TX Shots fired at a free-speech "draw Muhammad " event in Garland TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we take a moment to celebrate with some levity that surely this had to be the shortest lived, least successful jihad of all time?

No, levity is not permitted. Didn't you read Wilders' speech? "In 1979, ayatollah Khomeini devoted an entire radio broadcast to this topic: 'Allah did not create man so that he could have fun,' the ayatollah said. 'There are no jokes in Islam," he added. "There is no humor in Islam. There is no fun in Islam.'"

Because even the worst of free speech is protected. You don't have to agree with what she says, but thankfully, she has the right to say it. And while I don't agree with everything she says, she is a champion of free speech because she is saying what she wishes despite how unpopular it might be or what danger it may put her in. The fact it puts her in danger is the problem, not whether we like what she says.

Absolutely. Those who voice an unpopular view that puts them in physical danger are the strongest champions of free speech.

Those who criticize the speech itself but express no condemnation of extremists who use violence to suppress speech.... those are the enemies of free speech.

Committing violence against people for merely exercising their right of free speech is never justified. Never. Whether you agree or disagree with the ideas expressed, if you support freedom of speech and freedom of expression, you support the right of others to express their ideas, and you condemn those who use violence to suppress speech.

No, levity is not permitted. Didn't you read Wilders' speech? "In 1979, ayatollah Khomeini devoted an entire radio broadcast to this topic: 'Allah did not create man so that he could have fun,' the ayatollah said. 'There are no jokes in Islam," he added. "There is no humor in Islam. There is no fun in Islam.'"

bbm, That and female genitalia mutilation leaves me out. jmo idk

bbm, That and female genitalia mutilation leaves me out. jmo idk

FGM is an African thing not a Muslim thing. The vast majority of Islam does not practice it; it is widely practiced in Egypt but they are on the African continent and the custom came from other tribes further south (non-Muslim tribes).

You know it's really upsetting to me that there are not more people in this thread. Maybe it's because it happened 30 minutes from where I live. But a terrorist attack in our country, big or small, is huge news to me. And the fact it happened while people were practicing a fundamental American right makes it such an attack on American values. Where is the outrage??

You know it's really upsetting to me that there are not more people in this thread. Maybe it's because it happened 30 minutes from where I live. But a terrorist attack in our country, big or small, is huge news to me. And the fact it happened while people were practicing a fundamental American right makes it such an attack on American values. Where is the outrage??

A terrorist attack on American soil — yet it seems that some think the most appropriate response is to criticize people for exercising their fundamental right to free speech.

From the CNN interview:

Interviewer: People say there's a fine line between freedom of speech and being intentionally incendiary and provocative.

Pam Geller: Intentionally incendiary and provocative by drawing a cartoon.... This is the low state of freedom of speech in this country.

Freedom of speech. Either you support it, or you don't.

You have no idea how much I would love to close the bank account that america has with other countries and the money that is given out, I would love to have that control, just one year of closed purse strings to the world. It would be a hoot. :)jmo idk

Pamela Geller Battles CNN Host over Garland Shooting: Why Is Media ‘Targeting’ Us?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/pamela-g...r-garland-shooting-why-is-media-targeting-us/

Excellent video, it spoke right to the heart of the matter. What it said to me was, if I exercise my right to free speech and that free speach is provocative to you, then I should not say it - when in truth, you may be provoked by my exercising free speech, but there is no right for you to murder me for it, and if I don't want to be murdered, I need to curtail my first amendment right or face the consequences.

:cow:

A terrorist attack on American soil — yet it seems that some think the most appropriate response is to criticize people for exercising their fundamental right to free speech.

From the CNN interview:

Interviewer: People say there's a fine line between freedom of speech and being intentionally incendiary and provocative.

Pam Geller: Intentionally incendiary and provocative by drawing a cartoon.... This is the low state of freedom of speech in this country.

Freedom of speech. Either you support it, or you don't.

I'm fairly certain that almost everyone in America, Australia etc. believes that free speech includes the right to speak incendiary and provocative words without the consequence of violence. However, Gellers, Wilders and others put themselves in a group that a lot of people don't want to identify with. Like it or not, people aren't going to rush to their side. But that doesn't mean their detractors are anti free speech or anti freedom.

I do not think that our nation is going to end up under sharia...but neither do I think we should have to censor our speech just to keep one religion from being offended. As is usual in the US if you are offended well hey, no one says YOU have to listen/look at the offending speech.

Are there peaceful Muslims who are unfairly harrassed? Sure. And violence AGAINST Muslims should not be tolerated either...but that does not mean they get handled differently than anyone else here. You want special treatment for your religion, move to a country governed by a Islamic govt. That ain't ever going to be the US...

However, Gellers, Wilders and others put themselves in a group that a lot of people don't want to identify with. Like it or not, people aren't going to rush to their side.

Well apparently 300 people in a small Texas town rushed to their side when they went to the event.

Plenty of people are on the side of Wilder and Gellers, I most certainly am.

I'm fairly certain that almost everyone in America, Australia etc. believes that free speech includes the right to speak incendiary and provocative words without the consequence of violence. However, Gellers, Wilders and others put themselves in a group that a lot of people don't want to identify with. Like it or not, people aren't going to rush to their side. But that doesn't mean their detractors are anti free speech or anti freedom.

Quoting myself: Mind you, I've read the supporters on their sites and it's also clear that some people will rush to their side. It's the comments on their sites that really state the obvious.

Well apparently 300 people in a small Texas town rushed to their side when they went to the event.

Plenty of people are on the side of Wilder and Gellers, I most certainly am.

Yes, jinx to my last comment. Lol. I get it, but I don't.

Just because someone has the right to say what they want doesn't mean they are not despicable human beings operating on a lower plane of consciousness. Hate begets hate. You may have the freedom to say anything you want, but realize it is that very hate you are spewing that is hindering your own evolution as a human being. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther