The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 25th June - Trial Day 10, Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess if he pleads manslaughter the jury wouldn't be needed?

This is unbelievable! WTH! It seemed very rushed.
All we can do is hope now I guess : (

I know you can't say much, Vibey, but could this be something involving somebody having been caught out in a lie, and now admitting it on the grounds that it was told to avoid self-incrimination? I think it's called an Edwards redirection or something like that, isn't it? But I'm not a lawyer...

Where is Ali when we need her? She could even be in court, of course, with no means of communicating....

No.

Having connectivity issues. Site crashing.

prosecution now having legal arguments and judge considering diligently. Not sure how it will pan out.

Back to Defence. Ongoing arguments. Nerve wracking from my POV.

I'm kinda freaking out here!!!!! That %#££#%+ cannot walk free!!!!!! I was expecting soooooo much more from the prosecution!!!!!!!

All members of Roundabouts Anonymous gather round, and repeat after me:

Breathe in... Breathe out.... Relax...

And have another virtual Valium transmitted via WiFi again....

I'm hyperventilating.

Waiting, waiting, dehydrating.

He can't ride off into the sunset with everything. I bet the girls would be barred from the Dickies.

While I had secretly hoped for a smoking gun, (e.g. video footage of GBC's car at the Kenmore Roundabout at midnight) I am not distraught at the evidence presented by the Crown Prosecutors.

They are only presenting facts at this stage. They will tie it together in summation.

The facts, when considered in whole, are quite compelling.

They point to motive (financial woes, life insurance, extramarital affair and promises of separation).

They discredit the notion of suicide (professional and personal accounts support notion that ABC showed no suicidal tendencies).

They poke holes in the version of events of the accused (phone charger, timing of phone calls/phone activity and events on the morning of the disappearance, scratches to face, bodily injuries, erratic behaviour of the accused including self induced car crashes to mask injuries, doctor statements on scratches/shaving cuts not requested by Police etc etc).

They paint a picture of a likely scenario (a heated exchange the night before the reported disappearance, the conference issue bringing to light continued contact with TM, leaf evidence, blood and hair in the new Captiva, no witness sightings of ABC walking, late night screams, sounds of "dumping" in the wee hours near Kholo).

When you add all these together, it points very strongly to a case being proved "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Can't wait to see if GBC takes the stand. Would like to be a fly on the wall...

if it's any help.. this can be seen as a desperate throw of the dice by the defence.. and its what a good defence team often does.. its not extraordinary..

And its the correct time to do it.. of course, if.. IF he is trying for a plea of unlawful killing, it merely exposes all his repulsive pretence to the four winds.. he still has to explain how he unlawfully killed Alison. But before he can do that, the Crown has to be persuaded that it is in the best interests of the public and the courts to accept that plea. .

this is a huge task in front of the defence.. it rarely comes off.. it sometimes does, but it is a rare , rare moment in court life.

Don't be too concerned just yet.

We have all seen just how unlucky GBC has been.
The razor cuts
The caterpillars
The car crashes
The missing wife
The failing business

He doesn't come across as someone lucky enough to come up against a forgiving judge and a dense jury.

GBC.... The BC may stand for Black Cat

OK at least it's not just me .. that did seem a little underwhelming didn't it?

I not into "star gazing" etc, but last night, after a late night catching up on WS, that was my exact dream (nightmare) - he plead guilty to manslaughter. I wasn't going to say anything til now, but that's the honest truth. I hope my dream doesn't become reality.

I believe you!!

Like I said yesterday - he's a gambler !
This is just another gamble he's taking, let's hope he loses this as well - whatever it may be !

I wonder if this is why his brother has arrived at this time, to support his parents.

Does anyone honestly think that NBC will face a charge ? Maybe obstructing the course of justice or accessory after the fact...

Here is some of my thinking..... Need a legal brain to translate ....
The way things appeared to be headed, it was starting to look like he had accomplices, and it was starting to look clearer and clearer ......
Mathematically speaking, is this the cheapest way out?
One in jail or up to five in jail?

I'm sure we are all thinking of the Dickies at this time.

I sincerely hope that someone is with Mr and Mrs Dickie and looking after them. The last thing we need is another death in this family from this horrible horrible man. :mad:

Pretty good summing up there Stick - would you mind emailing that to the prosecution?

While I had secretly hoped for a smoking gun, (e.g. video footage of GBC's car at the Kenmore Roundabout at midnight) I am not distraught at the evidence presented by the Crown Prosecutors.

They are only presenting facts at this stage. They will tie it together in summation.

They point to motive (financial woes, life insurance, extramarital affair and promises of separation).

They discredit the notion of suicide (professional and personal accounts support notion that ABC showed no suicidal tendencies).

They poke holes in the version of events of the accused (phone charger, timing of phone calls/phone activity and events on the morning of the disappearance, scratches to face, bodily injuries, erratic behaviour of the accused including self induced car crashes to mask injuries, doctor statements on scratches/shaving cuts not requested by Police etc etc).

They paint a picture of a likely scenario (a heated exchange the night before the reported disappearance, the conference issue bringing to light continued contact with TM, leaf evidence, blood and hair in the new Captiva, no witness sightings of ABC walking, late night screams, sounds of "dumping" in the wee hours near Kholo).

When you add all these together, it points very strongly to a case being proved "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Thanks for summing it up like that, gives me a little more hope, I'm so anxious I can't think straight!!!!!

Also......in the police recording today the cop asked GBC if ABC was likely yo harm herself.....and his response was NO. That was the end of his defence right there.......probably the reason behind what may be happening now....bit of a coincidence i think

Sent using Tapatalk

Also......in the police recording today the cop asked GBC if ABC was likely yo harm herself.....and his response was NO. That was the end of his defence right there.......probably the reason behind what may be happening now....bit of a coincidence i think

If I was on this Jury we would need to decide if the scratches on Gerard's face were made by fingernails and if the unidentified DNA material under Allison's nails was Gerard's. If we couldn't get total agreement on those two points we couldn't find him guilty.

If we could agree on that then opportunity,motive and sundry facts plus the fingernail facts would certainly result in agreement on guilty.

Both defence and prosecution know that and also know it depends on the personalities of the jury as to whether they reach unanimous agreement.

On balance I think the defence needs an escape plan and could be reluctant to have defence witnesses cross examined especially if they are close to the family.

oh he isn't going to walk free.. he is ipso facto guilty of interfering with a corpse... 15 years ... that's on top of everything else.. he wont be staggering out into the fresh QLD air until 2040.

I believe you!!

Thank you - I must say after last nights dream I have been feeling uneasy all day. Then next minute, case closed! Is it too early for a G & T because I'm shaking right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname