GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
not so - a client can still be innocent and wrongly convicted. a barrister does not have to admit your guilt if you are wrongly convicted.

You misunderstand me. The reason why her barrister has to make submissions which recognise the jury's verdict (ie. that she is guilty of manslaughter) is because that is the jury's verdict and that is what he is now dealing with. You will notice that he did not admit her guilt and chose his words very carefully. You seemed to be surprised that in the case you dealt with the barrister seemed to be arguing against his client. When the jury has found a guilty verdict he has to speak as though their verdict is correct, but he doesn't have to say "oh go on then, my client was guilty all along"...

What is the Kibby (AH) trial please?

Nathaniel Kibby is accused of kidnapping a 15 year old girl and keeping her captive for around 9 months, before mysteriously dropping off near her home (dressed in the same clothes she was wearing the day she disappeared). I'm following that one too. Its a USA case.

You misunderstand me. The reason why her barrister has to make submissions which recognise the jury's verdict (ie. that she is guilty of manslaughter) is because that is the jury's verdict and that is what he is now dealing with. You will notice that he did not admit her guilt and chose his words very carefully. You seemed to be surprised that in the case you dealt with the barrister seemed to be arguing against his client. When the jury has found a guilty verdict he has to speak as though their verdict is correct, but he doesn't have to say "oh go on then, my client was guilty all along"...

No, that isn't what I said. But I would prefer to drop the discussion here. thanks. :)

Not a legal peep - but my bet is she had a massive pre planned hissy fit and has had to be calmed. I think February sentencing probably fits their family life more - one parent out of jail, one in.

It's hard to know where to stand with those two as we have heard nothing from them. I think they'd have been better pleading not guilty, but I also feel that both should serve at least the same amount of time (preferably longer as they were more complicit) as she 7 months Jamie Ireland did. It would be an injustice if they walked free when he hadn't.

Wallace said earlier, is it because they have to be sentenced together ? so if she is not fit ?? then they both have to wait ?
I have no idea.

I did also hear something about their situation, but as it is hearsay I best not repeat it.

When it was said that there has been a falling out in the family because DG is still with AG, I am wondering if they mean his ex wife TW and the Watts family are no longer speaking to DG and the Galsworthys? Tanya said Becky was the one trying to bring all her family together and she ended up not going to the public funeral because AG was there.

Yet again, I feel so enormously sad for Becky's mum. And I find it very understandable if she no longer speaks to her ex partner. I really dont think I would be able to either, in those circumstances.

Will this be like the Joanna Yeates case where after sentencing is complete a whole load more information comes out about the convicted?

No he wouldn't have to do that - he would later be arguing against a wrongful conviction. Here though, her barrister is arguing mitigating factors. "innocence" is not a mitigating factor.

So does this mean that she has admitted to him that she was involved? Sorry for being dim, very confusing to me!

Time to drop the discussion of other members.

:tyou:

Thanks Rach.

Might want to edit and replace with initials. We can only use her initials because of the nature of the charges and the fact AH is a minor. US law.

Here's the link for anyone who is interested http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-14-North-Conway-9-October-2013-15-**ARREST**

Just did. Thanks for that. It was in the news so much with her name when she went missing, and the many months she was still missing, that it slipped my mind that we had to revert to initials at this point.

I don't know what this means and it'll sure as heck confuse Beesknees! Can you elaborate, Joan?!
I scratched my head at the comment too but assumed I was just being a bit dim...

In other news..I've got major migraine coming on..trying to hold off having to barricade myself in a pitch black room until the sentencing is done

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I have Sky News on tv, sometimes switch to BBC but all they are talking about is that rotten 'Jihadi John' beast... almost nothing about Becky's sentencing :(

Just popping in to learn the sentences. Has it started yet? Don't want to read 27 pages if we're still waiting! If it started, just say yes and I'll start reading! LOL

I scratched my head at the comment too but assumed I was just being a bit dim...

In other news..I've got major migraine coming on..trying to hold off having to barricade myself in a pitch black room until the sentencing is done

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

An ear worm is something (like a song) you can't get out of your head/forget so I assumed a reverse ear worm meant the opposite, ie. you can't remember it

I have Sky News on tv, sometimes switch to BBC but all they are talking about is that rotten 'Jihadi John' beast... almost nothing about Becky's sentencing :(

Yes, he's the main story today. I've got Sky news on thinking they might cut to the court for sentencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CumulativeHazard