Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
So quiet....I can't find any news online yet. Will keep checking and wait for Cherchri's update.

I see. We should widen the scope and understand that oil industry employees, regardless of where they live, are Calgarians by virtue of the fact that oil company head offices are in Calgary. Furthermore, we should accept that oil company employees that live in other parts of the country are drug abusers, therefore Calgary oil company employees are drug abusers. In the context of this discussion, we know that the victims, and their immediate family, are Calgary oil company employees.

Clearly this line of reasoning, with its wide scope of understanding, is intended to portray Calgary oil company employees - in this case the victims and their immediate family, as having some connection with illegal drugs.

What next? Now that there has been such an earnest group effort (lasting several days) to associate illegal drug use with the victims, what is the point of this earnest effort?

My recollection of the last few days is someone accusing everyone else of making that connection. No one is making that connection. The worst that has been said is that it's not completely out of the question. Grey. Not black and white.

So far:

Results for douglas garland
Top / All

Kevin Martin ‏@SUNKevinMartin 5m

Douglas Garland appeared in #yyc provincial court in person. Did not address court during brief proceeding to set May 19 preliminary inquiry
Expand
Retweet
Favorite
JanetDirks ‏@janetdirks 5m

Douglas Garland in court in person. Charged with murdering Nathan O'Brien & grandparents Kathy & Alvin Liknes. Prelim set for May 19-29.
1:18 PM - 17 Sep 2014 · Details

Kevin Martin ‏@SUNKevinMartin 6m

Triple #yyc murder suspect Douglas Garland will face a nine-day preliminary next May. Charged with killing couple and their grandson.

JanetDirks ‏@janetdirks 39s

Douglas Garland- clean shaven, stooped in blue prison uniform. Dad of Nathan O'Brien in court. Garland made no eye contact with gallery.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

People · View all

Doug Garland @douggarland

Douglas Garland Doug Garland Douglas Garland Doug Garland Mr Douglas Garland Doug Garland and more
====
Lucas Meyer ‏@meyer_lucas 3m

Douglas Garland appearance ends quickly. Preliminary set for May 19 - 25

With all due respect, my request for links was on September 15. Since then, much has changed, including a request to stop attempting to associate the victims with illegal drug abuse until such time that a connection is reported in the media.

You and Slebby are the only ones that keep bringing it up. If it weren't so blatantly hypocritical for all to see on it's own, I'd be tempted to flag your posts. It's just better for everyone to judge for themselves, rather than have them snipped.

OMG! I'm surprised he went in person! What message does this send and who decides if he goes in person to attends via CCTV?

When is it (in the process) that an accused pleads guilty or not-guilty?

Whaaaaa???? Not until THEN??? How bizarre! (IMOO of course)

So in relation to other murder trials does May seem like an overly long time period for the preliminary hearing?

I don't think so, (MOO), but.. again with my unpopular theory.. that is a heckuva long time to wait, if an accused happens to be innocent.

So in relation to other murder trials does May seem like an overly long time period for the preliminary hearing?

No...Matthew Degroots is March or April I think. I could be wrong. I think avg to go yo trial is about 18 months so 10 months for prelim doesn't sound excessive

I'm just having such a hard time with how everything is rights related.. rather than truth related.. ie, an accused waits a YEAR to divulge whether he pleads guilty or not-guilty, and that is based on the EVIDENCE, as opposed to the truth..
deugirtni is feeling rather naive right now.

After preliminary hearing I believe. They need to see if there is enough evidence to go to trial.

I assume if he was clean shaven that he is not on suicide watch any longer? Is that a fair assumption?

So I shaved my manly legs today, I'm still really depressed that I appear to be a man. Which reminds me, I have to go back to work before they fire my manly butt! Have fun sleuthers! BBL! Hope you hear from Cherchri soon!

No...Matthew Degroots is March or April I think. I could be wrong. I think avg to go yo trial is about 18 months so 10 months for prelim doesn't sound excessive

Makes sense. I believe Matthew Degroot has already had the psych assessment and possibly a second opinion. Where does the request for a psych evaluation fit in with DG? Would that have been requested today or not until the preliminary?

I assume if he was clean shaven that he is not on suicide watch any longer? Is that a fair assumption?
No...they made Robert Pickton take a bath.. So maybe someone shaved DG...although the fact that he was in court in person is encouraging:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven