FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #2

I find it very strange that the Cohen's don't want the phone opened.

The father of a Florida teen who went missing at sea while on a fishing trip with a friend said Monday he will share whatever information is found on his son's recovered cellphone with the other boy's family and law enforcement.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2016/4/26/dad_of_missing_flori.html

The statement came one day after Cohen's parents filed for a restraining order, asking a judge to ban the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission from giving the phone to the Stephanos family before it can be examined by law enforcement. The FWC is the lead agency handling the investigation and has the phone.

Robert Heller, a digital forensics expert in Texas, said the phone could contain the boat's location, its speed, its direction, distress text messages the boys tried to send, photos they took and other information, assuming it wasn't damaged beyond repair. Even if FWC turns over the phone to the Stephanos family, Heller suspects investigators will download its data for safekeeping, if it is accessible.

"If they didn't make a forensic record, then shame on them," he said.

This is not the first rift to appear between the families since their sons disappeared. Last October, Pamela Cohen, Perry's mother, asked that Stephanos' parents not use her son's name and likeness while fundraising for their new foundation.

I find it very strange that the Cohen's don't want the phone opened.

The father of a Florida teen who went missing at sea while on a fishing trip with a friend said Monday he will share whatever information is found on his son's recovered cellphone with the other boy's family and law enforcement.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2016/4/26/dad_of_missing_flori.html

The statement came one day after Cohen's parents filed for a restraining order, asking a judge to ban the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission from giving the phone to the Stephanos family before it can be examined by law enforcement. The FWC is the lead agency handling the investigation and has the phone.

Robert Heller, a digital forensics expert in Texas, said the phone could contain the boat's location, its speed, its direction, distress text messages the boys tried to send, photos they took and other information, assuming it wasn't damaged beyond repair. Even if FWC turns over the phone to the Stephanos family, Heller suspects investigators will download its data for safekeeping, if it is accessible.

"If they didn't make a forensic record, then shame on them," he said.

This is not the first rift to appear between the families since their sons disappeared. Last October, Pamela Cohen, Perry's mother, asked that Stephanos' parents not use her son's name and likeness while fundraising for their new foundation.

Very strange. You'd think the families would want to work together to get it resolved.

I think at one time the families attempted to work together and the Cohen family decided they wanted to do their own thing (which is their right), and I think them splitting off and starting their own charity, along with telling the Stephanos family to quit using Perrys image and name, put a huge rift in what could have been a great working relationship. MOO
There have been other issues tossed as there as to why they are also not getting along, but at the end of the day if the shoe were on the other foot (with as quickly as the Cohen's have been on the lawyer front) I don't believe for one second Perrys family would have handed that phone over first!!! MOO

Final Text Messages Between Teen Lost at Sea and His Mom Revealed: 'My iPad Is Dead…I Love You'

The final text messages between Perry Cohen, one of two 14-year-old boys lost at sea in July, and his mother were revealed to PEOPLE by an attorney representing the Cohen family.

At 9:49 a.m. on the morning of July 24, 2015, Perry sent a text message to his mother, Pamela Cohen.

"Mom, it's Perry. My iPad is dead... I'll text you in a little. Love you."

"OK. I wanted you to sleep home tonight," Pamela responded a minute later. "I miss you. We leave Sunday morning for New York. What about your work?"

Presumably referring to homework, Perry answered back, "I've been doing it but I was going to sleep at..."

"In the interest of cooperation and to help both families learn more details about what happened to our boys, we accept the offer of Blu Stephanos to share the contents of the iPhone with us and the FWC," Pamela Cohen said in a written statement released Tuesday. "Therefore we will be withdrawing our lawsuit as soon as FWC receives the written consents it needs from both families to put the iPhone in the hands of the best impartial iPhone extraction experts available, in a proper legal chain of custody."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/final-text-messages-between-teen-213501537.html

Final Text Messages Between Teen Lost at Sea and His Mom Revealed: 'My iPad Is Dead…I Love You'

The final text messages between Perry Cohen, one of two 14-year-old boys lost at sea in July, and his mother were revealed to PEOPLE by an attorney representing the Cohen family.

At 9:49 a.m. on the morning of July 24, 2015, Perry sent a text message to his mother, Pamela Cohen.

"Mom, it's Perry. My iPad is dead... I'll text you in a little. Love you."

"OK. I wanted you to sleep home tonight," Pamela responded a minute later. "I miss you. We leave Sunday morning for New York. What about your work?"

Presumably referring to homework, Perry answered back, "I've been doing it but I was going to sleep at..."

"In the interest of cooperation and to help both families learn more details about what happened to our boys, we accept the offer of Blu Stephanos to share the contents of the iPhone with us and the FWC," Pamela Cohen said in a written statement released Tuesday. "Therefore we will be withdrawing our lawsuit as soon as FWC receives the written consents it needs from both families to put the iPhone in the hands of the best impartial iPhone extraction experts available, in a proper legal chain of custody."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/final-text-messages-between-teen-213501537.html

bbm, I find her to be controlling, considering that the phone in question is NOT her sons. She should have absolutely no say in what happens. If I were Blu I would let her know that what happens to his sons phone happens because he wanted and not what she wanted. I would be done with her. jmo idk .

New pictures show missing teen fishermen’s boat disabled before it capsized

Please note: The actual images referred to in this article have not been made public.

"We do know for sure that boat was disabled intentionally because the battery switch, which is very difficult to get to, was in the off position. That can't be maneuvered by the passage of time, the current, and other events," Rubin said. "The key in the ignition was in the off position."

"If the storm came and capsized the boat, the battery switch and the key would not be in those positions," Rubin said. "We want forensic experts in accident reconstruction to look at the boat and tell us what happened. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but I'm also trying to take it from a scientific approach.”

http://m.wpbf.com/news/new-pictures...ens-boat-disabled-before-it-capsized/39230594

I am starting to wonder if they were kidnapped off the boat before or after the storm. Something is weird about this . jmo

I am starting to wonder if they were kidnapped off the boat before or after the storm. Something is weird about this . jmo

I wonder if there's something on that phone the father doesn't want anyone to see?

This is what I have been saying there is a major piece of this puzzle missing. Not sure what it is, but there is definitely something missing!!!

If the boat capsized where was this phone that it was not lost at sea?

The phone was still there, the boat was TURNED off.
Are these kids alive somewhere?

Idk, this must be just awful for the parents. I can see the possibility of the kids turning the boat off and flipping the battery switch if they were taking on water due to the storm - "batten down the hatches", so to speak, and ride out the storm. It has been said that they were experienced boaters. I don't know what to think of the phone. I think it would have been placed somewhere dry in the boat to begin with. But I can't help thinking that even in a storm they might be trying to get a signal, and the phone would have been lost. I suppose everything happened really fast. JMO

Idk, this must be just awful for the parents. I can see the possibility of the kids turning the boat off and flipping the battery switch if they were taking on water due to the storm - "batten down the hatches", so to speak, and ride out the storm. It has been said that they were experienced boaters. I don't know what to think of the phone. I think it would have been placed somewhere dry in the boat to begin with. But I can't help thinking that even in a storm they might be trying to get a signal, and the phone would have been lost. I suppose everything happened really fast. JMO

I've never heard of anyone turning off a battery switch to "ride out the storm." But I can imagine they might have had some sort of engine trouble, and turned the battery switch off while working on the engine. During the time that the boat is disabled and they're working on the engine, the boat turns broadside to the waves and gets capsized. That's when a boat is most likely to be capsized, is when it's broadside to the waves.

This is the link to the whole report. It's long. Hope it's ok to share. (Sorry not quite the whole report, but the vast majority of it)

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/hphotos-xpt1/...e57712e5a61abfd7185eaf96b837&oe=5723AF5E&dl=1

I'm only halfway done reading this but wanted to point out and remember two things I've read so far. First - there was suspected foul play almost immediately but dismissed. Secondly - at 1316 Austin's phone was disconnected. No wifi signal, no data from that point on. The storm didn't hit until about 15 minutes later.

I'm only halfway done reading this but wanted to point out and remember two things I've read so far. First - there was suspected foul play almost immediately but dismissed. Secondly - at 1316 Austin's phone was disconnected. No wifi signal, no phone signal, etc. No data from that point on. The storm didn't hit until about 15 minutes later.

I am only part way through myself. It's crazy why did his phone quit getting signal? Were they to far out on the ocean I wonder?

So as a parent or owner of the a cell account are you not allowed to request cell tower information? It has to be done only by subpoena?

Here's a few more things after reading Brent McCarthy's report. Snapchat from Austin to friend JH "Peace out Jup" and "we're f'd" but day and date couldn't be remembered. On 7/23/15 Austin snapchatted with friend JF saying "Bahamas bound with my boy" and "we're f'd". A third friend was contacted, PC, and said he received a text message from Austin on 7/23/15 asking "do you want to go offshore tomorrow. we're going out far to look for structure".
This obviously doesn't solve anything. I'm just sorting it out in my head. I remember there were rumors early on, before the boat was found, that perhaps they ventured to the Bahamas.
What really intrigues me is what some of you were discussing earlier today about the motor switch being off when the boat was found. And other things were out of place..yet in place. And then in this report someone is saying they have video and suspect foul play. I have to go back and read that portion over again when I'm finished.
Back to reading...

So as a parent or owner of the a cell account are you not allowed to request cell tower information? It has to be done only by subpoena?
I think as a parent, this is a BS rule/law. Reminds me of the recent terrorists' phone issue (Paris?) where they wouldn't release the records. Someone had to work and work at it until they finally broke into it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back