Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a pretty fab picture, and totally answered my question, but someone else has also posted that it wouldn't be possible to catch night time pictures, so it wouldn't work in this case, but glad to know it's possible!

I've never been able to get my head around tomnod, as i just don't "see" anything substantial in the pictures, but this is fantastic & i agree, it does show "scale" as such!

Thanks so much again for posting!!

I asked geokaren if it is true that satellites can only capture images during daylight because they use the sun's reflection. She said that was true.

Maybe you can see it better if I insert this way, if you look closely you can see the shadow of the plane on the water (look in front of the nose)-

planeinflight.jpg

Click to see larger

It is a plane in flight....(saw it before on a different site)-

xlywhv.jpg

I'm thinking it'd be useful to have something painted on top of the plane if they are going to be picked up as clear as this by satellite.

Also, someone has posted above re Geokarens helpful comments - satellites generally pick up pics between 10am and 1pm (due to position of sun) so it's unlikely MH370 would have been seen as it apparently crashed around 8am.

I asked geokaren if it is true that satellites can only capture images during daylight because they use the sun's reflection. She said that was true.

I don't dispute anything! I had asked the question before, as it was something that i'd thought about, and wondered if it was possible... I didn't see any replies at the time, but possibly it's been a late night question, where i've posted while catching up with things in bed, fallen asleep & missed the answers while i was asleep!

It's 23:09 here - sleuthin' time 😉

I don't dispute anything! I had asked the question before, as it was something that i'd thought about, and wondered if it was possible... I didn't see any replies at the time, but possibly it's been a late night question, where i've posted while catching up with things in bed, fallen asleep & missed the answers while i was asleep!

It's 23:09 here - sleuthin' time 😉

Oh, I know! I figured I would save you time searching for the post.
Sorry if it seemed like a snippy post...it was definitely not. :loveyou:

Well, put on a tin-foil hat before you read this (I promise I will not get weird) but by the time the plane ran out of fuel, wasn't it daylight?

It was daylight but whether or not a satellite pic could be captured would depend on where and at what time the satellite was taking pics. The tomnod pic of the plane really does put a perspective on size of objects. I notice the time of the pic to be 4 (something) AM UTC. Wonder where that pic is taken and local time for it. Thanks

Maybe you can see it better if I insert this way, if you look closely you can see the shadow of the plane on the water (look in front of the nose)-

View attachment 42569

Click to see larger

Is it dark in perth at 4:08am, if I am seeing right that is the time the image was taken.

I am not sure if the 4am is the time it is taken or the time it is transmitted or the time it is uploaded to something or the time in Greenwich. It sure doesn't look like 4am local time.

Oh, I know! I figured I would save you time searching for the post.
Sorry if it seemed like a snippy post...it was definitely not. :loveyou:

Noooooo! Didn't seem snippy, just had noticed a few people had pointed me towards geokaren's responses - i hadn't seen them & didn't (until now) have an answer to my question.

I just had a picture in my head of lots of swirls n squiggles of satellite pictures of all vehicles in the sky at one point in time, then an hour later, and so forth, that some poor scientist somewhere was trying to figure out which was which, in a sort of "where's wally" scenario?

Thanks to all who posted comment about it, and thanks to fluffy puppy for posting the pic!

*doing a wee happy jig as i'm not a total numpty for asking*

HOLY COW I just about had a heart attack (see this tomnod map, below)

But before you do, too, remember when when someone here was asking why these satellites coudn't have picked up a picture of the plane in fliight? I THINK that is what this is - I think this Tomnod map show a plane that is flying - date on the pic is 4/4.

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/mh370_indian_ocean/map/2702113

If you cannot see this, and if you see it you will know, let me know and i wil ltry to post a screen grab.

I could see it, you have to follow the arrows to the picture. The plane is white on the right hand side of the picture, over the water. Great.

By the position of the shadow, the sun would be close-ish to being overhead. And the sun would be directly behind the plane - so the plane was either travelling west before noon, or east not too long after noon.

imo

Thanks. Hadn't realized that at first, however, still hopeful.

Yes, still hopeful
I would like to see the other 2 ships carrying/towing a beacon locator search that same site and report it's findings

Two ships -- the Australian navy's Ocean Shield and the British HMS Echo are carrying sophisticated equipment that can hear the recorders' pings, one ship has the US Navy's towed pinger locator that can detect a ping in 20,000 ocean depth but it still needs to be within a certain range (1-2 mile i think) to be able to pick up that signal..

I thought the Chinese had a towed pinger locator but I was mistaken, what the Chinese have is a detector that was placed in the ocean just below the water surface.
I am not sure at what depth this tool can pick up the locator beacon signal but I am hopeful
UPDATE
Based on previous images, earlier in this thread, i believe the Chinese have a BENTHOS Locator which can locate a pinger signal in 600ft or 183m ocean depth

W020140405714536370341_r75-3378038.jpg

Not all satellites need the sun to relay an image back to earth. The satellite/s that took that pic may need the sun but not all.

Ah, I was wondering what everyone was talking about regarding the time as I thought there would be a time difference but I just saw Perth time and Kuala Lumpur time is the same.

The sun rose at 6:08am that day for info.

Yay China! I really love the fact that this has been such a unified effort. I think ithe search effort it'self has been great for our region.

Perhaps the one good thing that may come from this tragedy.

Noooooo! Didn't seem snippy, just had noticed a few people had pointed me towards geokaren's responses - i hadn't seen them & didn't (until now) have an answer to my question.

I just had a picture in my head of lots of swirls n squiggles of satellite pictures of all vehicles in the sky at one point in time, then an hour later, and so forth, that some poor scientist somewhere was trying to figure out which was which, in a sort of "where's wally" scenario?

Thanks to all who posted comment about it, and thanks to fluffy puppy for posting the pic!

*doing a wee happy jig as i'm not a total numpty for asking*

:wave:
we are all gathered here for the same cause
:gathering:
we ask questions, we get answers, we read theories and speculation, of course we back it all up with msm links :blushing:

Dance away Mumma P :genie:

Here's the link again..

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/05/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/

The ship first detected a signal Friday but couldn't record it because the signal stopped abruptly, a Shanghai-based Communist Party newspaper said.

The signal detected Saturday, the Jiefang Daily said, occurred at 3:57 p.m. Beijing time (3:57 a.m. ET) and lasted about a minute and a half.

It was not clear whether the signal had anything to do with the missing plane.

If it turns out to be a valid ping discovery, so close to the arc, the never before done calculations by Inmarsat are just WOW!

So...do we know if the main search IS being moved today or not? I read ^^^^^ that they are thinking about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParamLubana