OH Columbus LEO Fatally Shoots 13 y/o after armed robbery, teen w 'gun' 14 Sept 2016

I think the child was running, then turned around, with the replica gun in hand...and that when he was shot. The bullet went into his temple and just above the ear. So he could not have had his back turned at the time.

Besides, if a dangerous armed robber is running towards other people, with the gun in their hand, it is legal to shoot a fleeing felon to protect others. They had no idea he was 13 with a fake gun.

So it is not just about being a that to the officer but it is about allowing a dangerous person to flee into the public and harm others in an effort to get away. He could have taken a hostage or carjacked someone.

ETA:Tyre suffered a gunshot wound of entrance on the left temple that passed left to right and slightly downward and exited through the right temple. The entrance wound was above the left ear and the exit wound was in front of the right ear. Tyre also suffered a gunshot wound to the left collarbone area. Lastly, he suffered a gunshot wound to the left flank. There is an exit wound on the right flank.

He could easily have been shot in the temple while looking back over his shoulder. He was also shot in the side toward the back.

The was 13.

Looks exactly like many brands of standard semi-auto pistol-- indistinguishable from a real semi-auto unless you are close enough to handle it and examine it.

In my opinion, the "problem" is that a 13 year old was committing an armed robbery, fleeing, and pointed a gun at a police officer.

if i am the police officer, i am doing the exact same thing, i am shooting this person in self defense,

he disobeyed orders, ran, and pointed a weapon at me, i don't care the age,

i am not going to wait till a shot is fired at me to find out if that gun is real or not, its not like it was a water gun

My very personal opinion here is that my life is not more important than a 13 year old boy's. Personally, I would wait for the shot, especially if he's running away. The likelihood of his shot hitting its mark is slim to none. Non-lethal force first. JMHO

My very personal opinion here is that my life is not more important than a 13 year old boy's. Personally, I would wait for the shot,

i find that very difficult to believe,

also, he did not know his age at the time, but IMO that does not matter

especially if he's running away.

somebody who just committed armed robbery, and is running away from a police officer with a loaded weapon and is disobeying orders is a serious threat to public safety,

i find that very difficult to believe,

also, he did not know his age at the time, but IMO that does not matter

You don't know my history, so I don't really think you can judge what I'd do or not do. And the age doesn't matter. As a person choosing to serve the public, the priority should not be to kill first. Again, JMO.

You don't know my history, so I don't really think you can judge what I'd do or not do. And the age doesn't matter. As a person choosing to serve the public, the priority should not be to kill first. Again, JMO.
But that's a hard mentality when the streets can be a kill or be killed type of game, even with police.

Age is ultimately irrelevant, because people of all ages do horrible things.

There's only so much criteria we can put forth to this; in the split second a cop thinks he's gonna be shot we need to make sure it's legitimate he's rightly using force to defend himself...but at the same time we can't expect cops just to risk getting filled with lead either.

I'm not interested. The officers didn't attempt to give chase. They didn't attempt anything other than lethal force, and I personally feel it's likely because the "man" didn't respect their orders and chose instead to run.

Like I've said, all JMOO. I'm tired.

He could easily have been shot in the temple while looking back over his shoulder. He was also shot in the side toward the back.

The was 13.

Nineteen kids under age 18 killed by law enforcement last year, 18 killed by law enforcement so far in 2016, 1,187 murder victims in 2011 (most recent number I could find via FBI), and annually about 450 children are intentionally murdered by a parent.

What are we doing?

So roughly 4% of children killed in the US annually are killed by police...?

The was 13.

Maybe. But if he was looking back he could have shot at the cops behind him as well. And he was a dangerous fleeing felon. He just committed an armed robbery. It is just as real with a BB gun when you stop someone and take their wallet---still a strong armed robbery. The cops don't know how old he is or if the gun was not real.

Who cares if he was 13. The boy who just killed his father and shot up a school yard was just 14. So big deal how old he was.

My very personal opinion here is that my life is not more important than a 13 year old boy's. Personally, I would wait for the shot, especially if he's running away. The likelihood of his shot hitting its mark is slim to none. Non-lethal force first. JMHO

So if a 13 yr old gang member, who just committed an armed robbery, was going to shoot you, you would be fine with it, and give your own life up, because he was 13? And then your kids would lose a parent, but this robbery suspect could live?

I do not agree with that position at all. I am not going to give my life up, as an officer, just because the suspect might be young. I have my own life and my own family to think of too. As well as the people around him, where he is running to. What about the safety of the public at large?

So roughly 4% of children killed in the US annually are killed by police...?

And what percentage of murdered kids are killed by other kids? Could the police be actually having shootouts with violent young gang members?

It is kind of disingenuous to say that x% of 'children' are 'killed' by police. There really needs to be some context given to that statistic. When 'children' includes violent gang members running from crime scene, it is a different story that it appears from your description.

Maybe. But if he was looking back he could have shot at the cops behind him as well. And he was a dangerous fleeing felon. He just committed an armed robbery. It is just as real with a BB gun when you stop someone and take their wallet---still a strong armed robbery. The cops don't know how old he is or if the gun was not real.

Who cares if he was 13. The boy who just killed his father and shot up a school yard was just 14. So big deal how old he was.

I care. 13 is a child.

So if a 13 yr old gang member, who just committed an armed robbery, was going to shoot you, you would be fine with it, and give your own life up, because he was 13? And then your kids would lose a parent, but this robbery suspect could live?

I do not agree with that position at all. I am not going to give my life up, as an officer, just because the suspect might be young. I have my own life and my own family to think of too. As well as the people around him, where he is running to. What about the safety of the public at large?

BBM. I would give up my life to save any one person right this moment and I'm NOT a police officer. Nobody would be "fine" with being shot but I would be willing to take the chance if it means I don't have to end another life. So I guess that's one difference between me and you. Not a judgment, just an observation. Some will be willing to die for others, and some will not.

It is a serious problem when anyone opens fire in the open on the street. Anybody could be hit. Like that little boy killed in his father's car because the officers didn't see that there was a passenger. Could have easily happened to the little boy in the car of the man who had been pulled over, the one whose death was streamed live on Facebook. Opening fire anywhere should be the very last resort in order to ensure public safety and that the officer doesn't unintentionally hit an innocent person. JMOO. I'm CLEARLY in the minority with that.

I care. 13 is a child.

BBM. I would give up my life to save any one person right this moment and I'm NOT a police officer. Nobody would be "fine" with being shot but I would be willing to take the chance if it means I don't have to end another life. So I guess that's one difference between me and you. Not a judgment, just an observation. Some will be willing to die for others, and some will not.

We owe it to our children to take risks to protect them. Police officers (and firefighters, EMS workers, parents, and random everyday folks) risk their lives for children all the time - where does the judgment come in when someone decides THIS kid is expendable?

I care. 13 is a child.

I would willingly die for many others---but not for a fleeing armed robber---so that is the difference between you and me.

How fair would it be for my granddaughter if my son decided to let a robber shoot him dead and die for him to live, instead of her father? The robber makes the choice to run the streets and breaking the law. Why should a police man lay his life down for a felon running from the consequences of his own actions? They already lay their lives on the line for the public at large just by being in the streets in their uniforms.

We owe it to our children to take risks to protect them. Police officers (and firefighters, EMS workers, parents, and random everyday folks) risk their lives for children all the time - where does the judgment come in when someone decides THIS kid is expendable?

Maybe because this kid was an armed threat to the officers and the public.

I would willingly die for many others---but not for a fleeing armed robber---so that is the difference between you and me.

.....fleeing 13 year old child lost in a violent world.

ETA: And he wasn't a felon YET. He didn't even get a chance to be convicted, so it's best not to refer to him by a title he hadn't yet earned in the courts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back