MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Protesters blocked I-94 in St. Paul for nearly six hours, keeping uninvolved truck drivers and other vehicles from using an interstate. The shooting happened in Falcon Heights with policemen from St. Anthony. What does I-94 in St. Paul have to do with a shooting in another community? BLM already has a protest site at the governor's mansion. Why aren't they protesting at the capital building?

It's not been publicized much, but a vehicle with children inside led protesters onto I-94. The occupants then complained the children suffered from mace.

"But I do want to say that the people who made the decision to bring children onto the interstate made the decision not to get their children off the interstate after police directed them to multiple times," Linders said. "Had they not made that decision ... their children would not have been put in harm's way."
http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-w...icers-injured-102-arrested-rioting?source=rss

I'm not criticizing peaceful protests, but Saturday night's was not peaceful and was not lawful. It was more like a group that had nothing more to do on a Saturday night than cause problems.

From your article:

Scores of white demonstrators stood side-by-side at the perimeter to protect others from arrest. Many were taken into custody.

"There's a part of my community that's hurting, and I'm here to support them," said Brendan Kelly, 38, who carried a sign that read "Justice for Philando."

Hundreds more watched the demonstration from the grass on either side of the highway and on bridges over the road.

Once the heart of St. Paul's predominantly black Rondo neighborhood, the site of the protest has historic significance to the city's African-American community. Many of its residents were displaced when I-94 was built in the 1960s, devastating the once-vibrant neighborhood.

Protesters blocked I-94 in St. Paul for nearly six hours, keeping uninvolved truck drivers and other vehicles from using an interstate. The shooting happened in Falcon Heights with policemen from St. Anthony. What does I-94 in St. Paul have to do with a shooting in another community? BLM already has a protest site at the governor's mansion. Why aren't they protesting at the capital building?

It's not been publicized much, but a vehicle with children inside led protesters onto I-94. The occupants then complained the children suffered from mace.

"But I do want to say that the people who made the decision to bring children onto the interstate made the decision not to get their children off the interstate after police directed them to multiple times," Linders said. "Had they not made that decision ... their children would not have been put in harm's way."
http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-w...icers-injured-102-arrested-rioting?source=rss

I'm not criticizing peaceful protests, but Saturday night's was not peaceful and was not lawful. It was more like a group that had nothing more to do on a Saturday night than cause problems.

From your article:

Austin Jackson, 19, said police pepper-sprayed him and children who were in a vehicle on the interstate. Jackson said the children had been placed in the vehicle to remove them from the protest, but the vehicle was blocked by police on the Dale Street exit ramp.

"Eight-year-olds got hit with Mace," he said.

Steve Linders, a St. Paul police spokesman, said Sunday morning that "officers did not spray Mace into the faces of children."

Police did spray chemical irritant while protesters had the highway shutdown, but Linders said he didn't know if it was used around the truck of protesters that had children inside.

I am VERY familiar with the Rondo neighborhood. The protesters were offered University Av, next to I-94, which is today the heart of that neighborhood. They rejected it. The Rondo neighborhood was split in the 1960's, not recently.

I am VERY familiar with the Rondo neighborhood. The protesters were offered University Av, next to I-94, which is today the heart of that neighborhood. They rejected it. The Rondo neighborhood was split in the 1960's, not recently.

Do you mean a portion of University, I can not imagine they offered up the whole thing, perhaps a few blocks?

To me, using the freeway was a good choice. It was Saturday night so not many people would be affected if they may have to go to a job.

There are no businesses on a freeway so there cannot be any looting or destruction.

The historical aspect of the freeway is their story. Even if it happened in the 60's. I lived rurally in MN and people still talk about how some of the dirt roads were paved in the 60's. We talked about a farm that stopped production in the 60's. People have their stories and events that make their history which may mean nothing to anyone else

I believe "the display of that gun" is a flat-out LIE from the officer involved, trying to save himself from a murder charge.
I believe the lawyer. If it is a lie the girlfriend would be denying it in the media.
I am not at all saying CastIle was wrong in having the gun. The girlfriend says he has a permit so he had every legal right to carry and have it on him or in his car.
I do think it matters how the gun became visible. One thing she said is that 'If I had moved when the gun was out he would of shot me too.' That to me indicates that at some point the gun was not out then it appeared. One thing I don't believe is that law enforcement made it appear. The girlfriend would be telling every media source out there that it is a lie.
IMO how the gun appeared is very important in this case. It may or may not exonerate the officer.
One thing I have learned in following the cases since Ferguson is that anything can be said in media. What matters is what the evidence shows. All the way to the DOJ.

I believe the lawyer. If it is a lie the girlfriend would be denying it in the media.
I am not at all saying CastIle was wrong in having the gun. The girlfriend says he has a permit so he had every legal right to carry and have it on him or in his car.
I do think it matters how the gun became visible. One thing she said is that 'If I had moved when the gun was out he would of shot me too.' That to me indicates that at some point the gun was not out then it appeared. One thing I don't believe is that law enforcement made it appear. The girlfriend would be telling every media source out there that it is a lie.
IMO how the gun appeared is very important in this case. It may or may not exonerate the officer.
One thing I have learned in following the cases since Ferguson is that anything can be said in media. What matters is what the evidence shows. All the way to the DOJ.

The gf may not be talking anymore as it is a criminal investigation.

I interpreted the gun was out meaning when LE had their guns out not PC's gun

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...gun-traffic-stop-girlfriend-article-1.2706987

Philando Castile was shot and killed during a Minnesota traffic stop last Wednesday.

Philando Castile never presented his handgun during last week's deadly traffic stop in Minnesota — and the cop who killed him didn't ask if he was armed, the victim's heartbroken girlfriend said.

"The gun never came out, it could never be a threat. He didn't ask about it, he didn't know it was on his person," Diamond Reynolds said in an exclusive interview on ABC's "Good Morning America."

That is possible.
Sorry it didn't quote. This is response to the interpretation about the gun being out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...gun-traffic-stop-girlfriend-article-1.2706987

Philando Castile was shot and killed during a Minnesota traffic stop last Wednesday.

Philando Castile never presented his handgun during last week's deadly traffic stop in Minnesota — and the cop who killed him didn't ask if he was armed, the victim's heartbroken girlfriend said.

"The gun never came out, it could never be a threat. He didn't ask about it, he didn't know it was on his person," Diamond Reynolds said in an exclusive interview on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Now I'm confused, and it's probably my fault bc I've been reading so much and am merging stories, but I thought she said he told the cop he had a gun? Am I just going crazy lol?

Thank you. I have not seen this.

The I-94 protest was from Lexington to Dale, about 1 mile. This parallels University Av. Tell it to a long distance trucker that there was little disruption.

Now I'm confused, and it's probably my fault bc I've been reading so much and am merging stories, but I thought she said he told the cop he had a gun? Am I just going crazy lol?
I agree before she said Castle said 'I have a gun' and she screamed that he has a permit.

No, not crazy. There are several times in the video where she states that he informed the officer that he had a gun in his possession.

Woman: "...and the police just...he, he's covered - they killed my boyfriend. He's licensed, he's licensed to carry.
[man's voice heard groaning loudly]
"He was trying to get out his ID in his wallet out of his pocket, and he let the officer know that he was... that he had a firearm and that he was reaching for his wallet. And the officer just shot him in his arm. We're waiting for..."
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36733681

Reynolds: He told him to get his license and registration. He told him he was licensed to carry and that he had his gun on him and then he started shooting. He started shooting for no reason.
http://time.com/4397189/minnesota-shooting-philando-castiles-facebook-live-transcript/

Both links provide what they describe as full transcripts of the video.

This is different from previous statements from her that I had read (I tried to link, but could no longer find them). In one, I thought she said that he had a right to have the gun in the car, that it was legal. In another, I thought she said that she was the one who told the officer that there was a gun in the car, and that he had a CCP. What happened to those statements? I know I read them.
All from my memory only, if I can find them, I will link.

I agree before she said Castle said 'I have a gun' and she screamed that he has a permit.

Thanks! Glad to know I haven't completely lost my marbles yet, it's hard to keep so many stories straight, especially when the seem to keep changing.

The I-94 protest was from Lexington to Dale, about 1 mile. This parallels University Av. Tell it to a long distance trucker that there was little disruption.

My hubby was a trucker during the Vietnam protests in the early 70's. He joined the protest with his truck on University Avenue.

The freeway is not the only route. It is not as if freeways are not shut down all of the time to one lane for repair. Those traffic jams are the worst. I imagine they would know alternate routes. Lots of drivers like to go in the middle of the night when there is little or no traffic.

Thanks! Glad to know I haven't completely lost my marbles yet, it's hard to keep so many stories straight, especially when the seem to keep changing.
Changing stories and the way words can be interpreted to me are the reasons why I think it is so important to wait for the evidence to come before assigning guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member