DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sort of interesting, no idea if it's significant. The following businesses are listed with an address of 13930 Willard Road, Chantilly, VA:

- American Iron Works (Virginia Plant)
- American Institute of Welding, LLC (uses acronym AIW)
- Sigma Fund LLC (Savvas Savopoulos, Managing Member)
- Chantilly General Rental
- Budget Truck Rental
- Southern Office Supply

Alright. I've come up with a good reason why W-1 would say he got a phone call Thursday from SS instead of a text on Wednesday. By this time he knew the family was killed and the money was involved. HE was being grilled by LE! Big fear. He wanted to sound as if he had direct orders from SS and heard his voice. Anyone can send a text, and he probably was highly nervous by this time and wanting to distance himself from any appearance of doing something wrong. I think all his lies were CYA moves out of fear of somehow getting caught up in the thing. W-2 showed police the photo of the money. Of course they are going to be tough on him. He was probably scared out of his mind.

My unanswered question is still, WHY would W-1 and W-2 be in any danger? Would LE think the perps might think they could get more money? Maybe the perps would think he got some for himself off the top. Even if he did not. I don't know. Anybody?

At the time they interviewed W1 and W2, they didn't know who committed the crimes and were worried the perpetrator(s) could try to take out any known witnesses. Even after they named Wint as a suspect, they didn't know where he was. LE is still seeking unknown (as far as we know) accomplices who could ostensibly kill off anyone who could testify in court. The fact that they believe W1 and W2 are/were in danger makes them less likely as suspects to me - if IT was the only other co-conspirator, IT and W2 wouldn't be in danger from IT! But, unless they know the perpetrator(s), what information do they really have that makes them a threat to the perp(s)? Maybe this makes them more suspicious! Oh my head!

At the time they interviewed W1 and W2, they didn't know who committed the crimes and were worried the perpetrator(s) could try to take out any known witnesses. Even after they named Wint as a suspect, they didn't know where he was. LE is still seeking unknown (as far as we know) accomplices who could ostensibly kill off anyone who could testify in court. The fact that they believe W1 and W2 are/were in danger makes them less likely as suspects to me - if IT was the only other co-conspirator, IT and W2 wouldn't be in danger from IT! But, unless they know the perpetrator(s), what information do they really have that makes them a threat to the perp(s)? Maybe this makes them more suspicious! Oh my head!
There is no IT. :lol:

Hello Websleuthers! I'm a longtime lurker on this board for years. Thank you Moderator for approving me.

I believe the longtime maid, Nelly Gutierrez, and the driver are complicit in this crime along with Daron Wint and others. The text and phone calls from the Savopoulos' to the maid were probably to provide her with an alibi to explain why she didn't show up for work on Thursday.

My theory is based on the following:

Lie #1: W-1 (the driver) stated he received a call from Savvas Savoupoulos (SS) on Thursday morning, May 14, instructing him to meet an employee at American Iron Works to pick up "a package".

In reality, he received a text from SS on Wednesday, May 13 instructing him to meet the employee on Thursday morning at the office.

Lie #2: W-1 said he received the $40,000 from the other employee inside a manila envelope. He said he then drove to the house and placed the manila envelope in the red car in the garage.

When pressed by detectives, W-1 changed his story to say he retrieved the $40,000 from the employee's pockets and he placed the cash in a red bag which belonged to W-1. This means W-1 brought the red bag with him. W-1 then drove to the residence and placed the cash in a manila envelope that was already in the red car.

Maybe W-1 lied about the red bag because he knew he sent W-2 a photo of $20,000 in cash inside a red bag at 9 a.m. on Thursday?

The affidavit stated that only one of the bundles of cash in the photo had a bank wrapper on it. But the other employee said all 4 bundles of cash were wrapped in bank wrappers.

Lie #3: W-1 stated the red car was locked when he went into the garage. He said he retrieved a key to unlock the red car. He later changed his story to say the car was already unlocked when he arrived.

Did he perhaps unlock the blue Porsche for Wint (or an accomplice), and he got the 2 cars mixed up?

Detectives spoke with W-2 -- who I think is the longtime maid, Nelly Gutierrez (NG). She showed police a photo sent to her via text by W-1. The photo showed a red bag containing only $20,000. That photo is damning. Why would W-1 text a photo of the money to the maid? Was he letting her know that the $20,000 was their cut?

Websleuthers are confusing W-2 for the other employee. The other employee is never referred to as W-2 in the affidavit.

W2 is not mentioned until page 5 of the affidavit.

The maid (W-2) told reporters that W-1 called her crying after he learned about the murders. Why would he call her crying?

1. Why did the maid lie to the media about the $40,000 in cash being a regular delivery every week?

2. Why did she even know about the cash drop-off?

3. If she knew about the money that morning, why didn't she put 2+2 together and realize something was wrong after she received the strange call and text from the Savopoulos'?

When Wint was captured in D.C. on Thursday, the fugitive task force found money orders totaling a little over $10,000 inside the box truck that was driven by Wint's brother. They also found a wad of hundreds stuffed in the side door of the box truck.

This is consistent with $20,000 -- not $40,000 -- that Wint (or an accomplice) took out of the red car. W1 and W2 probably kept the other $20,000 for themselves.

I believe the tragic events began to unfold much earlier than police say they did.

Banks require more than 24 hours advanced notice to prepare large cash withdrawals. The Bank of America I bank with won't allow large same-day withdrawals. But what if Savvas requested $100,000? Maybe the bank manager made an exception for Savvas and gave W-1 $40,000?

Maybe W1 and W2 shorted Wint $20K, which sparked his murderous rampage? Maybe that's why they need police protection?

We know W1 didn't lie about the bank. The other employee confirmed that part of the story to the police. The bank manager could confirm also. The affidavit would have stated that W-1 lied about the bank.

Did SS called W1 at 11:54 a.m. because the bag was $20K short?

Finally, Philip stayed home from school on Wednesday. Maybe someone was in the house holding the family captive Wednesday morning?

My apologies for such a lengthy post.

Wow, thanks for coming out of the shadows. I guess still waters run deep!

There was a martial arts friend of SS who mentioned it on his facebook page right after the murders. He even had a pic of SS putting down mats in the new place. I can not find it now :( It was in the first thread.

I wonder who his associates are in the new venture. SS was the Head Master so not a casual flirtation with the martial arts methinks. I expect there to have been other people involved, running the studio, answering calls, maintenance, other Masters taking classes? Keeping in mind that his 'art' was swordsmanship. Could have taken someone home with him that evening that turned nasty?

The one time I bought a money order was at a convenience store. I could have sworn that the "to" section had to be filled in before the completion of the sale. Is that still the way it works? When I first read the early arrest reports, even though I read money orders, my mind heard it as "traveler's checks." When later I saw it was money orders, I was confounded, big time.
You do not have to put a name to in a money order I think you can do CASH just like a check.

Regarding the first question, the Charging Document (p 3/8) says this: "Members of the Major Crimes/Cold Case Homicide Unit conducted an investigation into
this offense. Members identified, located, and interviewed a Person identified hereafter as W-1. W-l stated [he/she] is an employee of Mr. Savopoulos
whose job consisted of transporting Mr. Savopoulos to and from work and handling daily assignments given to him by Mr. Savopoulos." BBM.

Glad for the exact language from Charging Doc.
That said, even w quote, not clear to me (but sometimes I see ambiguities where others do not) whether he was on Mr S' personal payroll or AIW or other company.

Still not working... I do really want to see it though.

Ok so DH is home. He's a deputy here. Not like that matters- but he's good at telling me what's significant and what's not from LE point of view.

I was running through details with him because he knows what's going on but not to the extent of us sleuthers.

With regards to w1: I told him about all the lies. He said: "what would the point of him lying be? If he was involved what would lying about stuff be when obviously they were going to check text messages. It IS possible he is just totally fried mentally - having just lost his boss, and their entire family in such an atrocious manner, and YOU delivered the money there - while they were inside struggling- but you didn't realize what was going on at the time, and if you did, you may have been able to save them? That guilt would almost kill anyone, imagine what would happen if you were in the same position for CC (a business owner in the area my family is close to and I've done work for in the past)... You'd feel awful. You'd be a wreck. You'd probably forget very simple details, you don't even know how that level of stress would afffect you."

So he does have a good point. He did not rule out his involvement possibly but did validate that he could be totally innocent, devastated, just a hot mess after all of this.

He did point out that someone had to have tipped off Wint because he was able to overcome the security system. Would the assistant even have those codes? Possibly not. NG would definitely have those codes.

He also thinks what is REALLY weird- what really stuck out is that NG got her nails done.

Like he said with W1: the duress of the whole situation would make you crumble, but this lady is going and getting her nails done? THAT is bizarre and really raises my eyebrows.

So... all opinions and speculation of course, but with his added experience as LE. :) What do you guys think?
Everyone reacts differently to stressful situations and I cannot see NG as having any involvement at all in these brutal murders although my belief is someone else close to Mr. S. could have had prior contact with the defendant (i.e. security code). As to NG having her nails done, perhaps she has acrylic/gel nails and has them done on a regular basis and it was time for her next appointment. She is most likely devastated at the loss of the family and her close friend. That said, however, is based on information so far regarding her.

:(

MOO

They could be counting from the time Amy was taken hostage (with housekeeper and son). I personally think Amy was taken hostage already and called her husband asking him to come home (under directions of kidnapper).

I agree. I think AS called SS and said come home "I'm going out", and he knew something was wrong. They are busy people with commitments to work, charity events, kids in private school and boarding schools out of state, extended family commitments, friends, fundraisers,etc. Things are scheduled out weeks and months in advance. And PS had a concussion; why would she leave him ? She wouldn't.
If I called my husband and said come home now because I'm going out. He'd say whatever do you mean? Because I would never say that. I would say I'm going out to check on my mother or run to the grocery store or go pick up x at y. Most women give every little detail. I think DDW told AS to say what he'd say and SS knew something was not quite right. JMO

That is possible. I'm sure the business associates and SS knew the bank manager personally or socially. JMO

Maybe answered already. I used to open a bank. The vaults were on timers and could only be opened just before normal business hours. All that scrambling around money out the door and photographed by 9am ....almost impossible imoo.

I don't know if this is significant but it may be that W-1 (the driver) declined to give his cell phone to the police when asked. The Charging Document says that during a police interview W-1 was asked to provide his cell phone and that W-1 showed the police some texts and calls on his phone -- while it says that he showed them certain things on the phone, it is silent on whether the W-1 complied with the request to actually give his cell phone to the police. The Charging Document says: "During the course of the interview, MPD detectives requested that W-1 provide [his/her] cellular telephone to them. During the interview, W-l showed detectives a number of text messages and incoming and outgoing calls with Mr. Savopoulos." (p. 5/8). JMO.

Quote Originally by KristinSchmistin
*Awesome* User
I think it's outdoor. Only because if it were indoor then I feel like we would have heard if it was disabled somehow (and possibly then there wouldn't be deaths if it weren't disabled)

<BBM for Focus>

Just K, due to the homes value, strict fire codes for residential dwellings < effective January 1, 2011, all new residences in the District of Columbia are required to have fire sprinklers>. - See more at: http://www.firesprinklerinitiative....quirements-by-state.aspx#sthash.QjN28ssE.dpuf

Combined with the fires' behavior; the quick extinguishment by the Fire Department and the lack of the fires extention to other floors..
It would be safe to conclude that the Savopoulos home was equipped with a residential fire sprinkler system. When flammable liquid accelerants such as gasoline flashover the fireball of gasoline vapors instantly causes extremely high temperatures exceeding 1,000 degrees F. It is not uncommon for fire deaths to occur due to breathing and the direct exposure to these super heated gases, as opposed to smoke inhalation deaths which usually occur much slower due to the fire consuming most of the available oxygen.

Most fire deaths are not caused by burns, but by smoke inhalation of toxic gases.
Imo, the decision to douse the vicims with gasoline by Wint, and torch the fire, may have been due to the existence of the homes' sprinkler system. DW; a welder, would have likely known that an ordinary combustible fire would have been extinguished immediately by the fire sprinkler system..

I've followed a lot of horrific henious crimes over the past seven years at Websleuths. To torture and execute a family, including their 10 year old son, and housekeeper in this extremely violent and deviant manner ranks right up there with the worst case scenarios, imo.. D. Wint and associates are pure damn evil; "The Devil's Deciple/s"...[/QUOTE]

Since this house was built way before strict fire codes (1920s I believe) I doubt they had an indoor sprinkler system. They would have had to rip out ceilings and walls. Not that they couldn't do it, but most of these houses have plaster walls and gorgeous molding that I wouldn't want to risk damaging. Also, if they are art collectors, they would run the risk of a malfunction destroying it. Most of us don't really think our house is going to catch on fire, but we are pretty sure the grass will die if it doesn't get watered. Lastly, I don't know if the fire department would note that the house had a sprinkler system in their report. Even though the fire was contained to a relatively small area, this report says "It took well over an hour before the incident could be declared under control."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...pl0J:www.dcfd.com/+&cd=33&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
View attachment 75155

I have scoured the Internet for announcements about a grand opening of a martial arts studio/center in chantilly, va and have found nothing. Anyone else have any luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did the same and didn't find one iota of information about a martial arts studio opening in Chantilly on May 15. This is puzzling to say the least...

Alright. I've come up with a good reason why W-1 would say he got a phone call Thursday from SS instead of a text on Wednesday. By this time he knew the family was killed and the money was involved. HE was being grilled by LE! Big fear. He wanted to sound as if he had direct orders from SS and heard his voice. Anyone can send a text, and he probably was highly nervous by this time and wanting to distance himself from any appearance of doing something wrong. I think all his lies were CYA moves out of fear of somehow getting caught up in the thing. W-2 showed police the photo of the money. Of course they are going to be tough on him. He was probably scared out of his mind.

My unanswered question is still, WHY would W-1 and W-2 be in any danger? Would LE think the perps might think they could get more money? Maybe the perps would think he got some for himself off the top. Even if he did not. I don't know. Anybody?
The only way if you are innocent of any wrong doing in the events you are being grilled about by LE is to tell the truth. Making up a lie is not covering your *advertiser censored* but covering up something you do not want someone to know or think about you directly related or not. Whether he did something stupid-- as I am and others have conjectured before, like take pics of the cash on his phone he was covering something or thinking he should cover big or small. Yes and I agree even if you are totally innocent of any wrong doing you might be scarred, nervous or whatever, but if you start lying there is a reason, whether big or small and the fact that you are being questioned well you are caught up in it. As far as being in danger LE believes there were others involved this they have communicated. We don't get to see everything LE knows from the Witnesses only what they need for the warrants and charges for Wint. Maybe those witness know more and the other perps know that those witnesses know more.

I don't see anything sinister in NG getting her nails done, other than the fact that she probably wanted to look her best for the cameras, I don't think she had anything to do with the crime, I do however see her as the type to attention seek at a time of mourning.

I don't think that is clear.

I believe the Wednesday in the article is the week after the murders, when the reporter tried to call W1. SS called him at 11:54 on the Thursday when the fire was set. Does LE know what was said between SS and W1? I wonder how he got home if W1 drove him to work that morning. If W1 didn't drive him home, how did he get home? How did NG get home, because IIRC, she said she was at the house Wednesday and rode in to the studio with him Wednesday morning. If true, how did she get to the Savopoulos home that morning? What car did they take to the studio that morning? A Porsche 911 has back seats, but they are VERY small and uncomfortable. Would they take a car where one person had to sit all squished up in the back when they could have taken one of the others?
Unless one was not allowed to drive for legal reasons, why would a CEO use their Porsche 911 as the automobile to be chauffeured around in? That would look silly...

Still not working... I do really want to see it though.

Ok so DH is home. He's a deputy here. Not like that matters- but he's good at telling me what's significant and what's not from LE point of view.

I was running through details with him because he knows what's going on but not to the extent of us sleuthers.

With regards to w1: I told him about all the lies. He said: "what would the point of him lying be? If he was involved what would lying about stuff be when obviously they were going to check text messages. It IS possible he is just totally fried mentally - having just lost his boss, and their entire family in such an atrocious manner, and YOU delivered the money there - while they were inside struggling- but you didn't realize what was going on at the time, and if you did, you may have been able to save them? That guilt would almost kill anyone, imagine what would happen if you were in the same position for CC (a business owner in the area my family is close to and I've done work for in the past)... You'd feel awful. You'd be a wreck. You'd probably forget very simple details, you don't even know how that level of stress would afffect you."

So he does have a good point. He did not rule out his involvement possibly but did validate that he could be totally innocent, devastated, just a hot mess after all of this.

He did point out that someone had to have tipped off Wint because he was able to overcome the security system. Would the assistant even have those codes? Possibly not. NG would definitely have those codes.

He also thinks what is REALLY weird- what really stuck out is that NG got her nails done.

Like he said with W1: the duress of the whole situation would make you crumble, but this lady is going and getting her nails done? THAT is bizarre and really raises my eyebrows.

So... all opinions and speculation of course, but with his added experience as LE. :) What do you guys think?
Yes, and why did she keep going back to the crime scene to give all those interviews, hair, nails and makeup coiffed, different outfits and expensive sunglasses, every time. Who keeps going back to the torturous crime scene? News reporter would have gladly gone to her (they interviewed VF's husband in a home) But no not NG, instead she keeps going to the burnt out property. Where police and reporters are standing guard. It makes no sense. She has never seemed broken emotionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther