Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it is not unreasonable. However, if it were my child, mom and stepdad all missing with their vehicles there and blood in the house, i would be calling most family after the police to see if they heard from them or seen them, just in case they were called or took them to the hospital etc. I would be in panic and shock, calling my moms siblings, my stepfathers siblings to see if anyone knew anything. And if not doing it myself would be getting family to spread it around to others asap. JMO

I think I'm in line with both OutOfTheDarkness and goodasgold in their opinions.

I think I might have called 911 first, then my husband since my instinctive response would have been to first find my child. I don't know for sure. If the crime scene was as horrible as my imagination pictures it, then I would have been doing well just to type in 911 before going into shock. Probably I would have been checking closets and looking under beds in the hope that my little one would have been hiding. Next in line for phone calls would have been my brothers and sisters. Probably not even that far, since CPS would have arrived very quickly. By letting even one sibling know, I think that a brother or sister would have started the "telephone tree" of calls throughout the family.

We don't know for sure who JO called and in what order she called them. We don't know what JO was told by police. We don't know for sure what all JO saw when she got there. I don't know if CPS has released information about the DNA evidence that was found. Theoretically, if there was a struggle, DNA evidence could have been left behind by the perpetrator/s as well as the victims.

From what I've heard, twins have a unique level of communications which sometimes borders on the telepathic. AL's twin might have had many logical, and some intuitive, reasons for driving over when he did.

I think I'm in line with both OutOfTheDarkness and goodasgold in their opinions.

I think I might have called 911 first, then my husband since my instinctive response would have been to first find my child. I don't know for sure. If the crime scene was as horrible as my imagination pictures it, then I would have been doing well just to type in 911 before going into shock. Probably I would have been checking closets and looking under beds in the hope that my little one would have been hiding. Next in line for phone calls would have been my brothers and sisters. Probably not even that far, since CPS would have arrived very quickly. By letting even one sibling know, I think that a brother or sister would have started the "telephone tree" of calls throughout the family.

We don't know for sure who JO called and in what order she called them. We don't know what JO was told by police. We don't know for sure what all JO saw when she got there. I don't know if CPS has released information about the DNA evidence that was found. Theoretically, if there was a struggle, DNA evidence could have been left behind by the perpetrator/s as well as the victims.

From what I've heard, twins have a unique level of communications which sometimes borders on the telepathic. AL's twin might have had many logical, and some intuitive, reasons for driving over when he did.

Maybe police kept Nathan's mom on the phone until police arrived, and maybe they advised her keep the situation quiet until they had an understanding of what happened. Perhaps they asked her if there was someone she could call to offer support ... like her husband.

Alvin's identical twin brother lives in Mexico or Northern Alberta. It was another brother that drove to the house after being unable to reach Alvin by phone.

I was just thinking of LE taking AL's truck for testing. I wonder if on the camera they had pictures of it leaving and coming back. If it left and came back at the same time as the green truck then I think you would question whether there was a second person involved. Or also if it left and returned in between trips by the green truck, then maybe it transported the bodies and then the green truck left.

Here are some links for a proposed development close to the Garland property. At least one of the Garlands was aware of it and present at the meeting and noted in the articles. I think this location would be worth looking into. IMO.

http://www.airdriecityview.com/article/20140410/ACV0801/304109965/0/ACV

For the park’s Rocky View County neighbours, noise was a big concern and the reason many attended the open house. Doreen Garland’s first thought when she heard about the motorsports park was “Will it make a lot of noise?”
“I was concerned about noise and about the traffic along the road, so I came out to see,” she said, adding that she lives north of the proposed facility. “We live half a mile away. Who will monitor noise levels?”

http://www.rockyviewmotorsports.com/

Maybe police kept Nathan's mom on the phone until police arrived, and maybe they advised her keep the situation quiet until they had an understanding of what happened. Perhaps they asked her if there was someone she could call to offer support ... like her husband.

Alvin's identical twin brother lives in Mexico or Northern Alberta. It was another brother that drove to the house after being unable to reach Alvin by phone.
I was going to say that. I've had to call 911 on several occasions and they've always kept me on the phone until whoever needed to come got there.

Thanks Otto. Your suggestion that JO was kept talking until CPS got there is really sound, and probably right.
Thanks also for reminding me which brother arrived.

FWIW, in today's edition of the Rocky View Weekly, reporter Kristen Spruit voices the opinions many have about the case.

http://www.rockyviewweekly.com/arti...ing-reporter-hopes-support-for-liknes-o-brien

Given how easily people become distracted by the problems of everyday life, how public awareness and interest is fed by information, and how little information will be forthcoming until the case goes to trial, I share Ms. Spruit's concern when she talks about the support the community is giving the Liknes/O'Brien family.

