Rape allegations mount against Bill Cosby #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gloria Steinem on consent and sexual assault: “Since when is hearing ‘yes’ a turnoff?”

“Until now, this has been the state of affairs in our nation’s laws on sexual assault. Invading bodies has been taken less seriously by the law than invading private property, even though body-invasion is far more traumatic. This has remained an unspoken bias of patriarchal law. After all, women were property until very recently. In some countries, they still are.”

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/05/glo..._assault_since_when_is_hearing_yes_a_turnoff/

(imo) Not so long ago women were property... curious to see if GS will weigh in on the BC case...

Did she weigh in the the Bill Clinton cases?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/bill-cosby-s-ties-to-d-c-establishments-under-scrutiny-1.2858996

Bill Cosby's ties to D.C. establishments under scrutiny
Cosby a loyal customer of Ben's Chili Bowl for more than 50 years

cosby-ben-s-chili-bowl.jpg

On Tuesday, customers coming in for a warm chili dog on a chilly, drizzly day, expressed the opposite opinion: the mural should stay — for now, at least.
"It would seem premature," said Chris Grey, as his piping-hot dog smothered in a brown scoop of chili awaited him. Ben's might want to take action once Cosby answers the allegations but until or unless he does that, "the jury is still out," said Grey.

"I feel like it's too early to tell and that may be a little drastic," another customer, Jim Peck, said about taking Cosby off the wall.

-No idea TrackerSam, but GS has personal knowledge of the Playboy Bunny Empire...

B&U by me. Statute of limitations?

<snipped>

If the object is to be heard, why a civil suit? They are currently being heard. Money is not a part of being heard.
<snipped>

"Like most feminists, most Americans become concerned about sexual behavior when someone&#8217;s will has been violated; that is, when &#8220;no&#8221; hasn&#8217;t been accepted as an answer."

^^ Thanks for posting this article. I think the difference is consensual affairs vs. drugging & rape.

ETA: another big difference is one apologized and the other has not... imo.

Until this bill, the prevailing standard has been &#8220;no means no.&#8221; If she says no (or, more liberally, indicates any resistance with her body), then the sex is seen as nonconsensual. That is, it&#8217;s rape. Under such a standard, the enormous gray area between &#8220;yes&#8221; and &#8220;no&#8221; is defined residually as &#8220;yes&#8221;: Unless one hears an explicit &#8220;no,&#8221; consent is implied. &#8220;Yes means yes&#8221; completely redefines that gray area. Silence is not consent; it is the absence of consent. Only an explicit &#8220;yes&#8221; can be considered consent.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/o...sensual-sex-on-campus.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...y-title-given-to-cosby/ar-BBgl0Tt?ocid=SMSDHP

I haven't been keeping up, has anyone seen this story? Says that the Navy considers the allegations serious??

edited to say.... I had no idea he had been in the Navy...they took away his promotion! Wow!

Cosby enlisted in the Navy in 1956 and served four years as a hospital corpsman before being honorably discharged in 1960 as a 3rd Class Petty Officer. The honorary title was presented to Cosby in 2011.

:rolleyes:
some of the allegations were already public when they gave him his honorary promotion.

So.... 13 women that accuse you of rape are still negligible, it could happen to anybody, but once you get in the twenties it starts to be a bit embarrassing habit?

^^ Thanks for posting this article. I think the difference is consensual affairs vs. drugging & rape.

ETA: another big difference is one apologized and the other has not... imo.

All of the other BCs were not consensual and I missed the apologies to all the women. Do you have a link?

RSBM:

From your linked article:

(snip)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Navy is revoking Bill Cosby's title of honorary chief petty officer, saying allegations of sexual abuse made against the comedian are serious and conflict with the Navy's core values.

------
bexlex,

Thank you for posting this.

It does appear the Navy considers this serious. I heard something on the news earlier this satellite radio this morning (not sure which channel) and the host said (paraphrasing) "First the Navy, now Bill Cosby...." before going into a segment on Gloria Allred. I inferred it to Tailhook.

And, in its wake, this is the kind of negative publicity the USN would want to distance itself from, from one of its officers, IMVHO.

:notgood:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be right (though I believe the expression in English is "jumping on the bandwagon"; at least it was when I studied the language of persuasion and/or advertising). But when I think of my female friends of the early 1970s, I can remember many who had been raped and yet decided not to pursue her day in court. It was VERY difficult to win such a case back then, and the damage to an accuser's reputation was considerable!

I think we may have heard from only a fraction of the women assaulted by such a powerful man in the decades between 1970 and 2000. Not that I can prove there are more victims, of course, but I will have no trouble believing even more women if they come forward.

Re: bandwagon I'm a more modern person than 1855, origin of jumping on the bandwagon.

Maybe it's time for the other side of the story:
http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/04/bill-...aing-grid7|aol20-os|dl5|sec1_lnk2&pLid=575930

Cosby notes the woman -- who is now 56 years old -- tried to sell the story to the tabloids around 10 years ago but no one bit. So the comedian says it's total BS that she would now say she had a repressed memory, which would allow her to file a civil lawsuit.

The docs say Huth's lawyer demanded $100K for silence, and later increased the demand to $250K as more women came forward.

All of the other BCs were not consensual and I missed the apologies to all the women. Do you have a link?

Good points SStarr: There is the same dynamic about powerful men and the women who “dare to hold them accountable”.

Rape allegations hurt Bill Cosby but sail past Bill Clinton
If Cosby is paying the price today for long-ago alleged transgressions, you can argue that Clinton paid a price for his at the height of his power; his political enemies made sure of that. Yet, as my colleague Jeff Jacoby has — along with other conservative commentators — pointed out over the years, liberals and feminists ardently defend Clinton, arguing that his public policies were more important than his personal principles. Meanwhile, the Clinton spin machine did its best to portray his accusers as “nuts or *advertiser censored*,” employing the classic defense lawyer strategy against women who dare to hold men accountable for their actions.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...ill-clinton/YTIsUoXS2uxrW1mW2JSuRM/story.html

As disillusioned as I remember being over this at the time – Clinton did take responsibility..

I am not a girl or a woman or even heterosexual, so my knowledge of women on "the morning after" is admittedly limited. But I believe some women have indeed turned up pregnant, say, or infected with VD while claiming they have no awareness of having had intercourse. Perhaps some are lying, but I doubt all are.

Deleted; Not worth arguing over a non issue with you as it relates to this thread.

Safety in numbers? What did they think, that Cosby was going to kill them? ...

Drugging someone with "roofies" against their consent is traumatic. This is how one might feel (just to put it in perspective on how these women may feel/felt). You wake up early in the morning with little or no recollection of what happened the previous night. You went out for a drink with an aquaintance that you don't know so well, you remember that you had one drink and that you wanted to get home but everything else is a blur. You wake up with your clothes disheveled/and or off to a man that you barely know who is acting extremely weird. You feel terrified because you don't know this person that well, you are in an unfamiliar place with basically a stranger. You don't remember anything, but you want to get out of there as quickly as possible because this guy could be dangerous. You also have major brain fog and still feel out of sorts. You leave asap and get home.

Thoughts go through you mind, what happened? why can't I remember, did I drink too much? Who is that guy? Did he steal anything from me? omg he could have killed me...did he rape me? did he film/take pics? did someone else violate me? Why am I sore? Why was I so careless? Why can't I remember? So after a few days you are dumbfounded, and likely talk to your closest friend/friends/family. And they tell you to call this person to find out what happened? (b/c it doesn't yet register that someone roofied you). You call and the guy is weird and says nothing basically. You discuss with your closest friend again and think maybe the guy drugged you and you are lucky to be alive (because that is twisted and dangerous for someone to do to another person, because victim could die and has no ability to fight or call for help). Of course you never want to talk the guy again and you don't go to police because you don't know what happened to you or people won't believe you (and if the guy isn't charged he could come after you). And it still weighs on you 10 years, 20 years, 30 years later because it's one of the scariest things to happen to a girl/guy being roofied without consent or knowledge and violated/raped in ways you don't know. You try to forget about but see on the news that the guy who violated you is accused of violating someone else. And now what do you do? You speak up because it confirms what you have been trying to suppress for years. And this criminal did it to someone else and you don't want it to happen to other women. That's why women/men who have been roofied/raped talk when there is safety in numbers because empathy, common experience, healing and you don't want others to suffer the fear and pain that you did. And no, this hypo is not a scenario where one drinks too much and has a 1-night stand. JMO and thoughts
Here is one man's horror story of being drugged and raped.
My own rape shows how much we get wrong about these attacks
By Richard Morgan July 1
http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...ws-how-badly-we-stereotype-perps-and-victims/

I think that victims feel safe telling their story when they know they are others with the same story. They are "safe" from being disbelieved. There's a difference between being a lone voice, making accusations against a pillar of the entertainment industry - talk about requiring courage! - and telling your story along with other women who have suffered the same un believable nightmarish experience at the hand of the same man. I'm sure this is why some folks join support groups - there are people there who have suffered similarly, who can be empathetic, who won't judge or disbelieve. This too would be considered a "safe" environment.

imo

For the life of me I cannot figure out what Bill Clinton has to do with this thread topic.

Cosby strikes back at accuser: She tried to extort him

5:47 p.m. EST December 4, 2014

Bill Cosby's lawyers have struck back at one of his accusers in court, declaring that she tried to extort him for a quarter-million dollars and that she attempted to sell her story to a tabloid a decade ago.

If so, it would undermine the lawsuit Judy Huth filed against Cosby on Tuesday in California, claiming he molested her at the Playboy Mansion 40 years ago when she was 15.

In a court filing Thursday by Cosby's attorney, Martin Singer, is seeking dismissal of Huth's lawsuit and monetary damages, according to The Associated Press.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/12/04/cosby-strikes-back-at-accuser-she-tried-to-extort-him/19907997/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member