FL - Dr Teresa Sievers, 46, murdered in home, Bonita Springs, June 2015 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need clarification on that. Are you saying you cannot lock the deadbolt from inside?

-Nin

I believe what he means is that the inside knob is twisted by hand to lock the deadbolt (not by a key, like the outside). Therefore, if someone is staging the scene, after the crime, they would have to be in the house and turn the knob and then exit through a different door to get outside and stage the pry marks. If they were actually breaking the door in, from outside, there would be evidence of splitting of the door in the area of the deadbolt.

I need clarification on that. Are you saying you cannot lock the deadbolt from inside?

-Nin

I'm sorry, no you can lock the deadbolt from the inside but in order to exit the same door, you would need to unlock the deadbolt and the use your key to dead bolt lock the door, again, from the outside. With the lock on the door knob, you can lock it from the inside and close it behind you, locked.

I believe what he means is that the inside knob is twisted by hand to lock the deadbolt (not by a key, like the outside). Therefore, if someone is staging the scene, after the crime, they would have to be in the house and turn the knob and then exit through a different door to get outside and stage the pry marks. If they were actually breaking the door in, from outside, there would be evidence of splitting of the door in the area of the deadbolt.

Yes, or they could exit from the same door, using the knob lock and not the deadbolt. The deadbolt appeared to be unlocked and not really damaged by prying, to me anyway!

deadbolt picture.jpg

Here is an image for clarification. The inside has the twist lock mechanism and the key portion is on the outside of the door.

That's the name of the Bonita Springs Dog Park located at 11075 E Terry St. The park is in direct walking distance to the Sievers house. It took me about 4 minutes to walk from the house to the park - without a dog.

When you google the park and click on street view, you will notice a marked police car (great coincidence!) parking in a more secluded area underneath some trees. That is a good spot (and further behind it) to leave a car and walk to the Sievers house.
Without indicating that this is was actually happened, it offers a viable possibility for a getaway.

Also, the park is self- monitored and is open from dusk to dawn. The rules of the park are displayed here:

View attachment 79319
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=city+of+bonita+springs+bar+n%27+play+dog+park

There are 3 separated dog parks on the property: For small dogs (under 20 pounds), medium dogs (20 - 45 pounds) and for large dogs (over 45 pounds).

From the rules I notice that aggressive dogs ( among others) are prohibited in the park and that dog bites need to be reported. I can see many issues possibly leading to conflicts between dog owners. Just throwing it in as additional angle.

Here is a video from the Dog Park opening. Lot's of dogs and proud owners here. In addition you will meet K9 Officer "Ruger" from the LCSO. Very interesting video, if you like dogs!

http://www.cityofbonitasprings.org/15693/beautiful-bonita-the-dog-park-bark-and-play/

-Nin

If the perp parked over there it would explain why LE searched the area between the house and the park and also why they stayed at the park area for a long time. jmho

Didn't the funeral program posted awhile back in these threads list a time for "viewing"? If she had been bashed in the face/head with a hammer, would they be able to have a viewing?

I just checked the obituary and news articles: No mention of any viewing whatsoever. The obit' states 'the family will receive friends'... for the hour b4 the funeral: AND the obit' goes on the say 'in lieu of flowers' give money to the husband's g@fundm@ page - husband asked for ONE MILLION DOLLARS, and I imagine somebody pointed out the wierdness? total tackiness? lunacy? of doing that so then he changed it to a 'foundation' of some sort, and then it morphed on to something else.

I'm sorry, no you can lock the deadbolt from the inside but in order to exit the same door, you would need to unlock the deadbolt and the use your key to dead bolt lock the door, again, from the outside. With the lock on the door knob, you can lock it from the inside and close it behind you, locked.

This may be an explanation why the (very important) garage side door was not dead-bolted to begin with. I could not find any reasonable thought on why it would not be properly secured. That's why the dead bolt lock is there to begin with, for security.
They have security cameras on three sides of the house and the only access door ( accessing the garage ) without camera surveillance was not completely secured?

A staged break-in would require a certain knowledge of the existing lock system. He will have to plan just that part of the staging very well. He needs to lock the side door and step out. Then he is trying to pry open the door. He knows the dead bolt is not engaged! He only pries open the lower lock. He has a key in case the tool he is using isn't doing the job. He may need to unlock the door and step back in. He does not want to run around the house, motion lights and else may come on over and over (unless they were turned off). He may be seen running around the house. He manages to pry open the door. He steps back in, finishes up inside and leaves.

The key! The key to that side door needs to be fingerprinted!!

