ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very much so. In fact, he will be on Coast to Coast AM tonight 1AM - 5AM, EST; 10PM - 2AM PST. I believe it will be well worth the listen. I've read all but his latest book and I look at things a bit differently these days.

Is there a way to listen to this without paying a membership fee on their website?

Edited to add: listen online, I mean...I don't have a radio in the house lol.

How many other people were camping there at the same time? Not in their group, but other unrelated campers?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have not heard that anyone else was.

ALSO, it has been suggested that it is a possibility that this family might have lost a very close loved one themselves, just weeks earlier. Could that have been the reason they took Great Grandpa up to the wildness area? Did they drop the cremains of their loved one BEFORE the baby got lost?

Not sure.

"Police divers have been methodically searching every square inch of the reservoir for the little boy after cadaver dogs indicated there may be something there. However, Lemhi County Sheriff Lynn Bowerman tells HLN they just learned that someone had been dumping human cremains in the reservoir, and that very well could be the smell the dogs picked up on."

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2015/07/17/deorr-kunz-missing-family-fear-abducted
So the way that is written it kind of makes it sound like something came forward and found LE?

Not sure if it was mentioned that cremains were dumped "during" the search.
Still not sure if someone saw them doing it and reported it to LE or ???

Also from this same link from today (7/20/15), I wasn't aware they had searched and ruled out a wolf den, etc. See link below

Cadaver dogs led law enforcement directly to the reservoir but Bowerman said unrelated cremated remains dumped into the water during the search likely prompted the canines' interest. A search of the reservoir using advanced sonar equipment yielded nothing, he said.

Over the weekend, the sheriff and his deputies carefully examined a nearby wolf den but found not a single clue -- no remnant of clothing or sign the boy had been dragged from the campsite.

"We've got a pack of wolves in there -- about 15 of them," Bowerman said. "We actually chased one out the day before yesterday."

http://790talknow.com/foxfeedspro/de...missing-child/

If the wolves got him then we would find his cowboy boots somewhere...right? :cry:

If the wolves got him then we would find his cowboy boots somewhere...right? :cry:
Yes, they would not eat the boots. They really aren't likely to run up and grab the child either.

bbm

Wait. What?????

Whoa! I have had my thoughts, but can't disclose them. I am certainly they mentioned possible wildlife being involved as I noticed another poster from Idaho stated that would never happen. Evidently they do not read the Idaho Statesman or watch the Boise news. I, myself have seen deer in the middle of town that followed the river - the cougars come down from the foothills and we even had a bear in town once. This has been in the last 10 years to currently. They get hungry. Also, it is very common to get off work on Friday and head for the hills without a lot of planning as it is only 1 hour to the mtns from most locations in Idaho. My brothers used to camp places like Leadore when they were in high school with no adult supervision. Those were the days.... I have friends who live in Salmon, near Leadore and own a large cattle ranch and they will testify to the wild animals that try to kill their livestock!!

Quote Originally Posted by sunflowerchick View Post
I am not sure what you are getting at here so please forgive me if this seems contradictory to what you are saying. But to me, that doesn't seem all that weird TBH. I mean, you are camping in the middle of nowhere and we are talking about a 2 year old. In my mind, I would be thinking how far could he go? I would have scoured the areas around the campsite. I would have checked the water and THEN I would have called LE. It doesn't seem that far-fetched to think that would take an hour. This means nothing IMO. In fact, what this says to me is that the family did their due diligence before calling LE.

That's EXACTLY the way it would normally work. I don't understand these people that think that if you can't find your kid in a matter of a few minutes you need to go into panic mode and start calling in the calvary. Kids wander. Kids explore. Kids go places they aren't supposed to go.

If my parents had called the cops every time they couldn't find me within 20 or 30 minutes, they might as well have just opened up a bed and breakfast for LE right there on the ranch, seeing how they would be basically living there anyway.

What I'm getting at is that the 911 sounded incredulous or that she misheard when mom said an hour. Also, I respectfully disagree about that's "exactly" how it would happen. There's probably not a mom here that hasn't "lost" her kid, even for a minute and that panic is indescribable. Utter dread and panic. There is no way on Gods green earth that I would wait 60 full minutes, in an unfamiliar place, with a fast moving creek 15 FEEt from the camp, not knowing where my kid is. No way. No how. I would have called out the calvary within 5 minutes and I don't think that that is overreacting, and if it is, so what?? I'd rather be embarrassed than have a TODDLER that is LOST and/or GONE so near water

Not sure if it was mentioned that cremains were dumped "during" the search.
Still not sure if someone saw them doing it and reported it to LE or ???

Also from this same link from today (7/20/15), I wasn't aware they had searched and ruled out a wolf den, etc. See link below

Cadaver dogs led law enforcement directly to the reservoir but Bowerman said unrelated cremated remains dumped into the water during the search likely prompted the canines' interest. A search of the reservoir using advanced sonar equipment yielded nothing, he said.

Over the weekend, the sheriff and his deputies carefully examined a nearby wolf den but found not a single clue -- no remnant of clothing or sign the boy had been dragged from the campsite.

"We've got a pack of wolves in there -- about 15 of them," Bowerman said. "We actually chased one out the day before yesterday."

http://790talknow.com/foxfeedspro/de...missing-child/
If this a journalism mistake or did someone really walk up to the lake with searchers around and dump it in the lake? Ya know, if it were me I would come back.

Katydid,

I don't know about wolves but I do recall there was a case where a significant number of folks argued vehemently that mountain lions would eat backpacks and tennis shoes, so anything is possible I guess. Does anyone know if they bought any peanuts while at the store?

Last night in my dreams it hit me. "Lead Ore." Like lead the metal. I googled mines in Leadore, and this map made me gasp.
http://www.us-mining.com/idaho/leadore
There are hundreds of mines there. I think the poor baby may have fallen through a crack in the ground into an old mine. That would explain why there's no trace.

Thanks for this map!

I think it may be a possibility little Deorr fell into a mine...

Another WSer posted a set of topographical maps on the last thread... but I can't remember his/her name... but thanks to you, too!

I am wondering if anyone can calculate the distance from the campground to the nearest mine(s)? I am having trouble with this...:doh:

TIA... :seeya:

If this a journalism mistake or did someone really walk up to the lake with searchers around and dump it in the lake? Ya know, if it were me I would come back.

Sarx, I'm pretty sure I read about it happening "during" the search some days ago and was trying to find that link when I caught this latest link from today. So it has been reported in different papers about it happening "DURING" the search. Either the person had no idea there was a missing child and a search was in progress in that area or it was someone who knew but wasn't thinking or .... I'm baffled...

JMO
After seeing 2 different cases on TV of young kids falling into a deep well in their own yard I would not outrule that possibility.

I am leaning to some tragic accident happening.

Someone had a great idea about the cash register receipts for the candy bar would tell exactly what time the clerk saw the people she saw.

Do we know if anyone sent in that tip to LE to be sure that they knew to check the cash register receipts for that candy bar purchase day and time?

I always wonder if LE does the due digilence checking on things like that. I would hope they would but unless we know it is confirmed I would like to know someone at least provided that tip to them. I will wait till tomorrow to see if anyone has done that and if we dont see an update that it has been sent in as a suggestion tip then I could do that.

Great idea... sending in the tip to LE...

perhaps it was overlooked... and sending in the tip wouldn't hurt!

:thumb:

I don't know if this has been mentioned or already addressed, we spend a lot of time hiking in Western Carolina and Tennessee. Something we have been noticing is that a lot of homeless people AND homeless families are preferring and feel safer moving into State Parks. We asked the rangers about it and they said it was becoming an issue. Have they seen any signs of a homeless camp? Not saying they had anything to do with this, but might have seen something and afraid or scared to come forward.
No, homeless tend to be where they can get food. Would not be much at this location. We do not have many homeless other than in the City of Boise where they can find charity, places to sleep and food.

You'd think they'd have shut down that whole area while they searched... Someone dumped cremains during the time SAR was there? Suddenly that remote, lightly used campground sounds like Grand Central Station.

Sarx, I'm pretty sure I read about it happening "during" the search some days ago and was trying to find that link when I caught this latest link from today. So it has been reported in different papers about it happening "DURING" the search. Either the person had no idea there was a missing child and a search was in progress in that area or it was someone who knew but wasn't thinking or .... I'm baffled...
You know, it may have been someone's loved one and that was their favorite spot. It could have been a long trek for them to get up there. And most wouldn't think " oh hey, maybe I shouldn't drop these ashes in right now cuz it might mess up the cadaver dogs. "

So we should assume that 2 different types of dogs were used ones that find living people and ones that find only deseased

I believe that is correct, but someone posted that cadaver dogs aren't necessarily trained to detect cremains, so I don't think that's really what alerted the dogs to the reservoir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa