Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing in JM's book that's bugging me is the repeated description of TA's camera as a Sanyo... is the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 a Sanyo?

One thing in JM's book that's bugging me is the repeated description of TA's camera as a Sanyo... is the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 a Sanyo?

probably a typo. i don't believe they are the same.

i bet she still had pigtails when she murdered him, to keep from losing hair at the scene (derp, she left hair!).

i really would love to know where she was going with that gun & knives when they arrested her.... to mexico? to kill some people?

Hi Sedona, long time no see.. you doing alright? :seeya:

I'm doing great, just needed a break from all things inmate # heck, forgot the # already, LOL. I pre ordered Juan's book on Oct 3 and it just arrived today! I logged on a few days ago to see what was being discussed about the book and saw this thread. It has been a joy reading everyone's thoughts and quotes from the book. I don't mind spoilers, I am the type who reads the last page first. It won't spoil my reading enjoyment in the least. Thanks for asking.

I would think a Sanyo is a Sanyo and a Sony is a Sony, but what do I know? That sort of oversight is something I would think even Juan should have caught during the proofing process with the printing company -- especially if the name of the camera is used several times throughout the book.

But since the trial began back in 2013, here's something I don't remember anyone ever mentioning before regarding the use of the digital camera; anyone who has ever used a digital camera will tell you that you must first press (and hold) the shutter button halfway down to focus, then wait for the focus confirmation (usually a green light somewhere on the back of the camera), and then (with your finger still pressed halfway down on the button) press the shutter button completely down to take the photo.

So how were any of the three (or more) "accidental" photos taken? Considering the shutter button on digital cameras are pretty much flush with the body of the camera, just the act of dropping the camera on the tile floor wouldn't allow for the shutter button to move halfway down to the focus setting (nor allow for the time needed for focus confirmation), nor allow being pressed down completely to take a pic. And pressing the shutter button all the way down completely with your finger in one step (essentially bypassing the focus position) does nothing at all. I can't see how a tile bathroom floor can accidentally take pics with just one-click when your finger can't even do it.

Any Sleuthers have any thoughts or personal experience with this?

I would think a Sanyo is a Sanyo and a Sony is a Sony, but what do I know? That sort of oversight is something I would think even Juan should have caught during the proofing process with the printing company -- especially if the name of the camera is used several times throughout the book.

But since the trial began back in 2013, here's something I don't remember anyone ever mentioning before regarding the use of the digital camera; anyone who has ever used a digital camera will tell you that you must first press (and hold) the shutter button halfway down to focus, then wait for the focus confirmation (usually a green light somewhere on the back of the camera), and then (with your finger still pressed halfway down on the button) press the shutter button completely down to take the photo.

So how were any of the three (or more) "accidental" photos taken? Considering the shutter button on digital cameras are pretty much flush with the body of the camera, just the act of dropping the camera on the tile floor wouldn't allow for the shutter button to move halfway down to the focus setting (nor allow for the time needed for focus confirmation), nor allow being pressed down completely to take a pic. And pressing the shutter button all the way down completely with your finger in one step (essentially bypassing the focus position) does nothing at all. I can't see how a tile bathroom floor can accidentally take pics with just one-click when your finger can't even do it.

According to the handbook, it will still take a pic, it just won't auto focus, ergo the 3 blurred pics?

shutterbutton.jpg

Ah, interesting. I am watching the beginning of the day 29 Youtube video posted upthread, and at the beginning she is answering juror questions.
One of those questions is about what she did with the gas cans. She answers that she took them to her grandparents house, and was planning to return them to Daryl on a road trip to Monterrey she had planned, but wasn't able to take.

I am not familiar with the features of Sony cameras, but I'd think that the focus issue when the shutter button is partially compressed would depend on the mode the camera was in. Also, I shoot Canon, and I HATE have the focus being tied in with the shutter, so I changed the settings so that the focus ties to a button on the back of the camera. That way, if I choose to use auto focus I can do it independant of the shutter. I don't know if something like that was done with Travis' camera, or if it's even possible with that camera, just throwing it out there.

I don't know how to post photos, but here is a link to his camera. The shutter button is not flush with the body. I can totally see contact with a tile floor triggering shots on this camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-Stabilization-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000M4KXK6

I am not familiar with the features of Sony cameras, but I'd think that the focus issue when the shutter button is partially compressed would depend on the mode the camera was in. Also, I shoot Canon, and I HATE have the focus being tied in with the shutter, so I changed the settings so that the focus ties to a button on the back of the camera. That way, if I choose to use auto focus I can do it independant of the shutter. I don't know if something like that was done with Travis' camera, or if it's even possible with that camera, just throwing it out there.

I don't know how to post photos, but here is a link to his camera. The shutter button is not flush with the body. I can totally see contact with a tile floor triggering shots on this camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybershot-Stabilization-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000M4KXK6

I believe that Melendez testified that the shutter button was broken when the camera was retrieved from the washer so yes, it definitely was rasied from the camera body and could take a pic by being banged on the floor.

To me, the pic looks like it was taken upside down and her hair is the dark stuff. This is probably when the the struggle started.

Also, I wonder if on her fog drive to SLC, she was thinking: "Oh crap, oh crap - the camera"?

Could this photo have happened if she had the camera around her neck but it had slipped around to her back? And then we're seeing the ends of her hair and an uplifted arm?

That's a very good find. Weren't her receipts stored in an Airwalk box? I was thinking it looked like a Keds type sneaker.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Those Airwalks yes! Does anyone have a shoe sorta like that one they could put in a sock and take a photo? Then we could compare/contrast/kvetch/and overanalyze?

Even better, photograph it on a tiled floor?

I bet she bought those Airwalks specially for the occasion. With her bank statements, the purchase might be easy to trace. Also, don't you think it's kinda dumb to use fabric shoes when there's a lot of blood around?

I think she only wore socks. Travis would have seen/noticed if she came into the bathroom with socks on over her shoes. She wouldn't want to raise his suspicion while he was getting into the trap she had set (getting him naked, wet and surrounded on 3 sides) of the pics in the shower.
JMO

That's why I looked for an Airwalk ladies shoe that matched the profile in the crime pic, though I honestly don't know if that's the kind she had. Finding pics of her feet is as difficult as pics of her "broken" finger...

That's 'cos all her photos are selfies..... Most people don't selfie their feet.

If her foot is in a sock or shoe, where is her ankle/upper foot?

53216bookLcircle.jpg

I thought she might have set the camera to take shots automatically every few seconds. I believe the purpose of the sex shots was so she could experiment with all the settings on the camera, since she was unfamiliar with it. In other words, the sex wasn't primarily about the sex, it was about practicing. Jodi had certain things she had to know in order to follow through on photographing the murder as she had planned in advance.

Look at it rotated to the left, along the top, how flat it is and squared off:

53216bookLtL.jpg

Like a towel, not a foot. ;)

Ah, interesting. I am watching the beginning of the day 29 Youtube video posted upthread, and at the beginning she is answering juror questions.
One of those questions is about what she did with the gas cans. She answers that she took them to her grandparents house, and was planning to return them to Daryl on a road trip to Monterrey she had planned, but wasn't able to take.

I also re-watched that segment. Yes, JM's a genius. It seemed to be a huge risk, though, to catch Jodi on the gas can subject after jury questions? He''d have to depend on a juror to bring the topic up?

During that exchange about the gas cans (that's not the red blouse she wore in the selfie before the murder is it?), Jodi made it very clear about how manipulative and evil/charming she could be by her petty answers. I doubt this went over well.

Jodi is completely the wrong color of waxiness when the jury files out.

I think she only wore socks. Travis would have seen/noticed if she came into the bathroom with socks on over her shoes. She wouldn't want to raise his suspicion while he was getting into the trap she had set (getting him naked, wet and surrounded on 3 sides) of the pics in the shower.
JMO

His back was to her until it was too late.

One other thing, look at the "heel" of the 'foot', there's a shadow (looks very similar to the hair in the ceiling pic):

53216bookshadow.jpg

They had to have been in front of the overhead light to have the shadow there, placing them about here:

hallway4location.jpg

Those Airwalks yes! Does anyone have a shoe sorta like that one they could put in a sock and take a photo? Then we could compare/contrast/kvetch/and overanalyze?

LOL.. This, this right there is why y'all are such fine fellow trial -watcher company to keep. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa