VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to convict for murder in the absence of a body in Virginia?

My family has been working with the FBI for nearly 28 years in my sister Cathy and her friend Rebecca Dowski's deaths as part of the Colonial Parkway Murders in Virginia. Trust me, laws enforcement will not likely announce the results of any forensics testing to the public, not before all charges have been filed, an arrest made, a trial, and possible conviction. And maybe not even then.

Bill Thomas

I am so sorry for your loss. I, too, am a homicide survivor. God Bless you and yours.

This is all so depressing. :0(

Not really great news. My heart goes out to Hannah's friends and family.

Wow. Just got back from a meeting and missed a lot....off to read.

Huh? Longo was perfectly calm and composed tonight. No "theatrics", no gesticulations. Just announced the change to the situation, the charges, apologised that the "wanted" poster had been released momentarily before the presser and answered one question about whether they were still searching for Hannah. I witnessed no "scary endorphine levels" tonight.

I wasn't able to see the PC tonight...I read he was making what seemed to be a concerted effort to tone down after his last presser.

Huh? Longo was perfectly calm and composed tonight. No "theatrics", no gesticulations. Just announced the change to the situation, the charges, apologised that the "wanted" poster had been released momentarily before the presser and answered one question about whether they were still searching for Hannah. I witnessed no "scary endorphine levels" tonight.

Thank goodness! I feel a lot better about this now that he's toned it down.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Is it possible to convict for murder in the absence of a body in Virginia?

I think so- remember Alexis Murphy and RAT was convicted of her murder and I don't think they've found her yet.

Just to provide confirmation..yes, 18.2-48 (abduction with intent to defile) is a DNA Qualified Felony in VA, meaning a DNA sample is required upon arrest

To me it sounds like he is in a different phase of the investigation and is not making a direct appeal to the suspect at this time.

Longo has 13 years as chief of police, handling several high profile cases and he is known to be an excellent public speaker. IMO everything this man does is calculated. He's not losing his head here. And while so many seem to believe everything he says is for their benefit, it's not. Some of what he says and does is very likely a specific message to the suspect or witnesses, etc.

I've researched. It seems this is a very intelligent, driven officer. I looked hard to find anything to support what I see is a real negative perception (on the part of some here) of this officer and his methods but I found nothing in his record or any statements by any colleagues or even critics to substantiate the inference that he is a buffoon trying to somehow create a circus for some inexplicable reason or railroad an innocent man or whatever. Nothing.

Thank you. I researched him as well and feel the same way. If I were (God forbid, I hate to even type the words) in the same position as Hannah's parents, I would consider myself lucky to have someone like him on my side.

Poor Hannah....I'm so sorry. The turmoil her family is going through must be breaking their hearts.

The sketch and mugshot comparison posted earlier show striking similarities.

I agree. And for those who think the sketch isn't close enough, take a look at these comparisons from another case:

This is the guy who is facing trial for the murder of Sierra La Mar:
kgo-garcia-torres-sketch-052312-ss.jpg
http://abc7chicago.com/archive/8674901/

8693748_600x338.jpg
http://abclocal.go.com/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=8692857

Both sketches were of the defendant. I'm confused why people feel these sketches must be exact. Or could be exact.

Someone mentioned this a few pages back (sorry I would quote it but I don't feel like digging for it now..) that it's possible he is a match to other cases but they need his *official* DNA -- taken in the legal/proper manner from a cheek swab in order to charge him, vs taken from his car or his bedroom with the "assumption" that it's his DNA.

So, I agree with this completely and still think it's very possible he will have additional murder/rape charges posted against him.

Sadly that's probably because they think she's dead and are no longer pleading to get her home.

Whichever way it goes, the days of Chief Longo being so open with the public are coming to an end. This could be for stated reasons, or it could be because this openness was a police "tactic" that failed to achieve results. I predict a lot of frustration and disappointment in the days ahead for the police, the Grahams, and for us here at WS.

Seems like we kept getting details in Alexis' case, before the trial?

I was taken back by Longo's tone tonight.Just don't know what it means to the investigation.How did they lose track of JM,I thought they were watching him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz