Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not trying to insinuate anything-- but I do wonder if either KL or AL has ever struggled with mental illness.

It's hard to believe that one or both grandparents left with Nathan of their own volition because A. Police don't think so B. How would they have left without a car? C. Just why??

But it is also hard for me to imagine someone else doing this A. No one saw/heard anything strange that night B. Why take them? There's been no report of anyone trying to access their finances. C. There are certainly ways to subdue 3 individuals at once (a gun to Nathan's head?) but it is difficult, and could/should be an intimidating scenario for a perp.

Certainly, there are potential explanations for all of these points. But it is just so hard to imagine what the heck happened and why.

IF that dog was still a member of the household, hard to imagine it not kicking up a storm with a stranger entering the home. It did look like a pup in the ad though .. so maybe not into guard dog stage.

I think investigators should track down everyone that was owed money in the bankrupcy declaration, and find out what they were doing between Sunday 10PM and Monday 10AM. Some people are very tenacious, especially if someone cleaned out their life savings and went on to retire comfortably in Mexico.

The fact that the house was sold when the market was soft even though the family did not plan to move for another six months makes me wonder whether there was a possibility of a lien being placed against the house. Another thing of note is that the house was purchased by a lawyer ... perhaps that was the family lawyer and it was a quiet sale.

Someone posted that the house was sold for $703k. Was that a realtor sale, or where was that information from?

Being a Canadian and a travel agent I have to wonder if Mexico has more of a play in this. Canadians have been getting murdered in different areas of Mexico for sometime now. I have no clue if this was mentioned in previous posts. I also have no clue of it even relates as Mexico is a beautiful Country. Just kinda thinking out loud. Hope they are all found safe and sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Ws. dyannaON!
I was just about to post a similar thought, wondering about the family making any new friends or business acquaintances in, or from Mexico.

Just speculation ...

If N was asleep in another room, while the abduction was taking place, did the grandparents tell the perp(s) their grandson was in another room sleeping.

If N was not aware of what was going on, why would the abductor(s) take the little boy, if he was not witness to anything or anyone.

Why would the grandparents even let on he was in the home? Why wouldn't they take the chance their grandson would have stayed safe throughout the night or early morning until his mom arrived or hoped that N would have gone outside to look for them in the morning and be seen by a neighbour.

The person responsible would not have known N was going to be spending the night.

imo

Excellent point.

I don't think Nathan was sleeping when the crime happened, that's why.

JMO

Excellent point.

JMO

If he had been, he could have been woken up by the noise of whatever it was that was going on. Then called out for his grandparents or gotten up out of bed.

Welcome to Ws. dyannaON!

I was just about to post a similar thought, wondering about the family making any new friends or business acquaintances in, or from Mexico.

Thank you so much! Long time "guest" took the plunge and registered.

So many timeshare schemes and such in Mexico. Shady crimes and lives being taken. (Happens everywhere of course, just seems high for Canadians in Mexico) Just don't understand why take the little boy. Scary situation all around. Just don't see a good outcome. IMO.

How many vehicles did the L's own and were all of them parked in their driveway on Sunday evening?

Was there room in the driveway for another vehicle to park?

It is even more bizarre that person(s) would have been that brazen and confident to think that they would not be seen abducting two adults and a child on a residential street, if they had to park in front of the L home.

imo

The family were selling all there furniture. Nathan may have been camping in the lounge if beds had been sold. Or in with his grandparents.

Excellent point.

JMO

Perhaps someone was parked outside and was waiting for the last person to leave. Perhaps after Nathan's mom left, someone approached the house. Nathan was described as wearing shorts and a striped shirt, so he was probably still awake when his mom left, so it's quite possible he was awake and with the grandparents when the trouble started.

Sorry, just jumping in and not sure if this has been discussed.. with all this selling going on I wonder if they did a deposit at the end of each day?
Having an estate sale advertised like it was leaves them wide open for robbery. IMO

Sorry, just jumping in and not sure if this has been discussed.. with all this selling going on I wonder if they did a deposit at the end of each day?
Having an estate sale advertised like it was leaves them wide open for robbery. IMO

It does. However, the furniture wasn't that expensive. The most expensive piece I saw on the ads that were posted earlier (upthread) was a green sofa for $450. I doubt that there was more than $2-3000 in cash from the sale. One sofa was for sale and described as needing to be cleaned. There was a sofa bed for sale and, although it was described as comfortable, it was the style that has a metal bar running through the middle. Anyone that has slept on one of those will not do it again. The blue carpet on the floor in one of the photos was not stretched properly and was buckled across the floor. I don't think that anyone would go there and come away thinking that it was a high end property or that the contents had high value ... just my opinion.

Click forward on this to see the main floor carpet:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-image.html?adId=603471099&image=0&enableSearchNavigationFlag=false

This shows all of their kijiji ads:

http://www.kijiji.ca/o-posters-other-ads/56563739

Note: the moving company website appears to be a template for making a website, not an actual URL - which is what is normally sold.

Theft of a couple of thousand dollars doesn't result in much of a prison sentence - perhaps nothing more than a fine and repayment. Abduction of three person is an entirely different situation. I don't think that this had anything to do with stealing a couple of thousand dollars. I think this is financial, but about a lot more money than garage sale money.

I've been a lurker... This being my 1st post EVER. (Please delete if I'm not following rules correctly)...
I just watched the press conference (online) with RO & JO. Did anyone else notice JO seemed a bit despondent? In that she closed her eyes for a length of time, then staring, shaking her head at one point... Etc. I cannot even imagine her feelings at this time. I'm really hopeful that she is possibly medicated (I know I would NEED to be!), and there's nothing more to it. RO was heartbreaking. JO could possibly be the "strong" one of the two (as each parenting set seems to have/need), realizing she absolutely MUST hold it together.
I'm praying that ALL are found safe, and SOON!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member