Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with many things you stated. There is no way I am dispassionate. It was inadequate justice. Still, to wish her torture for her days yet on earth (and watch it) is disturbing.
I didn't see anyone wishing to watch her tortured, but if you want to count being blasted by a fire hose on that list, I'll have to give you a point, but I would also ask, again, not to take what is said so rigidly and literal, and instead see the emotion and tension releasing sentiment beneath the words, along with their hypothetical, harmless, and symbolic intention.

Exactly, that money is going to run out someday, and then Jodi will have to survive on her own, and that's something she's never been good at, and has known herself it's something she had better avoid, at the cost until now of everyone around her.

JA will also lose a lot of her funds to restitution. Her paycheck as well: something like 50%. This means she could be cleaning toilets 40 hours per week at $.05 an hour net. Bwahahaha!

BBM - Okay, she might be fearful, but I really don't care. You're saying that she put herself in this position, so what is your point? How do you think any of us here at WS can influence how fearful she is?

BBM2 - Yes, it is a joke (to most of us, anyway). No-one wants a PPV of Jodi. I can barely stand to look at the psychopath, and I'm sure many posters here feel the same way. I am sick of the carp that she's gotten away with since she savagely tortured Travis Alexander to death. JMO.

I personally would not give her the pleasure of knowing people can view her 24/7. Imagine? Her being viewed 24/7 would feed right into her demented, narcissistic self. No thanks. The handstands and garbage snooping was enough for me.

I agree with many things you stated. There is no way I am dispassionate. It was inadequate justice. Still, to wish her torture for her days yet on earth (and watch it) is disturbing.

I doubt many actually wish torture per se, that's why most are in favour of lethal injection rather than the old method of stoning, but for me, I also don't want her to live the privileged life it now appears she's been living the past 7 years; getting to wear regular "drycleaned" clothes, makeup, $100/wk to spend on frikkin junk food, video chats and calls up the wazoo, 3 Million for a defense team, ability to run multiple businesses while incarcerated, etc., instead of what she should have been getting; 23 hr lockdown, basic jail fare, jail clothes, reasonable access to counsel, limited social contact, etc. All this while TA hasn't had any life at all and what he did have she was allowed to drag through the mud, besmirching him and his character for literally 7 years after having already viciously murdered him in what has been deemed to be an especially cruel/heinous manner.

If people want "proof" that she will now finally receive "justice", I can't blame them.

Okay, I'll cut her (the butchering murderess) a little slack. Instead of wishing for her to be tortured by bugs and mice, I just want her to experience the constant nightmares that Stephen has had to suffer through. Now there is punishment!! I for one will never forget his VIS. So sad!!

Hi All,

I got to thinking about this Juror 17 possible misconduct/stealth/whatever issue and this is an analogy that I came up with.

First off, they had one clear and simple decision--do the aggravators in this trial outweigh the mitigators (or vice versa)? I know not really simple but they weren't there to decide the merits of the death penalty, if Jodi Arias deserved to die, etc. They were to weigh those factors side by side and say which side outweighs the other. It the mitigator list did not outweigh the aggravator list, the sentence they were to render was Death. Plain and simple. This juror, from all I've put together, seems to have refused to do that task. She went on "feelings", what Jodi Arias looked like, "revenge" and other unrelated issues from the task at hand.

She was also not to consider whether Travis Alexander was a bad person and deserved to die. That was on neither list although what the defense primarily based their case on throughout hoping to get an errant juror to sway from their duty. And they did (unless there was something else nefarious going on which I'm entirely suspicious of personally--time will tell).

It's like they were handed two bushels--one was apples, the other oranges. They were to make one decision only--which of these baskets has the freshest fruit. That would require going through each of the pieces of apples and oranges and determining their degree of freshness. Let's take it a step further and say the oranges were just picked, juicy, fragrant and full of their orangey goodness. The apple bushel contained many which were bruised, rotting and full of worms although a few fresh ones were sprinkled in.

The group decides to take all the fruit out and line it up and look at each piece and see, overall, which 'weighs out" as the freshest overall. They count, they turn them around in their hand, they smell them, they take the time to be clear on their determination even though at the outset it might seem obvious.

Then there is Juror 17 who refuses to look at any of the pieces of fruit with them. She stands back by herself saying she likes apples. She thinks apples get a bad rap generally so she's on the side of apples. And she thinks the oranges get it too easy so apples, in any condition, are better than oranges. The rest of the group asks her to come and look at all the apples, show them why she thinks they are "better" or "more fresh" , convince them that the apple bushel is the freshest. They even beg her to make her case to them so they can understand her affinity for those apples.

She refuses to participate in this and says they are "attacking her" over her deep love and preference for apples. She feels that they are the freshest so in her mind, they will the bushel she votes for no matter what. She won't even look at the oranges much less pick one up and smell it. In fact, she kind of resents the oranges for wanting to 'win" as she feels pity for the apples thinking someone should champion for them so that's what she's going to do no matter what. Besides her brother once fell out of an orange tree and broke his arm so she's never cared much for oranges since he had to go to the hospital over that.

She hangs up the entire judging firmly refusing to look at the fruit but determining based on her predetermined preferences that this is the way she's going to vote.

Then she goes home, reaches in to her own fruit bowl and takes a smiling bite of a ripe juicy apple, looks back at it and sees the back end of a wiggling worm right in the center, chomped in half by her own teeth. She doesn't even spit it out, because she thinks that somehow, some way she can still make a case for that apple while she prepares her law$uit against the worm.

The End.
Excellent analogy, and I think the real basis for the other juror's frustrations, and not just that she had an opinion different than their own. They took their task too seriously not to have been frustrated by the one who apparently did not.

https://mylifeofcrime.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/marissadevault-prison-mug.jpg ... As Marissa DeVault's Perryville mugshot shows, JA will soon be wearing a high-necked, bright orange uniform. JA briefly wore an orange uniform in the Yreka jail, but it had a white "undershirt" at her face/upper chest area: https://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress...oto-siskyiou-county-sheriffs-office.jpg?w=389. Not so at Perryville where it's all orange, which JA will really hate.

Plus, she'll only be issued very minimal items and will have to buy the rest herself! Has anyone got an AZ commissary price list for prison orange apparel?

Do they send their clothes to an on-site laundry (cause they aren't allowed to wash them in their sinks)? That means Jodi will have to buy enough extra sets of clothes so some can be in the wash. Plus, I believe there are limits on how many extra items can be owned.

I'm loving the very idea of Jodi spending her cash on orange apparel that she's required to own!

Her victim wasn't a snitch though she just claimed he was. He was a disabled man. Judging by her prison record she'll be in solitery for a long time and won't be anywhere near Jodi.
Her victim had a family just like Travis did. I'm not throwing rocks but please have a look at what this woman did.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/04/angela_simpson_gets_life_in_pr.php

I'm tired of hearing people talking about this monster like she's going to be some sort of avenging angel who will make Jodi pay. With any luck Angela Simpson will spend her days locked away from all human life.

IIRC, AS had a lot more legitimate mitigators than JA. No remorse, though. She also seems bizarrely self-aware, unlike Jodi. They will both be in Perryville a loooooooong time. Sooner or later, they'll be thrown in together.

I wanted the DP but am pleased with the potential outcome of LWOP. Still, I am taken aback when people want and dream of PPV of CMJA in her cell, etc. It's just bad. She is among the worst of the worst, and she should be punished. What startles me is when people view this as entertainment, like PPV of her being punished. It's just wrong. Lock her up and pray for her soul. If she has money on the books for whatever, so what. It's not like she is going anywhere. The dream of watching her torment in a cell is not right, no matter what she did, that doesn't make it right for you to enjoy that horror that will be her life. She did it; she earned it; I'm not saying lessen her sentence. I'm saying for someone to enjoy it and even entertain the idea of watching her 24/7 imprisoned in her cell is crazy wrong.

I think people are mostly joking around when they post like that--no one really wants to see her ugly mug on TV or anywhere else, to be honest. We are just glad she is finally getting some proper treatment behind bars because up to now it has been more like a country club for her.

As far as praying for her soul well, I would, but she doesn't have one. I am not being snarky here--I really believe this killer has no soul. And that is not something I say of all killers either. She and that one in Florida seems almost non-human, as if they are possessed or something.

My guess is she needed time to talk via video phone to as many supporters as time allowed to keep the money flow coming in, and anything else she could rally her supporters to do. She knew it was her last chance before being sent off to Perryville and not having that privilege. That's why she is so mad. She didn't get the chance put those affairs all in order. Lol

She will also cause more pain and suffering to the Alexanders. It will also drain more money from them in coming back and having to see prisoner Arais.

IIRC, AS had a lot more legitimate mitigators than JA. No remorse, though. She also seems bizarrely self-aware, unlike Jodi. They will both be in Perryville a loooooooong time. Sooner or later, they'll be thrown in together.
I doubt she's more self-aware than Jodi, she's just decided to use her self awareness as a bargaining chip in public commerce, whereas Jodi has taken the more common route of concealing it to have the advantage in unpredictability.

It is very odd that j17 accuses the others of "revenge". "Avenge" would be a better term to use for the other jurors, I.e, "the juors wanted to avenge the murder of Travis".

Revenge is such a personal term, it's almost as if j17 was projecting. Here is the dictionary definition for "revenge".

REVENGE

rəˈvenj/
noun

1. the action of inflicting hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong suffered at their hands.
"other spurned wives have taken public revenge on their husbands"

synonyms: vengeance, retribution, retaliation, reprisal, requital, recrimination, an eye for an eye (and a tooth for a tooth), redress, satisfaction

"she is seeking revenge"

You can get "society's use of the death penalty is a form of revenge", but that would be from a text that's fairly philosophical (and therefore complex). It would belong in the realm of social justice or a discussion of the Old Testament or René Girard's Violence and the Sacred. From what I can tell, J17 would not be up to wading through this kind of material. Trust me, it's very difficult: there aren't a whole lot of people who can casually dip into Girard and come away with a glimpse of understanding. I imagine J17 was coached about what to say or what to believe, and that someone gave her the vocabulary.

Excellent post with your questions. May I add- Why didn't she explain to the rest of the jurors to get them to go to Her side for Life? Think about it, if you were the only one standing firm, why not try to get the rest of the jury to come to your side?

You are so right!! Why not??!! I guess its b/c she new she didn't have to... Her "job" was done!

But you are absolutely right!! In my opinion, anyone, with truly good intentions, would use that opportunity to share their opinions (I think they call it deliberating?), at least I would. I would want it to go on the record that I gave good soild reasons for basing my decision...

de·lib·er·ate
verb
gerund or present participle: deliberating
diˈlibəˌrāt/

1. engage in long and careful consideration.

"she deliberated over the menu"

2. consider (a question) carefully.

"jurors deliberated the fate of those charged"

synonyms: think about/over, ponder, consider, contemplate, reflect on, muse on, meditate on, ruminate on, mull over, give thought to, brood over, dwell on, think on

"she deliberated on his words"

I am one who hopes she does suffer on a daily basis. That's what prison is for, not a country club for murderers. The fact she has shown zero remorse and continues to torture the Alexander's is enough for me to root for daily misery, roaches included

Nurmi asked for thirty days so that Jodi can get her affairs in order, or something close to that. Haha she wont be doing that now.

Must be her romantic affairs. What other kind of "affairs" would a prison princess have to get in order? Pack her paper bags? Get a dry-run for her hair-shirt orange togs? Load up on Hershey bars? Divvy up her loot (she surely can't take this with her)?

Kathy I love your analogy. Your writing style is always a cut above. I can't wait for your book. ♥ ♥ ♥

Hi All,

I got to thinking about this Juror 17 possible misconduct/stealth/whatever issue and this is an analogy that I came up with.

First off, they had one clear and simple decision--do the aggravators in this trial outweigh the mitigators (or vice versa)? I know not really simple but they weren't there to decide the merits of the death penalty, if Jodi Arias deserved to die, etc. They were to weigh those factors side by side and say which side outweighs the other. It the mitigator list did not outweigh the aggravator list, the sentence they were to render was Death. Plain and simple. This juror, from all I've put together, seems to have refused to do that task. She went on "feelings", what Jodi Arias looked like, "revenge" and other unrelated issues from the task at hand.

She was also not to consider whether Travis Alexander was a bad person and deserved to die. That was on neither list although what the defense primarily based their case on throughout hoping to get an errant juror to sway from their duty. And they did (unless there was something else nefarious going on which I'm entirely suspicious of personally--time will tell).

It's like they were handed two bushels--one was apples, the other oranges. They were to make one decision only--which of these baskets has the freshest fruit. That would require going through each of the pieces of apples and oranges and determining their degree of freshness. Let's take it a step further and say the oranges were just picked, juicy, fragrant and full of their orangey goodness. The apple bushel contained many which were bruised, rotting and full of worms although a few fresh ones were sprinkled in.

The group decides to take all the fruit out and line it up and look at each piece and see, overall, which 'weighs out" as the freshest overall. They count, they turn them around in their hand, they smell them, they take the time to be clear on their determination even though at the outset it might seem obvious.

Then there is Juror 17 who refuses to look at any of the pieces of fruit with them. She stands back by herself saying she likes apples. She thinks apples get a bad rap generally so she's on the side of apples. And she thinks the oranges get it too easy so apples, in any condition, are better than oranges. The rest of the group asks her to come and look at all the apples, show them why she thinks they are "better" or "more fresh" , convince them that the apple bushel is the freshest. They even beg her to make her case to them so they can understand her affinity for those apples.

She refuses to participate in this and says they are "attacking her" over her deep love and preference for apples. She feels that they are the freshest so in her mind, they will the bushel she votes for no matter what. She won't even look at the oranges much less pick one up and smell it. In fact, she kind of resents the oranges for wanting to 'win" as she feels pity for the apples thinking someone should champion for them so that's what she's going to do no matter what. Besides her brother once fell out of an orange tree and broke his arm so she's never cared much for oranges since he had to go to the hospital over that.

She hangs up the entire judging firmly refusing to look at the fruit but determining based on her predetermined preferences that this is the way she's going to vote.

Then she goes home, reaches in to her own fruit bowl and takes a smiling bite of a ripe juicy apple, looks back at it and sees the back end of a wiggling worm right in the center, chomped in half by her own teeth. She doesn't even spit it out, because she thinks that somehow, some way she can still make a case for that apple while she prepares her law$uit against the worm.

The End.

As I posted upthread today, JSS is not doing a presentence report. From the latest minute entry:

JSS has probably heard all she needs already. I'll bet the last thing she wants to do is read another plea/report/testimonial that has anything to do with Jodi Arias. She was done with this a long time ago, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike