IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought if it was the prairie material yard that was the problem why not go in from rollins rd? the place is very visible from there, not like on honing were you have to go past precision chrome to even see the gate. Were ever he was when he called dispatch at 7:52 it took him 3 minutes to get to the gate at the end of honing before he bailed out and started his pursuit. It's no telling were they were when he first observed the suspicious activity. jmo idk

I'm going to throw this question out there with the above quoted post because it discusses the timeline.......

Has anyone other than myself wondered why the dispatcher didn't hear a gun shot? I kind of assumed if he was interupted while on the radio the dispatcher would have heard it. Or heard something....... He's in pursuit and then it's like he just hangs up. If he was in pursuit, wouldn't it be likely he would stay on the radio until back up arrived?

There is just something weird about the timing with the radio call, being shot by someone else and the disconnection of the radio call. It's not like someone would just wait for him to get off the radio being that close to shoot him at close range.

The way that call ended just seems so odd.
I don't think the dispatch call ended bizarrely except usually dispatch will try to get more info of the suspects. But they might have thought he was running after them so that was not the time. Who knows....

I don't think it odd dispatch didn't hear the shot because unless he left the radio open t wouldn't hear anything until he pushed the button.

Honing Rd dead ends. I have always assumed the three were on foot. Maybe I missed something. The business that is at the dead end rd (honing) that is for sale is one way in and out, last I looked at maps. The view from rollins rd shows the gate closed as well.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.389...1sbhsWdL8MVD4tHpTt2SPbRwRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jmo

For any suspect to get out of there on foot they would need to go to either Rollins or 12. They would not know which direction on either road a police cruiser would be coming in response.

If they had a vehicle it was probably parked off Honing before the gate. So they would have eventually headed back that direction. That was the only direction for first responders to get their vehicles in so the suspects would have been likely to have been seen by first responders.

Is there any chance the Lt. was engaging in some kind of personal, private activity when, let's say, a few local people, while cutting through the area, startled him/them. He realized they saw him/them and since he knew who they were, he realized they knew him\them too?
Does anyone else think what happened could involve a personal reason outside of PD problems?

I want to know who he met with and where he went that morning. They know that based on gps and I think it might have a personal bearing on death.

There Is a reason they won't tell us that info when we know they have it. They keep saying they are waiting for other victimology info. They don't need his c o mputer to tell us what his gps said.

Are we the only people talking about this? I have searched for other discussions and can't find any. Are LE talking about it on private forums? Media blackout. What is going on? JMO

Just a thought if it was the prairie material yard that was the problem why not go in from rollins rd? the place is very visible from there, not like on honing were you have to go past precision chrome to even see the gate. Were ever he was when he called dispatch at 7:52 it took him 3 minutes to get to the gate at the end of honing before he bailed out and started his pursuit. It's no telling were they were when he first observed the suspicious activity. jmo idk

Filenko for all intents and purposes said he was already out of the car when he made that first call. He was already parked at the gate for twenty mins prior and was not on rollins to see anything.

That is why the twenty minutes are so crucial because like you said had he seen someone it wasn't from Rollins like you might expect.

Are we the only people talking about this? I have searched for other discussions and can't find any. Are LE talking about it on private forums? Media blackout. What is going on? JMO

Yes, it is talked about on a private forum I am a member of that is law enforcement. We don't tend to play scenario games over there so the thread doesn't move much.

You have seen the discussions on the comment sections of news stories.

I also have heard some water cooler talk personally.

I think the media gets pounded anytime they mention suicide or not trusting the task force so they just don't need the hassle. I am glad there are few reports trying to ask questions.

The McHenry Moose in Johnsburg is holding a fundraiser for LT. Joe Gliniewicz Family on Sunday, October 11th from 1pm to 10 pm.

I can't stop wondering why GI Joe apparently would not be involved with the Explorers anymore. Were the kids aware of that? No send-off party? It seems to be, that his association with it was to end rather abruptly. I can't see why his retirement would not allow him to continue volunteering...........if he had secured a new job where he would have to move,OK, but he had not. Don't Explorer parents wonder what the deal is? JMO

I'm going to throw this question out there with the above quoted post because it discusses the timeline.......

Has anyone other than myself wondered why the dispatcher didn't hear a gun shot? I kind of assumed if he was interrupted while on the radio the dispatcher would have heard it. Or heard something....... He's in pursuit and then it's like he just hangs up. If he was in pursuit, wouldn't it be likely he would stay on the radio until back up arrived?

There is just something weird about the timing with the radio call, being shot by someone else and the disconnection of the radio call. It's not like someone would just wait for him to get off the radio being that close to shoot him at close range.

The way that call ended just seems so odd.

If I am not mistaken the button on the radio would have to be engaged (pushed in) for him to talk in order for dispatch to hear. If he is not pushing the talk button in then dispatch can not hear. jmo idk

Yes, Elley Mae has it correct. Two way radios are not like cell phones. Two way radios require the operator to depress the "push to talk" button each time they want to say something. So, unless the Lt. had his mic keyed, it would not be possible for the dispatcher or for anyone else to hear the shots over their radios.

I think he shot himself the first time right before the first or second call to dispatch. Jmo

If I am not mistaken the button on the radio would have to be engaged (pushed in) for him to talk in order for dispatch to hear. If he is not pushing the talk button in then dispatch can not hear. jmo idk

Obviously. If someone was close enough to him to shoot him at close range they couldn't grab both the gun and the radio. The dispatcher should have heard something if lt. CG wasn't alone. The radio should have picked something up if there was a scuffle of some sort.

The Mayor fed everyone a bunch of sentimental horse stuff about Joe's hope that the Explorers would continue to flourish after he retired during their 90 minute meeting.That has always seemed phony to me.

