GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this interesting. I had heard nothing of this tidbit til now:

Sills told Channel 2’s Mark Winne that someone logged on to the Dermond’s computer at their home during the afternoon of Friday, May 2. He presumes it was one of the Dermonds, Sills said.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/sheriff-killer-likely-knew-reynolds-plantation-cou/ngK8c/

Very interesting. I wondered how computer savvy the Dermonds were. Did they monitor the security cameras from their computer? I thought one of the son's said it was a state of the art security system... Will have to look for that link.

"They lived a remarkably simple life, Sills said. Russell Dermond only had two credit cards and put everything on those to rack up rewards points. He didn't even have an ATM card as he never carried cash, the sheriff said.

They were regulars at the Lake Oconee Community Church, missing services only when they went to visit their children in other states, Pastor David Key said. They were social and clearly had money but didn't flaunt it, he said.

"They were just a nice, unassuming couple," Key said.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/ga-couples-killing-leaves-authorities-baffled

Then again SS could be simply saying that the Dermonds were still alive Friday afternoon because they logged on to their computer. This statement could be referencing a timeline and nothing more.

This is exactly what I thought when I read this too. How horrible to think about what the Dermond's must have been put through. :(

I think whoever killed the Dermond's made them log on to their computer, or the killer logged onto their computer. I also think the killer cleaned that house so it would be "immaculate". Someone close to the killer(s) must notice something off in their behavior. Would those close to the killer(s) suspect them of murdering the Dermond's? Could one of those closest to the killer(s) have unwittingly given them an alibi, but maybe have come to realize there's something very wrong?

Hoping to hear of arrest(s) soon.

That's what I think too Solitaryone. The killer cleaned the house and he cleaned himself and his clothes. Can figure no other reason to take the lint from the dryer.

"Investigators have collected bags of evidence, including things as seemingly mundane as dryer lint, Winne reported."

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/sheriff-killer-likely-knew-reynolds-plantation-cou/ngK8c/

I caught the report at 5 and Sills said they have a neighbor who says she saw a man walking in their backyard Sat afternoon. She said she assumed it wasn't Mr. D because of his age and how the man was able to walk up their sloped back yard with ease. Paraphrasing. Sorry, can't find a link to the video.

Sills said she could not give a description, just said she saw a man.
I guess if that is accurate, the killer was still there Sat.

Sent using Tapatalk

I caught the report at 5 and Sills said they have a neighbor who says she saw a man walking in their backyard Sat afternoon. She said she assumed it wasn't Mr. D because of his age and how the man was able to walk up their sloped back yard with ease. Paraphrasing. Sorry, can't find a link to the video.

Sent using Tapatalk

:greetings::wagon::welcome3: Welcome aboard Scoop7! Well now that is interesting that the man was walking up their sloped back yard with slippery pine straw/needles and not using the paved trail with steps. . . . Did the Derby partiers not physically check on the Dermonds when they didn't answer the phone because they thought they might have had company? But then there's church and from the new article - they never missed a service unless they were visiting their kids from out of state. :waitasec:

"They were regulars at the Lake Oconee Community Church, missing services only when they went to visit their children in other states, Pastor David Key said. They were social and clearly had money but didn't flaunt it, he said."

Someone felt very much at ease to be walking around the Dermond yard in broad daylight...especially considering all that had just taken place inside.

Up until this latest article, I thought Sills did not think it was a robbery. It seems a little more information is being given out, and, the perp wanting something the Dermonds had, would be robbery or theft. Hmmm . .

This leads me to think if it was money, it somehow tied into the fact that the Dermonds did not have a debit card. Any money transfer would be too easy to trace. A debit card has a daily limit on it. So, on second thought getting money from the debit card probably would not yield much money. Oh chucks, another path down a dead end!

Sills knows exactly where that person that signed onto the D's computer went - another hint to the perp??

Sent using Tapatalk

Wow! I hope someone posts a link to this video! I wonder if the killer(s) spent Friday night in the Dermond home?

I know I read in one of the reports, but can't find it now, that SS said they had hundreds of finger prints. Did anyone else read that? ty

Polygraph tests of maintenance crews who worked at the Dermond home have come back negative. Hundreds of fingerprints have been taken at the Dermond home, but those have also produced no results as of yet.

Officials said that based on their investigation, they have been able to narrow the time-frame of the crime to somewhere between 4:30 p.m., on Friday, May 2 – when the mail was delivered – to 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 3, when the couple did not show up for a party.

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...-continue-search-for-shirley-dermond/9091165/

Thank you CarolinaPeach. :seeya:

Wow! I hope someone posts a link to this video! I wonder if the killer(s) spent Friday night in the Dermond home?

me too! Heck! He could have spent Saturday night there too and Sunday and Monday night. Nobody checked on them until Tuesday morning.

Gold would be ever better than cash.

