the Zodiac herself to throw off her trail... though it seems unlikely

In terms of the Zodiac case it seems unlikely, This case seems so different from any of the other Zodiac crimes, and this isn't a case of MO,

Zodiac wasn't known to abduct his victims, he also would also contact law enforcement to take credit for his crimes, as well , he wanted to be known, anyone who's going to take that much time to contact media and law enforcement?, THEN all the sudden now he's hiding bodies?... Doesn't seem likely

There's a lot of important questions, that need to be answered before one can draw a conclusion .

Did she make it home?
Did she even go home?
Was she involved with anyone?
Was there any indication that she wanted to leave or disappear ?
Was she afraid of anyone or anything ?
What do the people close to her think happened ?
What belongings were left ?

The phone call seems like a very telling clue ... why would anyone bother calling BOTH her landlord AND her employer and tell them she wasn't coming back??... now this was the day after she disappeared, it also lists the call as a Hoax but doesn't provide the evidence stating why it was labeled a hoax, and if anyone was ever identified for making that call. ....SO why call ? its possible both the employer, and the landlord were familiar with the individual in question.

OR someone actually felt a sense of responsibility TO tell them she wasn't coming back, maybe Donna Lass herself

Until more facts about the case are released...or if there aren't anymore than the few that have been, its almost impossible to draw a conclusion based on what's given

Unless of course evidence is being withheld by law enforcement for exclusionary reasons

I've never seen Donna Lass as a Zodiac victim. She just doesn't fit. Too many deviations from his usual pattern. I've always believed Cheri-Jo Bates was a probable Zodiac victim, especially since the Riverside Police Department's long-time favourite suspect was recently ruled out with DNA evidence (taken from some male hairs clutched in her hand, almost certainly from her attacker). And I also believe the June 4 1963 double-murder of Linda Edwards and Robert Domingos in Santa Barabara county was an early Zodiac crime - possibly his first. That particular case has Zodiac written all over it. The victim profile, the MO, the location - it all fits with Zodiac's later attacks on young couples. Granted, he showed he was willing to break his own mold when he murdered cab driver Paul Stine on a busy San Fran Street. But Lass, to me, is not a compelling possibility. I'd need to see some convincing evidence before I even considered her a Z victim. Thus far I have not.

I note that Darkblue above has linked to Mike Butterfield's site: Zodiackillerfacts.com IMO, that is the site for solid, objective information on the Zodiac crimes. Mike has always taken great pains to maintain an open mind, while taking a good, hard, skeptical look at the facts, thus presenting the evidence as it is, not as he wishes it to be. That is something that can be said about few other "zodiolgists". In many ways, Zodiac is one of the most frustrating cases to discuss online. I was relieved to wade through this thread and not see a bunch of speculation based on what Darlene Ferrin's two wacky sisters decided to make up years after the fact. There have been far too many pixels wasted rehashing the ever-changing stories of those two flakes: strange men showing up at Darlene's parties, stalkers, "strangers" lurking and learing at the restaurant where she worked, etc. Mike Butterfield has examined the original police reports, including the original interviews with the sisters and friends of Darlene Ferrin. NONE of those stories were shared with police in the days and weeks and months after the crime. Not until the 1980s did they start coming up with those stories. Some of their nonsense even made its way into John Douglas's book.

And then there are the Arthur Leigh Allen devotees. Yes, he was a fascinating suspect. He was also ruled out by every piece of forensic evidence developed from the crime scenes and the known Zodiac letters. Handwriting analysis ruled him out as author of the letters. His palm print did not match the "writer's palm" recovered from one of the letters. His fingerprints did not match the bloody print found at the Stine scene. Finally, his DNA did not match DNA recovered from the stamp of one of the known Zodiac letters. It wasn't him. But thanks in large part to Robert Graysmith's Zodiac Unmasked, largely a self-serving historical fiction, and the (admittedly excellent, though even more sensationalized) movie based on the book, millions remain convinced of Arthur Leigh Allen's guilt.

I agree with most of your post except about ALA. I happen to believe this case was essentially lost to prosecution because the house was not tossed at the same time the trailer was. When he dropped dead he had pipe bombs and the like in his basement. And I also believe that he was about to be arrested but died before he was.

As to the forensics, I have seen nothing that would substantiate that the forensics would rule him out. Unless a chain of custody could be established on the DNA it means absolutely nothing.

Having said all this, I would seriously doubt that he killed Donna Lass based on my remembrance of the case.

The Zodiac case has its share of charlatans and cult following but there is always a new suspect being developed and nothing that I am aware of would definitively rule out ALA. I know a little bit about this subject since my past employment worked with DNA and collection of same.

I knew Darlene's sisters quite well, and unfortunately it is quite accurate about their "Lying". They were like that long before their sister died. Most of us that knew them, wondered and speculated how long before LE would catch on to them, and their desire for attention. Like another poster stated, I think they did a lot of harm to the case, giving out BS information.

My grandma brought me up, and would not let me hang around with them anymore.For reasons I will not post here on a public forum.

Myself, I do not think we will ever find out who he was.jmo

The Zodiac case has its share of charlatans and cult following but there is always a new suspect being developed and nothing that I am aware of would definitively rule out ALA. I know a little bit about this subject since my past employment worked with DNA and collection of same.

{respectfully snipped}

I just finished reading through the following page, from a site that was recommended by another poster upthread as being good and factually accurate. According to this, DNA and partial palm print apparently ruled him out. This is a pretty good read: http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com/case.htm

tcg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back