Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I read it on another site also aerosol spray from sneezing etc of infected person can survive 6 days on objects..

See, why wasn't that released from the beginning? 6 days! Checking my pantry and freezer to see how much food we have to survive without going to the store for the next month.

Flight information has been released airline going to contact all folks from all flights

Epidemiologists trace contacts by first interviewing the patient and then the family members to identify all possible names of the people the patient might have had contact with, Frieden said. Then, they will outline all the movements that could have taken place from the time the patient’s symptoms began until isolation.

A map will be made containing time, place and level of contact, shown in concentric circles to identify risk as high, medium, low.

The CDC team and other health officials will monitor all the contacts every day for 21 days. In Senegal, a single patient had more than 60 contacts and all were identified and none became ill, he said.

Frieden said that anyone with any likelihood of exposure from the Dallas case will be contacted.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10/01/6165611/officials-say-only-one-ebola-case.html#storylink=cpy

Well, that's interesting. Then why did they quarantine the ambulance crew and the ambulance out of service. Why aren't they releasing the airline and flight # that this guy flew in from? Did they take a poll of all the people flying on that airplane and ask if they were willing to fly with someone who could be infected with the Ebola virus and everyone voted yes?

It was United Airlines.

See, why wasn't that released from the beginning? 6 days! Checking my pantry and freezer to see how much food we have to survive without going to the store for the next month.

I'd go stock up now before it gets bad

It was United Airlines.

By Keith Laing - 10/01/14 06:11 PM EDT

The first person to be diagnosed with the deadly Ebola virus in the U.S. flew on a pair of United Airlines' flights last month, the company confirmed on Wednesday.

The company said the Ebola-stricken passenger traveled on its Flight 951 from Brussels to Washington's Dulles International Airport and then connected to its Flight 822 to Dallas.
http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/219511-us-ebola-patient-flew-united-airlines-from-dc

Scheduled Flight for Thomas Duncan

Thomas Duncan flew from Monrovia (ROB) to Brussels (BRU) on Brussels Airlines flight 1247 (SN1247) which departed ROB on Thurs. Sept. 18 and arrived in BRU early moring Fri. Sept. 19. He did not depart BRU until the next day aboard United Airlines flight (UA951) which arrived at Dulles (IAD) the same day. He had a round-trip ticket, which was purchased on Sept. 2 from an IATA accredited travel agency in Lagos, Nigeria. It appears his ticket was purchased by a company named “Silson Global Business Liberia Ltd.”. His return flight was scheduled to depart Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) on Oct. 19. The return flight was scheduled for DFW-IAD-BRU-FNA (FNA is Lungi Intl Airport in Freetown, Sierra Leone).

Charles C. Johnson @ChuckCJohnson · 3h 3 hours ago

Ebola can travel up to 3 ft in air but don't worry I'm sure #Ebola patient had plenty of leg room flying internationally through 2 countries

Charles C. Johnson @ChuckCJohnson · 60m 60 minutes ago

BREAKING: EXCLUSIVE: http://Gotnews.com Has LEAKED Flight Info of #Ebola Dallas Patient http://gotnews.com/?p=1173

Why the heck are we allowing ANYONE from an African country into our good old US of A. This is stupid. We know there is a disease over there that has NEVER been on American soil, but who cares.....we will just let them all in. No matter. I guess when all the children die, then it may make a difference. Children, the elderly and people that are immune compromised will be the first, the others will follow. I am not buying this for a minute that this is an isolated incident. I am a proud republican and I know where this is coming from.

I
I'm pissed off at the entire family. They knew he came from Liberia so when he got sick they should have never let their kids around him let alone them send them to effin school around other kids. And I know that it might not be an issue good lawd this case is just nuts! He should have told the hosptial right out that he was helping a dying woman with Ebola because I think had he done that the hospital would have sprung into action. Don't get me wrong they def dropped the ball when it was said he was from Liberia. I was doing good and not freaking out until these most recent articles - the one about the woman and the one that really made the anxiety go out of whack was the one where it stated he was puking outside the apartment. Now have you I'm in PA but stll this is Effin crazy. :banghead:

End of rant

I am more concerned that the hospital he visited initially dropped the ball. Or did they really? Hospitals are not so hospitable to those without insurance. Hearing on AC360 that his friend called the CDC, not the hospital. Hospital may have hoped he would just disappear.

