GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to burst your bubble, but don’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen. These people have already proven that they have enough money to buy off judges. She will get a slap on the wrist, just like her son did.

That's quite a strong allegation there - that the judge in Ethan's trial was "bought off". Do you have any basis for that allegation?

tonyacouchap147621813679.jpg

She does look strung out. Where's the dog, poor thing!?

For some background history of the family, here's a recent article: Records provide look into "affluenza" teen's upbringing

a brief history:

When Fred and Tonya Couch divorced in 2006, the court ordered psychological evaluations of both parents and Ethan, their only child. Fred Couch, now 50, told a social worker that their marriage had been a "mistake from the start."

He said that his wife, now 48, was addicted to Vicodin and had given the painkiller to their son about five times. She also kept his bed in her room and considered him to be her "protector."

Tonya Couch said the marriage ended because her husband had been verbally and physically abusive. She said there was daily name-calling, that he often grabbed her by the hair and that he once "threw her into a fireplace."

Ethan Couch said his parents had always "yelled at each other a lot," and he wished that they "wouldn't put him in the middle."

The social worker concluded that the Couches had "adultified" a then-9-year-old Ethan, allowing him to become overly involved in adult issues and decisions.

After his parents' divorce, the Couches' son lived mainly with his mother in a gated, 5,000-square-foot ranch home set on 6 acres of land in rural Burleson, Texas.

Tonya Couch had her nursing license revoked in 2012 for failing to disclose a reckless driving charge in 2003.

Fred Couch founded Cleburne Metal Works, which does large-scale metal roofing, in 1986. The company employs 40 people and has estimated annual sales of $9.59 million. Ethan Couch worked there after finishing school at age 15. It was unclear whether he received a high school diploma or GED.

It occurs to me, that we wouldn't even know this young man's name if the psychologist who testified at his trial had not created the word "affluenza" in his defense. There are so many cases like this - of juveniles or first offenders given great mercy by the justice system - and we don't know their names.

The psychologist greatly regrets coining this term. We would not know of this case, or really focus on it, had that characterization not been used in court about him.

In Texas, parents are allowed to give permission for their underage children to drink alcohol if they are at all times within sight of the child. There is no provision for giving OTHER children alcohol, and is a crime.

My 20 y/o asked for a glass of Chardonnay with Thanksgiving dinner. We allowed it. We would not have allowed a drunken evening, and we would not have provided alcohol to other minors. This is pretty much the purpose of the law, to give the parents discretion to decide how they want to handle the issues surrounding alcohol.

They have to actually purchase the alcohol, or facilitate the drinking in some way. I don't know if they did that - Ethan and friends stole the alcohol on the night in question.

There was a case here, where a teenager had some friends over, and after the parents went to bed at a reasonable hour the teens quietly broke into the liquor cabinet and drank themselves nearly to death. All recovered, but charges weren't filed on the parents because it appeared they didn't know or approve.

It occurs to me, that we wouldn't even know this young man's name if the psychologist who testified at his trial had not created the word "affluenza" in his defense. There are so many cases like this - of juveniles or first offenders given great mercy by the justice system - and we don't know their names.

The psychologist greatly regrets coining this term. We would not know of this case, or really focus on it, had that characterization not been used in court about him.

That same judge had no problem of imposing a long sentence on another young man for killing someone during DUI. But of course that young man wasn't suffering from affluenza. You can read here how she sentenced someone not suffering from affluenza. The guy was also 16 at the time of the crime so she can't use that as an excuse. He is still locked up, but of course he isn't rich.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...e-miller-outraged-couch-lam-article-1.2471292

I can only speak for myself but I am most angered by the lack of repentance and remorse in this case by Ethan and his mother. Some may argue that remorse isn't necessary, but to me it reveals empathy. That's why I happen to find remorse important. Ethan has never verbalized any apologies and he and his mother have demonstrated numerous sneering or smiling photographs along with actions which represent disdain for the law. One or two pics may have been a photographer's bias, but there are too many pics and vids that demonstrate smiles and sneers and a sense of arrogance which repulsed me. I am all for protecting children, but my children have always been called to task for transgressions. Part of being a parent is teaching right from wrong as painful to us it may be, and as evidenced by the defense, Ethan's mother and father have admitted a dereliction of duty. Repentance is important because if Ethan had grown and learned from his tragic accident, we would all feel that a wrong had been somewhat mitigated. However, breaking probation, then fleeing the country in order to avoid punishment demonstrates no further good or growth and is actually anti-social. He remains a threat IMO. And so is his mother.

The thing about this case is, the media has everyone right where they want them. Clicking on this story and sharing it. This is a media gold mine, and for the most part they have stayed far afield of reporting anything that may soften the hatred the public has for him. From what I've read in in-depth stories posted early on, Ethan has gone through a serious depression after the accident and became a recluse. The way one person ( a drugged out 16 year old) experiences remorse and regrets might be different from the way someone much more socially polished and mature expresses it, which might be through writing heartfelt letters to the families of the victims, or straightening their act out and vowing to have a positive impact on the world.

But that doesn't mean Ethan wasn't heartsick about what happened. But you'll never read that in major media stories now, because that might make the paying (clicking) audience sort of shuffle their feet and walk off in dismay at the sadness of the case.

