Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I find it interesting is that it is a recent news article and the property discussed is a half-mile away from the Garland home. Most likely, the property referred in the article was a topic of conversation at some point with the Garland family as it was clear they were concerned about the development. Out of all the fields and farms that LE has searched this would also fit the criteria and I also feel it stands out because the Garlands have recently talked about it, possibly DG visited the site prior to the public meeting, maybe he kept it in mind as a possibility to hide something. It is my attempt at "no stone left un-turned".

This property if developed would be sculpted and excavated much like the building of a golf course. I'm thinking it would be a bad spot to hide bodies/remains as they would be likely to to discovered in the near future.

This property if developed would be sculpted and excavated much like the building of a golf course. I'm thinking it would be a bad spot to hide bodies/remains as they would be likely to to discovered in the near future.

I guess I am looking at it as a large piece of property that is not currently in use so for now it could be a dumping ground.

Can anyone say if anything new will be revealed at the disclosure proceeding in August, or is it only shared with the defense? JO made comments that would indicate that she hasn't accepted the death of the three... I imagine it would be pure torture for her to not have any further closure till the trial, and LE must have something that could give her that.... :(

Can anyone say if anything new will be revealed at the disclosure proceeding in August, or is it only shared with the defense? JO made comments that would indicate that she hasn't accepted the death of the three... I imagine it would be pure torture for her to not have any further closure till the trial, and LE must have something that could give her that.... :(

I am not exactly sure but the proceeding on the 14th may only be to set a date for trial/plea. I work in a law office in Ontario but my firm has never had a file with charges of this magnitude. Maybe someone else has some idea.

It's hard to say but defense council *may* ask for bail at this time.

I am not exactly sure but the proceeding on the 14th may only be to set a date for trial/plea. I work in a law office in Ontario but my firm has never had a file with charges of this magnitude. Maybe someone else has some idea.
The date coincides with the end of discovery so my *guess* would be that defense will enter a plea, ask for bail and a date for trial will be set. At this time, additional charges may or may not be laid.

I always answer my children's questions truthfully without offering additional information unless they ask. That isn't the end of it though ... we always put the information in context and really talk about it. Do my kids know about this? My son knows more than my daughter because he asks questions about everything and is much more perceptive about these kinds of things. I try to reinforce the likelihood of these things happening is very small. They have more chance of getting hit by a car or even lightening than anything even remotely like this happening. I suppose if the kids hadn't lost their dad last year and been with me when we found my mother-in-law they might be a bit more innocent about the world so maybe wouldn't ask as many questions about things they hear? I always think of NO's brother and how much his perception of the world changed in that moment and it breaks my heart.

Buttercup, I'm so sorry for your losses and for the losses that your children have suffered. Thank you for sharing your philosophy with on this thread. It is one that resonates with the me and I think will profoundly shape the way your children will live their lives in a positive way.

The date coincides with the end of discovery so my *guess* would be that defense will enter a plea, ask for bail and a date for trial will be set. At this time, additional charges may or may not be laid.

Would this also be a time that the defence might ask for more time to prepare or to ask for more documentation?

Interesting article in today's Calgary Sun....

A member of the notorious Red Scorpions gang — based in B.C.’s Lower Mainland — and three associate members have been arrested in Alberta following a coordinated series of search warrants in Red Deer, Airdrie and Calgary.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/28/red-scorpions-gang-member-arrested-in-red-deer-alert

Was just going to post that, Momma. Thinking of DG's lab that got busted and wondering what connections he made while living in BC. Stealing a semi isn't something your Average Joe chemist does, so wondering if that particular theft was for the benefit of a larger organization or simply DG has a strange penchant for semi-trailers. I'd like to find out whether he served his time in AB or BC and what pals he may have made in prison.

That is interesting. I wonder if maybe they used AL's truck during the estate sale for delivering furniture to a buyer. They could have taken it for finger prints and tire tread recording as a precautionary.

Maybe his truck was used during the weekend to remove the furniture from his former business.

Just to clarify... I never said it was the first time I heard of *knocking people out* - I said it wouldn't make sense with the blood evidence.

You misunderstand me. I was prefacing what I posted, saying you may never have heard of that means of knocking someone out..... I don't know if it has been done elsewhere in the world but in South Africa it's commonplace and very effective. Just an example of one of the ways in which mankind overcomes others to do his dastardly deeds.

I live in Calgary and today I drove past the Liknes house to get a feel for the neighborhood and how it could be that no one heard or saw anything.

One thing that really struck me is how compact that area is. It's definitely a quiet street, despite being so close to Macleod Trail (main thoroughfare in Calgary).

What really struck me is how close and tight together those homes are. Also, the L's street is one of the main streets you would take to get to Macleod.

I still can't figure out how no one saw anything!!!!!

Buttercup, I'm so sorry for your losses and for the losses that your children have suffered. Thank you for sharing your philosophy with on this thread. It is one that resonates with the me and I think will profoundly shape the way your children will live their lives in a positive way.

I have thought about this a lot since the beginning of July, when we were first made aware of the disappearance of the family. If we are very lucky, we can go through our whole lives with blinders on, thinking it is a bright, shiny world and we are safe from the ugly side of life.
I have always been drawn to crime fiction, but after following along here with the harsh realities we have discussed, I doubt that I will read another Kathy Reichs or Pat Cornwell novel. Bless you, Buttercup and family. It sounds like you have come a long way in healing after what you have been through.

I believe he planned, monitored the victims and carried out a blitz attack. If all three victims were sleeping, it could be carried out quickly, without screaming and more importantly - the chance of anything going wrong. One blow is all it takes to subdue a victim and if they're sleeping... It's quick, violent and effective.

I have always contended that this horrific crime was simple in its motive, planning and execution. If it was more complex, LE would have released more information and taken longer for an arrest.

I think it happened like you say or with a gun for control IMOO because it seems the most plausible because no screams were heard and those methods seem to be the only way 1 person might out power 2 (I say 2 because little NO in no way would be able to defend himself or the other 2) without noise or a struggle (since we don't think a struggle happened in the home). I don't see a knife being used and would be surprised if one was because people survive knife wounds, struggles would definitely ensue by the time the first wound was inflicted to any of the 3 (unless they were bound/subdued which I doubt) and things could too easily spiral out of control, not to mention DG had no 'apparent' wounds. But maybe things did spiral out of control in the house, we don't know. All I know is I hope they didn't even know what happened to them, if they were asleep I would hope it would've included less suffering and none of them had to witness what happened to each other, so sad and heartbreaking.

BBM

All the perp needs to do is put the gun to the head of one of the family. Then ask them to call for the others, or just wait for them to come looking. Then tie them up one by one.

True, with a gun or knife being held to one of them that's a definite way to control a situation, risky, but possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?