What are your theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would probably help if we stopped calling them the two Carolines. The first name barely looks like Caroline and the second name doesn't look like Caroline at all. It looks like Corrine.

How about the two young ladies on the note?

Woah - you mentioned Greenbelt Park, and that struck something with me. Greenbelt park used to have a golf course and I don't know if it still does, but that weird redditt post that "Caroline T" hung out with GD at a golf course near RFK stadium now makes sense if it's true.

Originally I ruled it out because I thought "no way there's a golf course near RFK stadium... that's a bad part of southeast DC!" but Greenbelt park is not THAT far and it makes sense.

Langston Golf Course is less than one mile by foot from RFK Stadium. In fact, the north lot borders this golf course. It is VERY close.

Since they weren't letting anyone camp overnight in the lot, security at RFK handed out maps to Greenbelt Park for camping. That's how we ended up there.

It would probably help if we stopped calling them the two Carolines. The first name barely looks like Caroline and the second name doesn't look like Caroline at all. It looks like Corrine.

I respectfully disagree. Compare the a's and o's with the rest of the note. The only possible difference I can see in the names is that O. might be D. Otherwise, I am very, very confident that they are both Caroline. Although it doesn't necessarily mean anything, the fact that they put their last initials also makes it more likely, in my opinion, that they had the same first name.

I respectfully disagree. Compare the a's and o's with the rest of the note. The only possible difference I can see in the names is that O. might be D. Otherwise, I am very, very confident that they are both Caroline. Although it doesn't necessarily mean anything, the fact that they put their last initials also makes it more likely, in my opinion, that they had the same first name.

For several years I authenticated autographs on sports memorabilia. And while I respect your opinion, I do strongly disagree, and here's why. If you examine every lower case "A" on that note, in every example the downstroke returns all the way down to the baseline -- all except on the second "Caroline" -- where the downstroke leaves the letter near the top, just like the "O" in "around". And if this second name is indeed "Caroline", it is entirely missing a discernible "O" and "L" -- which would make it the only example of a word in the entire note that is missing letters in that fashion.

In addition, when it comes to a person's autograph -- we write our names constantly. It would be unusual for someone named Caroline to butcher writing the name Caroline. It just isn't likely. Writing our names is one of those things we can all do in our sleep.

I do want to add that the copy we all have seen is terrible for analysis. To be certain of any of my findings I would have to examine the original document, which is impossible. So I guess this remains a mystery too.

For several years I authenticated autographs on sports memorabilia. And while I respect your opinion, I do strongly disagree, and here's why. If you examine every lower case "A" on that note, in every example the downstroke returns all the way down to the baseline -- all except on the second "Caroline" -- where the downstroke leaves the letter near the top, just like the "O" in "around". And if this second name is indeed "Caroline", it is entirely missing a discernible "O" and "L" -- which would make it the only example of a word in the entire note that is missing letters in that fashion.

In addition, when it comes to a person's autograph -- we write our names constantly. It would be unusual for someone named Caroline to butcher writing the name Caroline. It just isn't likely. Writing our names is one of those things we can all do in our sleep.

I do want to add that the copy we all have seen is terrible for analysis. To be certain of any of my findings I would have to examine the original document, which is impossible. So I guess this remains a mystery too.

Is it possible that the first Caroline tried to sign the note differently the second time to make it appear that both Carolines had sign it. (Yes, this is something I would do and have done ). Or is it possible that a second person signed the note.

IMO I dont think the c, r, o, e match but the a, l, i, n do. http://image1.findagrave.com/photos/2010/147/52954852_127507771782.jpg

I'm leaning toward the first Caroline signed both names but tried to change her writing.

I'm more inclined to believe that the person who wrote the note was named Caroline and when she wrote the second name it was so close to her own, and she was writing in such haste, that she made mistakes writing a different name. By habit she's always writing Caroline, but then when she wanted to write Corrine or Carrie her muscle memory defied her.

After grading thousands of essays and pages worth of unintelligible chicken-scratch, I've developed a keen knack for deciphering handwriting in a holistic fashion. For what it's worth, I'm almost positive that both names are "Caroline." The second one does sort of look like "Corrine" when examined on its own. But when compared to the first name, the characters are identical. The unique way she connects the "rol" above is replicated below, but slurred in such a way that it looks like "rr" at first glance. The second one looks like it was written a little faster, having more of a slant. The top stroke of the second "a" is higher because of this, but to me it still clearly reads "a" rather than "o" or anything else.

I can kinda agree with that the second signature was written quickly but it brings me back to this.

My name is Kimberly. I have several friends named Kimberly. On occasions when I had to write a note for two of us I would sign for ex Kimberly F. and Kimberly W. and try to make the signatures look a bit different. If the person happened to know us as Kimberly and say Kimmy, I just would have signed it Kimberly and Kimmy without last initials because while the names are quite similar they are not the same and no need to distinguish between the two.

But who knows on a 20 year old note.

IMO

I think they are both Caroline. That's the name I see when I look at the note. Like MizKim said, they used the last initial to tell them apart. Why would they need the initial otherwise?

I can't see the note helping us out at this point.

I'm having trouble with the timeline of events on 6/25 and 6/26. The distance between Fairfax and Williamsburg and Emporia don't match up with what I've read about Eric the driver's timeline leading up to the 1:30 am June 26th car crash. Is there a good timeline thread anywhere? I'm working a new theory in my head because it is starting to make less sense to me.

I read that Eric left Fairfax at 7:30 am, then was in Williamsburg around noon. It's a 2.5 he drive. Then they died at 1:30 am in Emporia. A 2 hour drive from Williamsburg.

Did Eric go north to the concert at RFK and meet Jason there before driving south through Virginia again?

Please correct my timeline because it's not making sense and I assume I read it wrong along the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they weren't both Caroline, why would they have signed with last initials? The only reason that I can think of is that they would sign with last name initials to help GD distinguish between the two of them. As a nursing student who has to read a lot of scribbles from doctor's notes, it looks like both say Caroline to me.

I'm having trouble with the timeline of events on 6/25 and 6/26. The distance between Fairfax and Williamsburg and Emporia don't match up with what I've read about Eric the driver's timeline leading up to the 1:30 am June 26th car crash. Is there a good timeline thread anywhere? I'm working a new theory in my head because it is starting to make less sense to me.

I read that Eric left Fairfax at 7:30 am, then was in Williamsburg around noon. It's a 2.5 he drive. Then they died at 1:30 am in Emporia. A 2 hour drive from Williamsburg.

Did Eric go north to the concert at RFK and meet Jason there before driving south through Virginia again?

Please correct my timeline because it's not making sense and I assume I read it wrong along the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was working on a timeline before the 1st new picture appeared. Same reason as you, things just didn't match up. Then I found out that 1:30 A.M. mentioned on some of the sites IS WRONG! . It happened at 1:30 P.M.

I was actually starting from scratch due to so much bad information on the time and other so called facts. When you change the time of the accident to 1:30 P.M. things line up pretty neatly.

It's also possible one or both of the Carolines (or note ladies ;) ) lived at home and used a fake name. My daughter's name starts with a D and I sometimes just call her D. I can see her using the name Dee if she were to meet a guy and hang out but not want him to be able to track her down. Actually, I can't see her doing that, but I can see myself doing that when I was her age.

The girls may have been transients, so they may have just met him.

The human map, I definitely agree that she could have used an alias. Many girls do that when they are asked to give their phone number out to a stranger.

The human map, I definitely agree that she could have used an alias. Many girls do that when they are asked to give their phone number out to a stranger.

This reminds me of a time I was out with some friends and two of them got chatting to a guy. He asked one of them their name while the other was in the ladies room and she picked a fake one (I think Sarah) only for the other one to then come back and also give the same fake name. :lol:

If they weren't both Caroline, why would they have signed with last initials? The only reason that I can think of is that they would sign with last name initials to help GD distinguish between the two of them. As a nursing student who has to read a lot of scribbles from doctor's notes, it looks like both say Caroline to me.

I think your question is the most logical one - and points to the simple answer that they would use last name initials to distinguish between the two of them. The only other answer would be if they were in AA because that's common, however this would be a less logical conclusion and I don't think it's something we should pursue. I've met a few young people in AA but only a few, and none were younger than 17 or 18.

That certainly makes sense and I won't argue with your logic. I think my main point is that we don't really have enough evidence to conclude with certainty that both names are Caroline. It may strongly lean that way, but to me it isn't enough. Another part of this that bothers me is that the name Caroline was a particularly unpopular name during that time. From the 50's until the late 80's there was never more than 1,000 babies named Caroline per one million births. It was unusual to find one person named Caroline in her late teens or twenties in 1995, never mind two of them who were associated with one another.

http://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-caroline-873.htm

Caroline was a particularly unpopular name during that time. From the 50's until the late 80's there was never more than 1,000 babies named Caroline per one million births. It was unusual to find one person named Caroline in her late teens or twenties in 1995, never mind two of them who were associated with one another.

http://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-caroline-873.htm

Unusual, but not at all unbelievable. If the above numbers are about right, the chance of Caroline meeting another would be one in a thousand. Sharing an unusual name could have been part of why they initially bonded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BISHWHETT