JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My other thought is it would be super easy for LE to know what his hair would have been like at various points, their must be enough photos btw Facebook (own and friends), and family that, with their access this would be easy enough to determine. However I find it odd that his friends would be able to specifically remember that the growing of his dreads coincided with the release of the sketches of the Morgan Harrington suspect...without those same friends at that time, have wondered if it could be him?

I'm thankful its been confirmed by another familiar with Cville, because I can't emphasize enough how much I think we have to try to understand Charlottesvilles culture, to understand the motivations, and even law enforcement tactics applied to this case....it is a unique, divided, closed lipped, pseudo-incentious, bubble! It is beautiful! The mountains are stunning! The campus is precious! The Vineyards run into the many dozens! But it is an odd odd little place.

It is interesting then that JM did feel remorse after he lost his temper and hit someone in the face over a driving incident. The man involved, stated:

Wilke contends that no sooner had the violence ended that his aggressor suddenly became contrite and remorseful. And Matthew returned the phone and drove him to the hospital, where, Wilke says, he received two stitches to close a cut on the inside of his lip.

Matthew allegedly told Wilke that he had been feeling angry about getting stiffed by two fares that night and that he was sorry for what he'd done.

"He seemed depressed, maybe even suicidal," says Wilke, who says he felt sympathy for his alleged attacker.

http://wvtf.org/post/charlottesville-journalist-sheds-light-jesse-matthew

Maybe that was just a fluke?

I think the best theory I read on here was he realized if convicted his DNA could possibly go into the database which would have exposed him, potentially.

Self preservation - makes total sense.

QUOTE From Conductor71 on Forensic Thread:
It is interesting then that JM did feel remorse after he lost his temper and hit someone in the face over a driving incident. The man involved, stated:

Wilke contends that no sooner had the violence ended that his aggressor suddenly became contrite and remorseful. And Matthew returned the phone and drove him to the hospital, where, Wilke says, he received two stitches to close a cut on the inside of his lip.

Matthew allegedly told Wilke that he had been feeling angry about getting stiffed by two fares that night and that he was sorry for what he'd done.

"He seemed depressed, maybe even suicidal," says Wilke, who says he felt sympathy for his alleged attacker.

http://wvtf.org/post/charlottesville...-jesse-matthew

END QUOTE FROM CONDUCTOR71
------

My response:
June 4, 2009 was the date. Thinking of what JM might have done prior to that date (e.g. Fairfax rape, maybe other unsolved assaults), did he very quickly realize that an assault charge could mean DNA collection? Could that be why he backpedaled so quickly? Thinking that he's left DNA behind elsewhere, and he needs to make sure the whole lost-his-temper incident goes away? And playing contrite nice guy is the way to make that happen. He knew he had screwed up?

(I'm not good at moving posts/quotes...)

I'm trying to remember when JLM began growing dreads. Friends have said he began growing them after the sketch of the Fairfax perp was released to the public.

He had them, albeit short, in April 2010 according to an article and photo published recently re: women who rode in his taxi at that time. The Fairfax sketch was released again in July 2010 along with the forensic link between Morgan and the Fairfax victim. The shirt was identified as Morgan's in April 2010 but I don't think the sketch accompanied that release at the time.

QUOTE From Conductor71 on Forensic Thread:

http://wvtf.org/post/charlottesville...-jesse-matthew

------

June 4, 2009 was the date. Thinking of what JM might have done prior to that date (e.g. Fairfax rape, maybe other unsolved assaults), did he very quickly realize that an assault charge could mean DNA collection? Could that be why he backpedaled so quickly? Thinking that he's left DNA behind elsewhere, and he needs to make sure the whole lost-his-temper incident goes away? And playing contrite nice guy is the way to make that happen. He knew he had screwed up?

Well, he punched an attorney. Not good. Cops were going to be called. Not good. I think JM knew he was in trouble, not so much that he was sorry that he punched the guy. Though, yeah, even a SK could be sorry for a stupid reaction like that, impulse reaction. The fact is, he did this all in an enclosed arena, where he knew he was going to be held accountable. When he attacked the women he did, there was no one around and he was going to make sure that there would be no charges. I really think there are some more victims out there.

I can't imagine him still having access to FB though. That would be upsetting- to think he had social media access in jail. To JohnTate: I believe there was speculation several weeks ago that JM was on an "ask" website but I don't remember where on earth to find that thread. And again, it was speculation based on some posts at one point. My brain has gotten completely jumbled with a lot of this info now that I've been engrossed in it. And given how many different cases JM is now potentially involved in, this is turning out to be one complicated case to follow. I should have kept a file cabinet. Had some type of filing system at least... I bet the veteran WS'ers actually have some good systems down! :)

Because on Ask there was some LJ posts.

But smebody said it was a totally different LJ.

I agree with TheBunk.

He was remorseful because that is what the situation required to keep his DNA from being taken. IIRC it was when the guy got his phone out to call the police that JLM basically flipped and punched him to get the phone out of his way. Almost like the word police was a trigger and he just snapped.

I really wasn't convinced that they had found Hannah, but now I am. I really hope they found other remains too though, so that some other families can finally get some kind of resolution.

Recall that JLM made a comment on the website or FB for that park in another county? Gee, I can't even remember the name of it. I have also read he posted on MH's find Morgan site. Might he also have commented on some of the online sites that reported on various missing young women? He just seems like the type who would do that and enjoy posting in plain site about crimes only HE knows he committed.

And that rather fits with leaving Morgan's shirt in plain site like he was jabbing at police.

Not sure i should reply here, or in the other thread...but regardless...my thought was;

I've read this too, though I can't remember specifically where, but the sketch was first released 9 years ago after the rape in Fairfax...I'm assuming in the Fairfax area....it wasnt released/circulated widely in Charlottesville, until many many many months after Morgan vanished (i.e. the Fairfax DNA connection was made). I'd have to look it up to be specific but if memory serves me correctly this was roughly the summer/fall of 2010.

My other thought is it would be super easy for LE to know what his hair would have been like at various points, their must be enough photos btw Facebook (own and friends), and family that, with their access this would be easy enough to determine. However I find it odd that his friends would be able to specifically remember that the growing of his dreads coincided with the release of the sketches of the Morgan Harrington suspect...without those same friends at that time, have wondered if it could be him?

I'm thankful its been confirmed by another familiar with Cville, because I can't emphasize enough how much I think we have to try to understand Charlottesvilles culture, to understand the motivations, and even law enforcement tactics applied to this case....it is a unique, divided, closed lipped, pseudo-incentious, bubble! It is beautiful! The mountains are stunning! The campus is precious! The Vineyards run into the many dozens! But it is an odd odd little place.

Actually, friends have reported they DID in fact tell JLM that he looked like sketch and said he began growing dreads shortly thereafter. JMO

I'm just wondering about this timeline. We know he didn't begin growing dreads (according to friends, that is) until the sketch was circulated in 2010 AFTER MH had been found, yet you have a photo of him in full (but shorter) dreads and dark glasses in a bar on Halloween of 2009, just two weeks after MH disappeared.

So I'm tossing these thoughts around;

I'm trying to decide if I think JLM, is a rapist first and foremost, who kills as a means of "disposing evidence".

Or is he a serial killer, who actually gets a thrill off the killing itself?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if he's the type of killer who sees murder as a neccasary means, or as the end game. I understand they sound similar. But I think each point to perhaps slightly different motives, triggers, or mental states.

Either way, in order to carry out such acts, he shows the capability of dehumanizing another person.

The one thing that bothers me so much about this case is that we have been unable to sleuth a user ID for JM. I'm sure he had one and if one could be tied to him there would probably be a lot of information. However, he probably took care to stay incognito. We' ve had a hard time even sleuthing his addresses. I sure would like to know what LE found on his phone or other devices!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

The one thing that bothers me so much about this case is that we have been unable to sleuth a user ID for JM. I'm sure he had one and if one could be tied to him there would probably be a lot of information. However, he probably took care to stay incognito. We' ve had a hard time even sleuthing his addresses. I sure would like to know what LE found on his phone or other devices!

Which social media site are you trying to find a User ID for?

I was going to suggest the same thing, actually. (In fact, I'm kind of a geek with Photoshop, so would happily modify the image for you if you wish.) My thinking is that having a photo of JM at that in his life may help some of the other locals remember him and come forward with any additional details/news/memories. Just a thought.

There are some pics on his old MySpace page:

https://myspace.com/279281669

I don't think JLM is the prolific serial killer envisioned by a number of posters here -- a cunning murderer who routinely used a "dumping ground" for multiple victims, near where Hannah Graham's alleged remains were found. Everything we know about him suggests he is a creature of habit who sticks to the areas most familiar to him, in and around Charlottesville. I don't see him marauding around Virginia and nearby states collecting victims and dumping them just south of Charlottesville. On the contrary, I think Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham (and as a remote possibility, Alexis Murphy) are his only murder victims.

If JLM wanted to remain undetected (which I think he did), why would he regularly kill women and thereby risk being exposed? This is a small town and it surely would have drawn major attention if more women went missing. I live here, and we would certainly have noticed if more women besides Morgan and Alexis had disappeared. Thank God that he has been arrested and we don't have to worry about him prowling the streets anymore.

I'm inclined to agree with this, but the bigger picture still bothers me ...

From what we know about serial killers of this type (the type that approach complete strangers and gain their trust through trickery), they "hunt" repeatedly and carefully before they find the right conditions to strike. So, while I'm also doubtful of more victims -- at least without some concrete evidence -- I'm also reluctant to think that Matthew went four or five years between events. In fact, once these three cases revealed a pattern, my suspicion has been that Matthew has been out hunting dozens of times (maybe hundreds), and that many, many women have fallen into his sights over the years, most unbeknown to the "prey." (Think about that chilling prospect for a moment.) Likewise, other women have probably had encounters with Matthew that, for whatever reason, didn't escalate. (To be honest, I've been expecting to hear reports of such encounters, but I haven't seen anything so far.) In any event, these three incidents were not entirely isolated; that's close to impossible.

On a related point, a sad fact of this kind of serial killer is that they're unlikely to be caught unless they strike again. The identity of Ted Bundy became known to law enforcement only after he botched the abduction of an 18-year-old in Utah in 1974; Marc Evonitz (Silva/Lisk murderer, 1996-97) was identified only after he botched the kidnapping of a 15-year-old in South Carolina in 2002. In Jesse Matthew's case, his abduction of Hannah Graham was very public -- on the downtown mall with cameras everywhere. Even without the videos, there would likely have been witnesses who saw both him and her and connected the dots. But the investigation into the Morgan Harrington and Fairfax cases was otherwise going nowhere. One thinks he might have chosen a less public place; or maybe he had (repeatedly), and it had not worked out.

On that note, I have a question, which goes back to mid-September. How did law enforcement identify Jesse Matthew by name? Did bar employees or patrons recognize him from the videos? Did he use a credit/debit card for his bar tab? I never got that part straight.

Which social media site are you trying to find a User ID for?

No site in particular. I want to know if he had a user name he frequently used. His FB and Myspace seem to be defaults. To me those imply public face. I want to know if he had a user name that he used when he was trying to stay more annonymous.

I'm inclined to agree with this, but the bigger picture still bothers me ...

On that note, I have a question, which goes back to mid-September. How did law enforcement identify Jesse Matthew by name? Did bar employees or patrons identify him from the videos? Did he use a credit/debit card for his bar tab? I never got that part straight.
I am sure people identified him on the surveillance video at the mall, but that is not how Longo phrased it. Longo said the investigation led them to the car, and the car led them to JM. But that doesn't make sense to me. :thinking:

No site in particular. I want to know if he had a user name he frequently used. His FB and Myspace seem to be defaults. To me those imply public face. I want to know if he had a user name that he used when he was trying to stay more annonymous.

Gotcha. I never heard it mentioned here if anyone sleuthed him on POF. I would check right now but I'm at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz