Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #8

Jmo I guess about half of us here will be wrong in the end, if we ever learn what happened...

Bringing forward. This in response to a comment on 4/8/16 wondering if the family may have changed its mind about murder.

That comment by Lavaland crossed my mind tonight as well.

A killer running around in the city I live in bothers me a great deal however the thought of Cheryl putting herself in that culvert just does not feel right to me either. I just wonder if this was planned by someone very close to her? IMO

I am feeling that we will not hear much more about this.
I hope the family knows what they need to know.
I hope they find peace.

Gosh, if she committed suicide, I cannot imagine how her husband and son must feel. I pray they don't take it personally. If it were me, I would have so many emotions about it. How sad.

It looks as if the comments from Cheryl's mom regarding suicide have been removed from Celebrating Cheryl Deboer on FB. Wondering how long ago that was taken off? I just now noticed.
It also looks as if husband Mike's comment has been removed from MLT.com Facebook. Both the husband's and mother's comments are included in this article.

http://lynnwoodtoday.com/mlt-police-chief-shares-some-details-of-cheryl-deboer-investigation/

Just so you know, Mike:

“This women was my wife and she would never had done this to herself the police are still working on the case and there are thing the public doesn’t know. And the public should be worried.”

Mother, Celebrating Cheryl DeBoer FB

“As confusing as the news reports are, our family is unwilling to discontinue the investigation surrounding Cheryl’s death. It is inconceivable that Cheryl would take meat out of the freezer for dinner, text the driver of her carpool that she would be at the park and ride in 10 minutes, park her car, walk 1 1/2 miles, crawl through brambles and mud, put a plastic bag over her head and lie face down in a chhold shallow creek to end her life.”

[She] Peterson also asks anyone who knows anything or saw anything suspicious on the morning of Monday, Feb. 8 to contact the Mountlake Terrace Police Department.

A killer running around in the city I live in bothers me a great deal however the thought of Cheryl putting herself in that culvert just does not feel right to me either. I just wonder if this was planned by someone very close to her? IMO

Unfortunately there are killers running around everywhere. If this was a homicide or a suicide, you're not in more or less danger as a result.

People still need to be alert, aware of their surroundings, preferably carry a means of self defense. That's the reality of the world we live in.

Stryker has not been on this site for a while

I wouldn't read too much into Stryker not posting; I would imagine reading the discussion (despite how respectful we try to be) would be acutely painful, especially the pain of not knowing what happened, and why.

From the same article:
"In this series of cases, we were able to infer the use of plastic bags as a possible means of “self deliverance” from terminal illness, as defined by the Hemlock Society, in a small number of cases. Of these cases, contact with the Hemlock Society by the decedent was known in less than half. The stressor(s) leading to the suicide was more often than not readily apparent. Failing health of the decedent or spouse was the most commonly reported stressor. Neither this stressor nor any of the others specifically investigated, was exclusive to this method. Failing health as a stressor may be more commonly reported in those using plastic bags, in view of the demographic profile of our study population."​

In my understanding of this reference, Cheryl does not fall into the statistics because she was in a drainage ditch, we do not know of any terminal disease or failing health (although the family should be informed of that), there is no obvious stressor, there is no evidence of intent (note, etc.).

I don't think you need to fit into the intersection of all of the common stats. There will always be an outlier, like being outdoors, using a plastic drop cloth instead of a bag, etc.

I would say there is indeed evidence of intent of self harm with the self inflicted cuts. Or at least the ME said that.

As to the stressor or medical condition - we've no reports of the good or bad health of the husband or parents/immediate family IIRC, just reports that CD herself was in good health. It could be any one thing -- and the other interesting thing is that people sometimes take their lives because of a PERCEPTION not a reality. (i.e. my career is failed, I am a bad spouse, etc.)

Unfortunately there are killers running around everywhere. If this was a homicide or a suicide, you're not in more or less danger as a result.

People still need to be alert, aware of their surroundings, preferably carry a means of self defense. That's the reality of the world we live in.

Agree. That is just common sense. (meaning I agree with being aware of surroundings. Not in complete agreement there are killers running everywhere).

That won't do much to ease the fear, telling everyone there are murderers running around everywhere! :facepalm: Plus it's not true. The world is safer than we fear, not less safe.

But of course people everywhere should exercise caution.

I don't think you need to fit into the intersection of all of the common stats. There will always be an outlier, like being outdoors, using a plastic drop cloth instead of a bag, etc.

I would say there is indeed evidence of intent of self harm with the self inflicted cuts. Or at least the ME said that.

As to the stressor or medical condition - we've no reports of the good or bad health of the husband or parents/immediate family IIRC, just reports that CD herself was in good health. It could be any one thing -- and the other interesting thing is that people sometimes take their lives because of a PERCEPTION not a reality. (i.e. my career is failed, I am a bad spouse, etc.)

The bottom line is that, based on the statistics related to suicide by plastic bag, Cheryl does not meet any of the criteria except that given the 53 people between the ages of 18 and 92 who committed suicide with a plastic bag 25+ years ago, Cheryl fell into the right age range. That's not much to go on, and suggests to me that the research has no bearing on whether this was a suicide or a murder.

This is the demographic data on suicide by plastic bag 1984-1993:

"Over the 10-year period of review, 53 cases of plastic bag asphyxial deaths were identified, which represented 2.6% of the 2,052 total suicides investigated by this office. The demographics of the population using plastic bags are shown in Table 1. The mean age of the population was 72.5 years, ranging from 18 to 93 years, and women represented a slightly greater proportion (53%) over the entire study interval. There was a much higher female preponderance from 1984 to 1991, with women representing 64% of the cases. After 1991, men accounted for 78.5% of the cases. All of the decedents were Caucasian with the exception of one Asian woman. Two thirds of the decedents lived alone. Widowed, married, and single individuals accounted for 35.8%, 32.1%, and 24.5% of the total population, respectively."

The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology
Issue: Volume 17(4), December 1996, pp 308-311
Copyright: © Lippincott-Raven Publishers
Publication Type: [Article]
ISSN: 0195-7910
Accession: 00000433-199612000-00006
Keywords: Plastic bag, Asphyxia, Suicide, Hemlock Society

Mrs. DeBoer, I hope they never give up on you. I think it is time to bring in the psychics.

That won't do much to ease the fear, telling everyone there are murderers running around everywhere! :facepalm: Plus it's not true. The world is safer than we fear, not less safe.

I could rattle off 20+ local unsolved murders. And you only need to look at the rate of homicides to know there are also people capable of murder running around (because they commit them.....) I met a murderer the day before he killed his family - I was very lucky.

But of course people everywhere should exercise caution.

Yes.

The bottom line is that, based on the statistics related to suicide by plastic bag, Cheryl does not meet any of the criteria except that given the 53 people between the ages of 18 and 92 who committed suicide with a plastic bag 25+ years ago, Cheryl fell into the right age range. That's not much to go on, and suggests to me that the research has no bearing on whether this was a suicide or a murder.

As I've said before, the statistics don't "prove" anything. While I don't have the full article, and I do think some of the points around stressors and the frequency of this type of method being higher over age 50 are interesting, the point about the forensics being difficult to determine manner of death was very interesting.

It's so frustrating to not have information yet available to the public about what type of animal blood was found in her car. I feel like they could have sent this to a high school biology class and had results sooner. Again, very frustrating.

I think of Cheryl every day, especially with the other major crime happening so close by.

Once I began to accept the possibility of suicide then another plethora of thoughts came to mind like I wonder if she overheard something she was not suppose to hear. maybe that weekend or on her vacation. I want to say it but due to family being in here I havent so far so just use your imagination ...eekkk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sofamusic
Back