Very interesting. I wondered how computer savvy the Dermonds were. Did they monitor the security cameras from their computer? I thought one of the son's said it was a state of the art security system... Will have to look for that link.

"They lived a remarkably simple life, Sills said. Russell Dermond only had two credit cards and put everything on those to rack up rewards points. He didn't even have an ATM card as he never carried cash, the sheriff said.

They were regulars at the Lake Oconee Community Church, missing services only when they went to visit their children in other states, Pastor David Key said. They were social and clearly had money but didn't flaunt it, he said.

"They were just a nice, unassuming couple," Key said.

Since the Pastor mentioned that the Dermonds only missed services when they went to visit their children in other states, well, I wonder if the Kentucky Derby party that the Dermonds missed, that some of those guests also went to the same church, and did they notice that not only the Dermonds missed the party that they were going to attend, but also missed church as well?
IMOO.

if Sills knows the computer was logged on, and presumes that the Dermonds logged it on on the afternoon of Friday May 2nd, then I have to believe he also knows what sites were visited during that log on. Which would tell much.

Example: Russell logs onto his money market account site and checks his balance. Or Shirley logs on and checks her ancestry site to see if any info came in about great great great uncle whoever. Or banking site was loaded.

WHAT was viewed after log on would contain much info for Sills to be able to tell it was a normal computer log in or one under possible duress.

MOO

Sent using Tapatalk

When you say the words "their backyard", are you speaking of this ladies back yard or the Dermonds backyard?
It was said the Dermonds did not have neighbors, so how did she see this person walking? Was she in a boat? Is the Dermonds property visible from a different street across the water? Or was she actually talking about her own backyard?
IMOO.

Thanks for all the updates, and thanks to those who recommended the book by Roger Depue...I spent the last 2 nights reading it. I'm surprised they haven't mentioned the logging on of the computer until now, unless like some suggested, Sills is dropping little nuggets. I'm of the opinion that Sills thinks it was 2 people, 2 weapons, the reason the head was taken was to conceal evidence, and the motive was "something they thought the D's had" - meaning money/safe? Am I on track now? Appreciate all your ideas! Still praying for results. This is a DP case if there ever was one!

Not sure if this article from yesterday was already posted:

‘Plausible lead’ - Sills following up on Dermond murders while reward fund grows
Posted Yesterday

~snipped

More at link: http://www.msgr.com/news/crime/article_7a795c98-f19a-11e3-8038-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

JMO, but it seems that investigators can't see the forest for the tree/s in the Dermond abduction/murders/decapitation.

Imo, an amateur or novice would have difficulty emulating a professional in a well planned and meticulously executed crime. Whereas a calculating professional could easily intentionally create the perception of a novice/mixed offender for deflection and confusion..

One only has to look at the results/repercussions of this horrific crime to see the likely motive and who the intended target was/is...imo..

http://nuwaubian.blogspot.com/2014/04/weather-update.html 04/30/2014
Weather Update
Several trees toppled due to high winds - Putnam County Courthouse
<snipped for focus & BBM>

Sheriff Sills said, 'no one was injured'..

<comment>

* 'Well...it's not the end of the day yet'..

When you say the words "their backyard", are you speaking of this ladies back yard or the Dermonds backyard?

It was said the Dermonds did not have neighbors, so how did she see this person walking? Was she in a boat? Is the Dermonds property visible from a different street across the water? Or was she actually talking about her own backyard?

IMOO.

I am just going by my interpretation of what was said but I was thinking if the man was spotted in the backyard it would be from a boat (and just going by the videos I've seen of their yard on the news).

Not sure why they (WSB) chose to omit that info in the story posted online. I thought it was noteworthy, at least for the time frame. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned without a link ... Hoping they will rerun the story tonight.

Sent using Tapatalk

:greetings::wagon::welcome3: Welcome aboard Scoop7! Well now that is interesting that the man was walking up their sloped back yard with slippery pine straw/needles and not using the paved trail with steps. . . . Did the Derby partiers not physically check on the Dermonds when they didn't answer the phone because they thought they might have had company? But then there's church and from the new article - they never missed a service unless they were visiting their kids from out of state. :waitasec:

"They were regulars at the Lake Oconee Community Church, missing services only when they went to visit their children in other states, Pastor David Key said. They were social and clearly had money but didn't flaunt it, he said."

If this is true, could that man be wearing a specialty type of boot, like the hiking boots that are made for ice climbing with crampons?
IMOO.

I am just going by my interpretation of what was said but I was thinking if the man was spotted in the backyard it would be from a boat (and just going by the videos I've seen of their yard on the news).

Not sure why they (WSB) chose to omit that info in the story posted online. I thought it was noteworthy, at least for the time frame. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned without a link ... Hoping they will rerun the story tonight.

Sent using Tapatalk

Maybe we can find the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads