Ebola outbreak - general thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
He shouldn't have been traveling to begin with. Being directly in contact with an Ebola patient, he should have been monitored for 21 days. Liberia clearly isn't doing what should be done.
And neither does US.

Liberia has been asking and begging for help for weeks and months.

MSF and WHO have been warning the rest of the world that things were getting out of control. Liberia does not have the resources or personnel to 'do what should be done'. They have not even got a quarter of the beds they need. At one point the entire country had no more than one doctor per 40,000 patients. Quite a few of those doctors have already died of Ebola.

Did you not read the article - when this man helped his landlord to take the 7-months pregnant daughter to hospital they were turned away because there were no beds. She had to go home and die without medication to ease the pain and with no equipment to help her family reduce their chances of contracting the disease.

I know it is natural to care about ones' own family first etc, but the total lack of compassion from some on this thread is pretty depressing and really worrying.The level of ignorance is kind of shocking as well. We have TV, newspapers and the internet to gather information - far more sources than the people in West Africa that many are so quick to condemn.

Viruses mutate - if people seriously think that pulling up the drawbridge, denying support to help in the countries affected and just leaving West Africa to deal with this is going to keep them safe, I genuinely think they are deluded. The longer the outbreak continues, the greater the chance of the virus making the terrifying mutation to become truly airborne. Once that happens, it doesn't matter whether flights are cancelled or not - Ebola will spread around the globe. How much air travel was there in 1918-20 when the world was devastated by Spanish 'flu? Not much at all.

I recall that someone had stated or wrote that the virus had mutated whereas previously people died within just a few days of contracting the illness.. Now we have a 21 day window. So it would ravage a village and then burn out not so anymore..

Nigeria dealt with the same virus with the same characteristics in August. This man is Texas has the same strain as the man who flew into Lagos, Nigeria, and infected others.

Further, Lagos is NOT a village. It is a city of around 20 million people. It's size and population can be compared to any large US city.

If they were able to contain it there, then we can contain it here following the same isolation and tracing protocols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't buy duct tape either and yea hand sanitizer would be pretty worthless against a virus duh... Smh

Mm

We would need to know when he became symptomatic. I really don't think this man snuck into the US to get treatment. I think I read symptoms start and rapidly progress to debilitating the patient others may needlessly die because the hospital sent him back home with antibiotics which are completely ineffective in treating viruses.

He became symptomatic several days AFTER arriving in the US.

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!! They just said on CNN that relative has done NOTHING with this towels, sheets, etc in that apartment from when he was sick. She has done nothing with them and they have health officials going to the apartment. They are saying in Liberia that they are burning the things that the sick people have used. If I lived in that apartment duplex I would be getting the F out of dodge!!! I am appalled! She is totally going to get this. If she doesn't get Ebola I would be shocked.

Some of you are working yourself up to a hysteria and need to calm down. You guys realize that Nigeria, a country with a fraction of our resources, was able to nip this in the bud when a patient with active disease entered their country and infected about 20 or so people, right? They've not had a massive pandemic because they went through the steps to contain it. It's perfectly possible to do the same here. Anyone who didn't believe this was inevitable due to our open borders was living in denial. If it hadn't been Texas, it would have been New York, or Atlanta, or some other city.

As to people worrying that being in the same building as an infected person with ebola who has a tiny sneeze:

Last night CNN interviewed Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who is not an epidemiologist, but has the intelligence to seek out and find the best people who have studied this disease for decades, and interview them. This is not a new disease, there is plenty of research, this is NO indication it has mutated to anything significantly different. His sources had this to say about shedding virus in nasopharyngeal secretions:

He broke it down into what kinds of exposure are worse than others. Droplets that are excreted when we cough or sneeze are the tiniest risk -he explained that droplets such as this, just don't contain any real meaningful amount of virus as in the same amount of blood or even vomit. It is not a virus that lives very well in the respiratory system, which also decreases the risk of picking it up from anything expelled during a cough or sneeze. At that point it is less like bodily fluid and more like a gas. He said it was theoretically correct that one could spread the disease via cough or sneeze, but it is highly, highly unlikely to be transmitted that way because of these components. It's blood, vomit, diarrhea, and semen we need to worry about the most.

Those of you who don't trust people with education, or like to engage in conspiracy theories, or think that anyone wearing scrubs is part of some kind of effort to get you and yours can continue to work yourself into a panic and get all your science information from bunk science blogs. I live practically at ground zero and intend to stay calm and rational and practice safe hygiene and use common sense as I always have. Today as I go to work as a nurse less than 2 miles from ground zero, I will use universal precautions and keep abreast of the news, as well as keep all the people who actually came into direct contact with his bodily fluids in my thoughts and hope for the best for all of them.

Meanwhile, as in every year, over 30,000 will die of influenza, some of them after refusing a vaccine that could have saved them.

Quoting for truth.

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!! They just said on CNN that relative has done NOTHING with this towels, sheets, etc in that apartment from when he was sick. She has done nothing with them or done anything in the apartment and they have health officials going to the apartment. They are saying in Liberia that they are burning the things that the sick people have used. If I lived in that apartment duplex I would be getting the F out of dodge!!! I am appalled! She is totally going to get this. If she doesn't get Ebola I would be shocked.

No..the CDC insist doing anything. Be glad she hasn't done anything with that stuff!!

They just said on CNN that relative has done NOTHING with this towels, sheets, etc in that apartment from when he was sick. She has done nothing with them and they have health officials going to the apartment.

We live in a country that is bombarded with information on this for nearly a year, how diligence and awareness can stop this virus, how we are not apt to have an outbreak like other countries, etc.

Then again, we have some very rookie mistakes taking place with our first case in the US that makes me reconsider everything everyone on the tv (or in an article) has ever told me.

Just to bring up Sanjay again, he is even appalled that this man was released, and that this woman's apartment was left, well basically, contaminated and she was quarantined in it.

Who is supposed to bring the family food and necessities for the next 21 days?

I think if he did what you are describing, sneaked into the U.S. for treatment, I would expect the majority of US citizens to do the same if in his shoes. This hysteria is just ridiculous!

Yeah and I would also expect MOST countries (at least the smart ones) would kick an American that did that OUT! I can just imagine sneaking into Mexico, China, Russia, Iran, Japan,or most nations and then EXPECT free highly expensive medical care because a foreign national knowingly decided to travel to their country and expose THERE populace.

Yep She was sleeping with him on the sweaty sheets. Using the same toilet that he was sick in. I feel so badly for her and her kids. JMO Then it takes a phonecall with Anderson Cooper to be overheard before the CDC or Bio hazard authorities bother to get to that apartment and get rid of the contaminated items.....................disgusting JMO

IMO This is not about the flu shot or hysteria...

This is about our government NOT protecting us. For crying out loud! This man came from Liberia. When he entered the U.S, bells, whistles and sirens should have gone off. When he went to the hospital the first time...more bells, whistles and sirens should have gone off.

Whether he showed symptoms, or, not...

Why should alarm bells have rung when he entered the US - or are you in the group who think that no one from Africa should be allowed into the US ever again?

Not everyone in Africa has Ebola and even in the affected countries 30% of people in the treatment centres recover due to the supportive care received allowing their immune systems to beat the infection.

This is why more treatment and isolation centres are needed.

I think if he did what you are describing, sneaked into the U.S. for treatment, I would expect the majority of US citizens to do the same if in his shoes. This hysteria is just ridiculous!

Yeah and I would also expect MOST countries (at least the smart ones) would kick an American that did that OUT! I can just imagine what would happen if someone visited Mexico, China, Russia, Iran, or most nations and then EXPECTED highly expensive FREE medical that could cost over a million dollars.

4 new things we're learning about Ebola

1. It's hard to get Ebola

2. How we interact with animals

3. How to stay sane in the field

4. It doesn't transmit before symptoms

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/4-new-...p=googleeditorspick&google_editors_picks=true

"This is an infectious disease of animals and … about three-quarters of all new infectious diseases that we see in humans — from HIV to SARS to Middle East Respiratory Syndrome and now Ebola — have their origins in animals. … How we interact with animal populations is directly going to affect our own health and our security. "

I hope they don't spread THAT message among the ignorant. Yes, many of these diseases show up in human populations because they are hunting and eating exotic bush meat such as primates (they decimate the wildlife in their never ending quest for food as their populations skyrocket out of control) but that certainly doesn't mean that most animals carry it.

If they start advertising it is from "animals" then the already greatly suffering domestic dogs and other animals will be slaughtered (or tortured and then slaughtered) by the masses.

Shimon Prokupecz ‏@ShimonPro 3m3 minutes ago
CDC says they're sending contractors to apt. where #ebola patient was staying & woman quarantined to remove "medical waste" @drsanjaygupta

I wonder if CDC would have done anything had the woman not talk to CNN. Yeppers, they're gonna just nip this in the bud. Lucky for us CDC is right on top of this.:rolleyes: And I believe that infected man absolutely knew he was exposed and sick and felt he would die if he stayed in Liberia. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PCook77