Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it is not unreasonable. However, if it were my child, mom and stepdad all missing with their vehicles there and blood in the house, i would be calling most family after the police to see if they heard from them or seen them, just in case they were called or took them to the hospital etc. I would be in panic and shock, calling my moms siblings, my stepfathers siblings to see if anyone knew anything. And if not doing it myself would be getting family to spread it around to others asap. JMO

When JO phoned LE she probably told them about blood and LE assuming it was a crime scene most likely told her to get out of the house (she could be in danger) and not to let anyone in in order to preserve the integrity of the crime scene. She may have been calling family. There are pictures of family in the driveway.

Did anyone check the crime map in Airdrie to see if the 3rd murder was posted there? That is so strange that they only have 2 marked for AL's residence.

I wonder if the drag marks are not actually from someone being dragged,but by an injured person crawling,trying to get away.The garage keypad appeared to have been sprayed for blood .Could the injured person have been trying to get into the garage , and then succumbed to their injury?

Permafrost???? There is no permafrost in Calgary, or Edmonton or other areas until you are farther north. Does the ground freeze in winter? Yes, because it's cold enough to do so in certain months, but it's not frozen all year round which is what permafrost is. The only place you'd have pockets of permanently frozen ground/rock this far south would be in the high altitudes of the mountains (same as in the US).

A quick google search will provide a map where permafrost exists.

In Canada (as well as areas in the US) homes have basements but it has nothing to do with permafrost. Houses have basements so that the furnace, hot water heater, electrical panel, water and sewer service, etc. are not in the main living space. Some of those items are noisy - who would want that on the same level as their living space? Having a basements also keeps the floor warmer in the cold months. If you don't have a basement (like a typical mobile home) you'd likely be insulating and heating the floor as well as all the water pipes coming into and out of the house. With a basement you wouldn't have critters taking up residence under the home as well.

This took a while to find, but here it is:

"The building code requires a foundation wall extend at least 1.2 m [4ft] below ground."

page 10,11: http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/brochures/secondary_suites_abc_requirements.pdf

This requirement has nothing to do with the unpleasant sound of a furnace or wildlife.

Did anyone check the crime map in Airdrie to see if the 3rd murder was posted there? That is so strange that they only have 2 marked for AL's residence.

I did. There were no murders for Airdrie when I scanned to that area on the map. However, Airdrie was not listed in the searchable neighbourhoods either. So it is possible Airdrie crimes are listed elsewhere.

This is strange too. On the crime map, right in the area of AL's place according to where they marked the homicides, there are 3 residential break-ins. All in early morning. 1st) June 17 - 7:00 am.
2nd) June 24 - 6:40 am 3) June 29 - 8:20 am. And this happens between 10 pm - 10 am.

Hmmmm......

Somewhere in one of these threads someone mentioned a link to a Calgary news site about a charming man who chatted up with residents and then robbed them or came back to the home later that night? Geez I am trying to find it...he said something about his aunt or mother used to live in the area....

I wonder if that was DG.

View attachment 55795

Otto, comparing the 1955 map to google maps, and the street at the top centre as a reference do you think the house appears more to the left, not on the edge of the map, as indicated by the red circles?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0187123,-114.0658022,590m/data=!3m1!1e3

Quite right! The property can be seen in the 1955 map. It appears that a addition was put on the back of the house (behind the attached garage), and a second garage was added to the back of the property some time after the original construction. The deck was also added later.

http://contentdm.ucalgary.ca/cdm4/i...&REC=1&DMROTATE=0&x=940.9099731445312&y=64.25

This is the general airphoto map. Click on any of the red markers, and then click on the map in the marker.

http://airphotos.ucalgary.ca/map.php?m=82_O_12_1956.kml

Attachments

• Calgary 1955 aerial - lg - Copy.jpg
    Calgary 1955 aerial - lg - Copy.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 123
Somewhere in one of these threads someone mentioned a link to a Calgary news site about a charming man who chatted up with residents and then robbed them or came back to the home later that night? Geez I am trying to find it...he said something about his aunt or mother used to live in the area....

I wonder if that was DG.

