MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traffic stops are one of the best tools LE has. Many notorious criminals have been caught because an officer did his job and stopped a car Timothy J. McVeigh. Ted Bundy , terrorists and thousands of other criminals. My point is its necessary. MOO

Timothy McVeigh’s traffic stop only resulted in him being changed with some stupid irrelevant misdemeanor charges. It had zero to do with him being linked to the terror attack. Which he would have been arrested for regardless of that traffic stop. Same for Ted Bundy. Both of them would have been charged with their crimes, even without the traffic stops.

Anyway we all know that if the police had unlimited powers to just walk into people’s homes, and search without warrants, that more crimes would be solved. But that’s not the type of country we are living in, or the type of country that most people would want to live in.

Other criteria - like not killing anyone. I read the article!!

76% reduction in homicides, 69% reduction in firearm assaults.

And people still want to complain. You're reducing these young people being given redirection, mentoring and opportunities in life to "other criteria - like not killing anyone".

I don't quite understand what the problem is.

Because detailed FBI data on crime can lag by several years, the most-cited statistics on this point refer to 2009 data. According to that data, out of all violent crimes in which someone was charged, black Americans were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the country’s 75 biggest counties — despite the fact that black Americans made up just 15 percent of the population in those places.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.38ef5609daec

So with a 15% population 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the country’s 75 biggest counties were committed by blacks and we are led to believe it is the police's fault for doing their jobs when the assailant does not comply with the arresting officer and ends up dead. Because we all know if they are armed they are going to shot and kill the officer. No one should ever think it is OK to do any thing illegal and get away with it.

bbm

Because detailed FBI data on crime can lag by several years, the most-cited statistics on this point refer to 2009 data. According to that data, out of all violent crimes in which someone was charged, black Americans were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the country’s 75 biggest counties — despite the fact that black Americans made up just 15 percent of the population in those places.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.38ef5609daec

So with a 15% population 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the country’s 75 biggest counties were committed by blacks and we are led to believe it is the police's fault for doing their jobs when the assailant does not comply with the arresting officer and ends up dead. Because we all know if they are armed they are going to shot and kill the officer. No one should ever think it is OK to do any thing illegal and get away with it.

bbm

I thought that the US had the trial by jury thing? No? Death penalty by police?

From the article

According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis published last week, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

U.S. police officers have shot and killed the exact same number of unarmed white people as they have unarmed black people: 50 each. But because the white population is approximately five times larger than the black population, that means unarmed black Americans were five times as likely as unarmed white Americans to be shot and killed by a police officer.

From the article

According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis published last week, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

U.S. police officers have shot and killed the exact same number of unarmed white people as they have unarmed black people: 50 each. But because the white population is approximately five times larger than the black population, that means unarmed black Americans were five times as likely as unarmed white Americans to be shot and killed by a police officer.

Perhaps unarmed, white Americans are more likely to comply with police commands than unarmed black Americans?

Perhaps unarmed, white Americans are more likely to comply with police commands than unarmed black Americans?

So if you are unarmed you still csn be killed whether white or black. OK. That sounds lovely.

So if you are unarmed you still csn be killed whether white or black. OK. That sounds lovely.

We saw what "unarmed" meant in Ferguson - using your body to strong-arm a clerk, and using your body to try to take an officer's gun. "Unarmed" doesn't mean not dangerous or potentially deadly. IMO

I am happy to see that there are many police departments all over the US working on solutions to cut down on killings . An officer who kills has issues that cause mental health problems usually. Police departments that are looking at community policing are being proactive for the officers as well as to lower crime in the neighborhoods they serve.

Officers are human beings and even though they have training, they are still afraid. I do not understand why people do not want to see approaches and solutions that are good for officers and citizens. Why don't people want a better life for everyone?

As Paul Wellstone said, " We all do better when we all do better."

bbm

What I read is that 75% of the biggest counties that comprise of 15% blacks are committing 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults. That is what I read out of it. This according to the FBI.

I am happy to see that there are many police departments all over the US working on solutions to cut down on killings . An officer who kills has issues that cause mental health problems usually. Police departments that are looking at community policing are being proactive for the officers as well as to lower crime in the neighborhoods they serve.

Officers are human beings and even though they have training, they are still afraid. I do not understand why people do not want to see approaches and solutions that are good for officers and citizens. Why don't people want a better life for everyone?

Maybe community organizers can work on crime in their areas. That would help. jmo

From the article

bbm, so if cops shot 250 more whites then it would be even, as far as the numbers game goes. Maybe it's because blacks commit more crimes that the #'s are what they are. jmo

I like how some people point out that when a person who is black speaks, the person is held up as the voice of all blacks.

White people get to have multiple voices and are not touted as the voice of white America. One person spoke and said there needs to be more money. Can't run police on a shoe string budget.

The woman who spoke about abolishing police talked about a community method.

I have retired to a foreign country and they have a local force that deals with issues between people , thefts, Not sure what else. They are there to smoothe the waters, but it is sometimes difficult as everyone is related to everyone.

There used to be a man who was to be called to handle disputes but no money for that.

There is the military police who handle big crimes. Not sure who to call or why. The idea the BLM matters woman proposes is not that wild. I imagine there are examples of this model in other places.

Yeah, in Muslim communities, Sharia law is enforced, whether it is the law of the land or not. Works out well for the men anyway, who cares about the women and children.
MOO

bbm, so if cops shot 250 more whites then it would be even, as far as the numbers game goes. Maybe it's because blacks commit more crimes that the #'s are what they are. jmo

I do have to say that the US has always given me the impression that you guys spend too much time and effort on the genetic expression of skin pigmentation.
Maybe that's something to look into.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/32441818/...-gun-key-part-of-final-moments?autostart=true

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The final moments before Philando Castile was killed by a police officer during a traffic stop in suburban St. Paul revolved around a gun he was licensed to carry, trained to use safely and instructed to tell authorities about when stopped.

St. Anthony police training documents outline how an officer should respond to traffic stops. According to the documents, if an officer believes it's a high-risk stop - as one involving an armed robbery suspect would likely be - he should have the driver and others exit the car before approaching the vehicle, while officers take cover and draw their weapons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/u...ed-with-instagram-tweets-and-emojis.html?_r=0

While police departments across the United States have been the targets of anger and protests over the shooting deaths of black men, social media users have flocked to the accounts of an Arkansas police officer who offers a starkly different view of community policing — one that involves snacks, dancing and even a Slip ‘N Slide.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/u...ed-with-instagram-tweets-and-emojis.html?_r=0

While police departments across the United States have been the targets of anger and protests over the shooting deaths of black men, social media users have flocked to the accounts of an Arkansas police officer who offers a starkly different view of community policing — one that involves snacks, dancing and even a Slip ‘N Slide.

Love it. Instead of all of the negative naysayers, there are police doing positive things across America .

What is the effect of weed calming or aggression? Is driving while under the influence of weed considered DUI in Minnesota? Is a gun whether permitted or not safe in the hands of someone deemed under the influence in Minnesota?

Love it. Instead of all of the negative naysayers, there are police doing positive things across America .
Yes it is nice to see the positive moves law enforcement is trying to make to make our communities safer.
Wouldn't it be nice to see the side doing the same thing? Something as simple as waiting for an investigation to conclude before doing media rounds stirring up people.
We have seen many times where out of control protests have caused so many problems going as far as burning down parts of cities. Then when the evidence comes out the law enforcement officers are found not guilty. Yet the damage is already done. These officers are cleared not just on the local level, but by the DOJ.
It is such a simple thing to wait before things happen that can never be undone.
IMO, if a person or organization believes there is not a proper investigation going on there are pressures that can be put on the agency to do a proper investigation without inciting what we have seen. They just need to make sure they have the facts first, and not do it because of anyone wanting to stir trouble.
The problem will never be solved until both sides are willing to come together and work to better communities.

Because racism is still a huge issue and the racists love to use any excuse to justify the police killings. To be fair, here in Orange County, CA where I live-arguably the most conservative county in a generally liberal state, two Fullerton police officers brutally murdered a white mentally disabled young man by beating him to death and got off because of the refusal of people to blame cops for any wrong doing.

I think a large part of the problem is the publics outright refusal to ever hold LE responsible for their brutality when all it does is unfairly taint the good cops. I would think public and LE would want to prosecute the bad cops and get them off the streets.

But, make no mistake racism still plays a huge role. Certainly things have improved from the days that MLK was marching but, unfortunately, it is that very improvement that tends to make racists even angrier. Can't get much worse than an African American President for them. Especially one in his last year of office with a 54% approval rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa