GUILTY OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *Christopher Charles Lovrien sentenced*

Just now I was finally able to talk to someone directly at Portland PD. There isn't any new information they can release at this time because Mark's case is still an open investigation, however, his case will be up for review with a fresh set of eyes in the near future- by the next few months- was supposed to be last month- but got delayed by more pressing events. Right now Mark's case is being handled by the Missing Person's Unit, which is part of Homicide and is on the same floor as the Cold Case Unit. They work together. Some of the previous contacts have retired and are now only there as volunteers. The detective I talked to has been involved in this case for 11 years.
The best people to contact if you have new tips are:
Sgt. Margaret Bahnson (503)823-0848
or Det. Mike Weinstein (503) 823-0446
These are direct #s
The general number for Portland PD is # (503) 823-3333.
Facebook page for Mark (graciously started Migmuu): https://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-Find-Mark-Dribin/551955888215336
I'm now down as a contact with them if they have any questions/info., so I guess I'm now the official liason between us and Mark's family.:blushing:

That wasn't disclosed, but I presume they did find something. I do think the perp dumped the car, since it wasn't found at Mark's house, it was a ways away.
This is where the SUV was found- near Southeast 43rd Avenue and Division Street
Mark’s address: 3629 NE 137th Avenue, Portland, OR

I was finally able to listen to the radio show today.

Thank you for being an advocate for Mark, LinasK!

I don't have much to add but will continue to send positive energy your and the Dribin family's way.

Surely one of Mark's friends or acquaintances knew who Mark may have been dating?

Have any of Mark's friends, coworkers, neighbors, etc. come forward for info or asking the community to find their friend?

LinasK, I'm glad you were finally able to get on the radio show and you did a terrific job. I know that wasn't easy. I'm glad you are putting together that facebook page.

I'd like to suggest you give that facebook page information and the thread on Websleuths to Mark's parents, it might give them some comfort knowing that Mark has not been forgotten and that people are working to bring their son's killer to justice.

Good luck!

I just went back through most of the thread, and have some very strong impressions. A lot of random thoughts, but maybe it will reinforce some previously discussed theories.

First, I think about the year, the location, and the fact your cousin was gay. While a progressive city, I don't know that Portland was considered gay friendly in 1999, as say, San Francisco. Probably not. I would hate to speculate that LE didn't give this case the same priority they would a hetero, but I cant help but wonder about that.

The bar Mark frequented was portrayed as a leather bar, suggesting patrons might partake in activities, that if taken to the extreme, could be injurious. This would have been my first notion, if we didn't know mark had called in to work stating he had a personal emergency to attend to. The use of word "emergency" is particularly important. If he had a quarrel he needed to attend to I suspect he would have called in sick vs. stating he had an "emergency". It's apparent it was indeed, something dire.

So what could that have been? I suspect it was a love triangle. He got involved with someone who had a jealous partner and paid the ultimate price.

I very strongly believe some of the patrons of that bar know what happened, and who did it. According to my research the bar has relocated. However, some of the "old timers" are still posting memories of the old location and associated activities.
Track them down.
Find the owner at that time, the manager, regulars, etc. Lot's of good info to be obtained, I'm sure. They know....
MY OPINION ONLY

Was Mark's case reviewed by a fresh set of eyes? I'm hoping so since it's nearly April.
I agree with rosesfromangels, someone at that bar knows something and they probably don't even realize those details are important in determining what happened to Mark. If he was meeting someone at the bar, was he stood up? Surely he would have told someone. Or, was he meeting someone at home, after the bar? Maybe Mark was anxious about the impending conversation, went for a drink or two to calm his nerves, and chatted about his visitor with a bar patron? Bars are social places, I hope the police found everyone at the bar that night and asked them about Mark.

http://koin.com/2014/07/02/united-airlines-employee-presumed-dead/

An employee for United Airlines called his boss on July 2, 1999 and requested the night off for a “personal emergency.” The man has never been seen or heard from since, according to police.

The disappearance of Mark Jeffrey Dribin remains a top priority for members of the Portland Police Bureau Cold Case Homicide Unit...

Detectives have not said what was found at his home in Northeast Portland, but said based on the physical evidence they believe Dribin is dead.

Maybe you should contact the producers of the new show "Cold Justice". Those people are awesome at solving cold cases.

Maybe you should contact the producers of the new show "Cold Justice". Those people are awesome at solving cold cases.

I'm not familiar with it, what channel is it on?

I'm not familiar with it, what channel is it on?

It's on TNT on Friday nights. It's a great show! There's more info here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ce-quot-Prosecutor-Kelly-Siegler-Has-New-Show

Unfortunately, only law enforcement can submit suggestions for new cases to them:

IF YOU ARE A CIVILIAN, PLEASE NOTE: We can only review your case if asked by the local enforcement agency. Please call the law enforcement agency handling your case and ask the agency to submit the case below.

http://www.tntdrama.com/series/cold-justice/tips/

It's on TNT on Friday nights. It's a great show! There's more info here:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ce-quot-Prosecutor-Kelly-Siegler-Has-New-Show

Unfortunately, only law enforcement can submit suggestions for new cases to them:

http://www.tntdrama.com/series/cold-justice/tips/

If the local Law Enforcement isn't getting anywhere on this case, what is it going to hurt to ask them to contact Cold Justice? LinasK and family need answers and maybe the show could help!

Been trying to read this thread for a long time. Finally was able to. I have a few thoughts that I am surprised no one brought up.

Post #106 by Kemo has info on the bar.

We know nothing about this case. What we do not know is what Mark's friends told the Police. Obviously Mark had a circle of friends. He may have had a "lover", one or more "ex-lovers" and others who would know something about his life, his associates and whatever he had going on. If the results of the interviews with his friends is withheld from his family and the media, then there is absolutely nothing to even speculate about.

For whatever it is worth, the Eagle Bar was a "Leather Bar" at that time. Within the Gay Community, the Leather scene is a somewhat edgy S&M type subculture that a friend of mine described as: "99% play acting with just enough real danger to keep everyone interested".

While it is possible that he just had a "bad date", the fact that he took a day off for "personel reasons" and his body disappeared suggests that he knew his killer; in fact his killer was probably amonst his know circle of friends.

As for the Eagle Bar being a "Leather Bar"; was it the only gay bar around?

Think back to 1999. The net was just starting to get popular. I swore I'd never have a computer but got one. I met a gal at a rose forum who lived in CA; she had a son that had passed away from AIDS. Does anyone remember AIDS back then? Secrecy; panic; terror... I do wonder if they still have samples of Mark's blood from then & if it was tested. I am not saying Mark had AIDS; just saying that it's possible it's part of what originally happened. What if the lover tested positive?

He was possibly last seen at the bar on the 3rd. What if it was actually the 2nd or very early morning such as 12:30am on the 3rd; so it would be the same time frame of Mark calling out of work... Any idea what time he worked? He calls out; meets the person at the bar. They eventually go back to Mark's to talk but it turns bad.

Curious who the friend was that reported him missing or was it his work that called to say he never came in?

*Edit - where is Mark's SUV? Do LE still have it?

Map - *Note Portland airport is above B & C
A - Eagle Tavern
B - Mark's house
C - Mark's car

A member here, who was kind enough to recently start looking into Mark's case directed me to an article which had some specific information I had missed. Mark lived at N.E. 137th Ave in Portland. His SUV was a Black, 2-door 1995 Ford Explorer Sport with Oregon license plates: SL-14414 was found at S.E. 43rd Ave & Division, an area he didn't frequent. Also there is some discrepancy as to when he was last seen. His neighbors last saw him on 7/2 at 2:00 according to the Doe Network, but according to this article, he was last seen on 7/3 at the Eagle Tavern on S.W. 13th Ave. & Burnside St.
Also,in his apartment, there was a massive cleanup of blood spatter all over the walls. This was new to me.

One last thing, before I give the article link, since his father and brother's names are listed in the article, I can now feel comfortable divulging their names. His father's name is Ken (I know him by Kenny), and his brother's name is Terry. Thanks for everyone that's given this case their time and attention. Let's hope it leads to Mark's remains and getting justice by getting his killer.

http://www.kptv.com/story/15952823/cold-case-detectives-re-examine-portland-mans-disappearance

Is anyone running the Help Find Mark Dribin FB page?

Wondering why no DNA??? Couldn't they have obtained that from the blood spatters on the wall? Also, both his parents and his brother are alive, can't they match it from them???:waitasec:

Can you ask his dad & brother if they will give DNA? I know his case worker; can set it up for you
NamUs

I want to upload his flier to the FB page I have with a friend Never Forget Me; so want to get the info together...

Mark Jeffrey Dribin Missing since July 2, 1999 from Portland, Oregon Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 13, 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 42 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 160 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Bald; hazel eyes. Mustache and goatee.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Neighbors last saw Mark at his residence at approximately 14:00. His vehicle is also missing and described as a black, two door 1995 Ford Explorer Sport with OR license number SL-14414.
He was reported missing July 6 when he did not show up to his job as a United Airlines cargo worker.
Police checked his home in the 3600 block of Northeast 137th Avenue and found a substantial amount of forensic evidence to suggest he was killed.
His car was reported stolen and recovered several weeks later in Southeast Portland. Police suspect the killing resulted from a relationship gone bad. Dribin's body has not been found.

Portland Police Bureau - Cold Case Homicide Unit
Cold Case detective: Sgt Bahnson Phone number: (503) 823 3333
cold case contact at Portland police: Larry Findling , a retired detective
larry.findling@portlandoregon.gov
Crime Stoppers: 1-503-823-HELP (4357)
Case #: 99-1387

NamUs
Doe Network Case File 3847DMOR
Help Find Mark Dribin FB page
Charley Project
Details of Disappearance - Dribin resided alone in a house in the 3000 block of northeast 137th Avenue in Portland, Oregon in 1999. He was last seen at the Eagle Tavern on southwest 13th Avenue and Burnside Street on July 3, 1999. Dribin has never been heard from again. His vehicle was discovered abandoned several days later near southeast 43rd Avenue and Division Street in Portland. There was no sign of him at the scene.

Authorities believe that Dribin was murdered inside his home between July 2 and July 6, 1999; they found "substantial forensic evidence" indicating a homicide had taken place there. There were blood spatters all over the walls and indications that someone had tried to clean up. Investigators theorize that Dribin's car was stolen from his house and parked on the street where it was located. Dribin's body has never been recovered and there have been no arrests in his case, which remains unsolved.

Dribin was employed by United Airlines at the time of his disappearance.

Tricia's True Crime Radio Special Edition Mark Dribin "By all accounts, Mark Dribin was a loving son, a hard worker, a friendly neighbor. Over the Fourth of July weekend 1999, he vanished -- never heard from again"

Here's a review of the bar where he was last seen:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/eagle-bar-portland

The bar closed at that location and moved elsewhere. Here is the website for the new bar:

http://www.eagleportland.com/about.htm
Archived weather info for the day Mark went missing:
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/CLIMATEDATA.html

Portland OR Police Unsolved Cold Cases - MARK DRIBIN - In 1999, Mark Jeffrey Dribin worked for United Airlines at PDX. On July 2, 1999, Mr. Dribin called his employer and requested the night off, as he had a ”personal emergency.” Mr Dribin has not been seen or heard from since.

Mr. Dribin, a 42-year-old white male, 5’6”, 160 lbs with a shaved head, was a very responsible worker and not known to miss shifts or to disappear for any period of time. He was close to his parents and brother and has not contacted them since 1999. His family and friends do not believe that he simply left town.

Press Release - FAMILY OFFERS REWARD IN UNSOLVED HOMICIDE November 20, 2001
On Tuesday, November 20, 2001, Assistant Chief Andrew Kirkland, Detectives from the Portland Police Bureau Homicide Division, and the family of Mark Jeffery Dribin will hold a news conference to announce a substantial reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspect(s) responsible for what appears to be the death of Mark Dribin.

Dribin disappeared on July 2, 1999. His body has not been recovered. Dribin lived at 3629 NE 137th Avenue in Portland, Oregon.

The news conference will take place at 11:30 a.m. in the 14th floor conference room of the Justice Center located at 1111 SW 2nd Avenue in Portland, Oregon . Mark Dribin’s father, Ken Dribin and his brother, Terry Dribin will make a statement.

In addition to the reward offered by the Dribin family, the Carole Sund Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation is offering an additional reward in this investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call the investigators listed above.

News Articles
Cold case detectives re-examine Portland man's disappearance Posted: Nov 03, 2011 2:03 PM EDT Updated: Nov 16, 2011 11:05 AM EST By Nicole Doll
The 42-year-old north Portland man worked air freight for United Airlines at Portland International Airport. Police said Dribin called July 2 and told his supervisor he needed the night off for a "personal emergency."

"A friend actually reported him missing on the 6th, which would have been Tuesday," Stahlman said. "And then Port of Portland police actually went to his house that day to check because he hadn't shown up for work. And the evidence starts becoming apparent. There was a substantial amount of evidence in the house."

Crime scene photos showed biological evidence in Dribin's house on Northeast 137th Avenue. All over the walls was evidence of blood spatter that investigators said appeared someone had cleaned up.

Dribin's SUV was also missing from the garage. It was found two weeks later near Southeast 43rd Avenue and Division Street, an area investigators said Dribin didn't frequent.
Mark Dribin was last seen Saturday, July 3, 1999, at what was then The Eagle Tavern, a bar on Southwest 13th Avenue and Burnside Street.

But after that, investigators said the trail went cold. Mark Dribin's body has never been recovered

Cold Case: United Airlines employee presumed dead - Man disappeared under suspicious circumstances in 1999
By Brent Weisberg (Twitter: @BrentKOIN) Published: July 2, 2014, 8:49 am Updated: July 2, 2014, 9:16 am
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN 6) — An employee for United Airlines called his boss on July 2, 1999 and requested the night off for a “personal emergency.” The man has never been seen or heard from since, according to police.

When Dribin called his employer 15 years ago, he was scheduled to work the night shift at Portland International Airport, police said.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 503.823.HELP.

Can you ask his dad & brother if they will give DNA? I know his case worker; can set it up for you
NamUs
I've since found out that they do have the family's DNA on file. Mark's mother is still alive too.

Can you find out who is holding it so that I can have it added to NamUs?

Roselvr, I do appreciate your renewed interest in this case (and everyone who has posted/read about Mark), but the last time I spoke with Kenny was about 3 months ago. They are in their 80's now, in poor health, and it seems to have become a painfully sore topic to bring up with them, so I don't know of any easy way to get this info. As far as his Facebook page, I wish that I had some new pictures or something to post to bring it to life, but I don't. Mark was my 2nd cousin.

I want to upload his flier to the FB page I have with a friend Never Forget Me; so want to get the info together...

Mark Jeffrey Dribin Missing since July 2, 1999 from Portland, Oregon Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 13, 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 42 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 160 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Bald; hazel eyes. Mustache and goatee.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Neighbors last saw Mark at his residence at approximately 14:00. His vehicle is also missing and described as a black, two door 1995 Ford Explorer Sport with OR license number SL-14414.
He was reported missing July 6 when he did not show up to his job as a United Airlines cargo worker.
Police checked his home in the 3600 block of Northeast 137th Avenue and found a substantial amount of forensic evidence to suggest he was killed.
His car was reported stolen and recovered several weeks later in Southeast Portland. Police suspect the killing resulted from a relationship gone bad. Dribin's body has not been found.

Portland Police Bureau - Cold Case Homicide Unit
Cold Case detective: Sgt Bahnson Phone number: (503) 823 3333
cold case contact at Portland police: Larry Findling , a retired detective
larry.findling@portlandoregon.gov
Crime Stoppers: 1-503-823-HELP (4357)
Case #: 99-1387

NamUs
Doe Network Case File 3847DMOR
Help Find Mark Dribin FB page
Charley Project
Details of Disappearance - Dribin resided alone in a house in the 3000 block of northeast 137th Avenue in Portland, Oregon in 1999. He was last seen at the Eagle Tavern on southwest 13th Avenue and Burnside Street on July 3, 1999. Dribin has never been heard from again. His vehicle was discovered abandoned several days later near southeast 43rd Avenue and Division Street in Portland. There was no sign of him at the scene.

Authorities believe that Dribin was murdered inside his home between July 2 and July 6, 1999; they found "substantial forensic evidence" indicating a homicide had taken place there. There were blood spatters all over the walls and indications that someone had tried to clean up. Investigators theorize that Dribin's car was stolen from his house and parked on the street where it was located. Dribin's body has never been recovered and there have been no arrests in his case, which remains unsolved.

Dribin was employed by United Airlines at the time of his disappearance.

Tricia's True Crime Radio Special Edition Mark Dribin "By all accounts, Mark Dribin was a loving son, a hard worker, a friendly neighbor. Over the Fourth of July weekend 1999, he vanished -- never heard from again"

Portland OR Police Unsolved Cold Cases - MARK DRIBIN - In 1999, Mark Jeffrey Dribin worked for United Airlines at PDX. On July 2, 1999, Mr. Dribin called his employer and requested the night off, as he had a ”personal emergency.” Mr Dribin has not been seen or heard from since.

Mr. Dribin, a 42-year-old white male, 5’6”, 160 lbs with a shaved head, was a very responsible worker and not known to miss shifts or to disappear for any period of time. He was close to his parents and brother and has not contacted them since 1999. His family and friends do not believe that he simply left town.

Press Release - FAMILY OFFERS REWARD IN UNSOLVED HOMICIDE November 20, 2001
On Tuesday, November 20, 2001, Assistant Chief Andrew Kirkland, Detectives from the Portland Police Bureau Homicide Division, and the family of Mark Jeffery Dribin will hold a news conference to announce a substantial reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspect(s) responsible for what appears to be the death of Mark Dribin.

Dribin disappeared on July 2, 1999. His body has not been recovered. Dribin lived at 3629 NE 137th Avenue in Portland, Oregon.

The news conference will take place at 11:30 a.m. in the 14th floor conference room of the Justice Center located at 1111 SW 2nd Avenue in Portland, Oregon . Mark Dribin’s father, Ken Dribin and his brother, Terry Dribin will make a statement.

In addition to the reward offered by the Dribin family, the Carole Sund Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation is offering an additional reward in this investigation.

Anyone with information is asked to call the investigators listed above.

News Articles
Cold case detectives re-examine Portland man's disappearance Posted: Nov 03, 2011 2:03 PM EDT Updated: Nov 16, 2011 11:05 AM EST By Nicole Doll
The 42-year-old north Portland man worked air freight for United Airlines at Portland International Airport. Police said Dribin called July 2 and told his supervisor he needed the night off for a "personal emergency."

"A friend actually reported him missing on the 6th, which would have been Tuesday," Stahlman said. "And then Port of Portland police actually went to his house that day to check because he hadn't shown up for work. And the evidence starts becoming apparent. There was a substantial amount of evidence in the house."

Crime scene photos showed biological evidence in Dribin's house on Northeast 137th Avenue. All over the walls was evidence of blood spatter that investigators said appeared someone had cleaned up.

Dribin's SUV was also missing from the garage. It was found two weeks later near Southeast 43rd Avenue and Division Street, an area investigators said Dribin didn't frequent.
Mark Dribin was last seen Saturday, July 3, 1999, at what was then The Eagle Tavern, a bar on Southwest 13th Avenue and Burnside Street.

But after that, investigators said the trail went cold. Mark Dribin's body has never been recovered

Cold Case: United Airlines employee presumed dead - Man disappeared under suspicious circumstances in 1999
By Brent Weisberg (Twitter: @BrentKOIN) Published: July 2, 2014, 8:49 am Updated: July 2, 2014, 9:16 am
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN 6) — An employee for United Airlines called his boss on July 2, 1999 and requested the night off for a “personal emergency.” The man has never been seen or heard from since, according to police.

When Dribin called his employer 15 years ago, he was scheduled to work the night shift at Portland International Airport, police said.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 503.823.HELP.
Better contact information than Larry Findling: Sgt. Margaret Bahnson (503)823-0848
These are direct #s

Roselvr, I do appreciate your renewed interest in this case (and everyone who has posted/read about Mark), but the last time I spoke with Kenny was about 3 months ago. They are in their 80's now, in poor health, and it seems to have become a painfully sore topic to bring up with them, so I don't know of any easy way to get this info. As far as his Facebook page, I wish that I had some new pictures or something to post to bring it to life, but I don't. Mark was my 2nd cousin.

Sorry; did not mean to ask his parents. Who was in contact with his LE? They would know where the DNA sample is stored so it can be entered into NamUs if his remains are found. If someone can call his LE; I can relay to his NamUs case worker if needed.

Better contact information than Larry Findling: Sgt. Margaret Bahnson (503)823-0848
These are direct #s

Thanks; edited the entry on Never Forget Me

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back