That same judge had no problem of imposing a long sentence on another young man for killing someone during DUI. But of course that young man wasn't suffering from affluenza. You can read here how she sentenced someone not suffering from affluenza. The guy was also 16 at the time of the crime so she can't use that as an excuse. He is still locked up, but of course he isn't rich.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...e-miller-outraged-couch-lam-article-1.2471292

I know, and that's a bit baffling and sad.

That's quite a strong allegation there - that the judge in Ethan's trial was "bought off". Do you have any basis for that allegation?

People are just trying to come up with some reason for this very lenient sentence. Especially considering that based on the judge's record, she had no problem with sentencing a poor 16 year old to a long prison term for a very similar crime.

People are just trying to come up with some reason for this very lenient sentence. Especially considering that based on the judge's record, she had no problem with sentencing a poor 16 year old to a long prison term for a very similar crime.

Right. But I think that charge teeters on libel.

The thing about this case is, the media has everyone right where they want them. Clicking on this story and sharing it. This is a media gold mine, and for the most part they have stayed far afield of reporting anything that may soften the hatred the public has for him. From what I've read in in-depth stories posted early on, Ethan has gone through a serious depression after the accident and became a recluse. The way one person ( a drugged out 16 year old) experiences remorse and regrets might be different from the way someone much more socially polished and mature expresses it, which might be through writing heartfelt letters to the families of the victims, or straightening their act out and vowing to have a positive impact on the world.

But that doesn't mean Ethan wasn't heartsick about what happened. But you'll never read that in major media stories now, because that might make the paying (clicking) audience sort of shuffle their feet and walk off in dismay at the sadness of the case.

I missed the part where he straightened his act after getting off with a slap on the wrist for killing 4 people during DUI.

I missed the part where he straightened his act after getting off with a slap on the wrist for killing 4 people during DUI.

He didn't "straighten up his act". My post alluded to the thought that someone more mature might straighten up their act.

I don't know a lot about the time between his sentencing and the party where there was clearly drinking going on, except to say that he became a recluse and was despondent. The weekly parties he hosted ended, and he distanced himself from his social circle. He dropped out of high school. According to the early article. There is certainly no evidence - that I've seen - that he drove under the influence ever again after the crash.

No problem with breaking probation and clapping his companion on and cheering at a beer pong party, then fleeing the country to avoid consequences. Sadly, my children grew up very privileged, and I've seen these cases way too often. I am thankful for my DH's and my humble upbringing where we had families with strong foundations that taught us right from wrong and how to gracefully accept consequences. As a result, my children have turned out great IMO. And I've also been fortunate to make friends with others in very comfortable positions that have also raised their children well. MOO.

No problem with breaking probation and clapping his companion on and cheering at a beer pong party, then fleeing the country to avoid consequences. Sadly, my children grew up very privileged, and I've seen these cases way too often. I am thankful for my DH's and my humble upbringing where we had families with strong foundations that taught us right from wrong and how to gracefully accept consequences. As a result, my children have turned out great IMO. And I've also been fortunate to make friends with others in very comfortable positions that have also raised their children well. MOO.

My children have turned out great, too, and we live in an area very similar to their neighborhood in Burleson. But living in the same type neighborhood, I'm SURE you can come up with examples of kids who didn't do well although they had what appeared to be a very loving, caring family with watchful wise parents. So I'm not sure I'm prepared to take full responsibility for my kids turning out well.

On the other hand, in a nearby neighborhood gated community, there was video of a group of 5 teenage boys entering and burglarizing homes. Their faces were clearly caught on video, and one of them's MOTHER turned the group in. So it does happen that parents do step up and make their kids face the music. (In all fairness in this case, it seems that if the mother hadn't acted so quickly someone else would have). But anyway. Ethan did not have the benefit of a caring family, or good supervision, or the experience of having been made to pay the consequences.

Because his mother had had a tough life and wanted her son to not feel the bumps in the road along the way that help a child learn. And now we have this awful sadness.

Poor people who didn't have a caring family are sentenced to long prison sentences day in and day out. So this defense only seem to work for the rich.

He didn't "straighten up his act". My post alluded to the thought that someone more mature might straighten up their act.

I don't know a lot about the time between his sentencing and the party where there was clearly drinking going on, except to say that he became a recluse and was despondent. The weekly parties he hosted ended, and he distanced himself from his social circle. He dropped out of high school. According to the early article. There is certainly no evidence - that I've seen - that he drove under the influence ever again after the crash.

Are you saying the judge didn't even revoke his driver's license?

Very much in agreement with you.

Even without the use of that term, his adjudication would have been noted on a local basis due to the scale of the tragic loss of lives.

"Affluenza" set the course for the viral outrage. Actions and apparent attitudes since that utterance have kept it going.

I'm not without some compassion for this man-child. I don't disagree with his mother's attorney in that he is likely to be prey in the Texas prison system. Worse, even, than most of us care to imagine.

The predators within the system include those who might offer him "protection" inside TDC. Such "protection" comes with high prices to pay and those prices are too often more than just $. They'll take that, too, though.

Tragically, there are other young folks who enter that system every day. Some may already be "lost causes" but it pains me just about every day to see the number of young lives we give up on so easily. If we think about them at all.

My personal fount of outrage with this case flows from his parents' failures to do everything within their power to guide him to a better path, especially after he received the grace of a probated sentence but had a potential path to TDC in front of him.

I've seen/read/heard little to suggest his parents did anything post-grace than to continue on their own path of denial and enabling.

I think it's from the deposition in one of the civil suits where his father said he didn't think the family was "profoundly dysfunctional."

SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members