Australia - Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, slain, Pimpama River, Qld, 30 Oct 2015 #1 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
jealousy would cause such an extreme reaction... maybe old Rick was suddenly faced with the situation that he had a rival for Tia's body, which would be enough to kill.. my contention is that it is the most likely reason for that kind of reaction, I find it hard to believe that it happened like Thorburn says, he did it for his son, to save his son from consequences... doesn't sound true to me, killing requires terrific passion, and blind illogical rage, mostly.

one thing we don't know, is how he killed her.. strangled? beaten. ?? no one has said exactly how and that has a bearing on how I see this crime being committed... but for now, I'm going with jealous rage.
Hey Trooper where did you read that the old Rick said he killed her to protect his son? I thought it was just 'Police will alleged he killed her'

The reason why I ask is because I am wondering could it have been an accident. I'm thinking along the lines of how Daniel was killed. It wouldn't take much to over power a 12 year old girl. If she was grabbed or hit to stop her from running or mouth covered to stop her from screaming and it went too far. Then they panicked and dump her body?
Maybe I'm just struggling to comprehend how someone in a position such as theirs could intentionally murder a vulnerable little girl.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

OT slightly, but having worked in the child protection area (not Qld) for many years, I know that you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. We did the best we could with the resources we had, but the 'system' eventually got the better of most of us and we left. Since Australia closed many group homes in favour of foster care, we were constantly seeking foster families for everyday kids and the really disadvantaged kids with challenging behaviours. Any inquiry should look at motivation to foster - not what they say, but what they do.

In Qld there is the 'working with children' blue card. This system was introduced quite a few years ago. I was working in international education (homestay) at the time. Was better than nothing and did give some protection, but it really only weeded out the people already with a record in Qld. I relied more on my gut reaction in approving people, along with the blue card. This certainly did not weed potential murders, abusers or even suicide within a family. No one really knows what goes on within a family.

Having said that, there appeared to have been warning signs that all wasn't well with this foster placement. Tia had been in foster care for 2 years before this without incident (apparently). I wonder why she was in long term care with strangers and not with extended family. The latest foster family in my opinion was inappropriate from the outset due to the 2 older boys - never would I have placed an under 18yo female in a family with older sons. Not to discriminate, but to avoid any possible sexual abuse or perceived abuse.

Sometimes in being so politically correct, we forget - or can't say "I don't think these people are suitable - I just have a gut feeling" or "Someone in this family can't get a Blue Card, has a criminal conviction from 35 years ago for driving a get away car in an armed robbery when he was 16 and for the past 30 years has been religious and has a family and have been a great homestay family in the past" What I am trying to say is that we really never know, but if in doubt, err on the side of caution.

Let's not forget the wonderful foster/homestay families!

AMOO

THANK YOU ..,. The governing bodies would do well to have a chat with you. Hey.... Who is really in charge of this country / state....who contributes the $$ ? Let's have a chat with the REAL people, as opposed to those earning via so called 'public service'

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...-operate-family-day-care-20160921-grlh63.html

The foster parents of murdered Logan schoolgirl Tiahleigh Palmer were allowed to operate a family day care business until April, it has been revealed.

Child Safety Minister Shannon Fentiman said police in April notified her department and the Education and Training Department of "alleged criminal activity".

"This was the first time that concerns had been raised about the Thorburns," she said.

"Their family day care approval was immediately revoked by the Department of Education and Training and their foster care approval was immediately suspended."

Hey Trooper where did you read that the old Rick said he killed her to protect his son? I thought it was just 'Police will alleged he killed her'

The reason why I ask is because I am wondering could it have been an accident. I'm thinking along the lines of how Daniel was killed. It wouldn't take much to over power a 12 year old girl. If she was grabbed or hit to stop her from running or mouth covered to stop her from screaming and it went too far. Then they panicked and dump her body?
Maybe I'm just struggling to comprehend how someone in a position such as theirs could intentionally murder a vulnerable little girl.

Daniel wasn't killed by accident. I hope nobody actually believes that 's excuse :O

And how did foster dad get an artillery of pills unless he had been working his doctor(s), maybe looking for 'Victims of Crime' compo because his foster child was kidnapped and murdered?

in the car is likely, I suppose...... I'm thinking where he was , Rick , that is, where Rick was when he found out about Trent and Tia.. was it at home ? . if so, I rather think that's where the murder took place. .. I see this murder as an instant rage thing. Nothing is thought thru, and nothing is planned, it just happened , like that , ..were they all in the car? that's where it happened.. did he use an instrument? a weapon?>. piece of pipe or spanners, to beat her, or did it with his bare hands, I don't know, but it has significance. The method of her death, and the locale of her death, even the time of her death, all has significance.

ok so I'm with you and I think it's unplanned. So 2 sons and 1 wife. Where were they I wonder? 29 October was a Thursday. Not a day for the food van. The 2 sons would go out Frankfurt Flogging on the weekends with the Dad. During the week who knows what they did? Sat around watching Julene running the family day care. Took selfies in the bathroom?
If she was killed in the house it must have been that night IMO he could hardly have been able to do it with the day care kids in the house. And if that's the case, and she wasn't at school on the day, where was she?

http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/Find...hildren/Relationships/Having-sex#toc-under-16

I'm no lawyer but from some quick google law, the incest charge reads as being more serious level than other sexual crimes. ( maximum life sentence)

I'm thinking that there may be more charges to come and they've just hit him with the one his confessed to (via social media). Remember, the police had to lay charges sooner than they expected to, maybe more paperwork/ evidence analysis to be done.

Yes, I thought too that the police may have been preparing more charges.

Her poor mother. I heard on the news today that she thought it was off that the FD was trying to make himself so prominent at the funeral.

I actually had to go to Logan headquarters a few weeks ago for something completely unrelated and saw a huge poster about Tiah on the wall. There were no other posters.

Sent from my SM

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...t/news-story/4707e9813a1263bf6f0694e1d52bd090

there are other sources for this claim, zoo.. I will bung more up later.

It just gets worse. They ran a child care facility ?????

The father or the mother are not child molesters, the father allegedly killed the girl to protect the son who allegedly got Tia pregnant, then the wife helped conceal the murder. I don't think the situation is an unbelievable situation.

Note: If the father was abusing Tia, he would have been charged with this crime.

<modsnip>. It was terrible she was killed by the father, but why does that make him a child molester, because the son had sex with her.

Daniel wasn't killed by accident. I hope nobody actually believes that 's excuse :O
Yeah ok I'm just referring to his version of events. Not necessarily believe him, certainly don't believe he would have dropped him back at the bus stop after he had 'his fun'

Thank you for the warm welcome! I haven't worked out how to quote or use this site yet, so please spare me some patience :) I have been a very avid reader for a long time though.

I value all opions and responses of everyone on here.* I personally am not trivialising this tragedy, just merely going off media,* police reports and the extras that come with that.* Every one let this poor young girl down, there are no two ways about that.*

there is absolutely no obligation on my part to take as gospel what Mr Thorburn says to the police who then report it to the press, who print it . Mr Thorburn is facing a murder charge and is most likely going to say anything that paints him in a favourable light. Mr Thorburn will say to the police the things he hopes will ease his invidious and unenviable position, and that fact alone absolves me of any obligation to believe one single word he says..

He most likely is a paedophile, the chances of that are far greater than him not being so. His son is. Mr Thorburn is no upstanding member of the community. He is , even out of his own mouth, a murderer. Of a child. I have every intention of proposing that he is much much more than the murderer of a child. And my substance for that belief is that he is a cunning and persistent dissembler, able to commit perjury with out a blink but not only that, convince and demand his own family commits perjury as well.

I think this murder, by Rick Thorburn took place because he was filled with rage to find his son had sex with the foster-sister... the consequences of that alone , on it's face would have seemed horrendous, but I think an element of jealous rage took over, and that sealed Tia's fate. I believe the father was a rival for any sexual activity that went on in that house. Either he hoped to be a sexual player or he had been already and was upstaged by his own son.

To me, nothing else explains the decision to kill Tia. The fact that he hoped to save his son from the consequences of his act are a factor, but not enough of a factor to kill the child, with all the consequences that flow from that. An element of sheer rage and uncontrollable violence over took him.

there is absolutely no obligation on my part to take as gospel what Mr Thorburn says to the police who then report it to the press, who print it . Mr Thorburn is facing a murder charge and is most likely going to say anything that paints him in a favourable light. Mr Thorburn will say to the police the things he hopes will ease his invidious and unenviable position, and that fact alone absolves me of any obligation to believe one single word he says..

He most likely is a paedophile, the chances of that are far greater than him not being so. His son is. Mr Thorburn is no upstanding member of the community. He is , even out of his own mouth, a murderer. Of a child. I have every intention of proposing that he is much much more than the murderer of a child. And my substance for that belief is that he is a cunning and persistent dissembler, able to commit perjury with out a blink but not only that, convince and demand his own family commits perjury as well.

I think this murder, by Rick Thorburn took place because he was filled with rage to find his son had sex with the foster-sister... the consequences of that alone , on it's face would have seemed horrendous, but I think an element of jealous rage took over, and that sealed Tia's fate. I believe the father was a rival for any sexual activity that went on in that house. Either he hoped to be a sexual player or he had been already and was upstaged by his own son.

To me, nothing else explains the decision to kill Tia. The fact that he hoped to save his son from the consequences of his act are a factor, but not enough of a factor to kill the child, with all the consequences that flow from that. An element of sheer rage and uncontrollable violence over took him.

Good post & i totally agree. There is never any excuse to murder anyone let alone a child, and that's what Tialeigh was a child. The whole thing is just incomprehensible, :(

The fact that he hoped to save his son from the consequences of his act are a factor, but not enough of a factor to kill the child
I agree. It's an over-the-top reaction.
One argument could be that their ability to take on foster kids would have been ruined and perhaps he thought that if he killed her she would never be found and he would never be caught... but dumping the body in the river was badly thought out. It seems like a hasty reaction.

The father or the mother are not child molesters, the father allegedly killed the girl to protect the son who allegedly got Tia pregnant, then the wife helped conceal the murder. I don't think the situation is an unbelievable situation.

Note: If the father was abusing Tia, he would have been charged with this crime.

<modsnip>. It was terrible she was killed by the father, but why does that make him a child molester, because the son had sex with her.

BBM, That is the biggest load of garbage excuse for murdering a child, IMO. What an *advertiser censored**hat if that is his crazy excuse, ugh!

Yes, some punters seem to insinuate that Tiahleigh should have been aborted and that her murder was an extension of the same values. I HOLD UP THE MIRROR TO YOU.
(my pleasure)

Hello Trooper & Possum - I do applaud your honesty, absolutely & wholeheartedly.

May I please throw in some thoughts re:

IMO the idea of 'incest' is abhorrent - certainly in its purest form, however here there are perhaps arguments with scenarios such as 'foster' arrangements ( no 'real' relationship etc)

then we come to the very real barrier, which is AGE.

at 12 years of age, no matter the development, street cunning, whiles & wherewith, Tiahleigh was a CHILD, and was placed in this family for her CARE, because her very loving Mum was having some struggles.

What at on earth was going on here? Dysfunctional + it seems ... And therefore (as much as I lament and abhor the situation for Kia) I also can't help but hope a (now 19 year old boy) can get some genuine help and guidance so his future life can be a whole lot less f%?%d up then his previous years.

VERY SAD....(Her mother was hoping to regain custody after spending years in and out of prison)........Just watching Tialeigh's grandma speaking on 7 News tonight and thought what a pity that she couldn't have looked after Tialeigh while Mum spent years in and out of prison, so that Tialeigh didn't have to go into foster care at all...MOO.

I know 5 sets grandparents who have put their retirements on hold to raise their small grandchildren. One mortgaged her home and fought DOCS in court and won in the nick of time before her babies were adopted out.

There are some beautiful people out there tiddles and I am blessed to call them my friends.

There is a daily mail article about a 56 year old Logan man who's wife had a daycare centre and he was charged with abusing two sisters. In may just before she closed it down.

I'm not sure the link can be posted. I haven't been here long enough to know what's kosher and what's not. Look at the time line.

But you are on the money.

There is a daily mail article about a 56 year old Logan man who's wife had a daycare centre and he was charged with abusing two sisters. In may just before she closed it down.

I'm not sure the link can be posted. I haven't been here long enough to know what's kosher and what's not. Look at the time line.

Welcome CS. May I just call you CS? I'm a bit concerned that I may get tongue tied with your name. :facepalm:

Please post the link you have. It has to be RT.

I'm pretty sure MSM articles are fine to post far as i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
medievalratattack