Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also... The press release... When JO's brother spoke, he said ".... ARE my parents. Nathan WAS my nephew..."
I'm sure it was just stress-related/nerves talking....???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also... The press release... When JO's brother spoke, he said ".... ARE my parents. Nathan WAS my nephew..."
I'm sure it was just stress-related/nerves talking....???

I also noticed the past tense was used on several occasions during the press conference.

It does. However, the furniture wasn't that expensive. The most expensive piece I saw on the ads that were posted earlier (upthread) was a green sofa for $450. I doubt that there was more than $2-3000 in cash from the sale. One sofa was for sale and described as needing to be cleaned. There was a sofa bed for sale and, although it was described as comfortable, it was the style that has a metal bar running through the middle. Anyone that has slept on one of those will not do it again. The blue carpet on the floor in one of the photos was not stretched properly and was buckled across the floor. I don't think that anyone would go there and come away thinking that it was a high end property or that the contents had high value ... just my opinion.

This shows all of their kijiji ads:

http://www.kijiji.ca/o-posters-other-ads/56563739

Note: the moving company website appears to be a template for making a website, not an actual URL - which is what is normally sold.

Theft of a couple of thousand dollars doesn't result in much of a prison sentence - perhaps nothing more than a fine and repayment. Abduction of three person is an entirely different situation. I don't think that this had anything to do with stealing a couple of thousand dollars. I think this is financial, but about a lot more money than garage sale money.

BBM - I agree, BUT, there are alot of a freak methheads around that WOULD probably murder someone for a couple of grand.

My 3 Theories -

1. Robbery gone bad - took witnesses with them. Estate Sale motive. Thugs in deeper than they would like

2. Family member is depressed/snapped - accident after fight and took off or simply took off with the others

3. Abduction - Someone was watching Nathan or noticed him at the park or the sale. Tried to take him and got caught.

I don't think the bankruptcy/retribution or debt thing is motive for this crime.

The lights were on - I think - indicating the crime occurring during waking hours.

JMO

I've been a lurker... This being my 1st post EVER. (Please delete if I'm not following rules correctly)...
I just watched the press conference (online) with RO & JO. Did anyone else notice JO seemed a bit despondent? In that she closed her eyes for a length of time, then staring, shaking her head at one point... Etc. I cannot even imagine her feelings at this time. I'm really hopeful that she is possibly medicated (I know I would NEED to be!), and there's nothing more to it. RO was heartbreaking. JO could possibly be the "strong" one of the two (as each parenting set seems to have/need), realizing she absolutely MUST hold it together.
I'm praying that ALL are found safe, and SOON!!!!!

:welcome:

I've been a lurker... This being my 1st post EVER. (Please delete if I'm not following rules correctly)...
I just watched the press conference (online) with RO & JO. Did anyone else notice JO seemed a bit despondent? In that she closed her eyes for a length of time, then staring, shaking her head at one point... Etc. I cannot even imagine her feelings at this time. I'm really hopeful that she is possibly medicated (I know I would NEED to be!), and there's nothing more to it. RO was heartbreaking. JO could possibly be the "strong" one of the two (as each parenting set seems to have/need), realizing she absolutely MUST hold it together.

Welcome, Weeksauce007.

Brave first post. I had similar thoughts that I contemplated discussing on the board, but, such things can go south in a hurry.

A question that gets tossed around time and again at WS is often how a Mother/Father etc. is supposed to act at a presser etc. Debated ad nauseum, have seen it go both ways, sometimes a parent IS involved in the crime, more often than not, it seems, they are NOT.

Have to go with a liberal dose of slack on that one, and call it HEAVILY medicated, however, the contrast between the emotive father and the stoic mother was pretty obvious, I think.

The only thing I would REALLY be concerned about, is little Nathan seeing his Mom and her NOT appearing upset about him, and wondering why his father was crying on TV.

Welcome to the group.

:Welcome1:

Welcome to Ws. weeksauce007, thanks for the interesting post and moniker!

A bit more info here - looks like Nathan did a fair amount of interaction with the customers of the Estate Sale.

Jennifer was at the estate sale on Sunday with Nathan and his baby brother, and she said Nathan reminded his grandparents to say thank you and greet people.

“I guarantee you if Nathan’s out there, he’s talking to everybody,” Jennifer said.

Jennifer O’Brien left the residence with her youngest child around 10 p.m. Sunday, leaving Nathan to have a sleepover with his grandparents.

When she returned Monday at 10 a.m. to pick up Nathan, the trio was gone.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...a+safe+return+grandparents/9994832/story.html

First post. I've been following this story. I suspect that some people showed up when the house seemed quiet. The daughter would know if someone was supposed to pick up something later.. so I believe they arrived, while the sale sign was still out there, took a chance.. and unfortunately, the grandfather let them in (i read somewhere that the grandmother was not dressed.. in her pyjamas). They wanted the money from the sales.. and there was some struggling, someone was hurt.. most likely the grandfather. I suspect that they took the family away.. somewhere where they could be left so they would not have time to call the cops... and drove away.. Something like that happened to a couple in a Québec region.. the couple was found tied and mouth taped.. in a barn. Also, it's possible that they wanted more from the couple.. Stopped at a bank nearby and drove off to leave them somewhere.. barn or abandoned place. I hope they are alive.

Regarding timing and suspects -

Police immediately contacted the Canadian Border Services Agency to pass on the information they had, Andrus said.

“They’ve shared it with the border crossings, with all the airports and with our partnering agencies in the U.S.,” he said.

Nathan’s missing grandparents are not considered suspects in an abduction, nor are his mother and father.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...a+safe+return+grandparents/9994832/story.html

First post. I've been following this story. I suspect that some people showed up when the house seemed quiet. The daughter would know if someone was supposed to pick up something later.. so I believe they arrived, while the sale sign was still out there, took a chance.. and unfortunately, the grandfather let them in (i read somewhere that the grandmother was not dressed.. in her pyjamas). They wanted the money from the sales.. and there was some struggling, someone was hurt.. most likely the grandfather. I suspect that they took the family away.. somewhere where they could be left so they would not have time to call the cops... and drove away.. Something like that happened to a couple in a Québec region.. the couple was found tied and mouth taped.. in a barn. Also, it's possible that they wanted more from the couple.. Stopped at a bank nearby and drove off to leave them somewhere.. barn or abandoned place. I hope they are alive.

:welcome: to ws. Good first post. I agree that they may have wanted to leave them somewhere else. I hope so anyway

BBM - I agree, BUT, there are alot of a freak methheads around that WOULD probably murder someone for a couple of grand.

My 3 Theories -

1. Robbery gone bad - took witnesses with them. Estate Sale motive. Thugs in deeper than they would like

2. Family member is depressed/snapped - accident after fight and took off or simply took off with the others

3. Abduction - Someone was watching Nathan or noticed him at the park or the sale. Tried to take him and got caught.

I don't think the bankruptcy/retribution or debt thing is motive for this crime.

The lights were on - I think - indicating the crime occurring during waking hours.

JMO

This happened at the grandparents home, so wouldn't it be more directly related to the grandparents rather than the child? Someone watching the property would have no reason to expect that the child would remain at the house when mom left. For some reason, after the sale was over and mom left, something went really wrong at the house.

I still don't understand why one of their Kijiji ads ( the one with the cupcake holder and the dog in the picture) is listed as being " in Canmore but can be viewed in Calgary during the estate sale". Does the daughter live in Canmore? Was she piggybacking some of her items for sale on her mothers ads? What is the Canmore connection?
Also Nathan was probably asleep when his mother left and is listed as being last seen in a striped t shirt and shorts because this was an unplanned sleepover and his mom hadn't brought pjs with her.

Welcome to all our new WS members .. sad that it is something like this case that brings us all together, but glad you've joined to contribute to the discussion.

:welcome:

Things that stood out from the presser: the no comment from mom on if there were many valuable things left in the house after the sale. I wonder what that means. When mom was describing how Nathan acted that day and how they didn't buy him clothes he would wear costumes she said "he left" and corrected herself. I'll try to go back and transcribe that part. It just seemed very odd. Jmo

Was any of the yard sale cash found at the home?

I still don't understand why one of their Kijiji ads ( the one with the cupcake holder and the dog in the picture) is listed as being " in Canmore but can be viewed in Calgary during the estate sale". Does the daughter live in Canmore? Was she piggybacking some of her items for sale on her mothers ads? What is the Canmore connection?
Also Nathan was probably asleep when his mother left and is listed as being last seen in a striped t shirt and shorts because this was an unplanned sleepover and his mom hadn't brought pjs with her.

I did notice that at least one of the Kijiji ad's, the cake spreader thingy, was uploaded using the Kijiji Mobile application, it says so in the ad. It was for 20 bucks. I remember thinking it seemed an odd thing to list in an Estate Sale. Could very well have been someone else like her daughter throwing it in the sale because she knew she would be there.

Welcome to Ws. Sandfan!
Your scenario would be a good outcome in this case, imo.

I can't seem to move past domestic dispute gone wrong..

IMO.. The evidence left behind is that of her mother.

If it was the couple's dispute, I think their vehicule would be missing. IMO. Then again, maybe we do not have that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member