JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that they are connected to certain people at crime labs, LE, etc... and that thse people have a genuine concern for the Harringtons and think they owe it to them to at least know some basics. I got the impression when Gil let it slip that Morgan's bones had been crushed, that this was more than LE wanted revealed. So...TOTALLY MY GUESS... but they were probably told fairly early "off the record" that there was a DNA match from JLM to Morgan. Just my 2 cents worth.

I started following because of Hannah Graham and have become too obsessed with this case. I am trying to limit my time thinking about it, but it's hard.

I have found myself looking at Google maps, street view, scanning for that ugly orange Chrysler, looking in parking lots, trying to look in the windows of parked cars. But when I am doing it, I am thinking...I can't be the only WSer doing this!?!

I have never read "attractive and charismatic" in the clinical description of a sociopath.

Sociopath is another word for Antisocial Personality Disorder. The clinical description can be found here:

http://www.psi.uba.ar/academica/car...ica_tr_personalidad_psicosis/material/dsm.pdf
Sociopath and Antisocial Personality Disorder are not synonymous. Sociopath which is commonly defined as the same as psychopaths. Psychopaths fit the criteria for APD but they are a very specific type of ASP. Dr. Robert Hare is an expert on the subject and he has writen some awesome books on the subject I highly recommend "without conscience". In this article he talks about it.

http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopathy_aspd_sociopathy.htm

Refocusing the idea of antisocial personality disorder, psychopathy is characterized by such traits as

lack of remorse or empathy
shallow emotions
manipulativeness
lying
egocentricity
glibness
low frustration tolerance
episodic relationships
parasitic lifestyle
persistent violation of social norms

I think Egocentric (often mistaking as confidence), glibness, and manipulativeness can make someone initially seem "attractive, charismatic" depending on their definition of those terms. Was LJM a psychopath idk he certainly doesn't fit all the criteria but the issue psychopath is not a yes or no issue its by degrees. I do think he full fits the ADP definition with some elements of psychopathy but its hard to tell because we get mixed anecdotal reports of how he was.

I started following because of Hannah Graham and have become too obsessed with this case. I am trying to limit my time thinking about it, but it's hard.

I am glad to read I'm not alone in this. . . I joined this site so I could follow this case. I feel "too obsessed" with this also and I don't know why it's grabbed me so much more than any other.

When I read that another young woman was missing from Charlottesville, I was immediately interested because of a possible connection to Morgan. There are other cases I've followed, as with Morgan, where I check every once in a while to see if there are more victims from the same area (Evansdale cousins is another case where I'm sure there will be more victims). Sometimes it obvious that the person responsible is going to do it again, that it's just a matter of time. That's what happened here. There was extreme brutality in Morgan's murder. She was in a very secluded spot and taken a long distance from where she was last seen. Jesse had a lot of time alone with her. The same thing probably happened with Hannah. Jesse didn't grab them off the street, assault them, and leave them in a nearby dumpster, he took them somewhere where he could spend time with his victims. I was pretty sure that it was just a matter of time before the cases were connected. It's more of a relief that he has finally been arrested, than a surprise that he was. JMO.

I was much the same way didn't get into hannahs case till like ten days in and its because when I read about it my mind went to morgan my first post in this thread was how spooky the similarities are.

I wonder if he purposely chose Fairfax as the location of the 2005 rape so he wasn't on his own doorstep. Maybe he wasn't as confident as he became by 2009, and wanted some distance between himself and the rape.

I don't think we can know his motivation - in the Fairfax case, he lie in wait, and stalked his prey. In Harrington, and presumably, Graham's case, he probably lured them into his car with the promise of a ride, took them to a remote location, and, well.

He was interrupted in the Fairfax case, which possibly made him evolve his technique to getting his victims into his car, then taking his victims to a remote location where he felt safe. That's usually something that you can see in most serial cases, they evolve and refine their technique to a more-or-less characteristic pattern.

But there's no telling if he intended to kill the Fairfax victim, or if his intention was to rape/murder MH and HG as soon as they got into the car, or if it was an escalation - that is, did he ask for consensual sex, was rebuffed, and he escalated? (and certainly not suggesting it matters or to minimize his guilt in any way. Personally, I think at least at some level, he had formed the intent to kill them, that once in the car, their fates were more-or-less sealed.)

If there are other victims - and his retention of MH's shirt for two months suggest to me that he might've kept trophies, which could tie him to yet-more cases; if so, then a clearer pattern of his behavior will probably emerge.

And if it bothers anyone why someone would wonder about these things - understanding his evolution, identifying the mistakes he - and the investigators - made, the opportunities missed to identify him earlier, while they won't help these victims, may help investigators learn from their mistakes, and be better able to identify and capture future perpetrators.

In the post below, I posit a possible reason why he chose Fairfax - but it's tenuous, at best - I have no idea what his activities were after leaving CNU and before becoming a cab driver - it may just be coincidence, and he traveled there to, as you say, put distance between the crime and himself, and the location was more-or-less random.

But this distance traveled does suggest to me that it was no mere opportunistic event, but that he traveled there with the specific intent to find someone to stalk and rape - and possibly, to kill. And if you accept *that*, then you have to suppose there were probably other attempts by him in the intervening years, and probably, other victims.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...*Forensic-Link*-to-MH&p=11030671#post11030671

@alana_austin: Investigators are exploring whether #HannahGraham case has a link to an unsolved homicide in Campbell Co. http://t.co/3d4f0vZUlx

Don't know where this belongs

IMO of all the "others" that I have seen so far this one is the most likely. I think they need to get people searching out in the woods/mountain area adjacent to liberty university.

Based on JLM reportedly trying to get it on with another girl in the same restaurant hours before, it looks like he is only successful in getting a girl to go to his car when her judgement is impaired. My gut feeling is that he tries all the time... and continuously gets rejected in public... or in the presence of others... and only when he is alone with a victim who does not have all their faculties to see the wolf in sheep's clothing, he gets them into his car and then he tries to violate them. When they resist, he beats, rapes and eventually kills them. If he attacked Morgan at Anchorage Farms, he might keep the charm going for a long time until the location is right.

Morgan was without a working phone when she was picked up hitch hiking. Hannah had a working phone but he probably punched her out in the car and took it away...and then texted that she was lost. I wonder where LE think that last text came from? Miles south and east of Charlottesvile?

Someone in the Other Possible Victims thread brought up a different possible victim in northern Virginia and it made me think that the Fairfax case could be related to driving a taxi.

I do know that when the United Airlines C'ville to Dulles flight has problems, the airport will sometimes call a bunch of taxis and have the passengers driven up to Dulles. I'm also pretty sure that only certain cabs are allowed to pick up passengers at Dulles, so cabs from C'ville would be coming home empty.

Does someone have the dates he worked for the taxi company?

Here is a link to the Today Show segment from earlier today. In it Gil says they don't know more and that VSP is, and has always been, tightlipped about details. Only thing I can find to answer your question. I was surprised to hear her say this, as I assumed they would have known more....

http://www.today.com/news/morgan-ha...desperate-find-missing-uva-student-2D80184226

I just have to say that I love the Harringtons! I want to hug them .. They are such composed, classy people! They have waited so long for answers in Morgan's death and I'm so happy they are getting some.

Oh Lordy,

You know that Google Maps, Streetview, etc are not real-time right? Those images are best updated once a year. You probably are in fact, the only WS'er doing this. Stay motivated! Keep hunting! :loveyou:

I have found myself looking at Google maps, street view, scanning for that ugly orange Chrysler, looking in parking lots, trying to look in the windows of parked cars. But when I am doing it, I am thinking...I can't be the only WSer doing this!?!

I've been lurking on the HG threads for quite a while, and before that, I remember lurking as a guest on the Morgan Harrington thread. My mother, a past member of Websleuths (she doesn't log on too often anymore) was certainly the reason for my interest in true crime and my passion for justice- I say this as a college student who is now studying to become a prosecutor. I remember getting in trouble as a teenager for logging onto her websleuths account just so I could read more posts; I loved the idea of a community who was just as dedicated to true crime and sleuthing for justice as I was.

I came home to visit her on the day of JLM's arrest. We sat around the kitchen table catching up. She was reading the local news (we're in Texas, and the Galveston area where JLM was arrested is not far from us) and she excitedly announced he had been turned in after camping on the beach. She then turned to me and said "I'd be willing to bet he is involved in the Morgan Harrington case. The other Virginia college student, remember? I just know it. Too many similarities for the two not to be related. They need to test his DNA now."

At the time, I didn't pay much mind to it, for whatever reason...

Days later, the news of the forensic link comes out. It amazed me how her initial gut reaction was so spot on!

I'm a bit late joining the discussion, but as a college student it sickens me to know that a what should have been fun night for these two girls (a Metallica concert, an evening out on the town) turned into tragedy (assumed, in Hannah's case :( ) because an evil piece of scum sought out and took advantage of their states of vulnerability.

The silver lining is that this monster can't prey on the "weak" anymore. The light at the end of the tunnel is that the Harrington family finally has the missing puzzle piece they were always fighting for. Nothing will bring Morgan back, but I can pray that this new information gives the Harrington family some kind of peace. Perhaps there will be some comfort and closure to be found in justice.
:(

Oh Lordy,

You know that Google Maps, Streetview, etc are not real-time right? Those images are best updated once a year. You probably are in fact, the only WS'er doing this. Stay motivated! Keep hunting! :loveyou:

Yeah, I'm not that stupid.
The point is - he's been living there for ALL. OF. THOSE. YEARS.

ETA: I had Google blur out the license plates, bumper stickers, some paperwork in a car parked in our driveway (!!!) and a flag that we have flying in front of our house - all because I could see them clearly on street view. You'd be surprised what I found out about my neighbors on street view, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu