WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this case would benefit from a social media campaign, like what was done recently in the Grateful Dead Fan's case? One person put it on Reddit and now I think it's close to being solved.

I wonder if this case would benefit from a social media campaign, like what was done recently in the Grateful Dead Fan's case? One person put it on Reddit and now I think it's close to being solved.

I saw it on Reddit. I wish people over at his WS board the best of luck with the photo leads, I believe 100% that it's him - no doubt about it.

I think it's him too. Everything just fits.

In Lyle's case, I think it would be more difficult because there is even less to go on. At least with Grateful Dead Fan they knew he liked Grateful Dead, had been at certain concerts, and so forth. With Lyle, where would we start? Also, I'm not social media savvy, I'm kind of an old-lady (well, sort of) and other than FB, I don't use any of them. But perhaps if there is enough interest we could combine our efforts and try a few things?

I think it's him too. Everything just fits.

In Lyle's case, I think it would be more difficult because there is even less to go on. At least with Grateful Dead Fan they knew he liked Grateful Dead, had been at certain concerts, and so forth. With Lyle, where would we start? Also, I'm not social media savvy, I'm kind of an old-lady (well, sort of) and other than FB, I don't use any of them. But perhaps if there is enough interest we could combine our efforts and try a few things?

For starters, we have possible locations that took him to Grays Harbor. One of which you can enter from Canada (Port Angeles) and the other one I'm not totally sure (Aberdeen), a "last seen alive" date where he would have had more contact with people than the days after, and his handwriting samples.

One of the reasons I took notice of Lyle was that he is a look-alike for one of my sister's old boyfriends. I actually had to do a bit of a search to confirm that he was still alive. He's 100% Italian.

The possible weight loss that Lyle had experienced is something I think about - perhaps people don't recognize him because he was thinner than normal when he died?

One of the reasons I took notice of Lyle was that he is a dead ringer for one of my sister's old boyfriends. I actually had to do a bit of a search to confirm that he was still alive. He's 100% Italian.

The possible weight loss that Lyle had experienced is something I think about - perhaps people don't recognize him because he was thinner than normal when he died?

Do we absolutely know for sure that the Italian guy whose Facebook post said he was found dead in the US wasn't Lyle? Did they just accept that it was him without contacting US authorities, or something like that?

Do we absolutely know for sure that the Italian guy whose Facebook post said he was found dead in the US wasn't Lyle? Did they just accept that it was him without contacting US authorities, or something like that?

Yeah and I'm not being very precise. I'm looking for the posts but can't find them yet...

Is this the post / guy you all are thinking of?

Discussion on Lyles FB page about Fabrizio de Angelis, he does look very much like him. Does anyone know if he has been ruled out?

Post #756

ETA: There is some discussion about Fabrizio on this FB post: https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=526230690768530&story_fbid=637389442985987

At the very bottom of this web page it says the Doe Network contacted his family and the family said he had been located deceased.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t68150.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if 'Lyle' had consciously considered that the pseudonym he chose contained, (when spoken), the word 'lie'?
(That is if it really was an assumed name.)
Perhaps, given the literary nature of this potential alias, his using of it might reflect that he had some type of training in either the field of linguistics or literature?
Maybe, he was sick of living a lie?
I wonder if he ever used this name anywhere else?

I wonder if 'Lyle' had consciously considered that the pseudonym he chose contained, (when spoken), the word 'lie'?
(That is if it really was an assumed name.)
Perhaps, given the literary nature of this potential alias, his using of it might reflect that he had some type of training in either the field of linguistics or literature?
Maybe, he was sick of living a lie?
I wonder if he ever used this name anywhere else?[/QUOTE]

That is a very intriguing question, and a good lead to follow....

http://www.co.grays-harbor.wa.us/info/Coroner/ActiveCases.html
rbbm.

"On September 16, 2001, an unidentified male died at a motel in the Lake Quinault area. The gentleman appeared to be in his 20’s. He was 6 foot 1 inch in height and weighed 130 to 140 pounds. He had black hair and hazel/green eyes. He appeared to be of Caucasian/African or Caucasian/Native American descent. He had a surgical scar and his appendix may have been removed. He registered under the name of: Lyle Stevik, of Meridian, Idaho. The dental chart and DNA profile of this gentleman are available"

As for the note, I wonder if he wrote it because he wanted those who found him to understand that his act was certainly a suicide and that there was no foul play involved, in an effort to stop any potential for publicity because he didn't want anyone who knew him to know what had become of him?
The theory that he had lost a lot of weight, as indicated by the belt holes, might also have been part of this strategy as a way of disguising himself, because those who he knew may only have known him as being larger.
If this is the case and he did not want to be identified then the effort he went to indicates that someone may well be looking for him.
Desk clerks at motels stock in trade is the human being, and by the very nature of their work they would inevitably become very good at picking up on things like the noticing of a slight accent. Obviously, Lyle said very little when registering, and I wonder if the possibly Canadian accent was an example of a non native English speaker trying to make his voice sound as though he had an American accent?
The close proximity to 9/11 also makes me wonder, could Lyle have been one of the people who had been intended to hijack flight 93 and who had given up on the idea, only to see that this flight failed to reach its target?
The reason I ask is that all the other flights had 5 hijackers and flight 93 had only 4 and was the only one to fail.
If Lyle were the potential fifth hijacker then his guilt for failing his 'brothers' and his mission, combined with the knowledge that due to his association with the plot he would inevitably be hounded until captured in the US and could never return home because of the shame he had brought upon his family and this may well have been the weight that drove him to suicide.

This may be true, but if it were the case then there would still be a wanted 9/11 hijacker out there. As far as I know, there isn't.

If there were/are any, task forces would be concentrating their efforts in the Middle East.

I don't believe Lyle had any sort of connection to 9/11, just purely coincidental dates. I think he snapped long before, and was numbering the days until he could actually act on his emotions. I'm starting to believe that maybe his destination was chosen out of frustration. Maybe he was frustrated by people trying to convince him that "it will get better", that life is "worth living" rather than trying to help him. Maybe the people he knew think that he's sought help, and is living happily somewhere and doesn't want contact with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member