Funny how the break ins stopped after the murder. Maybe DG was practicing getting in a locked house?

Something I don't understand is that if there are only 2 murders listed for this address, why are there no kidnapping charges? I have thought, all along, all three were killed in the home. I am also very skeptical that there are bodies left to find. I think DG tried to get rid of all evidence linking him to AL (business wise) by burning hard drives, papers, etc. including the bodies. I think he thought everything would burn, as in cremation, and kept trying, all day, using a variety of solvents. Thus the neighbos comment about him burning all day.

I drove past Airdrie yesterday and watched for what was near the East Lake ramp. As far as I could tell to the east of the street in question there is mostly an industrial section. The 'abandoned' building looks ready for the new business to move into, new signage, new payment (rollers still sitting there). According to the picture The police cars were just past this building so I don't think it was included. While we didn't drive down the actual blocked off street ( hubby in hurry to get home) I could see new construction of what looked like a new hotel just a ways past where the road block was. I am going back to Calgary on Friday and could look more closely if anyone is interested.

Something I don't understand is that if there are only 2 murders listed for this address, why are there no kidnapping charges? I have thought, all along, all three were killed in the home. I am also very skeptical that there are bodies left to find. I think DG tried to get rid of all evidence linking him to AL (business wise) by burning hard drives, papers, etc. including the bodies. I think he thought everything would burn, as in cremation, and kept trying, all day, using a variety of solvents. Thus the neighbos comment about him burning all day.

There is a big piece of this case the public is not aware of for some reason. Whatever it is we won't know until the trial i think. IMO

This is strange too. On the crime map, right in the area of AL's place according to where they marked the homicides, there are 3 residential break-ins. All in early morning. 1st) June 17 - 7:00 am.
2nd) June 24 - 6:40 am 3) June 29 - 8:20 am. And this happens between 10 pm - 10 am.

Hmmmm......

Considering the amount of police presence in the area since the incident at the home on 38A street I'm not surprised that criminal activity would be down in the area. A criminal would have to be incredibly stupid in attempting to commit a crime with so many cops around.

Considering the amount of police presence in the area since the incident at the home on 38A street I'm not surprised that criminal activity would be down in the area. A criminal would have to be incredibly stupid in attempting to commit a crime with so many cops around.

Good point, especially with the case that was going on. They would by no means want to be caught in crime then become a suspect for the triple murder.

Aha! I found the post I referred to earlier. Here it is http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...algary-30-June-2014-7&p=10744774#post10744774

Sorry if this has already been posted. This item from their neighborhood newsletter in Spring 2008 is eerie:

Crime Watch! - Beware
Connie Ruben writes:
The reason for my writing this to all of you has little to do with our robbery, but what I have found out since. Several of our neighbours have reported a visitor by a man, clean cut and kind in nature, who stated he was looking for his long lost grandmother. He said that she lived in this area and that he was trying to find her.

This man comes across as such a kind soul that one of our neighbours actually let him into the house to use the bathroom.

We believe this is the man who broke into our home. The police also feel that this man rings door bells during the light of day to assess if anyone is home. Once he realizes there is no one home, the robbery is either committed then, or maybe the next day when does the same routine.

In our case, we were gone for several days, but the break in could have happened if it were just a regular work day. This man is a pro and according to the police has been doing this for quite some time.

In one case a lady was hurt as she came home while the robbery was going on. In our case, a large butcher knife was on the counter, which the police believe the robber was using in case we came home. (BBM)

Neighbours Beware. Be on the look out and be diligently cautious as you open your door. Please contact the police if this any person matching this description comes to your door.

pdf http://www.parkhillstanleypark.ca/_l...ewsletter_2008

Now six years later and here I am wondering if they ever caught this person...
I just noticed this was in 2008 but I do wonder if this person was caught.

I really hope LE has the right person. That sounds too creepy and ironic. I will feel terrible if they have DG and it was in fact someone else. IMO

The safeguard is, that LE and prosecutors have to prove DG's involvement beyond a doubt, convicing a judge or judge and jury. Exactly why we don't 'waterboard' or torture suspects in a civilized country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname