Chris Hyndman of Steven and Chris has died

I have trouble believing that police would accept a sleepwalking story that quickly. If that were true it would be pretty big news that someone actually DIED sleepwalking. That sounds more suspicious than saying he accidently fell. I imagine it's really an awful situation with the family right now - if they are unable to agree with what happened amongst themselves. And by agree I mean accept. This is why people consider suicide selfish. You leave behind a huge mess. This could divide family and friends forever. I hope he wrote a note and there is some closure for everyone. His Mother may be trying to protect his reputation. I would need a lot of convincing and proof that he was sleepwalking to death.

I have been doing a little on line searching and perhaps I am looking in the wrong place, but I can't find any information stating suicide is more prominent one day over the other or specifically at holidays.
Anyone?

I have trouble believing that police would accept a sleepwalking story that quickly. If that were true it would be pretty big news that someone actually DIED sleepwalking. That sounds more suspicious than saying he accidently fell. I imagine it's really an awful situation with the family right now - if they are unable to agree with what happened amongst themselves. And by agree I mean accept. This is why people consider suicide selfish. You leave behind a huge mess. This could divide family and friends forever. I hope he wrote a note and there is some closure for everyone. His Mother may be trying to protect his reputation. I would need a lot of convincing and proof that he was sleepwalking to death.

There are documented cases of jumping out windows while sleepwalking. One fellow I read about today jumped out of a first floor hotel room (13 ft) and died from hypothermia after not waking up. There are several other cases, but there doesn't seem to be any proof one way or another. When you think of the staggering number of people that choose to end their lives this way, the odds that this was some sort of sleepwalking accident seem very slim. If thats what the family wants to believe and it gives them comfort, who am I to deny it?

His Mom's statements..

He was sleepwalking

His light just burned out

She would know better than any of us. She did say in the article that she didn't think he ever got a full nights sleep. Lack of sleep can burn out anyone's "light".
I think it's unfair that people are speculating suicide at this point when there is NOTHING to state he had taken his life. These types of accusations can only make it harder for a spouse and other loved ones to grieve. All they know is that someone they love and care about is now gone forever.

It could have been accidental. On Sunday, we had a deluge storm in Toronto and surrounding areas. Maybe there was some destruction and/or water accumulation on a tarp or similar thing. If he stepped up onto a ladder to remove damage or water he could have slipped. I just had to empty huge bubbles of water trapped in a tarp using a broom handle and I had to get up on a stepladder to direct the water away from me. JMO

It could have been accidental. On Sunday, we had a deluge storm in Toronto and surrounding areas. Maybe there was some destruction and/or water accumulation on a tarp or similar thing. If he stepped up onto a ladder to remove damage or water he could have slipped. I just had to empty huge bubbles of water trapped in a tarp using a broom handle and I had to get up on a stepladder to direct the water away from me. JMO

Huge storm.....even a couple of tornados reported north of toronto.....i had forgotten about that.....

She would know better than any of us. She did say in the article that she didn't think he ever got a full nights sleep. Lack of sleep can burn out anyone's "light".
I think it's unfair that people are speculating suicide at this point when there is NOTHING to state he had taken his life. These types of accusations can only make it harder for a spouse and other loved ones to grieve. All they know is that someone they love and care about is now gone forever.

This site is called webslueths. This particular case has strong evidence pointing towards suicide. I understand that you might not want to hear the truth about someone that you thought you knew<modsnip>?

If that had been the case the police would have said as much. A tipped over step ladder and a broom would have given a pretty clear indication about what happened.

I have been doing a little on line searching and perhaps I am looking in the wrong place, but I can't find any information stating suicide is more prominent one day over the other or specifically at holidays.
Anyone?

Not sure, but suicide by jumping from a building is incredibly rare.

Christopher was a sleepwalker, and he did that a lot. He even ate in his sleep,” Glenda Hyndman said of her son, who co-hosted the CBC’s popular daytime TV show Steven and Chris. “It’s not good, but that’s his reality.

“He was the most incredible human being and best son you could ever have. I think his light was so bright it just … it just burned out.”

Toronto Police spokesperson Meaghan Gray wouldn’t confirm this, and said the investigation is still open. Police do not suspect anything suspicious or criminal.

http://www.ecanadanow.com/chris-hyndman-cause-of-death-was-an-accident-says-mother/95651/

I wonder if he ever took Ambien to help with his sleeping issues.

The way I've seen mental illness and suicide discussed and dealt with in the Toronto media (and by professionals and the public) over the last four or five years I would be surprised they wouldn't share the information if that's what happened. It brings a lot of awareness, reassurance to people, offers of help and resources, more understanding, maybe even gets more money donated to CAMH. Families of victims want to reach out and help people, and I like to think the victims themselves would want to help someone if they could.

JMO.

Not sure, but suicide by jumping rom a building is incredibly rare.

Not sure where you got that info, but in the US it ranks fourth after shooting, suffocation and poisoning. Less than 3% of US suicides are by fall, but that can be misleading because if you look at a country like Hong Kong, falling accounts for about 58% of suicides. In Canada guns are not easily available I would expect the numbers for other methods to be far higher than the States where over 50% of suicides are by gun.

The way I've seen mental illness and suicide discussed and dealt with in the Toronto media (and by professionals and the public) over the last four or five years I would be surprised they wouldn't share the information if that's what happened. It brings a lot of awareness, reassurance to people, offers of help and resources, more understanding, maybe even gets more money donated to CAMH. Families of victims want to reach out and help people, and I like to think the victims themselves would want to help someone if they could.

JMO.

Ultimately its not up to LE to release that info to the media. Its the family's call and unfortunately the stigma behind suicide keeps a lot of people quite.

Having lived with children who had night terrors and were also sleep walkers, I don't find it so far fetched. My cousin also had a child who was a sleep walker. The man across the street from them (who didn't lock his door at night) woke up at 2:00 am to find this child standing at his bedside staring at him. The child had unlocked her own front door, walked across the street to the house and walked right in. Her parents walked her back home and put her back to bed. She was 4 and had no memory of it. After living it, it doesn't seem so impossible to me.

People who take ambian and similar drugs do very strange things in their sleep. As a nurse, I've seen some bizarre behavior that the patient had no memory of. My friend texted me in her sleep after taking ambien. She had no memory of it and was rather embarrassed.

I think in time we will hear more details. For now, my prayers are with Chris' family and friends.

Not sure where you got that info, but in the US it ranks fourth after shooting, suffocation and poisoning. Less than 3% of US suicides are by fall, but that can be misleading because if you look at a country like Hong Kong, falling accounts for about 58% of suicides. In Canada guns are not easily available I would expect the numbers for other methods to be far higher than the States where over 50% of suicides are by gun.

Lumped into "other" in Canada.....

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-x/2012001/article/11696-eng.htm

at most it ranks fourth after hanging, poisoning and firearms.....

"Married people had a lower suicide rate than those who were single, divorced or widowed."

what is the compelling "evidence" in YOUR OPINION that this was a suicide?

what is the compelling "evidence" in YOUR OPINION that this was a suicide?

- position of the body is consistent with someone climbing over the railing facing inward and falling back.
- fact that he'd gone to bed then awoke to go over the balcony
- fact that he is in the highest demographic to commit suicide
- fact that he had admitted suicidal thoughts in the past
- fact that it happened on the last day of a long weekend (highest ranked suicide day)
- fact that LE is not looking for any witness'
- fact that media is not questioning or reporting circumstances

I'm sure there are other indicators as well, but I'm a good enough sleuth to know that statistically the probability of this being anything but a suicide are minuscule.

This happened in Canada, not Hong Kong, and IMO 3% is incredibly rare.

According to Stats Canada:
Over the past ten years, the most common method of suicide in Canada has been hanging (44%), which includes strangulation and suffocation; followed by poisoning (25%) and firearm use (16%).
("Other" is listed as 15%)
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-x/2012001/article/chart/11696-02-chart2-eng.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back