Joe didn't get the Antioch Chief Of Police job back in May 2015.Fox Lake's Police Chief abruptly retired at the end of August.I think it was perhaps Boo Radley or (disclaimer follows) someone else if I'm mistaken who explained that Joe's position as Lieutenant with whatever particular responsibilities he had made him the logical choice to at least serve as the interim Chief Of Police for Fox Lake.Joe not becoming Chief had to be a triple decker rejection sandwich.It couldn't have been a pleasant part of their meeting.

Enough to be the catalyst for suicide ? For many people it could be,all possibilities remain on the table for me.I pray that his family soon finds closure and peace.

The following link from Aug 8, 2015 announced the selection for the new Antioch police chief who was later sworn in during the 17 Aug 2015 village board meeting. This timing makes the disappointment of not being selected for the position much closer the the Fox Lake chief's suspension & sudden retirement.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150806/news/150809284/

Did something else happen in May 2015 in Antioch?

I think he shot himself the first time right before the first or second call to dispatch. Jmo

Really? He sounded so calm on both calls. I envision him calling the first time from just outside the weedy area he walked into. Taking a look around, walking into weedy area, calling a second time and then firing off both the first and second shots.

Yes, Elley Mae has it correct. Two way radios are not like cell phones. Two way radios require the operator to depress the "push to talk" button each time they want to say something. So, unless the Lt. had his mic keyed, it would not be possible for the dispatcher or for anyone else to hear the shots over their radios.

Based on the msm descriptions I was under the impression the call ended abruptly. Unless that was more media hype.

Based on the msm descriptions I was under the impression the call ended abruptly. Unless that was more media hype.

Well he or anyone else could probably hear the dispatcher directing back up on where to go. So suspects would have to be super quick to get his gun and shoot him. Then let him get 30 yards or 100ft away and shoot him again. Then quickly drop the weapon without making sure he was dead. And then run the opposite direction of possible incoming backup.

Hi all,

I've been trying to use Steelman's Map to plot the Lt's most likely route - based on the comments and timeline from his radio traffic.

Please see the attached image to see what I have so far.

Lt Map.JPG

I believe it was a little bit hype and a little bit fact.

When an officers says to go ahead and send backup, you (a dispatcher) doesn't expect to not hear anything more from them again.

Just curious if anyone knows how PDs typically choose their Chief of Police, etc... Do they typically promote from within? Particularly when there is a "situation" going on where there is an interim person put in the position and then a search? Antioch was obviously looking outside their police force, and ultimately chose someone from St. Charles. Is that typical? The reason I ask is that many are assuming that LtJ would have been the logical person to be put in as interim or even given the COP position ultimately. I'm not sure if that is the case. Anyone have insight?

Good question. Ultimately, each municipality makes the decision for themselves and the methodology varies widely. The Chief is an appointed position and they are "at will" employees unless they have signed a contract when hired. Some cities will only promote from within. This usually is welcomed by department members because it offers more opportunity for advancement. The drawback is the tendency of an organization to remain entrenched in the old ways of thinking & operating. It can be desirable from the perspective of the mayor & elected officials because this allows them to select someone they know well and someone who share compatble beliefs. Other cities do a "nation wide search for the best candidate" just to appease those who want a chief from outside the organization but then still promote from within. When there are significant internal issues, it becomes almost mandatory to hire a chief from the outside. Fox Lake's last chief, Behan, came from within the department. The fact that they are not continuing to promote from within (my assumption since this still may happen but seems unlikely) may hint at the severity of the internal issues.

Regarding the interim leadership of the department, I previously stated that I would have expected Lt G to be an obvious choice. This is base on the universal praise we have heard from the mayor, chief Behan, and others and the fact that he was currently the Lt in charge of "Operation" for the FLPD. There has been no official statement to address the reason(s) that the city did not choose Lt G who was actively seeking a position as a police chief. If the city was considering promoting anyone from within, that person most certainly would have been named as interim leader. When the chief resigns before a replacement is hired, someone needs to be designated to lead due to the paramilitary structure of the PD and the functional responsibilities of the police chief. Not only was Lt G was not designated as interim chief, he was not even the Lt that was chosen to lead the department after the chief retired. I believe it was the mayor who, during a speech, thanked the Lt who was leading the department. Notably, this Lt was never officially designated as or promoted to the postion of "Interim Chief" even though he was assuming the responsibilities of the position.

This town must be small. Because a LT is never ever ever expected at a scene or working the line of duty in a particular area before their start time.

A LT is a high rank for a reason. It means they are above seargants at least.

So why would a LT be out there. When he could have been in the office and chilling out at the beginning of his shift.

A LT is not starting a surveillance at 7am. Jmo

bbm

It was my impression that this task was either handed to him or he took it upon himself. Either way it was going to be an extremely hot day. If I knew I had to patrol this area, especially on foot, I'd do it as early in the day as I could. And it was closer to 7:32 than 7:00. Please don't stretch the known information to support your theories.

According to the structure of the FLPD, a Lt is the rank immediately below the chief. He would be the highest ranking officer and in charge of his entire shift. I can't imagine he would miss roll call & the standard meeting with the previous Lt to exchange pertinent information. It is even harder to understand why he would miss this for a routine patrol and then spend 20 minutes on scene.

This also reminds me of a question I have had for a while. Has anyone noticed that on the map made by Steelman (or just use Google Earth), it appears that there is a worn vehicle path through a grassy area between the water treatment plant and the abandoned cement factory. It looks like this would allow vehicles to access the entire area beyond the locked gate where Lt. G's car was found. Who would be driving this area frequently enough to wear this path? If this path would allow vehicle access andI the Lt was routinely patrolling this area, did he know about this access and why did he park and go around the fence on foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675