All I can hope is that in the weeks, months and years moving forward this same level of support and interest shown to date doesn’t stop. And, that this tragedy doesn’t get pushed to the backburner as people continue on with their everyday lives, as difficult as that may be in such a busy world.

As well, a synopsis of the search is included in this edition as is a reminder of the CPS plan. The reader is reminded that even if the Airdrie acreage has been returned to DG's parensts, CPS and its partners continue their work.

CPS released a statement on July 17 that said they had a 30-day plan in place to guide them as they continue with the ongoing investigation into the case. They continue to search other locations.

http://www.rockyviewweekly.com/arti...d-murderer-s-case-held-over-search-called-off

FWIW, in today's edition of the Rocky View Weekly, reporter Kristen Spruit voices the opinions many have about the case.

http://www.rockyviewweekly.com/arti...ing-reporter-hopes-support-for-liknes-o-brien

Given how easily people become distracted by the problems of everyday life, how public awareness and interest is fed by information, and how little information will be forthcoming until the case goes to trial, I share Ms. Spruit's concern when she talks about the support the community is giving the Liknes/O'Brien family.

As well, a synopsis of the search is included in this edition as is a reminder of the CPS plan. The reader is reminded that even if the Airdrie acreage has been returned to DG's parensts, CPS and its partners continue their work.

http://www.rockyviewweekly.com/arti...d-murderer-s-case-held-over-search-called-off

The online web donations slowed down when the victims were declared dead, and the total is at $45k today.

I think that people were initially concerned that there was a lunatic targeting estate sales, and murdering the home occupants after the sale ended. Now we know that isn't true, so I think many people will return to their normal busy lives, leave it to police/prosecutors to develop their case, and for the family to heal with the help of friends and family.

It appears that police have arrested the correct man, and we know that this was most likely related to a conflict in the family (ie: man murders his sister's father in law, mother in law, and nephew). This was not a random murder. I kind of doubt that, as time goes forward, people will continue to donate $45,000, and I personally hope that no more balloons are put into the environment. I am confident that the Obrien neighbours will continue to provide community support such as providing meals, etc.

I think we have all been jarred out of our comfort zones and our tiny worlds by this horrible event. It takes something like this to show us just how good 'regular' people are, and how much kindness and compassion surrounds us, even when we don't personally know the people who are in our corner. With every disaster, eg. the southern Alberta flooding, all of the natural disasters as well as families devastated by crime, 'people' show their caring and support. The benefits of this outpouring of support doesn't go un-noticed by our children, who are at risk of believing the world is a dark, scary place. They see the flip side of the dark world of violence. Community support is the anti-dote to crimes of this kind that would otherwise cast a dark shadow over living in these troubled, confusing times for all of us.

This is just kind of out of nowhere. I don't recall hearing from LE that they had taken AL's truck for testing, is that written somewhere, or is it assumption based on the fact that it's no longer there? In any case, as I was reading the post quoted below, it made me wonder if perhaps JO had said something to LE about something that may have taken place at some point over the course of the sale day (Sunday, or even the day prior).. it is possible that AL wasn't in attendance for the entire days, and perhaps someone had come by to see him and they went out in his truck, or perhaps he went out to meet someone in his truck, it just made me wonder if LE was hoping to find some kind of evidence left behind in AL's truck from a stranger (stranger to JO, not to AL). (That is assuming the truck did not also have blood in it, but if it did, I would think LE would have taken it away much sooner?)

I was just thinking of LE taking AL's truck for testing. I wonder if on the camera they had pictures of it leaving and coming back. If it left and came back at the same time as the green truck then I think you would question whether there was a second person involved. Or also if it left and returned in between trips by the green truck, then maybe it transported the bodies and then the green truck left.

What if suspect used AL's truck to transport KL and/or dear child in the hopes of incriminating AL with these crimes? and then used his own truck to transport AL.

Here are some links for a proposed development close to the Garland property. At least one of the Garlands was aware of it and present at the meeting and noted in the articles. I think this location would be worth looking into. IMO.

http://www.airdriecityview.com/article/20140410/ACV0801/304109965/0/ACV

For the park’s Rocky View County neighbours, noise was a big concern and the reason many attended the open house. Doreen Garland’s first thought when she heard about the motorsports park was “Will it make a lot of noise?”
“I was concerned about noise and about the traffic along the road, so I came out to see,” she said, adding that she lives north of the proposed facility. “We live half a mile away. Who will monitor noise levels?”

http://www.rockyviewmotorsports.com/

I don't think there is any more possibility of anything being found on the property you note than any other farmer field around there, and it is all farmer fields or acreages. Is there something I'm missing?

This is just kind of out of nowhere. I don't recall hearing from LE that they had taken AL's truck for testing, is that written somewhere, or is it assumption based on the fact that it's no longer there? In any case, as I was reading the post quoted below, it made me wonder if perhaps JO had said something to LE about something that may have taken place at some point over the course of the sale day (Sunday, or even the day prior).. it is possible that AL wasn't in attendance for the entire days, and perhaps someone had come by to see him and they went out in his truck, or perhaps he went out to meet someone in his truck, it just made me wonder if LE was hoping to find some kind of evidence left behind in AL's truck from a stranger (stranger to JO, not to AL). (That is assuming the truck did not also have blood in it, but if it did, I would think LE would have taken it away much sooner?)

There was a picture of AL's truck being hauled off by LE. I try to find it.

I think we have all been jarred out of our comfort zones and our tiny worlds by this horrible event. It takes something like this to show us just how good 'regular' people are, and how much kindness and compassion surrounds us, even when we don't personally know the people who are in our corner. With every disaster, eg. the southern Alberta flooding, all of the natural disasters as well as families devastated by crime, 'people' show their caring and support. The benefits of this outpouring of support doesn't go un-noticed by our children, who are at risk of believing the world is a dark, scary place. They see the flip side of the dark world of violence. Community support is the anti-dote to crimes of this kind that would otherwise cast a dark shadow over living in these troubled, confusing times for all of us.

Regarding children's awareness of these murders, I sincerely hope that parents have shielded their children from the circumstances surrounding the murders. Imagine being a young child and knowing that something as common as having a sleepover with grandparents could result in murder ... as it did with Nathan. I hope that children have not been told about this.

What if suspect used AL's truck to transport KL and/or dear child in the hopes of incriminating AL with these crimes? and then used his own truck to transport AL.

The problem I see with someone murdering one or three people, leaving his vehicle at the scene, and taking the victim's vehicle, is that the murderer has no idea when the crime will be discovered, so it would be extremely risky to do that. I think he most likely used only his own vehicle.

Regarding children's awareness of these murders, I sincerely hope that parents have shielded their children from the circumstances surrounding the murders. Imagine being a young child and knowing that something as common as having a sleepover with grandparents could result in murder ... as it did with Nathan. I hope that children have not been told about this.
I always answer my children's questions truthfully without offering additional information unless they ask. That isn't the end of it though ... we always put the information in context and really talk about it. Do my kids know about this? My son knows more than my daughter because he asks questions about everything and is much more perceptive about these kinds of things. I try to reinforce the likelihood of these things happening is very small. They have more chance of getting hit by a car or even lightening than anything even remotely like this happening. I suppose if the kids hadn't lost their dad last year and been with me when we found my mother-in-law they might be a bit more innocent about the world so maybe wouldn't ask as many questions about things they hear? I always think of NO's brother and how much his perception of the world changed in that moment and it breaks my heart.

Way, way back there was info stating or showing AL's truck was taken away by LE. Cannot find that info now sorry, it has come up many times though. I wonder if LE took seized it believing it may have been involved. Wonder if AL had GPS on his truck. One would think if his truck was involved and had GPS, LE would have recovered the victims by now. JMHO.

I agree, I personally think people share too much with little kids, thinking they need to explain. I'm in the camp that protects the innocence of children from the scary world of violence and death, and sexual depravity. I have never understood parents taking children to wakes and funerals or talking 'grown up talk' around them.

Older children and teens are very drawn in by this kind of thing, and very impressionable... hopefully their adults will use some discretion and wisdom in how it is discussed.

I don't think there is any more possibility of anything being found on the property you note than any other farmer field around there, and it is all farmer fields or acreages. Is there something I'm missing?

The reason I find it interesting is that it is a recent news article and the property discussed is a half-mile away from the Garland home. Most likely, the property referred in the article was a topic of conversation at some point with the Garland family as it was clear they were concerned about the development. Out of all the fields and farms that LE has searched this would also fit the criteria and I also feel it stands out because the Garlands have recently talked about it, possibly DG visited the site prior to the public meeting, maybe he kept it in mind as a possibility to hide something. It is my attempt at "no stone left un-turned".

There was a picture of AL's truck being hauled off by LE. I try to find it.

That is interesting. I wonder if maybe they used AL's truck during the estate sale for delivering furniture to a buyer. They could have taken it for finger prints and tire tread recording as a precautionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member