I

I am more concerned that the hospital he visited initially dropped the ball. Or did they really? Hospitals are not so hospitable to those without insurance. Hearing on AC360 that his friend called the CDC, not the hospital. Hospital may have hoped he would just disappear.

This whole thing (EBOLA) is a big bunch of crap. I cannot believe this has been going on for years in this region of the world and no travel restrictions have been put in place. It's like the government does not want to take care of us. Cough, Cough......like they really would to begin with. I am going to quit life and become Amish

The very first news reports here in TX were that he had been caring for his sister in Liberia who had EBOLA! He knew he had been exposed and hopped a plane to the US so he could get healthcare.

If he knowingly exposed othesr to this, he should be arrested if he survives.

JMO!

Why would this goverment let anyone in this country from Liberia at this point? Especially " just for a visit"? Oh, and they might be able to stop it. ISIS is nothing compared to the disaster they may have unleased on OUR country. And then the hospital sends him home? I certainly would never go to that hospital ever.

Can't wait to hear the hospital's reason for not notifying the CDC. I am really mad that this sick man was just blown off. He was sick, he knew it and tried to get help, tried to make the hospital understand the connection between his illness and the fact he had just traveled from an infected area. I hope the health department investigates this hospital. So glad I am retired. I just can't stand to see patients treated differently because of their ability or inability to pay. Thanks for letting me rant.

Amen and thank you. I really don't want to be an alarmist, but this is some crazy stuff.

Read this and weep! From the BBC

Ebola outbreak: 'Five infected every hour' in Sierra Leone

'Massively unreported'

Save the Children says Ebola is spreading across Sierra Leone at a "terrifying rate", with the number of new cases being recorded doubling every few weeks.

It said that even as health authorities got on top of the outbreak in one area, it spread to another.

The scale of the disease is also "massively unreported" according to the charity, because "untold numbers of children are dying anonymously at home or in the streets".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29453755

Can't wait to hear the hospital's reason for not notifying the CDC. I am really mad that this sick man was just blown off. He was sick, he knew it and tried to get help, tried to make the hospital understand the connection between his illness and the fact he had just traveled from an infected area. I hope the health department investigates this hospital. So glad I am retired. I just can't stand to see patients treated differently because of their ability or inability to pay. Thanks for letting me rant.

I'm not so sure he tried, he didn't get across the point that he handled a woman dying from Ebola. If he had made that point clear, the connection to Liberia would have been understood, and he would have been immediately quarantined. I think he might have snuck into the U.S. hoping to be treated. He had to have known he was at risk- the woman died that same night, and so did her brother. They were both in the car with him. To me he is extremely selfish, and if he survives, I hope he is prosecuted. Other people may needlessly die because of him. He had no business traveling in the first place.

Mm
I'm not so sure he tried, he didn't get across the point that he handled a woman dying from Ebola. If he had made that point clear, the connection to Liberia would have been understood, and he would have been immediately quarantined. I think he might have snuck into the U.S. hoping to be treated. He had to have known he was at risk- the woman died that same night, and so did her brother. They were both in the car with him. To me he is extremely selfish, and if he survives, I hope he is prosecuted. Other people may needlessly die because of him. He had no business traveling in the first place.

We would need to know when he became symptomatic. I really don't think this man snuck into the US to get treatment. I think I read symptoms start and rapidly progress to debilitating the patient others may needlessly die because the hospital sent him back home with antibiotics which are completely ineffective in treating viruses.

Ebola initially looks like any disease like malaria or flu. However, the hospital really dropped the ball. This is really inexcusable.

More blame should be on the man IMO he should have told them first off "I was around a pregnant woman in Liberia whom died of Ebola and I think that I may be having symptoms of it." I think if he had said the hospital would have got on it. But yes ITA the nurse and hospital are at fault too.

He is number one at fault for even getting on that plane. In my book, he is a complete piece of you know what and there needs to be consequences for him if he survives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