Just in case..

-Nin

Creepingskills, that was a great observation on your part!

-Nin

By the way, have you noticed that changing the plural in your name to singular, gives it a whole new meaning..;-)

This may be an explanation why the (very important) garage side door was not dead-bolted to begin with. I could not find any reasonable thought on why it would not be properly secured. That's why the dead bolt lock is there to begin with, for security.
They have security cameras on three sides of the house and the only access door ( accessing the garage ) without camera surveillance was not completely secured?

A staged break-in would require a certain knowledge of the existing lock system. He will have to plan just that part of the staging very well. He needs to lock the side door and step out. Then he is trying to pry open the door. He knows the dead bolt is not engaged! He only pries open the lower lock. He has a key in case the tool he is using isn't doing the job. He may need to unlock the door and step back in. He does not want to run around the house, motion lights and else may come on over and over (unless they were turned off). He may be seen running around the house. He manages to pry open the door. He steps back in, finishes up inside and leaves.

The key! The key to that side door needs to be fingerprinted!!

Just in case..

-Nin

Exactly. Why wouldn't the door be deadbolt locked with a key, or the deadbolt locked while inside? It could be forgetfulness, or maybe attributable to the dog walker. I'm leaning toward staging.

What are the odds that the security alarm would be off and the deadbolt unlocked?

Creepingskills, that was a great observation on your part!

-Nin

By the way, have you noticed that changing the plural in your name to singular, gives it a whole new meaning..;-)

Creeping skill? I haven't noticed, what does it mean? LOL, my brain is still fried from taking the bar exam last week.

Creeping skill? I haven't noticed, what does it mean? LOL, my brain is still fried from taking the bar exam last week.

Wow...no wonder your brain is fried. Told myself if I didn't pass it the first time, there is no way I would endure it again. Thankfully I passed. Wish you well on your results.

Exactly. Why wouldn't the door be deadbolt locked with a key, or the deadbolt locked while inside? It could be forgetfulness, or maybe attributable to the dog walker. I'm leaning toward staging.

What are the odds that the security alarm would be off and the deadbolt unlocked?

Precisely! The odds are against it.

Also, if you look at this picture. I believe these are trash or recycling compactors located outside the (broken in) side door?

sievers compactors.jpg

I assume they were not just moved to the outside for easy access to the garage, as the CS members are actively investigating the crime scene and keeping it intact.

Let's say they have been there before. Is anyone here familiar with those? What kind of trash or recyclables do they compact? Any ideas?

-Nin

Wow...no wonder your brain is fried. Told myself if I didn't pass it the first time, there is no way I would endure it again. Thankfully I passed. Wish you well on your results.

Thank you! It was a rough 2 days. Locked the keys in my car this morning at Starbucks, immediately blamed my bar brain.:tantrum:

. . . Two weeks after Dr. Sievers' murder in Bonita Springs, a United States Veteran (a cab driver) was ambushed and attacked with a hammer, in Ft. Myers (30 mins. away).

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/29547596/police-hunt-for-suspects-after-cab-driver-attacked

The video has been removed. However, Natasha Verma's printed report is still available. Could this be a copy-cat attack? Could this be connected? . . .

Good catch. I'd seen the story about the cab driver, but the hammer wasn't mentioned. I see now that most accounts don't mention a weapon. By adding "hammer" to a search on the driver's name, I found an NBC2 print report that used "hammer" in its headline. Hammer attacks are more common than most people think (there was a case in a town near here of a guy who killed two girl friends that way, decades apart), but I'm sure it's an uncommon weapon for street crime or a home invasion, so there could be a connection.

The top lock appears to be free from prying, so maybe it wasn't locked or otherwise in the murder's way. I have a door similar to these and I always lock both because the bottom lock is easy to open without a key, if you have a credit card. . . .

I also always lock both, but my wife almost never does, especially if she's only out for a short walk, etc. She's been known to forget both locks. Many people are careless or just in a hurry (the weak lock on the handle, as you know, requires only a momentary push or twist).

Same with alarms, by the way. Many people just don't bother unless they're away for the day, etc.

I also always lock both, but my wife almost never does, especially if she's only out for a short walk, etc. She's been known to forget both locks. Many people are careless or just in a hurry (the weak lock on the handle, as you know, requires only a momentary push or twist).

Same with alarms, by the way. Many people just don't bother unless they're away for the day, etc.

I was always one of those people who wouldn't lock the top door, until I was locked out and actually had to break into my apartment. I rarely forget the top lock now. :fear:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993