GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is experiencing strange pop ups or worrisome virus threat warnings there are some threads where you can give the admin some info that may help them figure out if there are any problems. If you can, screen cap the messages to send privately to staff if they ask for it after you have described the issue in those threads.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

could not locate a link to the other one I have seen but this one is active

Now wouldn't that be something? So he is sitting there day and night wondering what he may have missed and all of a sudden he thinks the HH may have him on video and that has got him worried for some reason.

This part is very interesting as well:

He emphasized the investigation continues to follow established patterns – interviewing property owners, service workers, checking surveillance tapes

So he sure isn't ready to let go of the property owners yet by any means or service workers in the area. He seems to still be concentrating on those who may live or work in the area.

IMO

Hard to say, though. I think I'd take info that Sills gives with a grain of salt. IMO anything he says or doesn't say could be intentional, to throw off the perp(s). In other words, he may claim they're still interviewing property owners & service workers when in fact that's all been completed but he wants (based on inside info he knows) the perp(s) to believe this is still the case. Sills strikes me as someone who watches his words and has "reasons" for the info he relays to the media, he's clever that way. I can see him stating things that might give the perp(s) a false sense of security/safety in hopes the perp(s) will slip up as a result. Just my 2 Canadian cents. :)

It's about 1/3 of a mile from HH to Publix (easy walk) and then about 8.5 miles to Carolyn Drive according to Mapquest.

My father and his pals (all retired and over the age of 65) would congregate early each morning at McDonalds... they'd drink coffee and chat for (at least) a couple of hours. I wonder if MrD and his friends had a similar ritual (at Huddle House)? - but probably we would have heard of such by now, maybe?

Mine, too, at a local cafe and then at the American Legion post after the cafe closed. For YEARS. Maybe Mr. D was there prior to going to Publix? And someone (waitress/cook/customer) finally remembered someone?

I still think folks aren't talking for a reason or two.

Hard to say, though. I think I'd take info that Sills gives with a grain of salt. IMO anything he says or doesn't say could be intentional, to throw off the perp(s). In other words, he may claim they're still interviewing property owners & service workers when in fact that's all been completed but he wants (based on inside info he knows) the perp(s) to believe this is still the case. Sills strikes me as someone who watches his words and has "reasons" for the info he relays to the media, he's clever that way. I can see him stating things that might give the perp(s) a false sense of security/safety in hopes the perp(s) will slip up as a result. Just my 2 Canadian cents. :)

Media Management in Serial and High Profile Homicide Investigations/FBI

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder/serial-murder-1#nine

Can anyone speculate WHY the reward is only a measly $20,000?

There must be a reason that the children/family haven't chipped in when I think it's obvious that at least the sons should be able to do so?

I'm not making an accusations against the family at all.....just wondering if maybe they have wanted/offered to but LE/GBI/FBI has advised against it and is so, what might some possible reasons against it be?

Or wait - was that reward put up only for finding SD and NOT for info leading to the arrest of the perp(s)?

Seems to me that someone might be a lot more inclined to speak up if, say, 100K was up for grabs?

There must be a reason that the children/family haven't chipped in when I think it's obvious that at least the sons should be able to do so?

I'm not making an accusations against the family at all.....just wondering if maybe they have wanted/offered to but LE/GBI/FBI has advised against it and is so, what might some possible reasons against it be?

Or wait - was that reward put up only for finding SD and NOT for info leading to the arrest of the perp(s)?

Seems to me that someone might be a lot more inclined to speak up if, say, 100K was up for grabs?

I think the family has hired a PI and that is where their money is focused.

I think most reasonable people would speak up for free if not $25K. And scum-bags would turn their buddy over for $25 dollars.

Rewards always get brought up in cases, but I honestly haven't seen where one solved a case, or brought a person back. There's been cases where the body was found, and reward claimed, but otherwise, I just haven't seen where it helps, no matter the amount.

I'm more concerned about what the Dermonds routine was like. Did they have a routine? Were they shower or bath takers? Did they normally bath in the morning, afternoon, or evenings? Were they daily bathers or every other day? Did they cook at home often? Did they have 3 meals a day? Did they eat out for certain meals routinely? Did they have a dish washer? Was it used daily? Or only when there was a full load? Did they do laundry daily? Or weekly? Did Mrs. Dermond have a normal time she did her crossword puzzles? Was that in the afternoon after lunch? Maybe while relaxing with a glass of tea? Or later in the day? Did Mr Dermond take daily walks in the early mornings? Was Mrs Dermond awake when he took those walks? Or did he go for a stroll in the evenings? Did they do most things together? Or continue to have their own hobbies, and friends? Did they wear shoes in the house? If not, where did they normally sit to remove their shoes, and where did they keep them? Were they wearing outside shoes, or house shoes when found?

I know we don't have these answers, but maybe if a family is reading, something I posted will ring a bell, and they can tell LE about it.

If the Dermonds DID have a routine, that would help greatly with determining when this crime occurred. Maybe they have close neighbors or close friends that could help fill in the blanks.

Did they travel frequently? If so, did they fly or drive? Did they take day trips often, or plan out trips for a week or more at a time? Were they anticipating a trip in the near future?

There may be more elderly attacks than known, maybe a lack of research on who might prey upon this population, maybe a lack of media coverage. My first experience with it was Mrs. Croft, who live right across the street from my grandparents in Alcoa, TN. There were some noted cases with similar patterns in Knox County, which neighbors Blount County. None of these cases were solved. Is is possibile a correct profile of someone who does something like this isn't quite there yet?

http://www.wate.com/story/13508469/who-raped-and-killed-elderly-alcoa-woman-in-her-home

Yes, I think you're right, a profile of someone similar to the person who killed Mrs. Croft. I think Sheriff Sills is afraid of saying those two dreaded words "serial killer". No mention if Mrs. Dermond was raped, just head trauma. I'm just glad he's still investigating property owners and employees. That in and of itself includes a large number of potential suspects. I would hope to get an update of who requested the surveillence tapes from the Huddle House!

If anyone is experiencing strange pop ups or worrisome virus threat warnings there are some threads where you can give the admin some info that may help them figure out if there are any problems. If you can, screen cap the messages to send privately to staff if they ask for it after you have described the issue in those threads.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

could not locate a link to the other one I have seen but this one is active

Thank you tlcya! I just want to tell you when I see your hawk avatar I feel so much better. A voice of reason in the midst of my crazy thoughts and theories! :loveyou:

I think most reasonable people would speak up for free if not $25K. And scum-bags would turn their buddy over for $25 dollars.

I'd hire a PI too. :twocents:

Thanks Peach. Took note of this from the Messenger article:

"One of the lines being followed is conferring with the University of Georgia Department of Hydraulics to discuss likely movement of a body in the waters of Lake Oconee.

Because the water levels on lakes Oconee and Sinclair rise and fall each day – because of power generation at Wallace Dam – the area has “unusual dynamics” from the “manmade tide,” the sheriff said."

Does this mean the sheriff is thinking the body was not "placed" at Riley Shoals?

First time on this thread;

OBE, you're obviously a very good thinker, but how would you explain Mrs. Dermond's corpse being found without "glaring" signs of trauma yet the coroner determined cause of death was blunt force trauma? Did the sheriff say either had been hit with a crowbar or was that conjecture?

Nuvolari

JonBenet would of died of blunt force trauma if someone hadn't of strangled her to death with the white cord. The head injury shocked the ME when he found it during her autopsy.

Mrs. D was in the water for quite a while. I would think that makes it difficult - before autopsy - to see the injury.

True, that could be a possibility, although I think Sills says pretty much what he means. Most Georgia Sheriff's are a lot like Sills. lol

It also could be very possible he wants the killer to know he is not out of the woods yet and wanting to apply pressure that he is still looking right in that area for the killer.

LE often does try to apply pressure to see if the murderer will get nervous and do something out of the ordinary. Like maybe going back to check on evidence they have discarded to make sure its still hidden.

It just seems way more reasonable to me anyway that the FBI profilers have told Sills they believe the murderer lives close by in that general area and that is why he would know all the things that had to be known beforehand to pull this off without a hitch.

I think it is showing them that he has a close familiarity where it happened including knowing how to navigate on Lake Oconee, Imo and also knows the layout of all the properties there... not only at GW, but knows where the homes are on Lake Oconee ,and that is why he made sure to dispose of Shirley 1/3 of a mile away from any home. All of this shows me he has very good knowledge of the area he murdered in and the area where he disposed Shirley in. I think he lives right there in the area it happened and I think Sills knows that. IMO

It would take a tremendous amount of time to interview all 200 residents who filled out the long questionnaires and they may want to go back and re-interview some.

So I do think he is continuing to investigate the case from a local standpoint. He has already said he believes whoever this is may have known S&R even if they weren't close friends. Imo, that would only be someone they knew in the approximate area of where they lived. So to me that means he thinks the suspect is right there in the county the investigation is happening in.

I think he wants the killer to know he hasn't fooled him and he knows he lives right inside of that county.

IMO

there was a "somewhat recent" report that Sills was considering raising that amount........not sure why family didn't either

hey where'd you find info that family hired PI? Thnx

they've got court orders for searches in Georgia and other states.
but wow, terrible, no clue I think

also, may clarify the find of SD body

"Fishermen found her body in Lake Oconee May 16, tangled in the tree line near Wallace Dam – more than 5 miles from the house."

– and admits his office still is looking for solid leads in the case.

Sills said detectives continue collecting surveillance recordings from all sorts of businesses in the Lake Oconee area

WOW, wonder what other states?

they've got court orders for searches in Georgia and other states.
but wow, terrible, no clue I think

also, may clarify the find of SD body

"Fishermen found her body in Lake Oconee May 16, tangled in the tree line near Wallace Dam – more than 5 miles from the house."

– and admits his office still is looking for solid leads in the case.

Sills said detectives continue collecting surveillance recordings from all sorts of businesses in the Lake Oconee area

WOW, wonder what other states?

Perhaps a neighboring state, like Florida? :dunno:

Thanks Peach. Took note of this from the Messenger article:

"One of the lines being followed is conferring with the University of Georgia Department of Hydraulics to discuss likely movement of a body in the waters of Lake Oconee.

Because the water levels on lakes Oconee and Sinclair rise and fall each day – because of power generation at Wallace Dam – the area has “unusual dynamics” from the “manmade tide,” the sheriff said."

Does this mean the sheriff is thinking the body was not "placed" at Riley Shoals?

Imo, Sheriff Sills is beginning to sound a little wishy-washy, Nuvolari..

Wondering why it took DNR/investigators almost 3 weeks to discuss the hydraulic dynamics of the lake and likely movement of SD's body? Sheriff Sills said, "the lake has unusual dynamics from the man-made tides."
Guess, someone maybe reading the WS SD thread and noticed the info shared by one of the local members, huh?

*Investigators are still looking for solid leads in the Dermond case.

* Just down the Eatonton Hwy in Madison, GA, arrests were made of multiple gang members(Gangster Disciples)at an apartment complex for aggravated robbery 05/01/14.. (Likely not related, imo, Just an FYI)
http://www.msgr.com/lake_oconee_news/news/crime/article_284bfc04-d7bf-11e3-b693-001a4bcf887a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox