Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stay-strong-urges-family-of-missing-nathan-o-brien-and-his-grandparents-1.2694198
After listening to this interview, at approx. the 9:10 minute mark, one thing I found a little strange was the fact JO responded 'no comment' to the reporter asking whether the sale was still going on when she left, and what was the last time she saw NO. Is there a possibility she knew that there was somebody coming by to pick stuff up? Not at all victim blaming, just trying to figure out why this question would have received a 'no comment' answer. IMO strange, none the less.

If you notice, after the reporter's question, first RO and then JO look off camera towards the Calgary Police Service Public Relations Officer. They have obviously been told by CPS not to talk about certain aspects of what happened in order that the investigation would not be hindered. The reporter's question seemed to have touched on one of those aspects, and so both Nathan's mom and dad checked to see the PRO's response before saying no comment. The PRO then responds to the reporters, saying "we'll get into those in a second".

Earlier in the interview, when asked if there were any valuables in the house that "an intruder may want to target", JO responded with no comment, and the PRO immediately said that if reporters were getting into investigative questions, she would ask a police officer to answer those questions. Reporters then turned back to asking questions about Nathan.

The PRO was, IMO, setting boundaries for which questions could be asked of the O'Brien/Liknes family members and which would have to be directed to CPS officers. I think that by keeping topic areas specific to either family or CPS, file investigators could keep tighter control over what was said to the public, keeping the information given to reporters consistent and making sure that certain aspects of the crime time-line and scene would only be known by the police and the perpetrator/s. As well, the CPS PRO may have been safeguarding the family's privacy, limiting the intrusiveness of reporters' questions.

JO and RO were, IMO, doing everything they possibly could to follow police instructions in order to bring their little boy home. It seems odd, but IMO, that is because of CPS restricting the areas about which they could speak not because they were hiding anything about their own actions. JO and RO were grief stricken, and frightened for their son, for AL and KL, but they wanted as many people as possible to recall what they saw the night of the sale/disappearance. The more they could connect with a viewing audience, the better chances could be that a tip would come in which would pay off. If the disappearance was, in fact, a kidnapping, they had to keep emphasizing the qualities about Nathan that made him a real person, in an attempt to make the kidnapper see Nathan as human and not as a thing.

JO and RO, and JL, were, I thought, very strong in representing their loved ones to the community and making a case for them to be returned, especially for Nathan to be returned.

The house my late husband's parents built in 1957 was a 3 level split and there are several on his street and in the area of Kingsland Calgary. There are also many split levels in Brentwood that I know for certain so I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

Well you are quite right Buttercup and here's something to bear that out: Cambrian Heights Real Estate - Justin Havre & Associates
www.justinhavre.com/cambrian-heigths-real-estate.php
Homes in Cambrian Heights are well connected to Calgary's main roadways, ... This Home Is A Four Level Split With 4000 Sq. Feet Of Living Space On A Quiet ... Built amid the rolling hills of the NW in the late 1950s, the quiet streets and large ...

great points. what if there were two at the door?

I always thought there might've been two as the earlier reports of DG seen several times in the area driving around reminded me of something someone does when they're waiting for someone and picking them up (instead of parking outside, some people drive around and are 'waiting') like the getaway car per se. BUT this theory was shot down because LE has clearly stated he is the only suspect, as well, we don't know the times of day his truck was actually seen in the area and probably wasn't within the crucial hours close to and after 10pm when a 'getaway' and his help might've been needed if it was two.

By 'CL', do you mean 'AL's' brother? If so, that could mean he had a key? Also, was he the brother who showed up at the house on the morning the people were discovered to be missing, because AL had failed to answer his phone?

Yes, as far I know, CL was the one who showed up in the morning and I was corrected, I don't *think* CL lived there (although I thought someone said he stayed there at one point but guess not), but his business/company address was listed at the Liknes address (please correct me if I got the info mixed up WS'ers). I'm not saying he's done anything wrong, it was an answer to someone else's question, not trying to say anything ill about the family.

I always thought there might've been two as the earlier reports of DG seen several times in the area driving around reminded me of something someone does when they're waiting for someone and picking them up (instead of parking outside, some people drive around and are 'waiting') like the getaway car per se. BUT this theory was shot down because LE has clearly stated he is the only suspect, as well, we don't know the times of day his truck was actually seen in the area and probably wasn't within the crucial hours close to and after 10pm when a 'getaway' and his help might've been needed if it was two.

that might explain why the fore-crime was sloppy (1st assailant) and the aft-crime meticulous (DG)

Not disputing any of your theory about driving and picking up...it's another good point that could be possible! :)

But...it's been discussed earlier ...I believe I'd originally posted this wayyy back a couple weeks ago ....(Thread #3?) LE has stated the times that the truck was picked up on cctv:

'Employing a high-end security system that includes closed-circuit television, one particularly tall home recorded video of the truck circling the neighbourhood a few times during those crucial hours between Jennifer O’Brien dropping off her son Nathan with his grandparents after their weekend estate sale, and her return the next morning.'
BBM^^

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...sappearances+Nathan+Brien/10001950/story.html

On that note...that does not necessarily mean he wasn't there earlier ...but LE may be keeping that to themselves and only making it known that it WAS there in those hours between 10-10... JMOO

Not disputing any of your theory about driving and picking up...it's another good point that could be possible! :)

But...it's been discussed earlier ...I believe I'd originally posted this wayyy back a couple weeks ago ....(Thread #3?) LE has stated the times that the truck was picked up on cctv:

'Employing a high-end security system that includes closed-circuit television, one particularly tall home recorded video of the truck circling the neighbourhood a few times during those crucial hours between Jennifer O’Brien dropping off her son Nathan with his grandparents after their weekend estate sale, and her return the next morning.'
BBM^^

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...sappearances+Nathan+Brien/10001950/story.html

On that note...that does not necessarily mean he wasn't there earlier ...but LE may be keeping that to themselves and only making it known that it WAS there in those hours between 10-10... JMOO

maybe two vehicles weren't needed, just one, but AL's truck would now have the second needed driver, if in fact it was driven.

BBM^^

Yes, LoriMcA IIRC you and I had some similar thoughts on what happened early on in the threads (you're right, I'm sure you posted first as I took awhile to sign up to Websleuths and was unsure about posting at all lol). I still sometimes think this would've needed two people to pull off, but some other WS'ers disagreed and LE stated one suspect (unless they're manipulating the info to get more info, but doubtful as if a second suspect was out there, the public would be at risk so they might have to disclose that) so I kinda tried to put the two assailants out of my mind.

maybe two vehicles weren't needed, just one, but AL's truck would now have a second driver

Part of me still thinks this is definitely possible, but since LE said lone suspect, but….. I still can't figure out how DG seemed to control everything to a degree (well not everything since the scene sounded horrific).

Part of me still thinks this is definitely possible, but since LE said lone suspect, but….. I still can't figure out how DG seemed to control everything to a degree (well not everything since the scene sounded horrific).

Like someone said,, how come nobody screamed? (rhetorical)
Because their assailant was always welcomed in the home?

It's hard to do now this far into the case, but - for a moment - remove DG from the picture, remove his farm, truck, everything and think it thru without him and patent disputes. How would you reassess the case?

If mods think I've overstepped please delete my post.

It's very disheartening that almost a month has passed and still no AL, KL and NO. Wish LE could make this SOB/ talk. This family must be hurting so badly and having their loved ones to lay to rest would give them a wee bit of closure. My condolences and heartfelt sympathy goes out to them. JMHO.

I believe he planned, monitored the victims and carried out a blitz attack. If all three victims were sleeping, it could be carried out quickly, without screaming and more importantly - the chance of anything going wrong. One blow is all it takes to subdue a victim and if they're sleeping... It's quick, violent and effective.

I have always contended that this horrific crime was simple in its motive, planning and execution. If it was more complex, LE would have released more information and taken longer for an arrest.

I believe he planned, monitored the victims and carried out a blitz attack. If all three victims were sleeping, it could be carried out quickly, without screaming and more importantly - the chance of anything going wrong. One blow is all it takes to subdue a victim and if they're sleeping... It's quick, violent and effective.

I have always contended that this horrific crime was simple in its motive, planning and execution. If it was more complex, LE would have released more information and taken longer for an arrest.

Also, if DG attacked them while in bed, then it would make it that much easier to roll the bodies in the sheets to dispose of (sorry) :(

Like someone said,, how come nobody screamed? (rhetorical)
Because their assailant was always welcomed in the home?

It's hard to do now this far into the case, but - for a moment - remove DG from the picture, remove his farm, truck, everything and think it thru without him and patent disputes. How would you reassess the case?

If mods think I've overstepped please delete my post.

With premeditated murder, it isn't uncommon to bludgeon to death sleeping victims. This would be a likely silent crime.

If DG was not on the radar, I would still consider this a crime perpetrated by someone known to the Linkes. Someone with a grudge or someone who lives in the neighbourhood. Removing the victims from their home would be unusal for a random killer.

Oops--sorry, I didn't refresh the page before I posted, and did not see the last two comments.

I can't shake that aspect either you mention at the end of your post - it seems like a silent crime. And how could it have been not heard at all? How could it have stayed controlled? If there was a violent incident involving one person wouldn't the other have screamed? If there was a violent incident involving two people, how could that have been done at the same time? I don't know how a murderer could possibly plan to harm one victim at a time if that's what was done to keep things 'quiet', it just seems too risky if it backfires. He had to plan for no one screaming or escaping and had to plan how to physically control two people at the same time.

BBM

All the perp needs to do is put the gun to the head of one of the family. Then ask them to call for the others, or just wait for them to come looking. Then tie them up one by one.

The house my late husband's parents built in 1957 was a 3 level split and there are several on his street and in the area of Kingsland Calgary. There are also many split levels in Brentwood that I know for certain so I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

Okay, I am eating my shoes...:) Maybe I don't know this for sure about 1950's split levels in Calgary.

In terms of the Likenes' home, I am positive the garage side of the home is an add on. The 'old' part of the home, if it's a split, would have a different roof line...it would be higher in the back.
Or it would be turned sideways. I am sure the home started out as a bungalow, otherwise the entire roof would have had to be re-built to suit the roof line of the new addition. Again, I don't think it matters to the family what we think the house is, just saying...the home has had some very major renovations.

The home has had a major remodel.

I agree, I didn't read too much into it. Maybe that is because my family is the same way, we just drive by of someone hasn't answered (if we are close by). More often than not we find people are just outside and missed the phone.

It was not that he drove by that i was meaning. He drove by 2 hours after JO arrived there and still did not know his brother was missing and possibly hurt.

I was just creeping on facebook, looking for clues and noticed that little Luke has changed his profile picture and cover picture to pictures of Nathan. My heart is aching for him and I am trying not to cry at work. May god bless this family!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarrickuk