GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have to bear in mind that she was pregnant and had already made a mysterious trip to the hospital during questioning. They were walking a delicate line and pushing as hard as was deemed appropriate.

so that means they didn't pick up on her past tense references to Becky. I think at least twice she referred to Becky as 'was' not 'is', before their arrests. I would have thought interrogators would be trained to listen out for that kind of mistake.

I'm wondering if the police used deliberate tricks to catch them or if the police made genuine errors in what they said to NM and SH.

They told NM that blood had been found upstairs in his house, but it was in fact at Crown Hill that they found Becky's blood.
They told SH that the body was found in her house.

Was it to gauge their reactions? I would think it might be but then again it also sounds like it could be genuine errors in information passed down from investigators to those doing the interviews.

The interviews with SH seemed really tame, and it seems they may not have even suspected her of being complicit in the events at Crown Hill until May/June when the texts were found.

I wonder if SH's pregnancy forced the police to 'go easy' on her?

But I don’t think we are dealing with the twenty-first century’s answer to Fred and Rose West here – I think the driving force behind this murder was a more simple one, albeit with the same tragic outcome.
However, I don’t think it was an intricately planned, sexually motivated homicide carried out by a cunning and devious killing team. It was the culmination of jealousy and rage that had been bubbling away unchecked in the antisocial, dysfunctional and abnormal reality that was Matthews’ and Hoare’s lifeworld. Sometimes it sadly is that simple.
http://blogs.bcu.ac.uk/views/2015/1...watts-not-sexual-fantasy-but-twisted-reality/

Gosh, I wish AG and DG every chance of keeping together a strong and loving marriage. I hope they receive counselling to help them through what will inevitably be a bumpy road ahead. I can imagine if AG wants to maintain contact with NM this will be difficult for DG. Not that it is any of my business mind.

She and her husband trusted the pair and at first thought police had made a mistake when they accused Matthews and Hoare.
'When they arrested them we still said 'you've got it wrong',' Mr Galsworthy said. 'We trusted them and the betrayal hurts so much.
'We loved them - they were all our kids even if they had different DNA. It didn't make no difference. We loved them, they were our family.'
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3315250/I-love-says-mother-Becky-Watts-killer.html#ixzz3rHLIFPLw

I don't know if I missed this during the trial but Becky's friend Courtney who holidayed with them says NM would brag about having hit somebody with a sledgehammer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shyness-weight-worries-lovely-funny-teen.html

That made me think immediately of the joke SH had shared with NM on Facebook

"Nathan Matthews I have no idea why I found this soo funny but did xoxo"
Is there a non sexual way to eat a lollipop?
Smash it with a hammer and eat the remains

I really wouldn't be surprised if there are other crimes they are linked to.

Just for accuracy - that joke has been quoted without the punchline ("Settle down there, Thor!").
It's been taken out of context as she posted the complete joke.

I wonder if SH's pregnancy forced the police to 'go easy' on her?

This and maybe they thought the softer, friendlier approach would catch her out. She came across as confident and friendly to me and I believe this was her facade - 'look how nice I am? As if I could do something like this'. Perhaps by treating her gently as such they maybe expected her to become overconfident and trip herself up. Which she did at least with referring to Becky in the past tense.

so that means they didn't pick up on her past tense references to Becky. I think at least twice she referred to Becky as 'was' not 'is', before their arrests. I would have thought interrogators would be trained to listen out for that kind of mistake.

We have no idea if the interrogators made note of Shauna Hoare's remarks about Becky using the past tense. Or if they followed up with questions specifically concerning such remarks.

We've seen only a small bit of the interrogation video(s).

We have no idea if the interrogators made note of Shauna Hoare's remarks about Becky using the past tense. Or if they followed up with questions specifically concerning such remarks.

We've seen only a small bit of the interrogation video(s).

Precisely. I'm sure they are extremely used to picking up on such things. They're probably also very well trained to hide their reactions whilst they interview their subjects! For example, if they highlighted to SH that they had noticed she used the past tense, she would have instantly corrected herself rather than continuing to dig her own metaphorical grave.

Quite a good evaluation of NM. I would like to add though, that rape is not sexual, it's about power. NM had no power over Becky, so excluding a 'sexual' motive altogether is a mistake, imo.

Hmmm...a very well considered piece. Re comparison with the Wests and Brady and Hindley, how successful would they have been in evading justice had their crimes been committed in the 21st century technological age with abundant cctv cameras, mobile phone masts etc.?
I agree, Brady and Hindley had a tape recording of the torture of one of their victims, who knows what they'd have done with today's technology.

Precisely. I'm sure they are extremely used to picking up on such things. They're probably also very well trained to hide their reactions whilst they interview their subjects! For example, if they highlighted to SH that they had noticed she used the past tense, she would have instantly corrected herself rather than continuing to dig her own metaphorical grave.

The police woman definitely did well to hide her reaction when questioning NM, when asking him about the details like it was all a perfectly natural thing for him to have done. Not sure I could have done that.

It broke my heart to see they've decorated Becky's room 'as she would have liked it'. There's so much obvious regret at the quality of life that Becky had with them, and they're trying to put that right now. I hope it brings them some comfort at least.

Something that is of interest to me regarding NM - whether he had a head injury in his past. Fred West and John Christie both suffered head injuries and damage to the frontal lobes.

The link between brain injury and crime is thought to be damage to the frontal lobes of the
brain. Frontal lobe injury has been associated with loss of control over sub-cortical and limbic
structures involved in primitive impulses (Grafman et al, 1996). Lesions in these areas may influence
functions such as social perception, self-control and judgement, as well as emotions and mood. Thus,
the link between brain injury and crime may reflect the effects of brain injury-related cognitive and
emotional impairments on behaviour. An individual may misperceive elements of a situation, make
poor social judgements, overreact to provocative stimuli, and lack the communication skills to
verbally negotiate conflict or strike out impulsively.

PDF ijcst.journals.yorku.ca/index.php/ijcst/article/download/35161/31901

Darren said of Shauna, a serial fantasist who once lied about having cancer: “I got a bad feeling about her right from the start

“I asked Nathan a couple of times, ‘Why are you looking at girls this age?’ But he was in his 20s. We didn’t have any control over him.”

Meanwhile, Becky struggled with eating disorder anorexia at secondary school and was bullied over her weight, dropping to 5st aged 12.

But when she began eating properly and gaining pals and a boyfriend, Matthews’ nasty side surfaced. Darren recalled: “The older Becky got the more jealous Nathan got.

“He started jumping out on her. We thought it was just a bit of fun but he wanted her to be scared of him. She told friends that she was frightened, but she did not tell us.”

DG's words make me so sad. If you had a bad feeling about SH from the start, why have her as your wife's carer? Why have her in your home so often?

If he knew that Nathan wanted Becky to be scared of him, why didn't he do something about it? Why give him free access to your house, especially when Becky was there? He says that Nathan's jealousy got worse towards Becky, but did anyone do anything?

If he thought Nathan was looking at young girls inappropriately, why not put more barriers between him and your young daughter? He had some control over him - the control not to have him in the house, or go on holiday with him.

I don't want to be too hard on the family as they have suffered so much, but I can see what Becky's mum meant now. If only Becky had moved in with her.

I see the Mail have put this story in with the Becky ones. And the assumed theme of the female being manipulated by the older male is there again.

Girlfriend who groomed teenage girls online so her boyfriend could sexually abuse and rape them is jailed for two and a half years

A girlfriend who was groomed by an older man to introduce him to teenage girls who he then sexually abused has been jailed for two years.

Grant Francis and Hayley Morgan had an 'unhealthy relationship' in which she introduced him to his victims and even sat in a car and watched as he raped one of them.

Francis was 23 when he met 15-year-old Morgan who colluded with him in the ex attacks on girls between the age of nine and 14 between 2009 and 20011, the court heard.

The court heard how manipulative 'driving force' Francis, 29, directed his girlfriend to approach young children online, which she then did and reported back on her progress.

Police became aware of his depraved activities when they investigated a complaint from a parent about an indecent request made on Facebook by Morgan, now 21, to a young girl.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3314377/Girlfriend-groomed-teenage-girls-online-boyfriend-sexually-abuse-rape-jailed-two-years.html#ixzz3rHVpqvp4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
remosgrace32